PDA

View Full Version : Little League Baseball

harpowitz
08-27-2001, 11:44 AM
I don't remember where the following comes from "It matters not who won or lost but how they played the game", but it certainly does not apply to the recently concluded Little League Championships.

I was rooting for the Bronx kids because they represented NY and because they and their fans brought some "color" to the games. According to league officials, these 11-12/13 year olds became the most scrutinized team in history. Also, the managers of the team were most cooperative and forthcoming in providing proof that the kids met all the age and residency requirements. Despite this there continued to be accustions that they were either too old (as one person said Almonte handled himself in a fashion that was too mature and adult for a 12 year old) or not residents of the Bronx. Two teams, Staten Island and a New Jersey team, hired private investigators at a cost of $10,000 to dig up what they could to discredit the team.

On the other hand, many players on the other teams looked more physically mature than 12/13 but no questions were raised about their status.

The announcers, Kelley and ? surprised me by taking a stand that I didn't think I would hear. They agreed that the basis for the reactions of the other teams was that the Bronx kids were minorities from the inner-city so clearly suspect of any kind of chicanery!!. They would do things that teams from white suburbs would never do.

The only ones who showed any class and didn't let losing affect their appreciation of getting to the series were the kids themselves. They seemed to understand there was something beyond the outcome of the game that was important.

How can we keep adults away from kids so they can enjoy growing up?

08-28-2001, 11:06 PM
Seems like they were right .The hotshot kid was older than claimed. Too bad cheating has got down to little kid games..............

harpowitz
08-29-2001, 06:20 AM
The worst meal I've ever eaten is a main course of crow followed by a dessert of humble pie. I usually wash it down with a glass of vintage castor oil and am ready to express my opinions once again. I'm waiting for pop Almonte to say something to see if he can save the day. It seems my handicapping is consistently poor.

Tom
08-29-2001, 09:45 AM
And they say horse racing is fixed!
I think this is far worse than any thing Pete Rose ever did.
No wonder so many athletes a grow up to total morons-they are raised that way.
Personally, I haven't watched a baseball game since the strike-and I don't miss it a bit. If I need to see grown men scratch themselves and spit, I can alway go to the grandstand side ~G~

Tom

andicap
08-29-2001, 12:01 PM
Tom, you're near Rochester right? Why not go see minor league games. These kids are hungry and put out a good product. And it's very cheap. I went to a game a few years back in Albany. $6.50 got me a seat right behind home plate and beers were $1.50 (this was 5 years ago) for 16 oz. It was a great game on a nice summer night.
As far as I'm concerned I'll only go to minor league games now.

Tom
08-30-2001, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by andicap
Tom, you're near Rochester right? Why not go see minor league games. These kids are hungry and put out a good product. And it's very cheap. I went to a game a few years back in Albany. $6.50 got me a seat right behind home plate and beers were $1.50 (this was 5 years ago) for 16 oz. It was a great game on a nice summer night.
As far as I'm concerned I'll only go to minor league games now.

That's right - The Red Wings at Frontier Field. I only went there once-for Zippy Chippy's race!
I used to go to the Geneva Cubs-AAAAAAA ball - you got to sit about three feet from the players.
Now that I have Penn, Evd, and Mnr at night, I don't go to any ball games.

I couldn't think of a worse thing to do than go to any major league sport live-every one of them are totally over-proced and there is not ne professinal player in any sport, IMO worth the money they get. I'll be the last guy to contribute to these prima donna cry-babies.
Now I hear they want to tear down Yankee Stadium and build a new one with more lush boxes so the Boss can get richer. And Juliani is helping him? Brother, I didn't think anyone could make Hillary look good, but Julie and the idiot she beat sure changed my mind. Msut be the water?
Tom

andicap
08-30-2001, 09:37 PM
Well, Hillary is keeping a low profile and want to help upstate NY's economy. Of course since Bush gave away the entire surplus in a tax cut for the rich there's no money left to help Upstate NY.

smf
08-31-2001, 09:15 AM
Espn article @ the 14 yr old kid.

'The Kid' apparently hasn't gone to school for sometime now. How nice.

http://espn.go.com/moresports/llws01/s/2001/0829/1245356.html

Sorry, but I'm tired of anyone and everyone that cries out "racism" whenever this happens to kids of "color". As if a white kid w/ get different treatment.

Andy, Tom; Glad you guys (not us)have Hilary to deal with . Today we get to sentence the democrat piece of crap that sold out Bush by sending info/ tapes to the Gore campain. I hope she gets the same as Halderman, Erlichman, etc... The spirit of the crime was the same.

Doubt we'll see it tho. She's too.... 'democrat' for that to happen.

Tom
08-31-2001, 10:40 AM
smf-we will be happy to share Hillary with you anytime.
andy-the money is better spent by us than letting that SOB Wacky-Pataki get his hand on it. The best way he could help NY would be to resign. I am writing in Dave Schwartz in the next election (seriously!). Maybe I can get the whole Yahoo board to vote for him ~G~
Maybe Mellon bank should have to pay back the money they "lost". That would help.
BTW, andicap, I used a couple of BRIS files for Alington simulcasts at WO yesterday-HTR files weren't ready by the time I hade to leave the other day. I used the formulae you posted a while back for the pacce figs and caught a couple decent ones. Thanks.
Tom