PDA

View Full Version : Musket Man

Watcher
05-31-2010, 06:00 PM
Got to love the effort this horse puts in every time. One of my favorites.

zypxtaYMPq4

only11
05-31-2010, 06:01 PM
Got to love the effort this horse puts in every time. One of my favorites.
too bad..honest as they come.

cuzimahustler
05-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Quality Road might go to the classic but I see him being run down in the stretch unless the track is speed favoring. Nice try by MM by the way.

lamboguy
05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
he gave one of the greatest efforts i have ever seen in my life against quality road. quality road was at his best today and musket mad did not back down. i really like the way derek ryan trains his horses, he deserved to win today for his efforts, but i am sure he will be doing alot of winning down the road.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 06:06 PM
he gave one of the greatest efforts i have ever seen in my life against quality road.Seriously?

Dahoss9698
05-31-2010, 06:07 PM
He was the beneficiary of a premature move by Borel on Warrior's Reward, but he still ran well. Nice horse.

Tom
05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I like the call.."Musket Man FIRING at Quality Road!":D

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Quality Road might go to the classic but I see him being run down in the stretch unless the track is speed favoring. Let's see....hmmmmm.....

Race 1) 5-1 speed finished LAST
Race 3) 3-1 speed finished second
Race 4) 5-1 speed wins
Race 5) 5-1 speed finished LAST...1.9-1 shot who pressed leader finished third

At least we can conclude the Belmont strip today isn't speed favoring. Seems fairly honest given the limited number of dirt races run prior to the Met Mile.

only11
05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
beyer # any idea?

cuzimahustler
05-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Let's see....hmmmmm.....

Race 1) 5-1 speed finished LAST
Race 3) 3-1 speed finished second
Race 4) 5-1 speed wins
Race 5) 5-1 speed finished LAST...1.9-1 shot who pressed leader finished third

At least we can conclude the Belmont strip today isn't speed favoring. Seems fairly honest given the limited number of dirt races run prior to the Met Mile.

sorry I meant to say Zenyatta will run him down in the stretch :) better?

JustRalph
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
I like the call.."Musket Man FIRING at Quality Road!":D

oh, Now I get it.......................... :bang:

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 06:20 PM
sorry I meant to say Zenyatta will run him down in the stretch :) better?For the love of all that is holy, can't we please leave her out of at least one thread this year?

WinterTriangle
05-31-2010, 06:56 PM
Nice try by MM by the way.

Trainer has done marvelous job of keeping him in condition and racing. MM ran every TC race last year, and ITM, while so many pretenders from last year are just "memories" now... this is a real racehorse, iron horse.

Dahoss9698
05-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Trainer has done marvelous job of keeping him in condition and racing. MM ran every TC race last year, and ITM, while so many pretenders from last year are just "memories" now... this is a real racehorse, iron horse.

He didn't run in the Belmont. Never started as a 3 year old after the Preakness. Probably injured, but iron horse seems a bit much.

He is a quality animal though and there aren't many of those around.

46zilzal
05-31-2010, 07:02 PM
Quality Road might go to the classic but I see him being run down in the stretch unless the track is speed favoring. Nice try by MM by the way.
that track favored the front all day..what were you looking at?

Bullet Plane
05-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Using Klein speed ratings, I get a 180. That would make the track speed favoring. However, the repeated challenges the horse took, and the brave manner the horse held them at bay, made the race an extremely impressive one to me - nonetheless. A huge effort by a top class horse. Very beautiful race to watch and an outstanding time to go along with it.

Space Monkey
05-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Its a little early, but if QR runs in the Classic, he'll probably be underneath, if that , in my exotics. IMO, against the best, he's best at a mile or 1 1/8.

Space Monkey
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Got sidetracked. This thread is about Musket Man. While he probably won't be winning any Grade 1's, hes a horse that you have to include in your exotics. Always runs well, finds a way to hit the board. As honest as they come.

Jasonm921
05-31-2010, 09:31 PM
My favorite horse out there. Always gives you his best and that is all one could ask.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 10:58 PM
that track favored the front all day..what were you looking at?No it didn't. You had four dirt races at Belmont besides the Met Mile.

Race 1) 6.5f - won by a 1/2 favorite who sat second...a 1/2 favorite winning does not prove anything, no matter where he won from...

Race 3) 6f - Again won by the favorite who sat third behind dueling leaders who went the half in 46 and change...can't say the track favored the speed here either...if it did, one of those two early leaders should have won, as they were both contenders and 46 and change isn't something that should kill a horse, especially if the track is favoring the front, as you are claiming.

Race 4) 8.5f - Won wire-to-wire...I guess you'll point to this race as an indication the track favored the front...but this horse won by almost six lengths as much the best...the horse he dueled with early finished sixth and the horse who sat third behind the dueling leaders ended up dead last.

Race 5) 7f - Won by the favorite who sat fourth for half the race...early speed ended up finishing dead last and the horse who sat second early ended up being beaten over 14 lengths in third.

I don't see how, given the above, one can conclude the track was favoring speed all day. It seemed like a fairly honest dirt track to me...winners came from the front and from off the pace...then again, four races is a tiny sample even for one day.

If you want to include the Met Mile...Musket Man came from well out of it and ran a bang up second...and the horse who ran with QR early finished well beaten...if you want to use a 1/5 shot winning wire-to-wire as more evidence the track favored speed, more power to you.

Bullet Plane
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Oopss. Forgot to take out those horses below .6 odds. Corrected figure is 92. That would indicated fair surface, but with only 3 races included - Making the figure somewhat questionable.

Cardus
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM

No way.