PDA

View Full Version : Who else is watching the TCM Network ?

Rookies
05-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I have been, pretty well all day. Every Movie thus far is about WW2 and several, I've never seen.

What's playing right now is one that Bette Davis, I believe, said was the best movie ever made: 'The Best Years of Our Lives'. For those that haven't seen it, it's about the lives of 3 returning Vets and dealing with re-integration into peacetime society and wrestling the demons brought on by war.

Gives me great pause again to think about the sacrifices Vets, especially WW2 Vets had to assume. No wonder so many were so quiet for so long about the things they saw, the experiences they went through and how they learned to cope in troubled times.

It is one of the best transformations in North American society that today, regardless of one's personal feelings about the various wars, people on both sides support the Vets. In the past, especially during the Vietnam era, this was not the case and I'm ashamed to say that I was probably one of them if the issue arose. No longer.

Thumbs up to them all on the upcoming American holiday. :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
05-29-2010, 11:54 PM
The Best Years Of Our Lives is a tremendous film! Frederic March's speech at the Cornbelt Loan & Trust Company dinner gets me every time! :ThmbUp:

Here's the link if you want to see the speech again or for the first time. The year is 1946 and the speaker is a vet who just returned home from the Pacific. Upon returning home the vet not only got his job back at the bank - he got a promotion at the bank to VP of small loans. The only problem is he wants to loan money to vets who have zip collateral. Needless to say - the bank does not appreciate his new loan policy.

Enough already! :) The link's below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igXHsHZhoYU

Robert Goren
05-30-2010, 12:25 AM
The GI Bill passed in June of 1944, made it possible for 2.4 million returning WWII vets get low interest-no down payment housing loans.

JustRalph
05-30-2010, 01:07 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Russell

Great Film........

IELMoOcSKf8