PDA

View Full Version : WOW! Oak Tree will probably move act to Hollypark! Your move Frank!

andymays
05-30-2010, 08:43 AM
http://www.insidesocal.com/horseracing/

Excerpt:

There's less than a 5 percent chance the Oak Tree Racing Association will hold its annual fall meet at Santa Anita in 2010, according to an industry official close to the situation who requested anonymity because he's not authorized to speak about the subject.

According to the official, Santa Anita's parent company, Magna International Developments, is playing hardball and will not budge on its demands, either to Oak Tree officials or members of the California Horse Racing Board, who called out Magna officials at their monthly meeting last week.

Excerpt:

If Stronach is so dissatisfied that he would let Santa Anita fall by the wayside if he doesn't get his demands, he should sell the track immediately to someone who holds the Great Race Place in a higher regard and will do what's right for the sport and not what's best only for Magna. He's not alone in a me-first environment that is so prevalent in the sport today, but it's something that needs to stop if the California racing industry wants to right what is now a sinking ship.

Tom
05-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Oh great...now we will have a track named OHOL to screw up our databases. :rolleyes:

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 09:17 AM
.... yeah, the 'ole 'unknown source' thingy, again. <again> Hey, I could be wrong BUT I'm still thinking that Oak Tree will be at SA. I'm definitely not some inside source and I have only this as my basis for anticipating an agreement:

1) Dispite of the public expressions of discord its in all of the major player's interest to have the meet at SA: i.e., Oak Tree, Magna, SA, CHRB, and

2) Santa Anita is such a beautiful venue the general public would prefer to see racing from SA, and

3) Letting SA sit dormant for that extra period, and even the remotest possibility that SA fall even further down the drain is not in anyone's interest, and

4) Meaningful contract discussion are negotiated in private, and MAGNA wants help in funding the change of track surface. Playing hardball may force cost sharing for the return to dirt?

I suggest waiting for the final announcement.

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:18 AM
.... yeah, the 'ole 'unknown source' thingy, again. <again> Hey, I could be wrong BUT I'm still thinking that Oak Tree will be at SA. I'm definitely not some inside source and I have only this as my basis for anticipating an agreement:

1) Dispite of the public expressions of discord its in all of the major player's interest to have the meet at SA: i.e., Oak Tree, Magna, SA, CHRB, and

2) Santa Anita is such a beautiful venue the general public would prefer to see racing from SA, and

3) Letting SA sit dormant for that extra period, and even the remotest possibility that SA fall even further down the drain is not in anyone's interest, and

4) Meaningful contract discussion are negotiated in private, and MAGNA wants help in funding the change of track surface. Playing hardball may force cost sharing for the return to dirt?

I suggest waiting for the final announcement.

I agree that I'll have to see it to believe it.

They're negotiating through the media. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

I know for a fact that Art Wilson is plugged in.

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 09:25 AM
If they were using the media (negotiating in the press) I doubt that they'd be using Art Wilson in the San Gabriel Valley Press. But, that's just me. AND, you can add Roger Stein to that small list. <smile>

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:28 AM
If they were using the media (negotiating in the press) I doubt that they'd be using Art Wilson in the San Gabriel Valley Press. But, that's just me. AND, you can add Roger Stein to that small list. <smile>

Well, you have the LA Times and Eric Sondheimer and Bill Dwyre who have only been involved in reporting on Horse Racing for a couple of years. Just about all of the insiders in California read Art Wilson. You would also be mistaken about Stein. He has a much bigger audience than people think. Especially outside of California.

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 09:29 AM
We'll see Andy. It won't be long.

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:31 AM
We'll see Andy. It won't be long.

I have a feeling Stein will go over this article and so will Race and Sports Radio with Felix Taverna.

Felix is on at 7:OO am pst.

http://raceandsportsradio.com/listen_live_right_here

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 09:33 AM
Without doubt he will. lol I'm sure you've been active in providing info!! Ha!

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:34 AM
Without doubt he will. lol I'm sure you've been active in providing info!! Ha!
Yes, I'm the man behind the curtain. ;)

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Naw, not behind the curtain. You've posted here many times concerning your friendships/relationships with the racing media community and you are active in organizing/influencing opinion; I read your comments on many blogs/websites (Andrew A. I believe) Nothing wrong with that.

We'll see what happens with Oak Tree.

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Naw, not behind the curtain. You've posted here many times concerning your friendships/relationships with the racing media community and you are active in organizing/influencing opinion; I read your comments on many blogs/websites (Andrew A. I believe) Nothing wrong with that.

We'll see what happens with Oak Tree.
I feel violated. :lol:

Yes, as this plays out it will be interesting.

The only question is when will the first lawsuit be filed.

Fager Fan
05-30-2010, 10:18 AM
I feel violated. :lol:

Yes, as this plays out it will be interesting.

The only question is when will the first lawsuit be filed.

What lawsuit? Are you saying that Stronach doesn't have the right to end their lease?

Stronach is in the right on this one. If Oak Tree wants to bring in the BC on a permanent basis, then Oak Tree should pay some of those profits to Santa Anita.

Zman179
05-30-2010, 10:18 AM
Oh great...now we will have a track named OHOL to screw up our databases. :rolleyes:

An extended HollyPark meet? I might need some ALC to go with that OHOL.

andymays
05-30-2010, 10:23 AM
What lawsuit? Are you saying that Stronach doesn't have the right to end their lease?

Stronach is in the right on this one. If Oak Tree wants to bring in the BC on a permanent basis, then Oak Tree should pay some of those profits to Santa Anita.

I'm not saying anything but what I said. You're reading into my comments a little too much. Yes, Stronach has his rights under the Bancruptcy laws.

Greyfox
05-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Is there any chance that the C.H.R.B. is wrong here?
Should they be granting racing dates to a management group that doesn't own a track?? Maybe they've been wrong for years granting dates to the group instead of the owners of the facility?

andymays
05-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Is there any chance that the C.H.R.B. is wrong here?
Should they be granting racing dates to a management group that doesn't own a track?? Maybe they've been wrong for years granting dates to the group instead of the owners of the facility?

Each side in this soap opera has it's faults.

In my opinion the CHRB should have always acted in the best interest of Racing in California instead of the best interest of certain people.

Their web address has a .gov in it. Not a .OakTree Not a .Stronach Not a .Leibau Not a .whatever.

Eddie W
05-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Hollywoodpark is closing its doors, when they get the ok....This might be
hollywoodpark last summer meeting

Igeteven
05-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't care what insiders say or do, here are the cold facts behind Stronach make up

1. He is Austrian, these people are hard core, if anyone ever travel over seas to that country, one will know what I mean.

First of all ,the dates belong to the CHRB, they can put the dates where they want.

Does Oak Tree own a race track, No, Are the racing dates guarantee to Oak Tree, No.

Stronach has the Ace up his Sleeve, it's called Golden Gate and Santa Anita, the State will lose a fortune if he closes the tracks. (Political Blackmail) He will try to get those dates, I also read some where else, he is getting those racing dates.

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Caruso and Santa Anita Park owners talk Shops - Whittier Daily News

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15186985

Excerpt:

"Certainly, MID has the right to proceed in doing what they believe is best for their business, but simultaneously, the city of Arcadia, needs to be sure that what MID believes is right for their business is right for the community."
The City Council unanimously approved the upscale retail, restaurant and entertainment project in 2007. It was estimated to generate about $2.5 million in sales and property taxes during its first year of operation.
In recent years, the project has been mired in litigation between Caruso and the nearby Westfield Santa Anita Shopping Mall, causing delays.

Read more: Caruso and Santa Anita Park owners talk Shops - Whittier Daily News http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_15186985#ixzz0pQSutnI0

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 11:16 AM
I posted on this aspect about a week, maybe 10 days ago (LA Business) with Caruso commenting that Stronach said they (Caruso and Stronach) would reopen their discussions on this topic. Caruso said that Stronach said the delay was an inevitable part of the bankruptcy process.

Greyfox
05-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't care what insiders say or do, here are the cold facts behind Stronach make up

1. He is Austrian, these people are hard core, if anyone ever travel over seas to that country, one will know what I mean.

Are all Austrians hard core?? Talk about stereotyping. :lol:

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 11:28 AM
Ya gotta love Lester's posts: he leads with a statement that "here are the facts" and then he rattles off a bunch of personal opinions. Too funny!

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Paulick Report Blog Archive OAK TREE AT HOLLYWOOD PARK IN 2010? BELIEVE IT

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/oak-tree-at-hollywood-park-in-2010-believe-it/

Excerpt:

In a blistering attack on Frank Stronach and MI Developments, the company that acquired ownership of Santa Anita Park through the bankruptcy of a second Stronach-controlled company, Magna Entertainment, Southern California racing journalist Art Wilson says Stronach should sell Santa Anita to someone who cares more about the sport that, in Wilson’s words, is a "sinking ship" in California.

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Andy, two questions: 1) did you provide info to Art Wilson for his article? and 2) did you provide Paulick with the Art Wilson article?

LOL You don't have to answer.

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Andy, two questions: 1) did you provide info to Art Wilson for his article? and 2) did you provide Paulick with the Art Wilson article?

LOL You don't have to answer.

Who me? I won't answer thanks. Are you Ray Paulick? ;)

kenwoodall2
05-30-2010, 01:37 PM
http://chrb.ca.gov/press_releases/2010_05_21_press_release.pdf
SA/Oak Tree lease would have required Oak Tree to loan SA(MID)(Stronach) $10 million! Stronach is off the deep end and at the bottom of the pool!

Deepsix
05-30-2010, 01:43 PM
That's old news (no offense intended).....

What will the final agreement look like? That will either happen (next week??, or shortly thereafter) , or it won't.

Imagine if SA is dark during that period? It won't happen.... at least as look in my crystal ball. (I discard mal-functiong crystal balls on a regular basis-- one of my largest handicapping expenses! <grin> )

andymays
05-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Anybody want to make an over/under on when the first lawsuit is filed?

I'll make it 45 days.

JustRalph
05-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I hope they stay hol

I pick em much better there

Igeteven
05-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Anybody want to make an over/under on when the first lawsuit is filed?

I'll make it 45 days.

over, 45 days :D

toussaud
05-30-2010, 10:58 PM
let me get this straight.

Frank tells them hey, you are going to pay us this much or youc an't hold your meet here anymoe

they say okay, we won't hold our meet here

than Frank sues them for not holding their meet there

if frank is that stupid.... no. i just don't see anyone being this ignorant.

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:01 PM
let me get this straight.

Frank tells them hey, you are going to pay us this much or youc an't hold your meet here anymoe

they say okay, we won't hold our meet here

than Frank sues them for not holding their meet there

if frank is that stupid.... no. i just don't see anyone being this ignorant.
Frank is an eccentric gangster in my opinion. He has good help that keeps him in action. I would love to be a fly on the wall at one of his meetings.

Is there any truth to the rumor that he was the inspiration behind the series the Office? Probably not.

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
I posted this on another thread but it's appropriate here as well.

These two can get it done.

YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Let's Call The Whole Thing Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qY22rR9tQ&feature=related

Stillriledup
05-30-2010, 11:31 PM
I posted this on another thread but it's appropriate here as well.

These two can get it done.

YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Let's Call The Whole Thing Off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qY22rR9tQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJvUCDP9u0I

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJvUCDP9u0I

They need to send them out not in. :lol:

Indulto
05-30-2010, 11:36 PM
AM,
What was the nature of the lawsuits to which you were referring? How does the revelation that TRAC included Keeneland and the BC affect the likelihood of returning to dirt under their control?

andymays
05-30-2010, 11:40 PM
AM,
What was the nature of the lawsuits to which you were referring? How does the revelation that TRAC included Keeneland and the BC affect the likelihood of returning to dirt under their control?

I'm talking about future lawsuits over this stuff.

Everyone says the return to dirt is imminent.

With Fab. Frank at he helm we could end up running on "who knows what". My suspicion is that the Breeders Cup wants synthetic but they don't want to come out and say it. They are internationalists in my opinion. There's a lot of that going on. ;)

Believe it or not everyone is watching Monmouth. If their track is safe it will become the industy standard as will the model for their meet.

Indulto
05-30-2010, 11:56 PM
I'm talking about future lawsuits over this stuff. That wasn't a trick question, I promise. ;) I'm just trying to understand who would be suing whom over what?Everyone says the return to dirt is imminent.

With Fab. Frank at he helm we could end up running on "who knows what". My suspicion is that the Breeders Cup wants synthetic but they don't want to come out and say it. They are internationalists in my opinion. There's a lot of that going on. ;) It may be that North American tracks and breeders will have to adopt international standards to survive, but I hope dirt remains the primary surface here.Believe it or not everyone is watching Monmouth. If their track is safe it will become the industy standard as will the model for their meet.What do you think will be the primary factor affecting safety at MTH -- their new cushion or running only on weekends?

andymays
05-31-2010, 12:01 AM
That wasn't a trick question, I promise. ;) I'm just trying to understand who would be suing whom over what?It may be that North American tracks and breeders will have to adopt international standards to survive, but I hope dirt remains the primary surface here.What do you think will be the primary factor affecting safety at MTH -- their new cushion or running only on weekends?

I'm really not sure who will be sued and over what. This is gonna be kinda like a bar fight. If you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time you might get knocked out too. Frank wants to nuke em all. ;)

To tell you the truth from my gut I think that since they stepped up the drug testing and eliminated steroids for the most part horses are more sound. The synthetic thing was a knee jerk response to the wrong problem.

Good Night and Good Luck, and may your next score be a big score! :ThmbUp:

Igeteven
05-31-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm really not sure who will be sued and over what. This is gonna be kinda like a bar fight. If you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time you might get knocked out too. Frank wants to nuke em all. ;)

To tell you the truth from my gut I think that since they stepped up the drug testing and eliminated steroids for the most part horses are more sound. The synthetic thing was a knee jerk response to the wrong problem.

Good Night and Good Luck, and may your next score be a big score! :ThmbUp:

When someone sues someone, one must have damages to sue.

Anyone knows any damages

andymays
05-31-2010, 12:54 AM
When someone sues someone, one must have damages to sue.

Anyone knows any damages

I'm damaged. ;) :lol: