PDA

View Full Version : Latest RPM catalog

JimG
07-30-2003, 03:31 PM
The RPM catalog from Dave Powers in chock full of big winning systems. Here is a list from the summer catalog:

Positive Turn Time Power Play...Dan Serra
Performance Tracking...Jack Young
Bringing Home the Jackpots...Jerry Samovitz
6/7 Furlong Equation...Walt Owen
50 Trainers that will Make you Money off Claims...Dan Serra
2003/2004 Pedigree Update...Mike Helm
2003 Pars Plus....Dave Schwartz
Form Points....Tom Hambleton
Sound System......Jeff Sillifant
Exacta Roundup...Walt Owen
Astro Toteboard Selector......Jerry Howell
2003 Debut Trainer Guide...Mike Helm
Insiders Tote-Busting Strategy....unknown
Wham Saratoga version 5 cd rom....Matt Levine
Betting and Beating the Exotics...Jerry Samovitz
Duo-Pix software...Bud Smith
Form Finder II....Steve Console
Racetrack Millionaire and SuperChalk on cd rom....unknown
Winning at the Races...KC Enterprises
A winning Horseplayers Guide...Ken Lampenau
Off track and Turf Sire Ratings...Dan Serra
Beaten Favorites Bandwagon....Gerald White
Final Rush Harness System...Bud Smith
Guaranteed Profit Money Management System...Robert Anthony
Mastering the Maidens...unknown
Quick and Dirty Trainer Guide...Cynthia Publishing
Analyzing Professional Betting Action...ken Lampenau
Spots and Blots...Peter Manti
See How they Run....Tom McCormick
The Cant's Lose Bet.....unknown
Insta Pick Pro Software....Clint Tracy
Easy Money Pro...David Powers
Tracking Trainers...Ron Roblin
2003 Debut Sire Guide...Mike Helm
Track Attack...Clark Mandel
Easy AB Speed Method...Dan Pope
Professional Harness Methodology....Al Stanley
Roadmap Handicapping...Al Bozzi

Well, that's what is being offered. All are books except where noted. Anyone here have any thoughts on any of the above. I am in the mood to read some new material and was wondering if any of these were worth more than a laugh.

Jim

sq764
07-30-2003, 03:56 PM
After seeing how Snap Cap Pro performed, no I would pass on all of them..

Bob Harris
07-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Dan Serra's stuff might be interesting to read...he's a pretty smart guy...I've always enjoyed chatting with him.

I do catch myself chuckling at most of the claims in that catalog.

blind squirrel
07-30-2003, 05:28 PM
i use to order some things from RPM.
they had some trainer stat books that
were pretty good.i ordered the "LAS VEGAS
HORSEPLAYERS RACEBOOK BIBLE"{I think?]
written by DAVE POWERS high school friend
CLINT TRACY, "PRO PLAYER".ALL HIS SECRETS
REVEALED!!!

Well,not exactly.i later found out that CLINT
TRACY was a"pen name"for DAVE POWERS.
Haven't ordered anything since."FOOL ME
ONCE".........

sq764
07-30-2003, 05:41 PM
I read the Horseplayers Bible and thank God I did. Without that reading, I would have never guessed that combining alcohol with wagering MAY alter your judgement.

I know I have heard that somewhere before, and I think it wasn't even in a handicapping book..

blind squirrel
07-30-2003, 05:51 PM
yeah, longshots get much more attractive after
a couple shots of JOSE' CUERVO!

cj
07-30-2003, 05:57 PM
I can handle a beer or two, I don't want my teller drinking.

JimG
07-30-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Bob Harris
Dan Serra's stuff might be interesting to read...he's a pretty smart guy...I've always enjoyed chatting with him.

I do catch myself chuckling at most of the claims in that catalog.

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. Does Serra seem to be a winning player?

Jim

freeneasy
07-30-2003, 09:13 PM
i dont know, after you bought enough of em, you settle down and start to realize, this stuff aint gonna get me rich,
and that if every claim on everyone of those systems were true then youve got from over thirty, and you can count em, 30 systems right now thats going to make you so wealthy that evey time you leave the track your going to have to throw money away just to get rid of the excess weight, i mean you wont even be able to fit in you car, your shirts and pockets will be buldging with so much money:D

cj
07-30-2003, 09:39 PM
I'm quite disappointed I don't receive the RPM catalogue anymore. I'm not sure why they stopped coming. How in the world will I start a fire in my fireplace this winter?

JimG
07-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by freeneasy
i dont know, after you bought enough of em, you settle down and start to realize, this stuff aint gonna get me rich,
and that if every claim on everyone of those systems were true then youve got from over thirty, and you can count em, 30 systems right now thats going to make you so wealthy that evey time you leave the track your going to have to throw money away just to get rid of the excess weight, i mean you wont even be able to fit in you car, your shirts and pockets will be buldging with so much money:D

True..they won't make you rich...but does that mean that all of the books are worthless? The past performances haven't made me rich either, but I would not want to play the races without them.

Jim

JimG
07-30-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I'm quite disappointed I don't receive the RPM catalogue anymore. I'm not sure why they stopped coming. How in the world will I start a fire in my fireplace this winter?

For starters you could print out the two replies you have made in this topic.

sq764
07-30-2003, 10:50 PM
I don't think his responses are off base, and its his opinion.

No one said all books are worthless, but lets face it, if a system is guaranteed to score 70% of the time at $9 winners, how could you sell this to anyone who will pawn up the money and sustain that claim? Wouldn't you think prices might start to dwindle if everyone was using this wonderful system?

Turntime
07-30-2003, 11:01 PM
I ordered several items from Dave Powers years ago and was disappointed with just about everything I received. There does seem to be a few worthy items on this recent list, mostly reference items such as 2003 Pars (Dave Schwartz), Mike Helm's books on pedigree handicapping (not my cup of tea), Tom Hambletons Form Points (a bit dated but still relevant) and Cynthia Pub's Quick and Dirty Trainer Guide (I have it and it's occasionally useful).I've not read Dan Serra's material so I can't comment on it. There may be a nugget here and there, but most of the other stuff looks like the same old crap. You'd probably be better off spending your money on a good steak.

lousycapper
07-31-2003, 12:15 AM
:D "How to make big money at the race track. Step one... if you post on this forum make sure you take plenty of lettuce and bread [not to make sandwiches] with you. Step two... bet only horses with morning line odds of 50-1 or greater [this will limit your play and your losses]. Step three... when you win, quit and go home.

Let me know as soon as you become a millionaire. I'd like you to buy the mansion that's for sale next door. I don't want any trailer trash moving in." :D

HAND & LOL

-L.C. :)

lousycapper
07-31-2003, 12:49 AM
:D My Grampa's version 1.000008 of his "Slicker, Quicker, Pony Picker" will soon be on the market. The price will be somewhere around 1-1/2 to 2 inches of $100.00 bills. He's taking advance orders now... email me and I'll be happy to take your money. :D

-L.C. :)

Speed Figure
07-31-2003, 12:52 AM
This Grampa stuff is making me CRAZY!:rolleyes:

Bob Harris
07-31-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by JimG
Bob,

Thanks for the feedback. Does Serra seem to be a winning player?

Jim

Jim,

Because of some physical limitations, Dan doesn't hang out in the race books...all his wagering is done by phone. If you ever get a chance to talk with him, you'll find he's a situational player with several different tools in his arsenal ala Steve Fierro.

I certainly have no reason to believe he isn't a winning player but a lot of that is determined by how one wagers and not by how they reach their contenders. I do believe he could teach all of us some new tricks.

Best,

Bob

creatureman
07-31-2003, 08:50 AM
man i remember RPM , man i used to think that stuff in the catalog was awsome, hell they even threw in some freebie systems. I bought the beyer method, form points, powers system
i was disappionted with most of it. I was suprised they were still in business. Is Dave Powers a reputable handicapper or a con , opinions???note i dont use anything in those systems. hMmmmm? i woner why??????????

betovernetcapper
07-31-2003, 09:35 AM
What fasinates me about the new catalog is my reaction to it-I KNOW most of this stuff is junk, yet some part of me really wants to beleive these claims. It's like the ads on the back of comic strips for sea people-xray glasses and other wonders. :)

timtam
07-31-2003, 10:05 AM
Dear Jim,
I purchased many items over the years from the RPM catalog and like you I just liked to see different approaches and lots of quick methods for occasional trips to the track. I once discovered a blatant error in a high priced method and sent it back for a full refund so Dave was always honest with me. I never quite got the results he did and many times he uses Jim Bayles (?) massive data base to test these systems so at first I thought maybe I wasnt doing something entirely correct until I heard others say they got the same results.
I have many systems he sold but some had me a little confused. For example I saw a wagering method in a booklet in the 70's called Predicting the Outcome by Sullivan and Adams. You wagered win,place and show in increments of $2 in accordance with the rules. This was in the back of the system and only a fraction of the entire method, low and behold 25 years later its in the RPM catalog as an entire method from a Dr. Robert Anthony. I can't say whethor or not Dr Anthony really invented this wagering but it brought the antennas up that maybe some of this stuff isnt legitimate.
I just think some of the methods are overpriced when you get them but like someone else said on the board , it cost me $200 but i didnt land in jail. I have many systems from RPM some good some ok some poor but very entertaining for a hobbyist. I dont know if you could make a living out of any of the stuff i purchased.

freeneasy
07-31-2003, 02:38 PM
if you dont like the product just give him a quick call, tell em, look dave, this aint gonna work, it doesnt make sense and i dont even want to try it. and he'll be glad to deal with you. he's refunded my money before and other times we made a trade for something else of equal value.
one time i bought a bunch of stuff and had a bunch of freebies coming. some of the freebies i already had and some i didnt want, so i called him to make my order and we wheeled and dealed a little bit and i pretty much got the items that i was more interested in then the freebies he was offering. easy peasy japaneasy.
but c'mon, every one of those systems are guaranteed to make a profit and if that were true then there wouldnt be any profits to be made cause everybody and their cousins uncles would be playing the races and walking away with every winner. believe me if the profit claims on evryone of those 30+ systems in the new rpm catalog were true i would have drove down to his office yesterday and bought every single one.
but sometimes you spot a system that does sound like it is within the realms of reality and might have some decent merit to it, and on that note iam thinking of getting the one on the beaten favorites,
and this i think i can tell you, and that is that there is something to be said about a "beaten favorite" now wheather this guy has the goods, who knows.
but the claim is 50% winners with an avg. mutual of $5.22.
your talking about a profit of "61 cents on the dollar invested"
c'mon now, a man can amass a fortune on 61 cents to the dollar invested, are you kidden me. shezus.
gimme 3 months and i'll be driven up to the track in my flashy new hummer, gimme 6 months and i'll have me a brand new hummer for every day of the week. and all that probably on a starting capitol of $200. but
ya never know, beaten favorites is a legitimate part of handicapping and it just might have a couple of prospectively good things to say.