PDA

View Full Version : DWC winner not considering BC

FenceBored
05-27-2010, 02:39 PM
Gloria De Campeao the winner of the Dubai World Cup is committing to Australia in October, not America in November.

Owner Stefan Friborg has advised Racing Victoria Limited (RVL) that his champion galloper is being set for the $A3m Tatts Cox Plate (2040m) at Moonee Valley on Saturday, 23 October.
-- http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/spring-racing/default.aspx?id=46895

cj
05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
Probably a smart move considering his chances of winning our Classic on real dirt are slim and none.

Cardus
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
First, the thread title is misleading. It implies that the Breeders' Cup was a possibility for 'Campeao. Nowhere in the link is that mentioned. It would be like producing a headline that reads, "Cuomo not considering US Presidency" because he is seeking the New York governship. I hope that you get my point.

That said, the Cox Plate is a much better spot for him than would be the Breeders' Cup Turf. The 2040m. is in his wheelhouse.

FenceBored
05-27-2010, 03:52 PM
First, the thread title is misleading. It implies that the Breeders' Cup was a possibility for 'Campeao. Nowhere in the link is that mentioned. It would be like producing a headline that reads, "Cuomo not considering US Presidency" because he is seeking the New York governship. I hope that you get my point.

No, the title isn't misleading. Whether the connections ever considered the BC as a possibility, I'm sure there were others who were certainly hoping that they would consider it, perhaps even lobbying the owners to come. After all, he did run in the Arlington Million last year, so coming to America with him has been done before. Committing to a race 14 days prior to the BC at a location half a world away pretty much means there's no possibility he will be in the gate at Churchill on Nov 6 (either in the Turf or the Classic). On the other hand, should Cuomo win the Governor's race there remains a good possibility that he would turn around and start a run for President (not saying it would be smart, but when has that stopped a politician).

Cardus
05-27-2010, 05:30 PM
No, the title isn't misleading. Whether the connections ever considered the BC as a possibility, I'm sure there were others who were certainly hoping that they would consider it, perhaps even lobbying the owners to come. After all, he did run in the Arlington Million last year, so coming to America with him has been done before. Committing to a race 14 days prior to the BC at a location half a world away pretty much means there's no possibility he will be in the gate at Churchill on Nov 6 (either in the Turf or the Classic). On the other hand, should Cuomo win the Governor's race there remains a good possibility that he would turn around and start a run for President (not saying it would be smart, but when has that stopped a politician).

I know that the analogy wasn't great, but I didn't have anything else on short notice.

Again, regardless of "others" who were hoping to see him at Churchill (no direct evidence of this), I figured that I would see somewhere in that link a mention of the Breeders' Cup.

And, taken to another level, I wonder how much "Breeders' Cup Myopia," a syndrome increasing in numbers exponentially in racing circles, has to do with this.

It's a small matter in the end, though.

WinterTriangle
05-27-2010, 06:36 PM
as cardus says, there was no plan to run Gloria here that I heard about anyway.

But, Given the small fields were having lately.........I'm also not gonna overly brag on our "classic" horses who during this years TC can't even run 3 classic races consequetively.

Doesn't inspire me to bash any euro horses.

Didn't Betfair pad our pools last year? No euro horses running, less euros betting.

Hope we don't become isolationist, would be very bad for US racing, which seems to be hobbling by right now in many locations.

BTW, Lizards Desire, that 25-1 longshot I liked for DWC just kicked Gloria's butt in a G1 in Singapore. Go de Kock!