PDA

View Full Version : "One....last......late......lunge?"

Stillriledup
05-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Is it common for announcers to steal things that Durkin made famous, alter them a bit, then use them as your own?

Peter Berry
05-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Is it common for announcers to steal things that Durkin made famous, alter them a bit, then use them as your own?

Everything in life in derivative.

jballscalls
05-31-2010, 06:43 PM
if someone had said "one final....acceleration" than maybe. but i mean there are only so many ways to describe something. most great music borrows chords and rhythms that have been used before.

and who knows, maybe it was a tribute to TD? i do stuff like that all the time. If some horse rallies into second i'll give him a "but no way does he get to the winner...." in tribute to Vic for Cesario. Or often will do a Luke K "winding around the far turn" or a Gary Henson like "and here comes Captain Condo"

fun to give tribute to the guys that we admire in our industry

craigbraddick
05-31-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree with Peter, here.

I heard commentators say the same in the UK, twenty-five years ago and we saw virtually no US racing back then and I daresay many British commentators of the time would not even have known who Tom Durkin was.

But then, even if you avoid cliche, someone will criticize you for not being jingoistic enough!!!!

Craig

v j stauffer
05-31-2010, 09:49 PM

If I was good enough I would steal every last word he's ever said. Problem is I can't say them like he does.

Cardus
05-31-2010, 10:03 PM
If I was good enough I would steal every last word he's ever said. Problem is I can't say them like he does.

That would make you the repo man of announcers, wouldn't it?