PDA

View Full Version : She didn't say that did she? Maureen Dowd on "President Spock"

andymays
05-30-2010, 12:38 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/30/opinion/30dowd.html?ref=opinion

Excerpt:

President Spock’s behavior is illogical.

Once more, he has willfully and inexplicably resisted fulfilling a signal part of his job: being a prism in moments of fear and pride, reflecting what Americans feel so they know he gets it.

Excerpt:

Too often it feels as though Barry is watching from a balcony, reluctant to enter the fray until the clamor of the crowd forces him to come down. The pattern is perverse. The man whose presidency is rooted in his ability to inspire withholds that inspiration when it is most needed.

Excerpt:

Obama and top aides who believe in his divinity make a mistake to dismiss complaints of his aloofness as Washington white noise. He treats the press as a nuisance rather than examining his own inability to encapsulate Americans’ feelings.

boxcar
05-30-2010, 01:00 PM
BO is starting to get a lot of heat from the Left on this oil spill. Every day this crisis drags on, he will lose more Americans' confidence in his ability to lead.

Rush has long been on the mark with this guy. BO is no leader. He's just a cheap, two-bit community organizer whose only area of expertise in life is agitation.

Boxcar

kenwoodall2
05-30-2010, 01:18 PM
He will jump right in to an issue if he has a beer in his hand! (Cops vs. blacks).

andymays
05-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Peggy Noonan: He Was Supposed to Be Competent - WSJ.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704269204575270950789108846.html

Excerpt:

I don't see how the president's position and popularity can survive the oil spill. This is his third political disaster in his first 18 months in office. And they were all, as they say, unforced errors, meaning they were shaped by the president's political judgment and instincts.

JustRalph
05-30-2010, 04:34 PM
I always said it would take two years for them to turn on him

The oil spill hastened it.........along with 3 or 4 other things

cj's dad
05-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I always said it would take two years for them to turn on him

The oil spill hastened it.........along with 3 or 4 other things

The environment will survive this oil spill just as it did the "Exxon Valdez" and Mt. St Helens", the question is will it survive 2-1/2 more years of this fool ???

NJ Stinks
05-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Peggy Noonan: He Was Supposed to Be Competent - WSJ.com

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704269204575270950789108846.html

Excerpt:

I don't see how the president's position and popularity can survive the oil spill. This is his third political disaster in his first 18 months in office. And they were all, as they say, unforced errors, meaning they were shaped by the president's political judgment and instincts.

Noonan's article from the the headline through the first 3 paragraphs:

He Was Supposed to Be Competent
The spill is a disaster for the president and his political philosophy.

There was the tearing and unnecessary war over his health-care proposal and its cost. There was his day-to-day indifference to the views and hopes of the majority of voters regarding illegal immigration. And now the past almost 40 days of dodging and dithering in the face of an environmental calamity. I don't see how you politically survive this.

The president, in my view, continues to govern in a way that suggests he is chronically detached from the central and immediate concerns of his countrymen.

Let's stop right here with Peggy Noonan's obituary.

Peggy is a pretty good writer - I'll give her that. But what she claims are facts at the top of the article that I italicized is BS IMO.

Blunder #1 - The Oil Spill. I certainly don't blame Obama for the oil leak. Hence, I could give a blank how he appears to be "handling" it. Sure, Obama could try to make us feel better by appearing to have the leak under control. That approach was tried with Katrina. ("Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.")

For all the righties wailing "Drill, baby, drill" - well - we drilled. Good call, righties. Passing the buck to Obama for what Peggy calls "his third political disaster" just makes me want to lift my feet up so I don't step in it.

Blunder #2 - "Tearing and unnecessary war over his healthcare proposal and it's cost". It was an unnecessary war if you already have and can afford adequate health insurance, or are in good health, or have no pre-existing conditions. Otherwise, I'd say it looks pretty darn necessary. So why do it when the economy stinks? How about because Republicans were never ever going to do a damn thing to reform healthcare and the window of opportunity to get something done hinged on Dems controlling both houses in Congress?

Blunder #3 - "Illegal immigration". Who has tried to tackle illegal immigration in Washington? The Dems - that's who. Obama backed the Senate Immigration Reform Plan back in March. It still stuck in the Senate and can't pass without any Republican support. Does any of this Senate proposed immigration legislation ring a bell with ace reporter Noonan?

Anyway, the title of Noonan's article says it all about the typical conservative slant of the WSJ IMO. :ThmbDown:

andymays
05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Noonan's article from the the headline through the first 3 paragraphs:

He Was Supposed to Be Competent
The spill is a disaster for the president and his political philosophy.

There was the tearing and unnecessary war over his health-care proposal and its cost. There was his day-to-day indifference to the views and hopes of the majority of voters regarding illegal immigration. And now the past almost 40 days of dodging and dithering in the face of an environmental calamity. I don't see how you politically survive this.

The president, in my view, continues to govern in a way that suggests he is chronically detached from the central and immediate concerns of his countrymen.

Let's stop right here with Peggy Noonan's obituary.

Peggy is a pretty good writer - I'll give her that. But what she claims are facts at the top of the article that I italicized is BS IMO.

Blunder #1 - The Oil Spill. I certainly don't blame Obama for the oil leak. Hence, I could give a blank how he appears to be "handling" it. Sure, Obama could try to make us feel better by appearing to have the leak under control. That approach was tried with Katrina. ("Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job.")

For all the righties wailing "Drill, baby, drill" - well - we drilled. Good call, righties. Passing the buck to Obama for what Peggy calls "his third political disaster" just makes me want to lift my feet up so I don't step in it.

Blunder #2 - "Tearing and unnecessary war over his healthcare proposal and it's cost". It was an unnecessary war if you already have and can afford adequate health insurance, or are in good health, or have no pre-existing conditions. Otherwise, I'd say it looks pretty darn necessary. So why do it when the economy stinks? How about because Republicans were never ever going to do a damn thing to reform healthcare and the window of opportunity to get something done hinged on Dems controlling both houses in Congress?

Blunder #3 - "Illegal immigration". Who has tried to tackle illegal immigration in Washington? The Dems - that's who. Obama backed the Senate Immigration Reform Plan back in March. It still stuck in the Senate and can't pass without any Republican support. Does any of this Senate proposed immigration legislation ring a bell with ace reporter Noonan?

Anyway, the title of Noonan's article says it all about the typical conservative slant of the WSJ IMO. :ThmbDown:

Bottom line is that the man knows how to vote "present". That's the extent of his skills.

Live long and prosper NJ. ;) :D

skate
05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
welp, no doubt that i agree with what is said bout theBO.

But just you wait and see if he doesnt get re elected.

they have an upscale give away package just sitting behind the curtain.
Not to mention what they are giving away already.

boxcar
05-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Bottom line is that the man knows how to vote "present". That's the extent of his skills.

Live long and prosper NJ. ;) :D

Neither was Katrina Bush's fault, but I bet you blamed him until the cows came home for mishandling the response.

Having said this, allow me to give you a clue: All natural disasters and even bad accidents of disastrous proportions are usually not the government's fault. But how does this fact absolve the government from performing its duty to protect us? The government does fine passing laws that neither protect us or our inalienable rights because such laws are in Big Gov's best selfish interests. Tyrannical laws you cheer. But when it comes to serving the public's best interests you give the president of the U.S. a pass? BO can't even give Jindal the okay to proceed with his plan, since the president, obviously, can't offer any solutions!? It's somehow better for the president to obstruct an attempt to protect the LA shoreline? :bang: :bang: You're unbelievable! In fact, I'm not sure if the lights have ever been on up in your attic! :rolleyes:

Boxcar

andymays
05-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Neither was Katrina Bush's fault, but I bet you blamed him until the cows came home for mishandling the response.

Having said this, allow me to give you a clue: All natural disasters and even bad accidents of disastrous proportions are usually not the government's fault. But how does this fact absolve the government from performing its duty to protect us? The government does fine passing laws that neither protect us or our inalienable rights because such laws are in Big Gov's best selfish interests. Tyrannical laws you cheer. But when it comes to serving the public's best interests you give the president of the U.S. a pass? BO can't even give Jindal the okay to proceed with his plan, since the president, obviously, can't offer any solutions!? It's somehow better for the president to obstruct an attempt to protect the LA shoreline? :bang: :bang: You're unbelievable! In fact, I'm not sure if the lights have ever been on up in your attic! :rolleyes:

Boxcar

Box, I think you have the wrong guy.

boxcar
05-31-2010, 06:04 PM

Sorry 'bout that, Andy. I know all your lights are on and that both your feet are touching the planet at all times.

NJ...my last post was directed toward you -- in response to the foolishness in your post.

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
05-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Sorry, Andy, but you own Boxcar's response now. :cool:

boxcar
05-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry, Andy, but you own Boxcar's response now. :cool:

You are one sorry individual. You finally have something right. And I suppose coming from you that would be "cool". :rolleyes:

Boxcar

andymays
05-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Sorry 'bout that, Andy. I know all your lights are on and that both your feet are touching the planet at all times.

NJ...my last post was directed toward you -- in response to the foolishness in your post.

Boxcar

I wouldn't go that far. My lights are on most of the time and I have one foot on the planet some of the time. ;)

No sweat at all Box. :ThmbUp:

delayjf
06-01-2010, 10:00 AM
NJ,

I believe Peggy Noonan to be correct. I believe her point is that Obama is simply on the wrong side of the fence compared to the majority on the issues of illegal immigration, and healthcare. You may agree with his position on those issues,fine. But if the polls are a true indication, he will not be re-elected based on his (your) position on those issues.

The oil spill may not be his fault, but if he continues to appear disconnected or incompetent in his handling of the spill, then his approval ratings will suffer as well.