PDA

View Full Version : Which college/university did everyone go to?

letswastemoney
05-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Hi. I went to UC Santa Barbara a few years ago and finished a business economics degree (although I'm getting a second degree at CSU Stanislaus). How about you?

If not a university, did you go to any other type of school after high school? Horse school perhaps? Trade school?

eastie
05-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Northeastern University. Go Huskies !

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:06 AM
University of San Diego. magna cum "notes up my sleeve".

miesque
05-31-2010, 01:11 AM
University of Virginia

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:12 AM
University of Virginia

And did you graduate first in your class?

Don't ask me. I went on a baseball scholarship and played poker on the back of the bus. ;)

miesque
05-31-2010, 01:15 AM
And did you graduate first in your class?

Don't ask me. I went on a baseball scholarship and played poker on the back of the bus. ;)

Well somehow I managed not to kill any fellow classmates. :lol:

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Well somehow I managed not to kill any fellow classmates. :lol:

I find that hard to believe but if you say so.

I even minored in religious studies. God help me.

Robert Goren
05-31-2010, 01:18 AM
UNL, where Bo Polini is now officially the second coming.

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:19 AM
UNL, where Bo Polini is now officially the second coming.

Is he Sicilian or Italian. It make a difference. ;)

chickenhead
05-31-2010, 01:23 AM
I didn't graduate high school.

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:25 AM
I didn't graduate high school.

Hence the "chickenhead".

B.S. going to college is almost meaningless nowadays. From your postings I can tell you have a little education.

Chickenhead you ain't no chickenhead. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
05-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Is he Sicilian or Italian. It make a difference. ;) I have no idea. He can swear with the best of them, if that helps. As far this state is concerned, he could be an illegal.

miesque
05-31-2010, 01:27 AM
I find that hard to believe but if you say so.

I even minored in religious studies. God help me.

I spent my first two years in Electrical Engineering and then moved over to Economics and also took the requisite classes necessary for the CPA Exam even though that was Accounting. I know that makes no sense but you have no idea how Engineering School can screw with your psyche, especially since that was not your main goal to begin with rather a means to an end. :D

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:29 AM
I have no idea. He can swear with the best of them, if that helps. As far this state is concerned, he could be an illegal.

That would be me.

Sicilians speak half english and half italian. For example my great grandmother used to call ice cream "Iceascreama". :D

andymays
05-31-2010, 01:30 AM
I spent my first two years in Electrical Engineering and then moved over to Economics and also took the requisite classes necessary for the CPA Exam even though that was Accounting. I know that makes no sense but you have no idea how Engineering School can screw with your psyche, especially since that was not your main goal to begin with rather a means to an end. :D

Now I understand everything.

You're allright in my book Miesque. Even if you do want me to get lost.:)

chickenhead
05-31-2010, 01:46 AM
Hence the "chickenhead".

B.S. going to college is almost meaningless nowadays. From your postings I can tell you have a little education.

Chickenhead you ain't no chickenhead. :ThmbUp:

Disliked my Honors English teacher Senior year, got in a feud, didn't turn in a final, can't get a diploma without passing all requirements. Refused to make it up.

Can only shake my head about it.

Tell your kids if they don't do their homework, like me, they'll end up spending their time yacking away the hours in the off topic section of a gambling website..... saddled with a goofy handle no less.

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2010, 01:59 AM
Queen's University, Belfast, Northern Ireland.

Architecture.

miesque
05-31-2010, 02:01 AM
I have a follow-up question to the college answers. How many are still working for the same company you got a job with after college (including mergers)?

I bet you I am the only dumbass that answers that question. Have had several promotions but still the same company, just larger and some name changes via mergers.

letswastemoney
05-31-2010, 02:04 AM
Disliked my Honors English teacher Senior year, got in a feud, didn't turn in a final, can't get a diploma without passing all requirements. Refused to make it up.

Can only shake my head about it.

Tell your kids if they don't do their homework, like me, they'll end up spending their time yacking away the hours in the off topic section of a gambling website..... saddled with a goofy handle no less.
Many community colleges offer the equivalent of a high school diploma. I think it's called the GED. It's never too late!

chickenhead
05-31-2010, 02:36 AM
You mean like I could take the GED in to my boss and ask for a raise?

That would be pretty funny, actually -- he'd get a kick out of it.

miesque
05-31-2010, 02:41 AM
You mean like I could take the GED in to my boss and ask for a raise?

That would be pretty funny, actually -- he'd get a kick out of it.

Just tell him its the 2010 version of B-School.

chickenhead
05-31-2010, 02:56 AM
he'd probably demote me if I told him that...

andymays
05-31-2010, 03:01 AM
I have a follow-up question to the college answers. How many are still working for the same company you got a job with after college (including mergers)?

I bet you I am the only dumbass that answers that question. Have had several promotions but still the same company, just larger and some name changes via mergers.

When I graduated College the Bookie I worked for was rounded up in a sweep by the Feds and he was killed in prison by an angry customer. He was a nice guy. When I took over his business I found out why he was so miserable. When the people that bet with you win they're at your door on Tuesday morning. And when they lose you can't find the dirty rotten S.O.B's (excuse my language).

Anyway we all have a cross to bear and I found mine on the road to perdition.

kenwoodall2
05-31-2010, 03:34 AM
3 community, done none, Hamburger U.

illinoisbred
05-31-2010, 06:45 AM
University of Illinois-Chicago Circle. Majored in Criminal Justice-Graduated in 1978.

Pace Cap'n
05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
University of Tulsa, where the jocks not only attend class, they might set the curve.

GaryG
05-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Univ of Southern California - B.A. Physics

Didn't go to grad school, only used it for answering Jeopardy questions

Advice to young people: Study Liberal Arts.....the goal of going to college is to become an educated person. I took some history and philosophy classes at East Tenn State just because I wanted to.

Fwizard
05-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Florida Tech---Accounting---where our football team is still undefeated--of course we don't have a football team yet..

Ocala Mike
05-31-2010, 07:55 AM
Queens College of the City University of New York, 1963. Baseball team (we sucked), and English Lit. major.

Famous alumni include Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Simon (Simon and Garfunkel), and radio talk-show host Michael Savage (Weiner).

Ocala Mike

andymays
05-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Queens College of the City University of New York, 1963. Baseball team (we sucked), and English Lit. major.

Famous alumni include Jerry Seinfeld, Paul Simon (Simon and Garfunkel), and radio talk-show host Michael Savage (Weiner).

Ocala Mike

The baseball team may have sucked but it looks like a Key Race to me. :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
05-31-2010, 08:28 AM
When I graduated College the Bookie I worked for was rounded up in a sweep by the Feds and he was killed in prison by an angry customer. He was a nice guy. When I took over his business I found out why he was so miserable. When the people that bet with you win they're at your door on Tuesday morning. And when they lose you can't find the dirty rotten S.O.B's (excuse my language).

Anyway we all have a cross to bear and I found mine on the road to perdition.
what a tough business, that is a game where everytime the phone rang, both guys were trying to take each other's money away from them.

i like things better today in the world of paramutual gambling, if by some chance i win, i know i earned every dime of the money i get. i consider myself very fortunate, i have a pretty decent understanding of this game, and have some type of an idea as to how to separate a few dollars away the mutual pools by the end of the year. but i am one of the few people that you will ever meet that spends 14 hours a day at this game. i sit home all day and exercise inbetween races, my wife makes me the same dinner every day, chicken and green veggies. and i eat dinner watching races. i am also one of the most boring people you could ever speak with. maybe if i went to college i would have more carisma and would have done things differenty, but i am happy being in the horseracing game.

andymays
05-31-2010, 08:35 AM
what a tough business, that is a game where everytime the phone rang, both guys were trying to take each other's money away from them.

i like things better today in the world of paramutual gambling, if by some chance i win, i know i earned every dime of the money i get. i consider myself very fortunate, i have a pretty decent understanding of this game, and have some type of an idea as to how to separate a few dollars away the mutual pools by the end of the year. but i am one of the few people that you will ever meet that spends 14 hours a day at this game. i sit home all day and exercise inbetween races, my wife makes me the same dinner every day, chicken and green veggies. and i eat dinner watching races. i am also one of the most boring people you could ever speak with. maybe if i went to college i would have more carisma and would have done things differenty, but i am happy being in the horseracing game.

To tell you the truth you learn more at the "School of Hard Knocks".

Chicken and veggies? Where's the rare Ribeye and a martini with an olive and an onion? ;)

Valuist
05-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Northern Illinois Univ, which unfortunately is best known now for the Valentines Day shooting 2 years ago.

jballscalls
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
University of Washington for undergrad, Gonzaga U. for law school but i dropped out after a year and went to work at a horse track.

prospector
05-31-2010, 09:58 AM
St Louis University..Finance
thank you G.I. bill...expensive school..still had to work 32 hours a week to afford it..but so worth it..

illinoisbred
05-31-2010, 09:58 AM
University of Washington for undergrad, Gonzaga U. for law school but i dropped out after a year and went to work at a horse track.
You made it further than me. I took the LSAT at Northwestern and planned on staying out a year to make some money before attending law school. Locally, business was booming(with my family-owned civil engineering/constuction firm) Little did I know that the Carter recession was right around the corner.

SchagFactorToWin
05-31-2010, 10:05 AM
Where's the rare Ribeye and a martini with an olive and an onion? ;)

An olive AND an onion? I can't decide if that's decadent or like wearing a belt and suspenders! ;)

Buffalo State College- Philosophy major, Economic Statistics minor (that's where I developed the handicapping method I still use).

jballscalls
05-31-2010, 10:16 AM
You made it further than me. I took the LSAT at Northwestern and planned on staying out a year to make some money before attending law school. Locally, business was booming(with my family-owned civil engineering/constuction firm) Little did I know that the Carter recession was right around the corner.

i actually took a year off before going as well. my dad died during my senior year of college and i was burned out. won a small poker tourney in vegas for 12k a week after college grad, and managed to live off playing medium limit hold em for a year.

law school wasnt something i was ever really interested in, it was just what i had planned as the next step so i went. I still remember sitting at the idaho stateline OTB playing arlington park with my civil procedures book on one side of the table and the drf on the other side.

illinoisbred
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
i actually took a year off before going as well. my dad died during my senior year of college and i was burned out. won a small poker tourney in vegas for 12k a week after college grad, and managed to live off playing medium limit hold em for a year.

law school wasnt something i was ever really interested in, it was just what i had planned as the next step so i went. I still remember sitting at the idaho stateline OTB playing arlington park with my civil procedures book on one side of the table and the drf on the other side.
Both Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure were required for a Criminal Justice major. I was fascinated by both and law school seemed like the next step to me too. Never regretted not going on but the idea of practicing criminal law within the sphere of horse racing might be an interesting career.

rastajenk
05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Miami here...not The U; home of Big Ben, member of the Might MAC.

That was after a stint at Mizzou, and before some time at the UofA's RTIP. :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I graduated from the "School of Hard Knocks." ;)

cj's dad
05-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Many community colleges offer the equivalent of a high school diploma. I think it's called the GED. It's never too late!

Doesn't that mean "Good Enough, Dude" ??

Overlay
05-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Bachelor's (Political Science)(1975): Claremont Men's College, Claremont, California (also the alma mater of falconridge) (The school is now known as Claremont McKenna College, since it went coed a couple years after we graduated, but still wanted to preserve the name recognition of the initials CMC, so it incorporated the name of Donald McKenna, one of the college's first trustees). CMC is one of the five Claremont Colleges, along with Pomona College, Scripps College (which was (and still is) a women's college), Pitzer College, and Harvey Mudd College.

Master's (Systems Management)(1984): Florida Tech (satellite campus in Rock Island, Illinois) (Florida Tech is based in Melbourne, Florida, but operates satellite campuses at prominent military installations around the country.) (Rock Island is no longer one of them, however.) (A classmate of mine and I did a research project for one of our statistics classes on wagering patterns at Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois (a 5/8-mile harness track that is now defunct as a live racing facility, although it does (I believe) still host intertrack wagering).)

PhantomOnTour
05-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Louisiana State University Fighting Tigers!

Home of the following NFL greats:

JaMarcus Russell---JaMiracle
Dwayne Bowe---The Importer
Glenn Dorsey---I'm Hurt...Again!

NJ Stinks
05-31-2010, 11:51 AM
Mount St. Mary's College in Emmitsburg, Maryland

BS in Conservative Propaganda

Currently, I'm going for my masters degree and PA Off Topic - General is required reading.

46zilzal
05-31-2010, 11:59 AM
The school with the most NCAA championships to its name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association

Presently, UCLA, Stanford and Southern California have the most NCAA championships; UCLA holds the most, winning a combined 108 team championships in men's and women's sports, with Southern California second, with 102, and Stanford third with 101.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-31-2010, 12:10 PM
Master's (Systems Management)(1984): Florida Tech (satellite campus in Rock Island, Illinois) (Florida Tech is based in Melbourne, Florida, but operates satellite campuses at prominent military installations around the country.) (Rock Island is no longer one of them, however.) (A classmate of mine and I did a research project for one of our statistics classes on wagering patterns at Quad City Downs in East Moline, Illinois (a 5/8-mile harness track that is now defunct as a live racing facility, although it does (I believe) still host intertrack wagering).)

I grew up in Rock Island, IL, went to Augustana College (combined Math/Computer Sci degree back then). Left for a job in Chicago after graduating, still have family back there. (Stayed in that first computer job, with advancements & in company transfers, for 17 years. Got wise (& divorced) and got out of the job (stress.) Eventually found a racing/handicapping job. Much happier!

rastajenk
05-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Ken Anderson's college! I heard "Kenny Anderson, from tiny Augustana College" so much during his hey-day that I thought 'tiny' was part of its name.
:)

fast4522
05-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Proud Harvard dropout, graduate of WhatsamatterU

wes
05-31-2010, 02:13 PM
The School Of Hard Knocks!

wes

RaceBookJoe
05-31-2010, 02:23 PM
The School Of Hard Knocks!

wes

One more graduate of UHK also !!!

Dave Schwartz
05-31-2010, 04:52 PM

Job?

Overlay
05-31-2010, 05:37 PM

Unless you count a total of six jobs that I took as temporary employment in the three years immediately following college graduation (none of which I had the intention of making my life's work), I have been in the same Federal civil service career program (although at nine different duty locations, due to promotions or mandatory mobility) over the past 32 years.

Lefty
05-31-2010, 07:19 PM
One semester of highschool. I dropped out because I could pass all the tests but didn't want to do the homework. The school insisted on the homework.
After that, like wes, University Of Hard Knocks.
Did a ton of reading though.

witchdoctor
05-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Houston Baptist University 1980
University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio 1984

Rutgers
05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. BA in Economics.

Ocala Mike
05-31-2010, 09:18 PM
The baseball team may have sucked but it looks like a Key Race to me. :ThmbUp:

Well, they didn't waste their time going out for the baseball team like I did. Now, they're all filthy rich, and I'm posting drivel on PaceAdvantage.

Ocala Mike

Rookies
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
University of Toronto, H.B.A. with a Major in U.S. History & Pol Science. ;)

My Grandfather arrived from Cork and became a Railway Engineer.
My Dad was the only kid in his family of 7 to finish University in 1935.
My Daughter becomes the 3rd. generation with a B.A. in Biz Mgt. & will add a Marketing Degree soon.

I've had a wide variety of jobs, including teaching, been a politician :rolleyes: , but my major focus in my career has been what could be termed 'enforcement'.

To those who have no degree and have hard noxed it- nothing wrong with that- at all. Only, that Western society limits your work opportunities if you don't! As for myself, since I have made a career of declining to kiss anyone's ass and speaking out in certain situations, I haven't advanced to CEO. :D I probably get that from my Dad, who died when I was 12, but was a no nonsense hard ass.

TrifectaMike
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Here is what I know for sure.

I attended PS1, PS2 and JHS 12 on the lower eastside of Manhattan.

I graduated from Brooklyn Technical HS.

Here is where it gets tricky.

I awarded myself a PHD in Mathematics from NYU

Several years later I awarded myself a PHD in Engineering Sciences from Columbia.

I lead the research team that developed the real-time on board voting computers for the Space Shuttle Navigation and Guidance System. Also devloped many of the Guidance Systems for many of the weapon systems we have today. I had a top secret clearance for many years.

Recently, I discovered I was living in a parallel universe. I really only graduated HS.

Mike

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, they didn't waste their time going out for the baseball team like I did. Now, they're all filthy rich, and I'm posting drivel on PaceAdvantage.

Ocala Mike

Mike, they should be so lucky as to be able to post here. They aint tough enough to survive even one day in the trenches.

WeirdWilly
06-01-2010, 02:37 AM
If not a university, did you go to any other type of school after high school? Horse school perhaps? Trade school?

U.S. Navy Electronics Technician "A" School, PACE (Program for Afloat College Education), Pontiac Business Institute, and Computer Data Inc.

Working on my Ph.D. at the University of Hardknox.

newtothegame
06-01-2010, 03:13 AM
lmao....not laughing at you Willy...more like laughing at myself.
I attended that fine naval establishment called "ET" school in the Great Lakes.
Got to mod 24 and decided I didn't like electronics! Well, needless to say the base commander didnt like that too much so he decided to send me to the fleet as a BM (boatswain mate for you non naval types). Get this...my report date on NEW YEARS EVE not later then 2359. LOL Guess I really pissed him and his electronics school off.
Needless to say I had the time of my life being in Deck dept U.S.S Constellation CV-64.
Other then that.....UHK and damn proud of it! (I think) lol.

proximity
06-01-2010, 05:52 AM
after high school i attended the university of pennsylvania and believe it or not, even graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in economics.

unfortunately (to answer miesque's question) i was never able to get a job commensurate with the degree but eventually was able to pay off the debt i had incurred and move on with my life. :)

onefast99
06-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Syracuse University. Pre-dome.

serp
06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Univ. of Kentucky and Tennessee. Math and Computer Science. I'm surprised there's not more math and cs guys in this thread.

JBmadera
06-01-2010, 09:32 AM
csu, chico - finance, economics and beer.....:eek:

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
I got my Master Electrician license(s) at the Univ. of Hard Work and Paying Attention @ the showing up drug free and on time campus.

PhantomOnTour
06-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I got my Master Electrician license(s) at the Univ. of Hard Work and Paying Attention @ the showing up drug free and on time campus.
If there's one thing the younger folks cannot seem to do it's show up on time. This 'five after the hour' thing really chaffes my ba**s.

mostpost
06-01-2010, 10:36 AM
Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. BA in Liberal Arts. Ironic huh? Class of '65.

cj's dad
06-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Southern Illinois University in Carbondale. BA in Liberal Arts. Ironic huh? Class of '65.

Two words for you: Walt Frazier

WeirdWilly
06-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Univ. of Kentucky and Tennessee. Math and Computer Science. I'm surprised there's not more math and cs guys in this thread.

They are all too busy handicapping (or writing handicapping software).

kid4rilla
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
University of Louisville - Computer Information Systems

Great program, and great people in the administration.

Most people I worked with during my working days in software were not graduates at all however, which I think is common in the industry.

I got a ton from it because I was a jackass who really needed it.

Greyfox
06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
BA in Liberal Arts.

Liberal?? Who'da ever thunk that? Sure fooled most of us eh. :D

mostpost
06-01-2010, 01:13 PM
At the time SIU was what they called a "Small" college. Our big rival was Evansville (Indiana). During the regular season, they beat us twice by one point at the buzzer. (Once when we missed a shot, that rimmed and rimmed and rimmed and fell out. Once when Evansville scored a layup as time ran out.)
We played them for the national championship at Evansville and they beat us by three in OT. After the game my voice was gone. It didn't matter though, because I couldn't hear either.
The leader of that undefeated Evansville team? Jerry Sloan

mostpost
06-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Two words for you: Jim Hart

Lefty
06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Most, guess what, i'm a native of Evansville Ind. Came to vegas in 76. Yep,
Evansville is about as rabid a basketball town as you'll find anywhere.

McSock
06-01-2010, 02:07 PM
CSU San Bernardino BS mathematics

Totally worthless if you dont want to teach. :(

letswastemoney
06-01-2010, 02:43 PM

You must have been burning in that desert.

horses4courses
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Similar predicament with my degree.

Graduated in 1981, Trinity College, Dublin (Ireland)

BA (General Degree) English, History, Economics.

BlueShoe
06-01-2010, 03:58 PM
One more graduate of UHK also !!!
Glad to see that I have so many classmates here, since I too attended that fine institute of higher learning. After graduating with honors, went on to earn advanced degrees in Street Smarts and Common Sense during active service in the US Navy and the workforce.