PDA

View Full Version : Download "Hurt Locker" ? Sued you are

JustRalph
05-30-2010, 01:24 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20006314-261.html

"The plaintiff has identified each defendant by the IP address assigned to that defendant. The plaintiff believes that information obtained in discovery will lead to the identification of each of the defendant's true name."
--Voltage Pictures in complaint

This should be fun............

highnote
05-31-2010, 05:21 AM
That is interesting. I've never downloaded any movie or song illegally because I believe the artists are entitled to be compensated for their work.

Also, my town library has a huge movie collection residents can use for free.

I just watched a copy of Hurt Locker I checked out from our library and I can see why it was a box office flop. It wasn't as good as the hype, in my opinion. It wasn't bad and it had some moments. I think it did a good job of depicting what it's like to be in a war zone. I'd even recommend it, but I'd also tell the person I'm recommending it to that there are better movies than this one.

I hope they are successful in their lawsuit, but it seems to me they would be better off spending their resources on making new movies. 1.) People who download movies illegally probably would not spend money to see the majority of movies they download. 2.) Many people who download illegally probably never watch all of the movies they download.

I know a person who downloads illegally. This person literally has thousands of illegal downloads that he burns to DVD and can't possibly watch them all. I asked him why he does it. He said that maybe someday he'll get around to watching some of them. I think he's just a compulsive downloader.

So what if the company sues him and wins. 1.) He has no money to pay a large fine. 2.) If he goes to jail he's just a burden to the rest of us.

What he does is wrong, I agree. But I think the movie company is wasting it's resources.

I'm sure there are many arguments that can be made around this topic. I'd be interested in hearing them.

HUSKER55
05-31-2010, 06:28 AM
Just a thought, suppose the person paid a fee of $1 to download the movie, how can they possibly go after that person as a pirate? They can't.

People make copies of DVDs every day. You can walk down the street and get whatever you want for $5.

This suit will go nowhere.