PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Frank says "I'm your Huckleberry"

andymays
05-31-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.sgvtribune.com/news/ci_15194022

Excerpt:

"The thoroughbred racing industry in California needs comprehensive renewal and there are a number of people in California, that would like to defend decline," Mills said. "Defending the status quo is defending decline. We will not defend the status quo."

Excerpt:

Stronach, who chairs MID, is expected to present MID's new plan himself at the CHRB meeting on June 21 at Hollywood Park.

"We have to figure out a way to get people focused on doing what we have to do to modernize the business in California," Mills said.

Regardless of the business decisions MID makes, any kind of industry reform won't be easy, Brackpool said. State laws regulating thoroughbred horse racing and race tracks have been in place several decades.

Stronach reportedly favor changes such as deregulation of racing dates but that would require a change approved by the state legislature, Brackpool said.

FenceBored
05-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't know, Andy. Is Mr. Stronach really Doc, or is he Johnny Ringo? It seems to me that the accepted wisdom out in California is that Chilly is Wyatt, Frank is Ringo, and Brackpool is Doc.

-cUnXWNO17s

andymays
05-31-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know, Andy. Is Mr. Stronach really Doc, or is he Johnny Ringo? It seems to me that the accepted wisdom out in California is that Chilly is Wyatt, Frank is Ringo, and Brackpool is Doc.

-cUnXWNO17s

You da man fence.

Perfect!

For now he's Johnny Ringo.

rwwupl
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Additional exerpt from article:

Meanwhile, racetrack officials are looking at replacing Santa Anita's defective synthetic surface, which failed to drain during the 2008-09 winter meet and caused the facility to lose 11 racing days.

Stronach, who always favored a natural surface, "understands that a natural organic surface is the better way to go," Mills said. "We are working with California trainers with all kinds of different possibilities to put a proper organic surface at Santa Anita."

In 2005, the CHRB mandated synthetic surfaces at the major thoroughbred racetracks in the state starting January 1, 2008. A subsequent decision, however, allows the board to review any changes on a case-by-case basis.

Mills said no one has invested more in thoroughbred racing than Stronach has, and the horse racing enthusiast continues to care deeply about improving the industry.

"Here's a man that has invested over $200 million in thoroughbred racing industry," Mills said. "Not one nickel of profit has been taken out of California racing assets under Frank Stronach's leadership.... Some people, because we're Canadians, think we are taking money out of California back to Canada. That statement is not true."

My guess is that Stronach wants to run Santa Anita in direct competition to Hollywood and Del Mar...and become once again the undisputed dominant king of California racing,a near year around racing schedule...Hollywood is on borrowed time and Del Mar is featuring "entertainment"..And with a new dirt surface he would have an excellent shot at the permanent Breeders Cup,... anyway we will have more light after Stronach presents his plan to the CHRB at the June meeting. (how much are the tickets to the meeting? Ha Ha)

rwwupl

Greyfox
05-31-2010, 11:07 AM
Is a "natural organic surface" what we call dirt?

rwwupl
05-31-2010, 11:20 AM
Is a "natural organic surface" what we call dirt?

That is what I call "dirt"

Deepsix
05-31-2010, 11:23 AM
Geez, the SGV Tribune must be getting more hits on their webpage than ever. I noticed that Roger Stein read from the Art Wilson article (we know where he got that info <smile> ), too. Roger did comment on the "unnamed sources" and how that is such a poor journalistic approach and fraught with peril.

I notice that they (SGV Trib) have the CHRB meeting date as 6/21... actually I believe it's 6/22 according to the CHRB online schedule.

rwwupl
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM
That is what I call "dirt"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_organic_matter

Natural organic matter (NOM) is broken down organic matter that comes from plants and animals in the environment.[1] NOM is a collective term, assigned to the realm of all of this broken down organic matter. Basic structures are created from cellulose, tannin, cutin, and lignin, along with other various proteins, lipids, and sugars. NOM is very important in the movement of nutrients in the environment and plays a role in water retention on the surface of the planet. These two processes help to ensure the continuance of life on Earth.

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Geez, the SGV Tribune must be getting more hits on their webpage than ever. I noticed that Roger Stein read from the Art Wilson article (we know where he got that info <smile> ), too. Roger did comment on the "unnamed sources" and how that is such a poor journalistic approach and fraught with peril.

I notice that they (SGV Trib) have the CHRB meeting date as 6/21... actually I believe it's 6/22 according to the CHRB online schedule.

You'll have it figured out soon. It's complicated. ;)

But then again maybe you can't handle the truth. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

Deepsix
05-31-2010, 11:58 AM
You are correct.... its 'cause its so complex, with so many players, with so many agenda. I think I know my obvious limitations and I simply contribute a morsel, or two, when I'm able. <winky dinky> Thankfully we have many experts inside the game, without agenda, to help me understand. I sleep better this way.

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
You are correct.... its 'cause its so complex, with so many players, with so many agenda. I think I know my obvious limitations and I simply contribute a morsel, or two, when I'm able. <winky dinky> Thankfully we have many experts inside the game, without agenda, to help me understand. I sleep better this way.

Just enjoy the ride. Still a couple of furlongs to go. ;)

Fingal
05-31-2010, 12:42 PM

-cUnXWNO17s

Hmm...good analogy. And we all know what eventualy happened to Johnny Ringo.

rwwupl
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Just enjoy the ride. Still a couple of furlongs to go. ;)

If it were not for those Austrian /Canadian Hurdles we could see the wire. Hang on...

kenwoodall2
05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
The bad news is, if FS had a plan it would be out already; And the idea that racing only needs a ton of money thrown at it is ridiculous. I have given CHRB and MEC many low-cost ideas to get the public interested in racing but they just do not care. They are into it to get what they all individually want out of it IMHO. Stronach and/or the CHRB can contact me if that is not true!