PDA

View Full Version : Document says number of attempted attacks on U.S. is at all-time high

PaceAdvantage
05-27-2010, 03:26 AM
What a shock, eh? You go from a prez who was tough on terrorism, tough on those caught on the battlefield, tough rhetoric that made potential "evil doers" think twice about what they might or might not do....to a prez whose administration has gone in the complete opposite direction, and has made it very comfortable for potential "evil doers" to go about their business, with hardly the fear of reprisals should they get a shot off....

Document says number of attempted attacks on U.S. is at all-time high (http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/26/terrorism.document/index.html?hpt=C1)
Washington (CNN) -- Just weeks after the failed car bombing of New York's Times Square, the Department of Homeland Security says "the number and pace of attempted attacks against the United States over the past nine months have surpassed the number of attempts during any other previous one-year period."

That grim assessment is contained in an unclassified DHS intelligence memo prepared for various law enforcement groups, which says terror groups are expected to try attacks inside the United States with "increased frequency."

~~more at link above~~

Gee, I thought when we elected Obama, terror attacks on the US and attempted attacks would GO DOWN...not UP. After all, the world was going to LOVE US again...

No dummy. The election of Mr. Softie only EMBOLDENED terrorists it seems...no shock there for those of us with a brain.

BluegrassProf
05-27-2010, 05:04 AM
One thing I might make clear, given my background (in as many words as possible, apparently :ThmbUp: ):

As someone who's been funded in doing this very sort of research through DHS, the increase in smaller-scale, "lone wolf" domestic threats is FAR from unexpected. This is absolutely not as a result of the current administration's rhetoric, nor its approach to antiterrorism policy (much of which simply represents a continuation of the previous administration's policies, shocking though that might be, even despite fluffy new names...sound bytes are little more than sound bytes); it's the direct result of prototypical decentralization of terroristic groups/organizations. Believe it or not, over time and place, this happens with relative frequency.

Decentralization - the breaking down of an organization from a cohesive unit to many much smaller units (often as small as the individual) - is a high-efficiency, low-visibility method of engaging in terrorist acts...that we're seeing them within our borders isn't surprising. As an example of a very decentralized group on the other side of the spectrum, take the left-wing ecoterrorist groups ALF/ELF: these groups have no organizational structure at all - a person can, say, firebomb a pharamcological lab, and say "ELF DID IT!" even if that individual is simply saying it, and has no connection to any sort of actual group. It's very difficult to fight these sorts of groups, because there's no structure to fight, and intelligence-gathering/commmunication monitoring is difficult...like shots in the dark.

The war on Islamist terrorism (like other experiences with terrorism around the globe over *literally* hundreds of years) has ultimately caused a large-scale decentralization of groups like al Qaeda...we've been structured to engage in traditional combative offenses, here and abroad...as a result, overseas, groups go underground, splitting and mixing, dispersing under umbrella groups/ideologies; around the world, lone wolves claim affiliation and engage in individual acts. Despite the increase in literal homeland security (ie, things like port & airline security, law enforcement inter-agency cooperation/communication, etc.), it's extremely difficult, from a practical perspective, to prevent the individual act. What the POTUS, or anyone else, says has little effect - in fact, if there's a perception that extremists' views are legitimate, it can actually make the problem worse. At the end of the day, this is a terribly predictable trend that researchers and officials in this field have been talking about for some time...problem is, even when you know it's happening, it's still difficult to fight. And there's an excellent chance it'll get worse, not the contrary.

What's needed to happen (and continues to be the case) is an even stronger focus on homeland security - intelligence-gathering, interdepartmental cooperation/communication, border and transit security, surveillance (target-hardening generally). We've focused our attention outward, when the most serious threats are starting to come from within.

Great as it sounds (and despite all the inevitable calls for it), terrorism can't be fought by swinging sledgehammers around, putting holes in walls and missing the damned nails...it's more efficient - and more importantly, far more effective, and considerably less destructive - to use a smaller hammer, focusing and hitting the nails right smack on the head, and ensuring that you don't have other, larger holes to fix.

This'll sound biased, but as usual, it begins and ends with local law enforcement. Start there...they're going to continue to be the first line of defense, and need the resources, training, and personnel to do their job as best they can. Times Square incident is a great example of the individual act, and of local LE doin' their thang: the act was largely unpredictable, and the cooperative response appropriate.

But again, make no mistake: this is certainly not a new trend...it's a threat that's been growing, and one that's likely to continue for some time. Best thing this administration can do is drop the pop politics and recognize the reality of the problem they face. Fluffy names not required.

bigmack
05-27-2010, 05:24 AM
What's needed to happen (and continues to be the case) is an even stronger focus on homeland security - intelligence-gathering, interdepartmental cooperation/communication, border and transit security, surveillance (target-hardening generally). We've focused our attention outward, when the most serious threats are starting to come from within.
How does some Jihadist Pysch Major in the Army write multiple emails to known terrorists including Awlaki, seen by military staff (still yet to be disclosed to the public) gun down 12?

How does some kid who's father contacted our Embassy about his Jihadist bent get on a plane and have explosives in his BVD's?

How does The Times Square loser board a plane bound overseas?

Sheer, unadulterated incompetence. Forget about who the POTUS is.

Bureaucrats can't help but be zombies. Political correctness & pensions to worry about.

Where's Serpico when you need him?

ddog
05-27-2010, 12:48 PM
"that made potential "evil doers" think twice about what they might or might not do"

You really can't believe this pap , can you?

Would boxcar think twice about blowing up dinnerjacket!

The world doesn't run that way. You make one path, the big bombs path un-winnable, then the others will switch to another path.

It's as old as the world and existed before bush/bama and will be around after you and I are gone.

Get at least some perspective.

Some of this was held in check by forces that no longer exist and the "others" have some legitimate gripes and they really don't care that you don't see them.

Actually if you ever "win" over there, you will increase the attacks over here.

Always was the fraud in the argument.

P.S. what's needed is the understanding that to try to stop EVERYTHING will cause you to give up EVERYTHING. That will not be realized until it's too late, it never is.

highnote
05-27-2010, 08:38 PM
According to Stratfor -- a firm that specializes in Global Security and Intelligence -- Getting a trained bombmaker into the United States has proved to be increasingly difficult for jihadist groups,...

It is getting MORE DIFFICULT, not easier, for them to use bombing as an act of terrorism. Small arms attacks are, however, on the rise.

The problem, as I see it, is that the jihadists are making more attempts. The more attempts they make the more likely they are to succeed. You throw enough shit at the wall and some of it is going to stick. According to Stratfor we are going to see more small arms used in terrorist attacks. The best defense may be to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Then if you see an attack in progress at least you have a chance of returning fire and maybe preventing it from getting worse.

Check out this article:

http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/20100526_failed_bombings_armed_jihadist_assaults?u tm_source=SWeekly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=100527&utm_content=readmore&elq=69d523a12c054e22856b393547fbbbcd

By Scott Stewart

One of the things we like to do in our Global Security and Intelligence Report from time to time is examine the convergence of a number of separate and unrelated developments and then analyze that convergence and craft a forecast. In recent months we have seen such a convergence occur.

The most recent development is the interview with the American-born Yemeni cleric Anwar al-Awlaki that was released to jihadist Internet chat rooms May 23 by al-Malahim Media, the public relations arm of al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP). In the interview, al-Awlaki encouraged strikes against American civilians. He also has been tied to Maj. Nidal Hasan, who was charged in the November 2009 Fort Hood shooting, and Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the perpetrator of the failed Christmas Day 2009 airline bombing. And al-Awlaki reportedly helped inspire Faisal Shahzad, who was arrested in connection with the attempted Times Square attack in May.

The second link in our chain is the failed Christmas Day and Times Square bombings themselves. They are the latest in a long string of failed or foiled bombing attacks directed against the United States that date back to before the 9/11 attacks and include the thwarted 1997 suicide bomb plot against a subway in New York, the thwarted December 1999 Millennium Bomb plot and numerous post-9/11 attacks such as Richard Reid’s December 2001 shoe-bomb attempt, the August 2004 plot to bomb the New York subway system and the May 2009 plot to bomb two Jewish targets in the Bronx and shoot down a military aircraft. Indeed, jihadists have not conducted a successful bombing attack inside the United States since the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. Getting a trained bombmaker into the United States has proved to be increasingly difficult for jihadist groups, training a novice to make bombs has also been problematic as seen in the Shahzad and Najibullah Zazi cases.

full article at link above

ElKabong
05-27-2010, 08:56 PM
all you gullible liberals that posted 24 months ago about how terrorists hate us b/c of bush and bush-like mentalities, raise your hands.....

(pssst.they still hate you)

NJ Stinks
05-28-2010, 02:29 AM
"

Some of this was held in check by forces that no longer exist and the "others" have some legitimate gripes and they really don't care that you don't see them.

Actually if you ever "win" over there, you will increase the attacks over here.

Always was the fraud in the argument.

P.S. what's needed is the understanding that to try to stop EVERYTHING will cause you to give up EVERYTHING. That will not be realized until it's too late, it never is.

I agree. To think that we can invade their countries, kill hundreds or even thousands of innocent people no matter how unintentional, and keep our soldiers on their soil year after year - and not expect retaliation - is absurd. I can only imagine with pride what would happen to invading foreign military forces in the USA.

The P.S. was spot on too. Although I do hope if we pull out soon it won't be way too late.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2010, 02:36 AM
I agree. To think that we can invade their countries, kill hundreds or even thousands of innocent people no matter how unintentional, and keep our soldiers on their soil year after year - and not expect retaliation - is absurd. I can only imagine with pride what would happen to invading foreign military forces in the USA.

The P.S. was spot on too. Although I do hope if we pull out soon it won't be way too late.Not once did I mention invading countries and killing innocent people was an effective tactic.

PaceAdvantage
05-28-2010, 02:37 AM
"that made potential "evil doers" think twice about what they might or might not do"I knew my purposeful use of "evil doer" would cause some apoplexy. Mission accomplished! :ThmbUp: :lol:

NJ Stinks
05-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Not once did I mention invading countries and killing innocent people was an effective tactic.

I never said you did. I was just agreeing with various points in Ddog's post. When I used the words "To think" I meant people in general.

bigmack
05-28-2010, 02:54 AM
To think that we can invade their countries, kill hundreds or even thousands of innocent people no matter how unintentional, and keep our soldiers on their soil year after year - and not expect retaliation - is absurd.
Which countries have we invaded?

Sound argument you've made for profiling as we should expect 'retaliation' from anyone offended by our 'invasions'.

:rolleyes:

46zilzal
05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Blow back is based upon an equal and opposite response back to the aggressors.... That is what you are seeing from the two wars..

boxcar
05-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Blow back is based upon an equal and opposite response back to the aggressors.... That is what you are seeing from the two wars..

And BEFORE the "two wars", let's say on 9-11 what was the excuse, again, for the attacks?

Boxcar

46zilzal
05-28-2010, 12:06 PM
And BEFORE the "two wars", let's say on 9-11 what was the excuse, again, for the attacks?

Boxcar
IF you were ever to READ the accounts of a CIA operative in the Middle East for over 25 years, Robert Baer, he predicted an enormous blow back from all the dirty tricks the agency had been responsible for over the years in that part of the world dating back to the overthrow of the democratically elected president of Iran amongst others.

He repeatedly warned as well, that information about a people cannot come for the over-dependence on spy satellites and warned of trouble with fewer and fewer operatives ON THE GROUND, infiltrating the day to day operations of the Muslim world.

delayjf
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM
He repeatedly warned as well, that information about a people cannot come for the over-dependence on spy satellites and warned of trouble with fewer and fewer operatives ON THE GROUND, infiltrating the day to day operations of the Muslim world.

Indeed, a pity Pres Clinton didn't heed that warning when he cut the intel budget and put restrictions on human intel sources.

Black Ruby
05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Indeed, a pity Pres Clinton didn't heed that warning when he cut the intel budget and put restrictions on human intel sources.

Next you'll be ranting about hating big government.

boxcar
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
IF you were ever to READ the accounts of a CIA operative in the Middle East for over 25 years, Robert Baer, he predicted an enormous blow back from all the dirty tricks the agency had been responsible for over the years in that part of the world dating back to the overthrow of the democratically elected president of Iran amongst others.

Soo....for the record, you part of the crowd that says America got what she deserved? Correcto?

Boxcar

46zilzal
05-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Soo....for the record, you part of the crowd that says America got what she deserved? Correcto?

Boxcar
piss off 3/4ths of the world by interfering in their governments and helping puppet dictators get established who will protect corporate holdings and MY GOSH, those people who got screwed, usually the downtrodden, might want revenge. That is the very definition of blowback.

Robert Goren
05-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Indeed, a pity Pres Clinton didn't heed that warning when he cut the intel budget and put restrictions on human intel sources.source?

Robert Goren
05-28-2010, 03:23 PM
People who hate don't need a reason. The hate comes first, then they come up with reason.

boxcar
05-28-2010, 03:29 PM
piss off 3/4ths of the world by interfering in their governments and helping puppet dictators get established who will protect corporate holdings and MY GOSH, those people who got screwed, usually the downtrodden, might want revenge. That is the very definition of blowback.

You didn't answer my question. I'm not interested in what the "world" thinks. I asked YOU very specifically what YOU think. So, let's try this one more time to see if you have the guts (i.e. the courage of YOUR convictions) to answer honestly: Do YOU believe that America got what it deserved on 9/11?

Boxcar

46zilzal
05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
You can read about it from Robert Baer himself.

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/news/1/12386-the-education-of-bob-baer-unlearning-the-cia-.html

As early as 1983, he was chronicling the threat of Islamist terrorist networks in memos that he says few of the people who mattered in Langley or the Oval Office bothered to read. His work would win him the CIA’s Career Intelligence Medal; Seymour Hersh, the dean of intelligence reporters in Washington DC and a personal friend, once called him the “best field operative the CIA had in the Middle East.”

Historical amnesia might seem a habit of every American administration since the founding of the national security state in 1947, but it stands out as a world-historic problem in the post-9/11 environment. The attacks from Iran’s proxies in Beirut – the bombings of American military and intelligence sites, the kidnapping of Buckley – arguably presented a classic case of history coming back to haunt the CIA in the form of “blowback.” Ex-CIA analyst Chalmers Johnson has made a career writing about blowback, the CIA’s term of art for when interventionism results in long-term negative consequences for US national security. Johnson in his three books on the topic – his first was subtitled The Costs and Consequences of American Empire – makes a compelling universal argument for blowback as systemic in US foreign policy post-World War II.

bigmack
05-28-2010, 04:04 PM
I particularly enjoy Bobby Baer's take on 9-11 being an inside job. :p

He's funny.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/98/221680052_2bb354ea7f.jpg

boxcar
05-28-2010, 06:03 PM

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/news/1/12386-the-education-of-bob-baer-unlearning-the-cia-.html

As early as 1983, he was chronicling the threat of Islamist terrorist networks in memos that he says few of the people who mattered in Langley or the Oval Office bothered to read. His work would win him the CIA’s Career Intelligence Medal; Seymour Hersh, the dean of intelligence reporters in Washington DC and a personal friend, once called him the “best field operative the CIA had in the Middle East.”

Historical amnesia might seem a habit of every American administration since the founding of the national security state in 1947, but it stands out as a world-historic problem in the post-9/11 environment. The attacks from Iran’s proxies in Beirut – the bombings of American military and intelligence sites, the kidnapping of Buckley – arguably presented a classic case of history coming back to haunt the CIA in the form of “blowback.” Ex-CIA analyst Chalmers Johnson has made a career writing about blowback, the CIA’s term of art for when interventionism results in long-term negative consequences for US national security. Johnson in his three books on the topic – his first was subtitled The Costs and Consequences of American Empire – makes a compelling universal argument for blowback as systemic in US foreign policy post-World War II.

He did not answer my question. All you're telling me is about what BAER thinks. I want to know in your own words what you think by answering my direct questions to you. But obviously on this forum you're not going to bare your anti-American, Marxist soul to us. But while you're content to hide behind your thoughts, your silence on the question has revealed to us what a gutless wonder and pathetic excuse for a human being you truly are.

Boxcar

BluegrassProf
05-28-2010, 07:29 PM
But while you're content to hide behind your thoughts, your silence on the question has revealed to us what a gutless wonder and pathetic excuse for a human being you truly are.

Boxcar
Niiiiice. Pretty badass, tuff-stuff. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Niiiiice. Pretty badass, tuff-stuff. :ThmbUp:

When someone won't answer a very simple question but prefers, instead, to hide behind other people's words, someone else's quotes or what he thinks the world believes, then that person is a coward from where I sit. Glad you agree. :ThmbUp:

Boxcar

JustRalph
05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
source?

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/westmoreland/s_455609.html

Torricelli and Clinton together with many cohorts handcuffed the CIA

Tom
05-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Bobby, yes, yes.
The hatred from the Middle East was there long before WE ever were.

bigmack
05-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Modern society too distracting for angry Muz.

Muz kids not pirate movie like "Khalid Worships Mo" - Muz kids pirate Britney Spears, et al. Muz find hard to hold off notion of 72 black-eyed virgins.

Angry Muz live amongst us, attend higher education, we pay tuition.

Angry Muz never go away no matter what US do.

Angry Muz is Bad Muz.

lamboguy
05-29-2010, 09:19 AM
anyone know if there are as many attacks on us now than before during clinton and bush. i am only asking because there are different millitary personal running the defense of our country and citizen's than before

i have heard little change in official us policy, like either you are with us or against us like what bush said. or the policy's for saftey in airports and docks at our shores.