PDA

View Full Version : Mayhem in the inner city

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 07:00 AM
8 people murdered over the Memorial day weekend here in Baltimore.

Murders are drug/gang related and all the victims are A-A.

What the hell is going on in some of America's cities ??

jballscalls
06-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Drinking can certainly lead to crimes, but if they were in AA, you'd think they'd be getting their stuff together.

sad stuff, Baltimore is a historically bad city in terms of crime though isnt it?

PhantomOnTour
06-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Drinking can certainly lead to crimes, but if they were in AA, you'd think they'd be getting their stuff together.

sad stuff, Baltimore is a historically bad city in terms of crime though isnt it?
I think AA stands for something else entirely.

jballscalls
06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
I think AA stands for something else entirely.

oh, Alchoholics Anonymous is the only thing i remembered using those initials.

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 10:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sldXxYWMuAc

Trying to be politically correct - AA- Black

Murders down from same time frame as last year - 90+ > 70+ Pace to hit 180 this year. Baltimore had 300+ in the late 80's > mid 90's.

90+% are Black on Black and occur in predominantly Black neighborhoods.

The police are stretched thin and worn out trying to stop this bulls--t, and it's costing the city a fortune.

BTW, the Major on the video is a friend of mine, is married to a Black female, and is beyond "frustrated" as he states on the video.

jballscalls
06-01-2010, 11:43 AM
thank you for the translation. i've never seen A-A used as an abbreviation for African American or black, so i wasnt sure what you were getting at.

isn't the city of baltimore like 70% black population? that would probably explain the high % of black on black crime considering they are a big majority of the population. i mean i would guess most crime in predominantly white towns is white on white just based off probability??

never been to Baltimore. my old boss went back there to run Laurel/Pimlico for 6 months, he said he enjoyed it

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Most of Baltimore is fine - some parts one simply avoids as there is zero reason to go there unless you (God forbid) live there.

BTW - Pop. = 62.5 % Black - - - 92% of ALL murder victims are Black - disproportionate don't you think ?!?

JustRalph
06-01-2010, 01:41 PM
The same everywhere, sounds like a Weekend in Charlotte........ Chicago, Columbus, ..........Cleveland........

Yet the "AA" community is portrayed as victims everywhere.........

They are victims............of their own culture malaise...which is encouraged by their so called leaders

jballscalls
06-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Most of Baltimore is fine - some parts one simply avoids as there is zero reason to go there unless you (God forbid) live there.

BTW - Pop. = 62.5 % Black - - - 92% of ALL murder victims are Black - disproportionate don't you think ?!?

sounds disproporionate, but isnt crime rates both against blacks and conducted by blacks higher in general?

my point being it doesn't seem like a surprising statistic

wes
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Could be the nightmare that Martian Luther King never told the world about.

wes

skate
06-01-2010, 05:13 PM
welp no secret.

Sorry, but i figure boredom sets into motion and the media disregards.

I see a big increase in Hit and Run, maybe average 2 or 3 per week.

Some with death some not.

dav4463
06-01-2010, 07:18 PM
We had that many deaths on Dallas area lakes on Memorial Day! When did Memorial Day become a day to get trashed on a boat and fall in the lake? It happens every year.

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
We had that many deaths on Dallas area lakes on Memorial Day! When did Memorial Day become a day to get trashed on a boat and fall in the lake? It happens every year.

Accidental, not intentional !!

BTW- 3 more murders since my original post !! All are B On B !!

BluegrassProf
06-02-2010, 02:59 AM
*slips into instructional role*

As a general street crime rule, African American populations (typically in poor, socially-disorganized inner city neighborhoods...those places CJ mentioned) exhibit disproportionate rates of both offending and victimization. It's important to note both.

Keep in mind, it's not a race thing; it's a sociocultural thing, and way more complex than "malaise." ;)

It's also interesting...the place that violent crime has been increasing more than any other in the country: television. This is, of course, as opposed to a general nation-wide violent crime drop since the late 80's/early 90's. It's really no wonder we're all so freaked out.

dav: Man, I hear ya. I have Marine Div. experience from back working w/ the SO, and wowie, you wouldn't believe the foolishness of some people...drinking and driving a car? Pfft, perish the thought! Drinking and driving a boat? Hellz yeah! *glubglub*

I never worked it, but we also had guys on snowmobile duty in the rural areas of the county during the wintertime...keep in mind, snowmobile trails tend to run from bar to bar. It's remarkable what a wire fence can do when a driver doesn't notice it with the throttle let out...zip! It'll take the top clean off... :faint:

JustRalph
06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
I was stationed in Maine for 16 months while in the Air Force. Way up north near Caribou.........

If you got your license pulled for DUI you traded your car for a Snowmobile. At the time you could drive the snowmobile from bar to bar, town to town via snow trails. You could also get back to base etc. There was actually no law against "Drunk snowmobiling" This was around 1986........ you can't believe how many GI's had snowmobiles.......... :lol:

Rookies
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I never worked it, but we also had guys on snowmobile duty in the rural areas of the county during the wintertime...keep in mind, snowmobile trails tend to run from bar to bar. It's remarkable what a wire fence can do when a driver doesn't notice it with the throttle let out...zip! It'll take the top clean off...

EVERY winter & I mean every winter in Ontario, there are several stories of snowmobilers going through the ice of the 'frozen' lakes late at night. The sad stories go on for a while before the recurring punchline:

" AND ALCOHOL WAS INVOLVED ! "

cj's dad
01-30-2014, 09:25 PM
Hashing up an old thread but there have been 24 muders in Baltimore since January 1st. The city is on a pace for 295-300 murders this year. A;; these murders have been black on black.

Baltimore’s jump in homicides in 2013 defies national trends
If New York had Baltimore's murder rate, 3,160 persons would have been killed last year, instead of the 333 recorded by police

cj's dad
02-01-2014, 12:29 PM
January closes out with 26 murders - on track for 312 for the year.

BTW, previously I stated all were B on B; 1 victim was Latino.

Here is the link:

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

Saratoga_Mike
02-01-2014, 02:04 PM
January closes out with 26 murders - on track for 312 for the year.

BTW, previously I stated all were B on B; 1 victim was Latino.

Here is the link:

http://chamspage.blogspot.com/2014/01/2014-baltimore-city-homicides-list-and.html

You need a Republican mayor...good luck with that.

cj's dad
02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
51 year old Kim Leto murdered in her home by two teens a 14 and 15 year old. I knew Kim, she was a very sweet person. Her mother will now be burying a 2nd daughter, the first was killed in an auto accident. Perps stealing video games when Kim happened upon them, so the geniuses murdered her.

Link:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-03/news/bs-md-ci-teen-murders-20140203_1_southeast-baltimore-burglary-baltimore-police

woodtoo
02-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Sad state of affairs.

fast4522
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
51 year old Kim Leto murdered in her home by two teens a 14 and 15 year old. I knew Kim, she was a very sweet person. Her mother will now be burying a 2nd daughter, the first was killed in an auto accident. Perps stealing video games when Kim happened upon them, so the geniuses murdered her.

Link:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-02-03/news/bs-md-ci-teen-murders-20140203_1_southeast-baltimore-burglary-baltimore-police

Nothing can be said to ease this pain that you are constantly reminded of on a daily basis. Time to get out of that frying pan when no one is looking and skip the fire before you end up in the newspaper. You have done everything a man could do to hold your head high and be proud, leaving unscathed to enjoy your grandchildren sounds like your best option.

cj's dad
02-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Nothing can be said to ease this pain that you are constantly reminded of on a daily basis. Time to get out of that frying pan when no one is looking and skip the fire before you end up in the newspaper. You have done everything a man could do to hold your head high and be proud, leaving unscathed to enjoy your grandchildren sounds like your best option.

thanks for the input but it's just not that easy. I've been here forever and all of my ties are here. My youngest son is with me also. I have sons in OK and Texas but I really don't want to move to either place. My particular neighborhood especially my immediate block are trouble free. I have limited my excursions out of my area. I'll be here 'til I die, but thanks for the kind words.

Rookies
02-05-2014, 06:49 PM
I am one, who is a very strong believer in the glories of cities in all aspects of human life. I believe in the collectivity of their intrinsic nature, despite the very real evidence that many are profoundly dysfunctional.

Baltimore may certainly be one of the latter, as you have outlined many times here, D. For that, I feel badly for you, as I sense the obvious love, time and effort you have put into it, while at the same time, perplexed, sorrowful and angry about its worst problems.

I love my own city, Toronto, even though the local inside joke is that it is the centre of the universe. ( Where I live within it is, of course, the epicenter! :lol: )

Toronto is now a city where there is a slight majority of minority races and cultures among its 3 mill City pop. The difference here is that within any one race, Black, Yellow, Brown or White (we've got them all), there is not one solid block from one culture. It ranks near the top in the world of places with significant numbers of foreign born residents, but again no one country/race/culture dominates. This, I believe, allows the city to function as one of the best in the world, through various outside rated indices.

And with crime and the one you have highlighted- homicide, while there are some disproportionate groups represented, it's spread out. http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/torontohomicidemap.html

Most importantly, it's not (thankfully) a critical factor. While, at my age, there are some neighbourhoods I would no longer poke around in at certain times, the vast majority, especially in daylight hours, I would. My own little rectangle I'd give a 9+ out of 10 in terms of personal safety. My daughter lives downtown and is as safe as I am.

Last year, there were 58 Murders and the high water mark was 1991, where there were 89. That was 23 years ago. My point is that there can be mixes and matches of cultures that allow people to live, work and socialize amiably in their daily lives- even in large cities. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be happening for you in Baltimore.