PDA

View Full Version : Barney Curley and the Big Score and the Big Laydowns

Foolish Pleasure
06-02-2010, 01:00 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/racing/closed-accounts-and-immediate-refunds-ndash-why-curleys-full-jackpot-remains-unpaid-1988729.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/barney-curley-nobody-will-win-as-much-on-horse-racing-in-100-years-1988728.html

gm10
06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
What a character he is.
I'm shocked about Sportingbet ... certainly an eye-opener.

Foolish Pleasure
06-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Sportingbet have robbed bettors in the past just not in abt the last 5yrs.

I am surprised that Barney would go public before he got paid.

thorobasePA
06-03-2010, 11:35 AM
There is a similar scenario going down at Wetherby this evening with 5 Irish runners from the same trainer (Michael O'Hare who is licensed to train 6 horses max) being backed heavily in multi-horse accumulators (parlays).

6.00 (3) Sammy Pat, 3-1 (from 25-1)

7.05 (5)Willie Martin, 4-1 (from 16-1)

7.35 (11) Vincent Pipe, 9-4 (from 10-1)

8.10 (1) Turner Brown, 9-4 (from 11-1)

8.45 (11) Bale O'Shea, 2-1 (from 8-1)

Frankly, I don't like these "gambles" as it means these horses are more likely to have been running below their abilities for months and the spectre of doping is also around.

Foolish Pleasure
06-03-2010, 12:34 PM
I am not that familiar with how it works.

But given the press over Barney's hit they are ripe for a head fake over reaction if that is feasible. I n esence pretend going to pull a BArney to drive the odds up of the horses they really like.

Scanman
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
There is a similar scenario going down at Wetherby this evening with 5 Irish runners from the same trainer (Michael O'Hare who is licensed to train 6 horses max) being backed heavily in multi-horse accumulators (parlays).

6.00 (3) Sammy Pat, 3-1 (from 25-1)

7.05 (5)Willie Martin, 4-1 (from 16-1)

7.35 (11) Vincent Pipe, 9-4 (from 10-1)

8.10 (1) Turner Brown, 9-4 (from 11-1)

8.45 (11) Bale O'Shea, 2-1 (from 8-1)

Frankly, I don't like these "gambles" as it means these horses are more likely to have been running below their abilities for months and the spectre of doping is also around.Sammy Pat was a beaten a distance (20+ lengths) back in 4th. Will be curious to see how the others do.

Scanman
06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Willie Martin was also beaten a distance and finished 4th.

Scanman
06-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Vincent Pipe was close up, then faded. Finished 3rd, beaten 10-15 lengths.

All 3 of his horses were in the hunt till the finishing straight, then they all flattened out.

horses4courses
06-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for posting that, FP.
Brings back good memories from 1975, when Barney pulled off the Yellow Sam coup. Wish I had been in on it!

It was always fun for the bettors over there to hear when the bookies were taking a beating. Didn't happen too often. That hasn't changed, either.

Many coups, and attempted coups, over the years which did not include Barney
Curley. The Gay Future episode was one of the most famous. It happened a year before Yellow Sam.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Future

Good times...... :ThmbUp:

nearco
06-24-2010, 09:49 AM
If you thought that one was like something out of a book.... the coup pulled off on Monday at Kilbeggan was definitely inspired by a book.... a Dick Francis novel. Apparently netted close to €200,000.
Nice going.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/d-four-dave-kilbeggan-coup-inspired-by-dick-francis-novel/733595/top/

IF THE betting coup at Kilbeggan on Monday evening read like something out of a Dick Francis novel, that's because it was.

The extraordinary coup closely echoed a plot in Felix and Dick Francis's latest book Even Money, published in hardback last September and available in paperback on July 20, in which 30 ‘juvenile delinquents' are given strict instructions to go into different betting shops and place a £200 win bet on an outsider called Cricket Hero, who duly obliges, exactly five minutes before the off.

In mastermind Douglas Taylor's real-life version, 200 ‘runners', paid between €10 and €30, were instructed to place a €200 win bet on D Four Dave, part-owned by the managing director of the MCR Group, five minutes before the off of the Hurley Family Handicap Hurdle at 7.00.

All were given a letter which was obtained by the Irish Racing Post - with detailed instructions as to how to carry out the task and a watch to ensure all bets were placed at exactly the same time in separate betting shops around the Dublin and Kildare area.

"I wouldn't say it was months in the planning, weeks maybe," said Taylor yesterday, "but it was polished after reading Even Money.

"It didn't cost that much to organise. The watches were €6 each - and I'm hoping to flog those for €10 each soon. There were only five cars used with five lads supervising them.

"I got married on Saturday last and people were asking me was I nervous. I was telling them ‘yes' - but I meant I was nervous about Monday.

"The run-up to it was almost as exciting as anything else,there was a great buzz in the office. A big gang here were involved in programming the watches and writing out the betting slips."

The Conor O'Dwyer-trained D Four Dave was available at 14-1 on the morning of the great gamble andopened up at 7-1 on course, but was sent off at just 5-1 and galloped to an easy victory under Mark Walsh.

horses4courses
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
If you thought that one was like something out of a book.... the coup pulled off on Monday at Kilbeggan was definitely inspired by a book.... a Dick Francis novel. Apparently netted close to €200,000.
Nice going.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/d-four-dave-kilbeggan-coup-inspired-by-dick-francis-novel/733595/top/

IF THE betting coup at Kilbeggan on Monday evening read like something out of a Dick Francis novel, that's because it was.

The extraordinary coup closely echoed a plot in Felix and Dick Francis's latest book Even Money, published in hardback last September and available in paperback on July 20, in which 30 ‘juvenile delinquents' are given strict instructions to go into different betting shops and place a £200 win bet on an outsider called Cricket Hero, who duly obliges, exactly five minutes before the off.

In mastermind Douglas Taylor's real-life version, 200 ‘runners', paid between €10 and €30, were instructed to place a €200 win bet on D Four Dave, part-owned by the managing director of the MCR Group, five minutes before the off of the Hurley Family Handicap Hurdle at 7.00.

All were given a letter which was obtained by the Irish Racing Post - with detailed instructions as to how to carry out the task and a watch to ensure all bets were placed at exactly the same time in separate betting shops around the Dublin and Kildare area.

"I wouldn't say it was months in the planning, weeks maybe," said Taylor yesterday, "but it was polished after reading Even Money.

"It didn't cost that much to organise. The watches were €6 each - and I'm hoping to flog those for €10 each soon. There were only five cars used with five lads supervising them.

"I got married on Saturday last and people were asking me was I nervous. I was telling them ‘yes' - but I meant I was nervous about Monday.

"The run-up to it was almost as exciting as anything else,there was a great buzz in the office. A big gang here were involved in programming the watches and writing out the betting slips."

The Conor O'Dwyer-trained D Four Dave was available at 14-1 on the morning of the great gamble andopened up at 7-1 on course, but was sent off at just 5-1 and galloped to an easy victory under Mark Walsh.

Nice one! :ThmbUp:

I'm sure that this would have brought a smile to the late Dick Francis's face.