PDA

View Full Version : Lava Man working

joanied
06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57253/lava-man-settles-into-role-as-stable-pony

:D No...not for racing. Thought if anyone hasn't seen this, it's a feel good thing. Lava Man has be 'retrained' for western saddle and goes bitless (hackamore)...he's the stable pony and seems to be loving his new job.
I think this is wonderful:jump:

kenwoodall2
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Yes, and I think racing can do better at listing where former champs can be seen!

joanied
06-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Yes, and I think racing can do better at listing where former champs can be seen!

Agreed...sometimes you have to hunt up info on the good ones that have been retired...another thing they have let go is posting photos and info on the better broodmares and their babies...BH mag used to run several photos every week of the foals out of the better mares...not any more :faint:

horses4courses
06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm glad that he is enjoying himself....he deserves it, for sure.

I understand that Doug O'Neill, and others in the ownership syndicate were not 100% behind that last comeback attempt.

Apparently, one of the key owners is not short in the ego department... :rolleyes:

Good to hear Lava Man is doing well now! :ThmbUp:

joanied
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm glad that he is enjoying himself....he deserves it, for sure.

I understand that Doug O'Neill, and others in the ownership syndicate were not 100% behind that last comeback attempt.

Apparently, one of the key owners is not short in the ego department... :rolleyes:

Good to hear Lava Man is doing well now! :ThmbUp:

And no doubt, they'll keep him as the stable pony for as long as he is happy...that stem cell they did on him maybe didn't allow him to 'come back' to form, but if at the very least, it keeps him free from pain and allows him to continue working at the track, then, IMO, it was well worth it.

I think just about everyone knew it was at least one owners ego trip to bring him back.
But...you know what they say..."all's well that ends well"

Deepsix
06-01-2010, 05:02 PM
This brief detour on the hackamore topic reminded me of a favorite movie "Tom Horn" inwhich he had a well trained horse on hackamore. During my horse owning experience I've worked only a couple from snaffle through hackamore but I sure appreciate the horsemanship. This link is kind of 'romantic' for us old guys. (I expect to be chastised for this non-racing topic, but..... lol )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScfr9h-bkE&feature=related

joanied
06-01-2010, 05:10 PM
This brief detour on the hackamore topic reminded me of a favorite movie "Tom Horn" inwhich he had a well trained horse on hackamore. During my horse owning experience I've worked only a couple from snaffle through hackamore but I sure appreciate the horsemanship. This link is kind of 'romantic' for us old guys. (I expect to be chastised for this non-racing topic, but..... lol )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScfr9h-bkE&feature=related

Not from me!! Very good video for anyone that doesn't know much about the Hackamore.
That they got Lava Man using one is a testament to whoever it was that worked with him...and no doubt, Lava man is happy not to have a bit in his mouth.
One of our horses went in one...even in the mountains (Elk hunting)...it's a wonderful way to ride...the horse really appreciates it.

Deepsix
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Just to close the topic~ Hackamore is the english cowboy's interpretation of the mexican term "Jaquima"..... because of the poor english translation Ha-qui'ma became Hackamore. Most western tack has its roots on Mexico.

'Ole

CryingForTheHorses
06-03-2010, 12:13 PM
I also have a pony that is a retired warrior,Even know he wasnt a stakes winner,He made more appearances on the track then Johnny Carson on his late nite show...This old guy ran from Santa Rosa to Florida.He made almost 300k the hard way..Shame nobody ever gives these old claimers credit because they never won a stake.This guy has a very busy morning protecting my owners investment by walking to and from the track each morning making sure the horse is safe along with my wife..Life for him is sweet as the rigors of racing cooked his knees.No matter where you go all tracks have these claimers that make for the bulk of the racing fields. Its a pity that they dont get any respect. His name is Atlas peak...aka The Peakster

joanied
06-03-2010, 12:21 PM
McSchell...absolutley agree about the lower level horses not getting repsect...they race their hearts out, endure more crap than the high level horses, and usually get nothing less than a kick in the ass when they are done racing...it's shameful.
Your Peakster is a lucky horse...and no doubt, a very happy horse...I commend what you have done for him:ThmbUp: and wish we had more good endings like this one...thanks for telling his story...stuff like that makes my heart feel good.
:)

mcschellfan
06-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I've actually have the pleasure of knowing the 'Peakster.' He is in the end stall of McSchell's shedrow. He even let himself out one morning to fix his breakfast, as being in charge has its priviledges:)
It is so neat that guys like him are thought of here. It's almost like the player at the end of his career, becoming a coach. Thanks to people like Tom and Lisa, horses like Peakster, have second chances, and go on to enhance people's lives, on, and off, the track.

Si2see
06-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Peakster was our very own horse, and now he watches over our other horses... you couldn't ask for any better people in this game than Tom and Lisa have been both to us as owners, anf especially to our horses

wizard_of_odds
06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Judges Case,Bob Bull,Silversandsoftime,The list goes on,Im even sure one of McSchell's ex runners is now a police horse for the Hollywood police department in south Florida...These people do the best they can with what they have..Horses he gets and has most trainers would throw under the bus..Kudos to you McSchell

FantasticDan
05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
*BUMP*

Steve Haskin "Lava man revisited" article..

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/05/23/hangin-with-haskin-lava-man-revisited.aspx

Video linked in the article of LM helping himself to a snack.. :D :ThmbUp:

GESVqzDQEuM

classhandicapper
05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
*BUMP*

Steve Haskin "Lava man revisited" article..

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2012/05/23/hangin-with-haskin-lava-man-revisited.aspx

Video linked in the article of LM helping himself to a snack.. :D :ThmbUp:

GESVqzDQEuM

Great article by Haskin.

I made a trip to Del Mar one summer and got a chance to see Lava Man win the Pacific Classic. Loads of fun.

toetoe
05-24-2012, 08:30 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57253/lava-man-settles-into-role-as-stable-pony

:D No...not for racing. Thought if anyone hasn't seen this, it's a feel good thing. Lava Man has be 'retrained' for western saddle and goes bitless (hackamore)...he's the stable pony and seems to be loving his new job.
I think this is wonderful:jump:

Well said, joanied. :ThmbUp:

toetoe
05-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Just to close the topic~ Hackamore is the english cowboy's interpretation of the mexican term "Jaquima"..... because of the poor english translation Ha-qui'ma became Hackamore. Most western tack has its roots on Mexico.

'Ole

I know I'm trying to eat more jicama myself.

Grits
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
Joanie, you've really been missed. ;)