PDA

View Full Version : Part of BC at Churchill will be under the lights

Grits
05-26-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/113261.html

gm10
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I suppose it's about making it easier for people to be able to make it on Friday and I applaud that - but I'm not a huge fan of running under lights. It's not the same experience imo.

castaway01
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Something different, it should look good on TV, it's fine with me.

andymays
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I think it's a great idea. Good for them for doing it.

Dahoss9698
05-26-2010, 04:51 PM
As long as it's not on synthetic, they could run under the light of Bic lighters and I wouldn't care.

andymays
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
As long as it's not on synthetic, they could run under the light of Bic lighters and I wouldn't care.

Yep! :ThmbUp:

gm10
05-26-2010, 05:09 PM

There is no way of knowing how horses react to running under lights. Under synthetic light, one might say.

Dahoss9698
05-26-2010, 07:51 PM
There is no way of knowing how horses react to running under lights. Under synthetic light, one might say.

There is no way of knowing how horses react to a fake surface, but it didn't stop the BC from running there two years in a row.

sandpit
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM

That's how the Doobie Brothers played when I saw them in '78...

Seriously, if the weather is bad in Louisville then, it could be brutally cold once the sun is down.

BluegrassProf
05-26-2010, 08:37 PM
There is no way of knowing how horses react to running under lights. Under synthetic light, one might say. :D

Best evar.

Cardus
05-26-2010, 08:43 PM
While I understand that Louisville is on the western edge of the time zone, how is it that only the Ladies Classic will be run under the lights on Friday? It's post time is 7:30 p.m. What is the post time of the two races before it?

Also, with a 6:45 p.m. post time on Saturday, how is it that the Classic will not be run under the lights as well?

The clock goes back the week before, doesn't it?

Cardus
05-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Who will prep in the Meadowlands Cup?

Sericm
05-26-2010, 09:15 PM
Great so instead of a synthetic track we'll have the most important races run on a muddy bog at night under lights.

Hip hip hooray for dirt tracks!!!

Sericm:D

Dahoss9698
05-26-2010, 09:37 PM
Great so instead of a synthetic track we'll have the most important races run on a muddy bog at night under lights.

Hip hip hooray for dirt tracks!!!

So far Churchill has has the Breeders Cup 6 times. They have had a wet track once, in 1988. Now, I'm sure I just jinxed them and it will be wet this year, but it has not been the norm in the past.

Hip hip hooray for hyperbole!!!

alhattab
05-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Who will prep in the Meadowlands Cup?

It will be run in daylight at Mth

Daylight time ends Nov 7 this year

Cardus
05-26-2010, 10:00 PM

Thank you, sir.

Fager Fan
05-26-2010, 10:18 PM
So far Churchill has has the Breeders Cup 6 times. They have had a wet track once, in 1988. Now, I'm sure I just jinxed them and it will be wet this year, but it has not been the norm in the past.

Hip hip hooray for hyperbole!!!

In addition, a wet track is a natural condition. We all may prefer a fast track, but there's nothing wrong with a wet one. Anyone have a problem with Cigar's and Inside Information's BC wins, or Smarty Jones' Derby win, or... ?

Cardus
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
I suppose it's about making it easier for people to be able to make it on Friday and I applaud that - but I'm not a huge fan of running under lights. It's not the same experience imo.

That's a legitimate question.

In the days before Jay Hovdey wrote all of his columns about Zenyatta (maybe he was the first one?), he produced a column about horses racing under the lights at Hollywood Park.

He cited a couple of trainers, who discussed various aspects of racing at night.

It was an informative column.

Tom
05-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Night racing rocks!
Looking forward to this.....:ThmbUp:

thespaah
05-27-2010, 12:17 AM
Who will prep in the Meadowlands Cup?There is no Med fall meet. Mth has taken over some of the Med stakes.
Good question tho. Had Med been given race dates this year, I'd say the Meadowlands Cup would have had a pretty darn good field.

Sericm
05-27-2010, 02:25 AM
In addition, a wet track is a natural condition. We all may prefer a fast track, but there's nothing wrong with a wet one. Anyone have a problem with Cigar's and Inside Information's BC wins, or Smarty Jones' Derby win, or... ?

It may be a natural condition in your mind, but not mine. Some horses can handle off tracks some can't. I can make the same case for synthetics,
some horses can handle it others can't. It doesn't make it fair.
Would Mine that Bird have won on a fast track. I doubt it, you would never have heard of that horse if Churchill hadn't been sloppy or muddy or whatever.

Was the Monmouth Breeders cup fair!!! I am being facetious when I say Churchill may be muddy. But seeing as how the races are held in November in a cold weather climate the odds are it may be off.

Personally I hate synthetics, and muddy tracks. Being in California I have no choice and I don't care to follow other circuits. As soon as the idiots that are in charge of the race tracks go back to dirt the happier I'll be.

Fager Fan
05-27-2010, 08:52 AM
It may be a natural condition in your mind, but not mine. Some horses can handle off tracks some can't. I can make the same case for synthetics,
some horses can handle it others can't. It doesn't make it fair.
Would Mine that Bird have won on a fast track. I doubt it, you would never have heard of that horse if Churchill hadn't been sloppy or muddy or whatever.

Was the Monmouth Breeders cup fair!!! I am being facetious when I say Churchill may be muddy. But seeing as how the races are held in November in a cold weather climate the odds are it may be off.

Personally I hate synthetics, and muddy tracks. Being in California I have no choice and I don't care to follow other circuits. As soon as the idiots that are in charge of the race tracks go back to dirt the happier I'll be.

The BC Classic at Monmouth - Curlin followed by Hard Spun. Can't see a case for those two horses to finish near the top of the biggest races, huh?

Off tracks are what they are - a natural condition caused by the weather. Until we build huge stadiums with roofs, there is no way to avoid the weather. Racehorses have dealt with fast and sloppy dirt tracks and firm and soft turf tracks for centuries.

gm10
05-27-2010, 09:00 AM
There is no way of knowing how horses react to a fake surface, but it didn't stop the BC from running there two years in a row.

Yes and we know how you feel about that. I m just a bit surprised that you are welcoming this.

gm10
05-27-2010, 09:03 AM
The BC Classic at Monmouth - Curlin followed by Hard Spun. Can't see a case for those two horses to finish near the top of the biggest races, huh?

Off tracks are what they are - a natural condition caused by the weather. Until we build huge stadiums with roofs, there is no way to avoid the weather. Racehorses have dealt with fast and sloppy dirt tracks and firm and soft turf tracks for centuries.

sorry but the slop changes everything
it doesn't mean that the best horse won't win but you definitely need to adjust your handicapping if a surface becomes wet

miesque
05-27-2010, 09:10 AM

I did not realize the time changed a week later this year. Still, even without the time change and everyone lucks out and the weather is seasonably pleasant, it is still going to be nice and toasty at Churchill Downs by the time the Ladies Classic rolls around at 7:30 PM and the Classic at 6:45 PM since it will be the first weekend of November.

Tom
05-27-2010, 09:32 AM
I just never found first time at night to be of any concern.
I don't even think about it when playing night tracks.

Dahoss9698
05-27-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes and we know how you feel about that. I m just a bit surprised that you are welcoming this.

Why? You act as though I am opposed to change. I'm not. I just see no reason for synthetic tracks.

cj
05-27-2010, 11:22 AM
sorry but the slop changes everything
it doesn't mean that the best horse won't win but you definitely need to adjust your handicapping if a surface becomes wet

Moisture changes rubber tracks drastically as well.

andymays
05-27-2010, 11:41 AM

Especially when it's 90 degrees outside and they decide to put water on it in between races. Talk about a a drastic change. :rolleyes:

Sericm
05-27-2010, 12:07 PM

Just as I said some horses can handle some can't, but you cannot honestly say that you enjoyed the Monmouth breeders cup. Did you go to sleep at night and wake up saying "Hooray the track is going to be a mess!!!" And you cannot honestly say that it probably didn't affect 70-80% of the horses running.
A muddy track will change your handicapping completely.

gm10
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Why? You act as though I am opposed to change. I'm not. I just see no reason for synthetic tracks.

:D
you don't believe that yourself

gm10
05-27-2010, 01:43 PM

not drastically - certainly not like on dirt
in my experience temperature is the main variable - and its effect is quite predictable

Dahoss9698
05-27-2010, 03:16 PM
:D
you don't believe that yourself

I'm shocked. A deflection.

cj
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
not drastically - certainly not like on dirt
in my experience temperature is the main variable - and its effect is quite predictable

Temperature and moisture often go hand in hand. The effect of slop is just as predictable, so what is the point?