PDA

View Full Version : A Red X

Pell Mell
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Sometimes someone will send me an e-mail with images in it. The pics don't open and I see a small box with a red X in it. I right click and then click open but nothing opens. I assume I don't have the program to open it or some such thing. I know that the senders don't have anything special so what is my problem. I have actually had this problem for 10 yrs or more and with different computers.

It's probably something simple but this dummy doesn't know the answer.:confused:

JustRalph
06-02-2010, 11:37 PM
the server that is hosting the picture is not allowing remote linking to the pics...... you can do it a couple different ways on your server.....depends on how the picture is being displayed on their server (email, web posting, forum like this one)....it saves you bandwidth and server connections........too many people connecting and making calls for the latest picture of Britney with no underwear can shut your server down with too much traffic if one bozo sends out an email with the pic attached......he sends it to 25 people who forward it to 25 more and it about two hours your server has smoke coming out of it......with ten thousand people trying to download the pic or just see it inline in an email........

or

the email you received is not allowed to make outside calls to other websites etc. this is a security feature of your mail service provider.

The pics you can see, are probably hosted locally.......the same provider you are using or mail service etc. As long as things are internal......sometimes you can see just about anything. Or your buddy attached a copy of the image to the email he sent you etc.

your personal browser or firewall can cancel remote linking too....... if you are using a browser to read your email.......that can cause the red X
it's all for your own safety.