PDA

View Full Version : What just happened to Frank M?

Wickel
05-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Did you guys see that? Frank Mirahmadi seemed to storm off the set after 2-5 shot Developing Story finished second at Monmouth. It didn't look to me like his shift was over. Left Greg Wolf and Mr. B stunned.

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Best guess would be that he jumped off a bridge.

Wickel
05-31-2010, 02:39 PM
I know Frank from his announcing days at The Downs at Santa Fe, and he could be known to plunk down some dough at times.

Tom
05-31-2010, 03:03 PM
He is on a "time out" right now.

Here's a real good introduction to new fans, little baby tantrums by the on-air personalities! :lol:

What a jerk this guy is.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Probably better for him to get off the set and away from the live microphones than to say something stupid or awful on the live set and get in trouble or more embarassed.

From what I remember, a lot of folks like the guy, some don't. He's the celebrity-impersonatting race caller.

BombsAway Bob
05-31-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's a real good introduction to new fans,
little baby tantrums by the on-air personalities! :lol:
What a jerk this guy is.
Perhaps you missed his comment that he was "ALL-IN"
on the Big Chalk... When you're busted at the track,
you leave. Frank "left" the studio desk after touting
failing chalk. C'Mon, Tom, lighten up!
Frank Mirahmadi is NOT a JERK! :blush:

Dahoss9698
05-31-2010, 03:22 PM
He was all in on a 2/5 shot?

redshift1
05-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Did you guys see that? Frank Mirahmadi seemed to storm off the set after 2-5 shot Developing Story finished second at Monmouth. It didn't look to me like his shift was over. Left Greg Wolf and Mr. B stunned.

Usually when the announcers lose they go right to the next race.

PhantomOnTour
05-31-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm about to pull a 'Mirahmadi' of my own after my gorgeous 9-1 shot at Mth gets beaten by the fargin Cognac Kid at 99-1.....excuse me...i'll be back in a minute.

kenwoodall2
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
How wonderfully novel!! :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
05-31-2010, 03:55 PM
If gambling has that much of an affect on his job, time to move.

It's inevitable that these guys are betting while working, however, if it interferes with doing that job, I would say that's a problem.

He wouldn't be working for me, if it were my decision.

andymays
05-31-2010, 03:59 PM
Everyone of us that plays the horses has to be a little nuts.

I like Frank.

He aint no Jimmy Piersall. Maybe. :D

InsideThePylons-MW
05-31-2010, 04:09 PM
He was all in on a 2/5 shot?

That's why he needs a paycheck to survive

Stillriledup
05-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Pick 5 carryover!

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 04:30 PM
I know this is a longshot, but was there anybody crazy enough to be recording TVG at the time and can upload the clip to youtube?

Dahoss9698
05-31-2010, 04:34 PM
I know this is a longshot, but was there anybody crazy enough to be recording TVG at the time and can upload the clip to youtube?

I was hoping the same thing.

thaskalos
05-31-2010, 04:37 PM

Here's a real good introduction to new fans, little baby tantrums by the on-air personalities! :lol:

What a jerk this guy is. This game has a way of bringing out the worst in all of us, from time to time...

csperberg
05-31-2010, 04:46 PM
PxbcLuTSR68

cj
05-31-2010, 05:04 PM
At least we know he bets.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow.

Thanks for getting that up so quickly csperberg....

JustRalph
05-31-2010, 06:18 PM
What the hell would have been the difference on the place price ?

Wow.....that sucks........

ArlJim78
05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
That Greg Wolf is an irritating doofus, couldn't wait to take his shot at FM.

eastie
05-31-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm about to pull a 'Mirahmadi' of my own after my gorgeous 9-1 shot at Mth gets beaten by the fargin Cognac Kid at 99-1.....excuse me...i'll be back in a minute.

didn't know it at the time , but it cost me the pick 5. bet my last 27 bucks on a 3x3x1x2x3 ticket. I never liked cognac :(

MaTH716
05-31-2010, 06:45 PM
What the hell would have been the difference on the place price ?

Wow.....that sucks........

Maybe he had her singled on all kinds of pick 3 tickets. Reguardless there was no need for that douche Greg Wolf (does he even make picks?) to make a crack at Frank's expense, especially on-air.

my_nameaintearl
05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
what the problem cracking a joke at the guy

Valuist
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
I like Mirahmadi as a racecaller and even more as an impressionist, but that may have been the WORST 2-5 shot I have ever seen.

Space Monkey
05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm Ok with what Frank did today. I can't criticize him because I know all too well that I've flipped out before over tough beats. Nothing wrong with being human, although I wouldn't be loading up on 2-5 shots. ;) My "broken clipboard" moments come on longshot, nose losses, due to jockey incompetance :lol:

Wickel
05-31-2010, 06:53 PM
That Greg Wolf is an irritating doofus, couldn't wait to take his shot at FM.

After watching it again, I agree ArlJim. No need to rub it in, especially after Frank said, "very funny." Frank's a class guy; Greg--not so much. Although I have to give credit to Mr. B. for having some compassion later on in the broadcast when Greg tried to get him to comment on Frank's exit. Mr. B said something like: "I don't want to talk about it. I've been there before and Frank's a good friend."

Space Monkey
05-31-2010, 06:55 PM
I thought he handled it well. He obviously needed to punch out a wall or smash a clipboard. Much ado about nothing.

GOOD LUCK FRANK!!

andymays
05-31-2010, 07:09 PM
Paulick Report Blog Archive NO EGG ON MIRAHMADI S FACE
http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/no-egg-on-mirahmadis-face/

Excerpt:

I think it was New York horseplayer and TV personality Harvey Pack who said, “Hardly is now a man alive who paid the mortgage at 2-to-5.” I’m not sure if TVG commentator Frank Mirahmadi had rent or mortgage payments due this week, but he was “all in” on 2-5 favorite Developing Story in the fourth race maiden event at Monmouth Park on Monday’s Memorial Day program. The filly finished second.

Mirahmadi, working alongside Greg Wolf and Bob Baedeker walked off the set after Wolf said to him, “Frank, I was going to ask you if this filly lost that you like so much, would you let me break an egg over your head?”

“Very funny,” replied Mirahmadi, who then stood up, took off his microphone and said, “That’s going to do it for me, guys.”

“Frank Mirahmadi checking out,” said Wolf, as Mirahmadi walked off. “He’s got nothing left in the account. Goodbye and good night.”

toussaud
05-31-2010, 07:15 PM
wolf should be fired for that shit, and that's why i refuse to watch TVG. i mean my gosh

he's lucky he didn't throw him across the set.

MaTH716
05-31-2010, 07:16 PM
what the problem cracking a joke at the guy

Have you ever lost a large wager that put in a very surly mood? If so then think about someone making a joke about it/you, oh yeah on TV in front of a large audience, while you are still steaming. When you think about the fact that the horse was 2-5 just magnifies things even more. You would think that those guys on air with him would have an idea what bets he had going. If Wolf knew then he should have been a bit more sympathetic, instead of trying to get a cheap laugh at Franks expense.

kenwoodall2
05-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Would have been more interesting if Wolf was laid out! I think he had plastic surgery to have that smirk put permanently on his face!LOL!!

my_nameaintearl
05-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Have you ever lost a large wager that put in a very surly mood? If so then think about someone making a joke about it/you, oh yeah on TV in front of a large audience, while you are still steaming. When you think about the fact that the horse was 2-5 just magnifies things even more. You would think that those guys on air with him would have an idea what bets he had going. If Wolf knew then he should have been a bit more sympathetic, instead of trying to get a cheap laugh at Franks expense.

Its horse racing Ive never made a sure wager in my life. He is an Analyst he should be able to take the heat for a loss. The way he acted is unacceptable.

Edward DeVere
05-31-2010, 07:32 PM
He wouldn't be working for me, if it were my decision.

Guy makes ONE mistake (a rather minor one in the grand scheme of things, don't you think?), soon apologizes over the phone, quickly returns, holds his tongue while Wolf keeps ragging on him as he's forced to sit in a "time-out corner", and you're going to FIRE his ass???

Crikies.

MaTH716
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Its horse racing Ive never made a sure wager in my life. He is an Analyst he should be able to take the heat for a loss. The way he acted is unacceptable.
It doesn't bother me. I actually find it quite refreshing as opposed to some of the people that are constantly giving out $60/$70/$80 dollar pick four plays that they obviously aren't playing and couldn't care less when they go down in flames.

I just wish I knew what Frank had going with a 2-5 shot.

mannyberrios
05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
It doesn't bother me. I actually find it quite refreshing as opposed to some of the people that are constantly giving out $60/$70/$80 dollar pick four plays that they obviously aren't playing and couldn't care less when they go down in flames.

I just wish I knew what Frank had going with a 2-5 shot.:1: At least we know that he played the horse. To error is human.

shouldacoulda
05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Bummer.

Dahoss9698
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
After watching the video I didn't even really think he stormed off. Just kind of left.

WinterTriangle
05-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Wolf is creepy. Looking, acting, otherwise.

Probably where comedian Steven Colbert got his idea for a hairstyle

GaryG
05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I guess some watch TVG for the entertainment value, can't see what else. Wolf must have gotten his lunch money stolen when he was a kid. How could that not happen? What an irritating twerp. I'm sorry, but I just cannot watch shit like that.

castaway01
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM
I guess some watch TVG for the entertainment value, can't see what else. Wolf must have gotten his lunch money stolen when he was a kid. How could that not happen? What an irritating twerp. I'm sorry, but I just cannot watch shit like that.

Man, seriously? So if you were with your friends and you buried a 2-5 shot and lost, they wouldn't bust your chops about it? Wow, you guys on here grew up in a gentler world than I did. I mean, I like Frank too, but isn't that how life works? You screw up on stupid things, you get teased. Poor babies.

thaskalos
05-31-2010, 08:46 PM
He was probably madder at Wolf than he was at the race result itself...

peakpros
05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't watch TVG since I'm at Monmouth everyday but to take 2/5 the way gomez is riding is just plain silly.

toussaud
05-31-2010, 09:19 PM
that would have made a very good visa commerical...

buying TVG in your dish network package...10 dollars

setting up your TVG wagering account..50 dollars

blowing your money on the horse that Frank M touted...100 dollars

watching Frank M knock the snot out of his co host when he goes over the top.. priceless..

slew101
05-31-2010, 09:36 PM
What did Wolff say exactly? I couldn't make it out?

Regardless, unacceptable behavior from Frank M. I suspect he's gone from TVG after that, or an on-air apology will be coming if he's lucky.

toussaud
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
I think ral horse racing fans would want Greg gone before Frank.

Every last guy here has been where Frank was and i don't have a problem with it.

also, every one here knows a "greg" and would love nothing more than to slap the guy.

lol, you are going to fire the one guy on your staff that actually makes wagers and doesn't give out 300 dollar pick 4 tickets with no regard if they hit or not.

JustRalph
05-31-2010, 10:12 PM
Man, seriously? So if you were with your friends and you buried a 2-5 shot and lost, they wouldn't bust your chops about it? Wow, you guys on here grew up in a gentler world than I did. I mean, I like Frank too, but isn't that how life works? You screw up on stupid things, you get teased. Poor babies.

it's different on national TV where thousands (ok, it's TVG, Hundreds) are watching..........

I thought Wolfe was out of line........

btw, When I lived in Ca I used to talk to Greg every now and again and he seemed like a pretty decent kid........worked his way through college etc and became a sports broadcasting type at College doing UCLA games if my memory serves me right. He fell into his job at TVG after having a very good interview. I think he probably regrets what happen today. But then again, we are probably making more out of it than the TVG guys are.

owlet
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Yea Frank is the true blue horseplayer "professional" and Greg Wolfe is the ass.

After all who can forget Frank's 2008 Ferndale call-dead horses and injured jockey all over the track-while Frank continues with his "Marv Alpert" impersonation/. Beyond classless and ugly.

Wolfe is the somewhat normal guy--you know, the guy who isn't such a juicer that he needs to go all in on a 2/5. The guy with a brain.

But to horseplayers his the strange one. I love it.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
After all who can forget Frank's 2008 Ferndale call-dead horses and injured jockey all over the track-while Frank continues with his "Marv Alpert" impersonation/. Beyond classless and ugly.Many times you see announcers are unaware of an accident that has just taken place...they either never call it, or they call it about a furlong or two after it happens...

I'll give Frank a pass on what you just wrote about...I doubt he KNEW what had happened and yet chose to go on with his funny little call anyway...something tells me you know this too...

exactatom
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
We all have had bad beats at the track. Why kick a man when he is obviously down? A joking comment could have been made such as "that did not work the way you panned", but to ask if he could crack an egg over his head is way out of line. Did a media member ever ask Bobby Knight or Bobby Frankel if they could crack an egg over their head when they were obviously upset at an outcome? I doubt it.

We are a society that demands all acess and this is sometimes what we get for this thirst for a behind the scenes look, especially when the network markets itself as having its commentators be gamblers with an in terest inthe outcome. This worked wonders for TVG with the shots of Ken Rudolph cheering in Giacomo. Today was the ugly side. The question that keeps popping into my head is what would have happened if this occurred at an OTB instead of a TV set?

kenwoodall2
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
I just checked the TVG site discussions (1st time ever, PA!) So far 100% on Frank's side!

CBedo
05-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with what Frank did, have done the same a time or two, and would have loved to see him take a swing at Greg, but professionally, him walking off the set is pretty pathetic, and if you are betting so much that it affects your on air performance, then something needs to be done. As for Greg and Mr. B, they had to be a bit shocked with what was going on, and comic relief (or the poor attempt at it) is probably what was called for. As for his initial comments, all the TVG guys ride each other all the time, so it wasn't anything new.

toussaud
05-31-2010, 10:32 PM
We all have had bad beats at the track. Why kick a man when he is obviously down? A joking comment could have been made such as "that did not work the way you panned", but to ask if he could crack an egg over his head is way out of line. Did a media member ever ask Bobby Knight or Bobby Frankel if they could crack an egg over their head when they were obviously upset at an outcome? I doubt it.

We are a society that demands all acess and this is sometimes what we get for this thirst for a behind the scenes look, especially when the network markets itself as having its commentators be gamblers with an in terest inthe outcome. This worked wonders for TVG with the shots of Ken Rudolph cheering in Giacomo. Today was the ugly side. The question that keeps popping into my head is what would have happened if this occurred at an OTB instead of a TV set?

if someone would have asked bobby knight could they crack an egg over their head, he would have cracked something up side their head... lol, and it would not have been an egg i assure you

DeanT
05-31-2010, 10:43 PM
Personally, I don't have a problem with what Frank did, have done the same a time or two, and would have loved to see him take a swing at Greg, but professionally, him walking off the set is pretty pathetic, and if you are betting so much that it affects your on air performance, then something needs to be done. As for Greg and Mr. B, they had to be a bit shocked with what was going on, and comic relief (or the poor attempt at it) is probably what was called for. As for his initial comments, all the TVG guys ride each other all the time, so it wasn't anything new.
I agree Chris.

Cardus
05-31-2010, 10:52 PM
That was unprofessional.

I don't know his history in media -- so maybe he deserves another chance -- but if he has pulled anything like this before, then he should be fired.

If he cannot handle himself in a professional manner when he has money on a race, then he does not belong in this profession.

He is free to bet as he wishes and to react accordingly, but not when it affects his on-air performance.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
I'm thinking this whole thing was staged...nothing but a ratings ploy... :lol:

BillW
05-31-2010, 11:09 PM

Either Baedeker or Wolfe said that Allevato told him to leave the set if he lost the bet. Whether Allevato was just giving him a dig for playing such a short price or actually directing him was not clear to me by their comments.

lamboguy
05-31-2010, 11:25 PM
of course it was staged. these guys don't make their own picks and don't bet and could care less. i did meet the mirror man at the great barrrington fair when i was hustling a few jocks book there. he was a decent guy, and had a personality, he did bet his $10's and $20's back then.

the only guy i can't stand is todd scruff. he just made a crack about the pace advantage board on sunday, saying how tvg surpassed pace advantage as the largest horse board. i have never been to the tvg horse board, and neither do i plan to in the next 25 years. i can only imagine how stupid it must be.

they needed to copy the pace advantage board because their business model stinks. they are non-inovative. compare them to ubet, they have tv audience, ubet has inovations. tvg don't do half the handle ubet does, and their numbers look better than they are on the surface because they bought exclusivety.

horses4courses
05-31-2010, 11:28 PM
Any gambler can relate to Frank's situation.
Does that make his behavior acceptable? Not in my book.

Imagine if the race caller at your favorite track finished up his call by saying
something like this:
"I was all-in there, and that odds-on pig just got the worst ride I've ever seen. I'm out of here."

You can sympathize with the gambler.
A professional should finish his work, and leave any venting until it's done.

turfnsport
05-31-2010, 11:29 PM
I think Frank is one of the best on TVG and just finally got fed up with the nonsense. I may be wrong, but I noticed a few times in recent weeks Frank looking at Matty or Ken blabbing and he seemed to be saying to himself, "WTF am I doing here?"

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:30 PM
All I know is that Frank can call a race and he can pick a winner. I'd rather have him on the set than most of the goofballs they throw at us.

So he's a little temperamental. So what. Maybe it's in his pedigree.

If he comes out with a shadow roll and earmuffs next time we'll know he's getting some help. ;)

jballscalls
05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Many times you see announcers are unaware of an accident that has just taken place...they either never call it, or they call it about a furlong or two after it happens...

I'll give Frank a pass on what you just wrote about...I doubt he KNEW what had happened and yet chose to go on with his funny little call anyway...something tells me you know this too...

thank you for pointing this out. when your watching a race through binoculars you only see a handful of lengths as far as your viewing area. and if it's a bullring since the horses are closer, your field of vision is less wide.

I remember some clown on the del mar board was all pissed at Trevor for not calling Pine Island going down. and if you watch the replay he's looking at the leaders when she goes down multiple lengths behind where Trevor was looking. it's impossible to see everything thath goes on during a race.

thanks for bringing that point up PA :ThmbUp:

cj
05-31-2010, 11:50 PM
All I know is that Frank can call a race and he can pick a winner. I'd rather have him on the set than most of the goofballs they throw at us.

So he's a little temperamental. So what. Maybe it's in his pedigree.

If he comes out with a shadow roll and earmuffs next time we'll know he's getting some help. ;)

He may be good, but I'd love to hear why he went "all in" on a 2 to 5 with no dirt form. I'd also love to hear what "all in" actually meant in this case.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 11:51 PM
he just made a crack about the pace advantage board on sunday, saying how tvg surpassed pace advantage as the largest horse board.I'm flattered that he even thought we were the largest to begin with.

But I am curious as to what metric he is using to judge whether or not tvg is a larger board.

WinterTriangle
05-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Every last guy here has been where Frank was and i don't have a problem with it.

On air? On the timeclock at your job?

Geez, no wonder there is no sense of etiquette or workplace behavior out there anymore. Any professional establishment I've worked in, temper tantrums label you as a loose canon......you lose your credibility and most of the time, your job.

As for whether or not these guys place wagers, I could care less. They are paid to guide the viewers, give a wrap-up of PPs, and what they saw in the paddock (although it seems very few of them do that except the female one!) which I really appreciate if I can't *be* there.

I could care less about their wagers. It shouldn't even be on the table. That's private life.

As a matter of fact, the MOMENT my contract is up with directTV, I'm switching to Dish so I can get away from TVG. The time they spend giving their pick 6 tickets is time they could be spending giving impressions of what they saw in the paddock, any conversations they had with trainers, and what they saw in workouts, etc. ...........IN OTHER words, all the stuff I can't see on a PP. I don't need their picks. I need their eyes when I can't be there.

Edward DeVere

I considered that possibility but Baedaker is so no-nonsense that it seems unlikely to me.

There is, however, no doubt that the new ownership is shaking things up. Some things I like and some things I don't.

cj
I'm flattered that he even thought we were the largest to begin with.

But I am curious as to what metric he is using to judge whether or not tvg is a larger board.

There is no way that board is bigger than this one. There are hardly any posts.

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:57 PM
He may be good, but I'd love to hear why he went "all in" on a 2 to 5 with no dirt form. I'd also love to hear what "all in" actually meant in this case.
Maybe it was a hit leg for him.

Nakatani hung a nose on me today in Hollywoods ninth that cost me a ton. I let out a few choice words that made the paint on the walls peel.

Sometimes you just gotta vent.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 11:58 PM
There is no way that board is bigger than this one. There are hardly any posts.Well, I wouldn't go that far...but then again, they do have a national TV network going for them...I would hope they would be bigger than little ol' me... :lol:

andymays
06-01-2010, 12:00 AM

I heard it as well. The last time I was over there was to push the HANA/Los Alamitos takout thing. Apparently I said that the TVG community was for sissies on this board some time ago and someone there called me out out it.

The thing is they are a bunch of sissies. :lol:

cj
06-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I looked, most topics have one or two posts a day. Maybe there is a high traffic section I missed.

cj
06-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Maybe it was a hit leg for him.

Nakatani hung a nose on me today in Hollywoods ninth that cost me a ton. I let out a few choice words that made the paint on the walls peel.

Sometimes you just gotta vent.

No matter how you slice it, he hung his hat on a 2 to 5 shot winning. It was unprofessional, period.

andymays
06-01-2010, 12:02 AM
I looked, most topics have one or two posts a day. Maybe there is a high traffic section I missed.

It's a mausoleum.

David-LV
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I like Mirahmadi as a racecaller and even more as an impressionist, but that may have been the WORST 2-5 shot I have ever seen.

Sometimes Poly Garbage to Dirt just does not work even at 2/5.

_______
David-LV

andymays
06-01-2010, 12:04 AM
No matter how you slice it, he hung his hat on a 2 to 5 shot winning. It was unprofessional, period.

That's probably why he went off stride. As far as unproffesional goes when are they going to do something with Michelle Yu. She's easy on the eyes and speaks well but her opinion on just about everything is wrong.

BillW
06-01-2010, 12:12 AM

They (Matt and Todd specifically) are well aware of the fan club they have hanging out here. I'm sure it doesn't take much of a metric for them to feel that way. :lol:

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2010, 12:15 AM
They (Matt and Todd specifically) are well aware of the fan club they have hanging out here. I'm sure it doesn't take much of a metric for them to feel that way. :lol:I don't know..the anti-Matt and anti-Todd brigade sure has been quiet these past many months...not too many anti-TVG threads either (certainly not like there used to be)...

If I were them, I would take this as a NEGATIVE sign...'cause you know the old saying...any publicity is good publicity...when they stop talking about you, you're F***ED!!

Valuist
06-01-2010, 12:17 AM

Regardless, unacceptable behavior from Frank M. I suspect he's gone from TVG after that, or an on-air apology will be coming if he's lucky.

Frank had called into TVG and toward the end of the conversation he said to Wolf and Baedeker "I apologize if this was awkward for anyone". Wolf kind of hesitated, and said "it probably is late for that".

I agree w/Wolf. This was an Anchorman like meltdown......only difference is the mainstream media will be completely unaware since the only people who watch TVG are racing fans.

jamey1977
06-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Did Frank go into the restroom and kick trash cans and cuss at the top of his lungs.? If they are betting , they are foolish to bet 1000 to win and to try to make what, 300 dollars ? or did he lose a 200 dollar straight exacta. No progressions. All plays should be straight. They are making the same mistakes I made back in 1994 and that's why I always had to go back and start working nights. I haven't worked in 4 years. I work at the race track, now. Please guys, no progression. Do it right and you can relax, knowing that your wins are guaranteed. Read- Dick Mitchell.

menifee
06-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Wow a TVG personality acting like a real gambler and expressing real emotion on set! What a novelty. Probably the most entertaining thing I've seen on TVG. If these guys could bottle this and replicate it every week, I guarantee their ratings would go up.

beertapper
06-01-2010, 12:36 AM
could it simply be something scripted?

i mean, it's TV entertainment after all.... we've got a 5 page thread on it already, it's hitting the blogosphere...

it's free PR, c'mon

Wickel
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM

In all fairness to Frank, while he was touting the horse--and presumably after he had placed his bet--the odds were hovering between even money and 8-5.
Not too bad, IMHO. Seems to me that someone else went "all in" prior to post, possibly because of Frank's enthusiasm. Frank was banking on 7-5, 8-5.

David-LV
06-01-2010, 12:54 AM
TVG should have the same rules that they have in most Las Vegas casinos.

No gambling when working.

Is TVG so greedy for the handle that they put their employees in this position.

I hope Frank M. is back, at least he has a broad knowledge of racing and is pleasant to listen to. Nobody is perfect and leaving the set is really no big thing if you really think about it. A little compassion is warranted in this situation.

When you let your employees gamble on the job you are just as much at fault if something happens as they are.

Make a rule no gambling while at work and you will avoid this type of situation.

My advise is backed by over 35 years experience in the gaming business and having to deal with this problem many times over the years without ever having to let an employee go. Good help is always hard to find.

________
David-LV

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2010, 01:00 AM
Don't you think it would be hypocritical of TVG to have their on-air personalities entice YOU to wager via TVG, while at the same time not being allowed to wager themselves?

Wickel
06-01-2010, 01:10 AM
Good point, Pace. Boy, I'm thinking either TVG is really putting one over on us, or Frank really unloaded! I'm talking $500 or more!!

horses4courses
06-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Don't you think it would be hypocritical of TVG to have their on-air personalities entice YOU to wager via TVG, while at the same time not being allowed to wager themselves?

Agreed.
However, TVG's business practices are far from ethical.
They hype it with their so-called "experts", leading to near-certain losses for any newbies. Race fans/gamblers who know better, watch their signal without needing their "knowledgeable advice".
Regarding their employees, I'm sure they like them firing away with their bets.
It's like giving an alcoholic bartender freedom to pour his/her own drinks.
Talk about occupational hazard.....

David-LV
06-01-2010, 01:28 AM

No, they are told to entice you to wager to drive up TVG's handle. This is TVG's model not the hosts.
I don't believe that most of the hosts are making bets on those those tickets that you see on the air because if they did they all would be working for free every day.
Nobody is saying they can't gamble but not while you are at work.
When we show customers how to play craps or blackjack we don't join them to make them feel good. It is just not right to have your employees working for free daily. Very bad policy.

_________
David-LV

Robert Fischer
06-01-2010, 01:52 AM
5 large on top

CBedo
06-01-2010, 01:55 AM
In all fairness to Frank, while he was touting the horse--and presumably after he had placed his bet--the odds were hovering between even money and 8-5.
Not too bad, IMHO. Seems to me that someone else went "all in" prior to post, possibly because of Frank's enthusiasm. Frank was banking on 7-5, 8-5.That's what I remember as well from my having it on in the background. I think I heard him say early on when the horse was still well above odds on that he strongly felt the horse ought to be 1/5 or 2/5. So I'm guessing he put his bet in before the odds drop. The question is whether he still would have if he had seen the 2/5; my guess is probably since he thought this was the lock of the year.

owlet
06-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Many times you see announcers are unaware of an accident that has just taken place...they either never call it, or they call it about a furlong or two after it happens...

Um Frank acknowledged the incident--a complete wipe out on a bull ring track right in front announcer's booth--during his call.

He continued his Marv Alpert schtick anyway.

Any other apologists?

lamboguy
06-01-2010, 03:57 AM

my guess would be that before they had the tvg board, pace advantage was the only board in action that has some count to it. in the short time i have been here i have met some pretty interesting people from being on this site. those people don't post here, but they do monitor this site. i highly doubt that those people of whom i have become friendly with have ever been on the new tvg site.

just for arguement sake, tvg probably has more members now due to pumping the site constantly on television, but bigger often times is not better. in my particular case, i do everything in the racing game from my house that you could possibly do. one thing i do is manage horses, the less i manage, the better i do. in this case less is much better for me.

GARY Z
06-01-2010, 05:38 AM
Interesting the # of posts that have been generated in tandem
with the Filly's name.

Fact is, the filly had one race over SYNTHETIC surface at Kee in a 7fg affair,
on 4/17, had the 11 post and there was enough pace to at least
pause before betting the"all in" wager, which again I question
how much?

Additionally, the horse went directly to Bel after the first start,
had no published w/o at Mth, as the trainer was shooting for the
big NJ bred purse $$.

Easy to redboard the race after the fact, but no way would any
handicapper plunge on this type of Fav, especially when Mth is
offering better values in large fields of all calibers.

tucker6
06-01-2010, 07:33 AM
with the Filly's name.

how much?

big NJ bred purse $$.

Good post. I guess the other question is why was this horse a 2-5 favorite with no workouts or races on dirt in her resume. This smells.

comet52
06-01-2010, 08:03 AM
If you needle someone after they take a bad beat, you're not a gambler, you're just a jerk. I don't see how anyone can blame the guy for walking after that. It's better than punching a jerk in the nose when he definitely deserves it.

bitter
06-01-2010, 08:45 AM
unprofessional on both accounts
but frank takes the cake with his storm off (form in hand mind you)
tell me you can't wait until a commercial break to leave?
we've all been where he has, but the majority of us don't make our living on what he does. Act like a professional for god sakes, not like a baby on national television b/c some 2/5 horse in an obscure meaningless monmouth race didn't cash your tickets. You're the one who decided to tell the world you were "all-in" on the horse, take the good with the bad.

Fwizard
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
JMHO, this all seems like a "work" (staged) to me.....

Trotman
06-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree with CJ with regards to hanging your hat on a 2-5 shot, but I feel Frank handled the ribbing from Wolf as a professional. Had it been me in Frank's shoes you wouldn't believe the beating I would lay on the jerk. This clown Wolf should be tossed. :ThmbDown:

onefast99
06-01-2010, 09:38 AM
with the Filly's name.

how much?

big NJ bred purse $$.

I second that, excellent observation on the race and as you mentioned it is easier to see the flaws once the race is over but that horse was overbet.

PhantomOnTour
06-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Mirahmadi bets.
Wolff doesn't.

Why is Wolff announcing horseracing then? All the guys who call the WSOP on ESPN (Norm Chad and Mceachern) actually play poker. Same with that Sexton guy, who is awesome. Teddy Atlas calls boxing matches because he actually fought at one time.

Guys like Wolff and Rudolph should handle the 'announcing' side of the telecast and leave the handicapping to Mirahmadi, Mr B and the other so-called experts.

Wonder what woulda happened to Wolff if he went up to Mitch 'Wild Thing' Williams after giving up Joe Carter's series winning homer and asked him if he should have egg on his head. It would turn into one of those Batman fight scenes: KAPOW! ZONK!

Wolff was outta line...and so was Frank.

The Hawk
06-01-2010, 10:23 AM

If this is not the largest board, what is? There's no way there's a bigger -- or better -- board than this. I would have stumbled upon it, with all the time I spend online. TVG ain't either bigger or better, by the way.

The Hawk
06-01-2010, 10:25 AM

I actually thought that at the beginning, PA, but then watched it and thought otherwise. If in fact Frank called in to "apologize" and Greg said something snide like "too late," as was alleged here, I think the root of it is a sincere feud between Wolf and Frank. Which is not hard to envision, Wolf is a tool.

kid4rilla
06-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Mr. B's reaction was sincere surprise and uncomfort. Not staged. I think Frank being a real player does get fed up with that mess. He lets you know by his tone during conversation that he feels most things that come out of Matt C. and Wolf's mouth are nonsense.

Great idea to get some rivalry there. Frank can be TVG's Barkley.

Busting chops = ratings!

Roy C
06-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Facts on this story:

1. Was a set up between producers and Frank.

2. Wolf and Mr B were not in on it.

3. Frank when betting is in the top 10% of amount wagered at track (how on a tvg salary I will never know but it's true)

Tom
06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
They showed a Suffolk race on delay because they were wasting time talking about this stupid thing.

All three of them - waste of time.
I missed most of it because I had the sound off, as usual.

Light
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
It's clear that Frank did not walk off the set because he lost the bet.He walked off after Wolf's disrespectful comment.Total lack of sensitivity on Wolf's part to ridicule someone when they are upset.

BombsAway Bob
06-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Mirahmadi bets.
Wolff doesn't.
Why is Wolff announcing horseracing then? All the guys who call the WSOP on ESPN (Norm Chad and Mceachern) actually play poker. Same with that Sexton guy, who is awesome. Teddy Atlas calls boxing matches because he actually fought at one time.
Guys like Wolff and Rudolph should handle the 'announcing' side of the telecast and leave the handicapping to Mirahmadi, Mr B and the other so-called experts.
Wonder what woulda happened to Wolff if he went up to Mitch 'Wild Thing' Williams after giving up Joe Carter's series winning homer and asked him if he should have egg on his head. It would turn into one of those Batman fight scenes: KAPOW! ZONK!
Wolff was outta line...and so was Frank.

I swear i can post YOU-Tube Clips EVERYWHERE but Here @ Pace!
WTF?

(Fixed it up for you: cj)

hYVKAelhp0c

kenwoodall2
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Facts on this story:

1. Was a set up between producers and Frank.

2. Wolf and Mr B were not in on it.

3. Frank when betting is in the top 10% of amount wagered at track (how on a tvg salary I will never know but it's true)
Setup? The 2-5 shot lost to start the ball rolling! What was setup? Frank's bet on the horse? The horse losing?

philcski
06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
of course it was staged. these guys don't make their own picks and don't bet and could care less. i did meet the mirror man at the great barrrington fair when i was hustling a few jocks book there. he was a decent guy, and had a personality, he did bet his $10's and $20's back then.

the only guy i can't stand is todd scruff. he just made a crack about the pace advantage board on sunday, saying how tvg surpassed pace advantage as the largest horse board. i have never been to the tvg horse board, and neither do i plan to in the next 25 years. i can only imagine how stupid it must be.

they needed to copy the pace advantage board because their business model stinks. they are non-inovative. compare them to ubet, they have tv audience, ubet has inovations. tvg don't do half the handle ubet does, and their numbers look better than they are on the surface because they bought exclusivety.

Guy, I don't know you... but you sure do make up a lot of sh1t that isn't true.

I don't like TVG either, because their blowhard analysts drive me nuts, but TVG did SEVEN TIMES the handle of Youbet in 2009.

philcski
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I swear i can post YOU-Tube Clips EVERYWHERE but Here @ Pace!
WTF?

Are you an apologist for everything TVG?

Roy C
06-01-2010, 01:47 PM
The whole on air gag was a set up between Frank and producer.

BombsAway Bob
06-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Are you an apologist for everything TVG?
oh, yeah... not sure what i was apologizing for from that quote, but sure...
i also refund any losing TVG on-air tickets with your proof of wager, too! :rolleyes:

cj
06-01-2010, 02:08 PM
The whole on air gag was a set up between Frank and producer.

That is the story, but there is no way to verify it. How much effort did they put into a stunt that more times than not would never come off because the horse would win?

slew101
06-01-2010, 02:18 PM
If that was set up, then Frank should get some minor acting gigs. Sounds like spin after the fact.

Roy C
06-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Read article on Paulick Report...under comments Tony from TVG spills the beans

philcski
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
oh, yeah... not sure what i was apologizing for from that quote, but sure...
i also refund any losing TVG on-air tickets with your proof of wager, too! :rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have quoted your first comment in this thread instead.

Marshall Bennett
06-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Sounded like Greg asked him had Frank's filly lost would he let him break an egg over his head.
I don't find it to be an insult , but more of a joke . No , I believe Frank was more upset with his horse losing and took it out on Gregs play with him . Sounds more like Frank needing to grow a pair than Greg being an ass .

BlueShoe
06-01-2010, 04:43 PM
"WTF am I doing here?"
The California fair circuit starts in two weeks, and am assuming that Frank will be back in the announcers booth for most of the season. Behind the mic calling the races and doing impressions is a much better fit for him than as a TVG host, imo. At the time, thought that he made a mistake turning down the Turf Paradise job in favor of joining TVG.

kenwoodall2
06-01-2010, 08:04 PM
The California fair circuit starts in two weeks, and am assuming that Frank will be back in the announcers booth for most of the season. Behind the mic calling the races and doing impressions is a much better fit for him than as a TVG host, imo. At the time, thought that he made a mistake turning down the Turf Paradise job in favor of joining TVG.
Do fair announcer make as much as TVG hosts who get $60 pick 4 picks? :lol:

Wickel
06-01-2010, 11:18 PM

I totally disagree. I think Frank's one of the top two or three analysts and hosts on the network. Unlike many of his cohorts, who make misguided comments, are totally unprepared and joke about everything under the sun, Frank knows the sport inside out. He offers inside info, insight, unparalled analysis and he'll actually pick a price every now and then (believe it or not!!:D) I have watched in recent weeks how some of his fellow anchors (you know who I'm talking about) have irritated him with their juvenile display and carrying on about everything. So, in retrospect, maybe the Cal fair circuit will be a welcome break.

bobbyt62
06-02-2010, 01:05 AM
i couldn't remember the word for a long time to describe wolfe, but many have used it here to remind me------twerp. having said that , he's on the air, so that must be what they(tvg) want, or they don't think he's a twerp. it's not the first time he's made snide remarks to someone. frank lost his cool, and i understand. i would like to think he and even i could shrug off a severe ribbing in FRONT OF A NATIONAL AUDIENCE, but maybe i'd have done what he did or worse. it's understandable, but wrong---wrong from the perspective of those of us who are adults and need a job with an income, regardless of amount. if it was a setup, management won't object. if it was the behavior they don't endorse, he's gonzo, though i hope not--get rid of wolfe if anyone. chris rock, speaking of o j simpson and his wife he murdered, gave a long set up about how wrong it was , bad, etc......then, in reflection upon how mad a woman can make a man, said " he was wrong, and i don't endorse it, but I UNDERSTAND".

PaceAdvantage
06-02-2010, 04:07 AM
If this is not the largest board, what is?Good question. I suppose I should have let the fact that I have absolutely zero free time to visit other boards tip me off that in fact, PA is fairly large in the grand scheme of Internet horse racing boards.

Now, in the even larger scheme of message boards period, PA is indeed a pipsqueak.

I only have to visit avsforum.com as one example:

PA: Threads: 66,454, Posts: 864,716, Members: 14,489

vs.

AVS: Threads: 1,156,603, Posts: 18,128,491, Members: 859,506

Deepsix
06-02-2010, 04:09 AM
I visit AVS for all my electronics research.... cool site.

redshift1
06-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Good question. I suppose I should have let the fact that I have absolutely zero free time to visit other boards tip me off that in fact, PA is fairly large in the grand scheme of Internet horse racing boards.

Now, in the even larger scheme of message boards period, PA is indeed a pipsqueak.

vs.

I have spent many hours on avs, very serious techs there.

Stillriledup
06-02-2010, 05:52 AM
Frank said at about 2 mins to post, "this would be the kind of horse that would send me to the exits if she lost"

jamey1977
06-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Showed a lot of class by just leaving. You should have torn off all of their toupees. How many of those hosts have rugs on their heads ? If someone is egging you on just leave. More winners will come. I bet to win and if the horse goes 8 to 5. I will pull the bet. I want 9 to 5 and up at post or I'll pull. Now if the horse goes 2 to 5 during the race. Something is up with that. Hang in there.

Bruddah
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM

Holy Cow Buffalo Bob, you mean to tell me TVG has race fans that have computers and can type too!! :eek: :faint: :eek:

Bruddah
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Good question. I suppose I should have let the fact that I have absolutely zero free time to visit other boards tip me off that in fact, PA is fairly large in the grand scheme of Internet horse racing boards.

vs.

PA you and I both know membership and the other numbers are only the tip of the Iceberg. Lurkers generate significant viewership and advertising potential. I'm sure the number of clicks your site (PA) generates is very very impressive.

Congratulations on your success.

ronsmac
06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
I would have punched that midget Greg Wolf for good measure .

WinterTriangle
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Wow a TVG personality acting like a real gambler

Except that his job, the one he gets paid to do at TVG, is not as a gambler.

It's as an analyst.........for the viewers.

What (personal money) he has on a horse is of no consequence while he's on the clock in the capacity of that job, IMHO

FEARTHECHOMP
06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
There is no way that board is bigger than this one. There are hardly any posts.

TVG.....The land of the left coast Bias...And where Zenyatta is Alla... LOL

thespaah
06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
Both Wolf and Frank acted unprofessionally. Frank M should have sucked it up and stayed on set at least until the next commercial break then left while off -air.
Wolf should have kept his snide remarks to himself.
IMO both should be admonished by TVG management.

Tom
06-03-2010, 07:34 AM

vs.

I'm trying, Boss, I'm trying! :eek:

Vinman
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
I see that Developing Story, this time with Johnny V. in the boot, is entered in the 12th at Monmouth on Sunday. He's stretching out from 6 furlongs to a mile & 70 from post 7 in a field of 10.

His BRIS speed figure went from the 91 on the Poly at Keeneland to an 82 in the Monmouth race where he ran 2nd at 2/5. His BRIS Prime Power number for Sunday is 14 points higher than the second ranked horse, Miz Maggie Mae.

He may well be the best horse in the race, but I've found that the outside posts at Monmouth, even the 7, are not good going two turns.

Vinman

castaway01
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I see that Developing Story, this time with Johnny V. in the boot, is entered in the 12th at Monmouth on Sunday. He's stretching out from 6 furlongs to a mile & 70 from post 7 in a field of 10.

His BRIS speed figure went from the 91 on the Poly at Keeneland to an 82 in the Monmouth race where he ran 2nd at 2/5. His BRIS Prime Power number for Sunday is 14 points higher than the second ranked horse, Miz Maggie Mae.

He may well be the best horse in the race, but I've found that the outside posts at Monmouth, even the 7, are not good going two turns.

Vinman

If he's 2-5 again, hopefully Frank will pass this time.

InsideThePylons-MW
07-02-2010, 06:55 AM
If he's 2-5 again, hopefully Frank will pass this time.

Why pass? Not many times you get to pad your bankroll with a 2/5 all-in cinch.