PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar 2010: Bringing "Sexy" back to the Races!

andymays
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Officials: Racetrack place to be seen in summer

http://www.lajollalight.com/life/269962-officials-racetrack-place-to-be-seen-in-summer

Excerpt:

Today's marketing plan is to attract the younger crowd by establishing Del Mar as "the place to see and be seen," much as it was in the 1940s and '50s, when Hollywood stars came to ol' pal Bing Crosby's horse racing track. History shows Crosby standing at the turnstile taking tickets on the inaugural July 3 opening day in 1937.

Excerpt:

The result of the brainstorming session was to make the track "sexy" to young adults and women, and change from publicity based on the horses to publicity marketing Del Mar as "The Social Scene."

Excerpt:

Dado said horses and jockeys are not normally emphasized in the marketing campaign, but 2010 will prove to be the exception. Del Mar is going all out to advertise female Canadian jockey Chantal Sutherland's visit; she has previously been named one of People Magazine's "100 Most Beautiful People."

deathandgravity
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
oh my :bang:
what are they planning to do? Have Chantal ride in a bikini?

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM

If you've ever been to opening day there's a lot of that.

The truth is it's a dead heat between Del Mar and Keenland when it comes to marketing their meets.

Can you say "Innovative"?

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
And one has to ask why racing is doomed with moronic marketing like this?

MAKE THE GAME THE ATTRACTION OR SOON THERE WILL BE NO GAME TO ATTEND

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM

How is it moronic? They want to attract a younger crowd.

Marketing is about making the most of what you have to work with. That's what they're doing.

Did you see the thread with the poll about "how old are you"? The biggest category is over 63. :eek:

onefast99
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
With the B-52's and ZZ Top there that alone will get nice crowds. I still think that the string bikini contests at Gulfstream were always a big draw:eek:

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 12:31 PM
How is it moronic? They want to attract a younger crowd.

Marketing is about making the most of what you have to work with. That's what they're doing.

Did you see the thread with the poll about "how old are you"?

I have witnessed this first hand....LOUD music, stupid ploys to get them through the door etc....They drink lots of beer, scream, eat, get drunk and NEVER BET because NO ONE COMES FORWARD TO TELL THEM what racing is all about

kenwoodall2
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
How moronic the new DM thinking is: "Dado said horses and jockeys are not normally emphasized in the marketing campaign, but 2010 will prove to be the exception."
They say they want to treat the Sundays either as a Hollywood event or a church social, but spotlight the horses and riders! Wow! Sounds like (new) 1700's racing!!LOL!!

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
With the B-52's and ZZ Top there that alone will get nice crowds. I still think that the string bikini contests at Gulfstream were always a big draw:eek:

2010 Del Mar Concert Series
Fri, Jul 23 Pinback

Fri, Jul 30 Common Sense

Fri, Aug 6 The B-52s

Fri, Aug 13 The Soft Pack

Sat, Aug 14 Reggae Fest: Jimmy Cliff & Matisyahu

Fri, Aug 20 Ozomatli

Sat, Aug 21 Weezer

Fri, Aug 27 Super Diamond

Fri, Sep 3 The English Beat

Sat, Sep 4 ZZ Top

Cardus
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
How moronic the new DM thinking is: "Dado said horses and jockeys are not normally emphasized in the marketing campaign, but 2010 will prove to be the exception."

It is either these or the surface.

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
I have seen this applied at three different race tracks...WITHOUT follow up, they come for the WRONG thing and look at the facility as nothing other than a new concert hall or arena.....The handle is pitiful on these days because AGAIN, they are promoting the wrong product.

A car dealer puts on a big show and draws in a big crowd, BUT the smart marketer ALSO has many more salesmen IN THE CROWD, telling and promoting the reason they roped them all in ...CAR SALES

If a marketing ploy NEVER promotes the overall product the organization in selling, why waste the time and money on the spectacle that drags in the new blood?

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:39 PM
How moronic the new DM thinking is: "Dado said horses and jockeys are not normally emphasized in the marketing campaign, but 2010 will prove to be the exception."They say they want to treat the Sundays either as a Hollywood event or a church social, but spotlight the horses and riders! Wow! Sounds like (new) 1700's racing!!LOL!!

I believe Chantal is in the new HBO series. That's probably part of the reason she's coming out.

They're making the most out of what they have to work with.

I like any article about Del Mar that doesn't mention Polytrack or Rick Arthur. ;)

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
I have seen this applied at three different race tracks...WITHOUT follow up, they come for the WRONG thing and look at the facility as nothing other than a new concert hall or arena.....The handle is pitiful on these days because AGAIN, they are promoting the wrong product.

A car dealer puts on a big show and draws in a big crowd, BUT the smart marketer ALSO has many more salesmen IN THE CROWD, telling and promoting the reason they roped them all in ...CAR SALES

If a marketing ploy NEVER promotes the overall product the organization in selling, why waste the time and money on the spectacle that drags in the new blood?

They've been doing this for years and they improve on the party each and every year.

It's about making money in tough economic times.

http://www.delmarscene.com/

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 12:47 PM
You would make a good MBA: get the $$$$$$$$ no matter the long range costs to your business...MORONIC as track after track is closing its doors..

If you want to be an entertainment only venue why race horses?

My accountant, my banker, my business manager all said the same thing over and over: You have to change a bit with the times, but REMEMBER what business you are in.

andymays
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
You would make a good MBA: get the $$$$$$$$ no matter the long range costs to your business...MORONIC as track after track is closing its doors..

If you want to be an entertainment only venue why race horses

If you were doing the marketing what would you do and how long do you think you would be in business? ;)

I got my MBA from the shool of "hard knocks". :)

BlueShoe
05-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The result of the brainstorming session was to make the track "sexy" to young adults and women, and change from publicity based on the horses to publicity marketing Del Mar as "The Social Scene."
Hollywood Park Friday nights, south version? This ploy has not exactly been a howling success in Inglewood, why should it fly at Del Mar?

Grits
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Its been many decades since having been in California. But . . . . .

RACEHORSES

DELMAR BY THE OCEAN

AND

ZZ TOP!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7eNDZLwo8Q&feature=related

All three combined in one afternoon! This would go a long way towards enticing one member of the older demographic to fly 3000 miles, if not only for the horses, but to rock to a favorite band from decades ago, and a favorite dance tune. The Eliminator cd here; the 4" heels long gone. LOLOL

Harper, though, has to pray the young open their wallets and their handbags to wager throughout the afternoon, between their beverage and food outlay.

Its still the only function that'll keep the doors open. No matter how good the music.

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Harper, though, has to pray the young open their wallets and their handbags to wager throughout the afternoon, between their beverage and food outlay.

All evidence shows they will not when they do not understand RACING and wagering!

TJDave
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
I have witnessed this first hand....LOUD music, stupid ploys to get them through the door etc....They drink lots of beer, scream, eat, get drunk and NEVER BET because NO ONE COMES FORWARD TO TELL THEM what racing is all about

What would you think would be the profit on food and drink as a percentage vs. track takeout?

If I were a track owner I'd love to sell each new customer 6 beers at 5 dollars a pop.

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 02:01 PM
What would you think would be the profit on food and drink as a percentage vs. track takeout?

If I were a track owner I'd love to sell each new customer 6 beers at 5 dollars a pop.
And PROMOTE that the idea was NOT racing,,,,,That is what is dooming the sport as we speak

kenwoodall2
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
This is a quote from the "expert" racing media LaJolla paper who wrote "Del Mar's female fan base is now 40 percent female".
Is this the type of article you want to start a thread about and want Paceadvantage posters to pay attention to? :lol:

andymays
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Hollywood Park Friday nights, south version? This ploy has not exactly been a howling success in Inglewood, why should it fly at Del Mar?

It's been flying at Del Mar for years. And flying well for them.

All due respect to Friday nights at Hollywood it's not in the same universe as a Friday night at Del Mar. Or for that matter a regular day at Del Mar.

andymays
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
All evidence shows they will not when they do not understand RACING and wagering!

Del Mar has been one of the most successful meets in the country for years.

The marketing department is top notch.

andymays
05-26-2010, 02:22 PM
This is a quote from the "expert" racing media LaJolla paper who wrote "Del Mar's female fan base is now 40 percent female".
Is this the type of article you want to start a thread about and want Paceadvantage posters to pay attention to? :lol:

It's working so far. ;)

JustRalph
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
There must be a Level 3 Cranky Front moving through Canada Today.......

with a slight chance of evening bewilderment

andymays
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM

He's got it with the MBA's. They give him heartburn.

kenwoodall2
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
If you were doing the marketing what would you do and how long do you think you would be in business? ;)

I got my MBA from the shool of "hard knocks". :)
I would include what they left out- Jousting! Or some other contact sports exhibition.

Tom
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Weiner dog racing would put my fanny in a seat! :jump:

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 03:03 PM

No just someone INSIDE who knows WHO is destroying my sport...and this is NOT my opinion alone but from others at Fort Erie, Saratoga and Woodbine and at several harness tracks as well.

andymays
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Weiner dog racing would put my fanny in a seat! :jump:

You want it you got it.

http://www.lajollalight.com/life/269962-officials-racetrack-place-to-be-seen-in-summer

Excerpt:

For the first time, Del Mar is hosting the finals of the Wienerschnitzel Wiener Nationals dog race on Sept. 6. Fans will watch the top 16 dogs that advance from the 300 dachshunds competing at the Aug. 28 regional at Qualcomm Stadium.

WinterTriangle
05-26-2010, 04:01 PM
......change from publicity based on the horses to publicity marketing Del Mar as "The Social Scene."

Yeah, the horses are just an afterthought.

I imagine at some point, the brilliant marketers will think:........................why even have horses at all?

:bang:

establishing Del Mar as "the place to see and be seen," .

Like the mall, fancy restaurant, or nightclub.

Before you know it, there will be a DJ drowning out the race call announcer.

andymays
05-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Yeah, the horses are just an afterthought.

I imagine at some point, the brilliant marketers will think:........................why even have horses at all?

:bang:

[/color][/size][/color].

Like the mall, fancy restaurant, or nightclub.

Before you know it, there will be a DJ drowning out the race call announcer.

For a lot of people the horses are just an afterthought at Del Mar. Many go there to bee seen and to party. Especially opening day.

castaway01
05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
It's been flying at Del Mar for years. And flying well for them.

All due respect to Friday nights at Hollywood it's not in the same universe as a Friday night at Del Mar. Or for that matter a regular day at Del Mar.

You're on the money with this one Andy. It sounds like good marketing to me. Del Mar is one of the few successes in racing, and hopefully will continue to be.

rrbauer
05-26-2010, 04:21 PM

You mean that you haven't had enough? How many years of continuing declines do you want to see from making the "game" the attraction? Reality has established that most people aren't captivated by watching the hosses running around an elongated circle. And, when the social aspects of the "game" are in play (eg. Derby, BC, opening day at DMR and KEE) crowds are larger with a festive atmosphere. What is your marketing plan for opening day at Del Mar?

Stillriledup
05-26-2010, 06:04 PM
They need to somehow spread the rumor that DMR is an easy place for young men to 'pick up hot chicks'

"If you can't pick up a hot chick at DMR, you're a total loser" should be the motto.

Guys go to places where they think they have a shot at meeting girls.

46zilzal
05-26-2010, 06:13 PM
You mean that you haven't had enough? How many years of continuing declines do you want to see from making the "game" the attraction? Reality has established that most people aren't captivated by watching the hosses running around an elongated circle. And, when the social aspects of the "game" are in play (eg. Derby, BC, opening day at DMR and KEE) crowds are larger with a festive atmosphere. What is your marketing plan for opening day at Del Mar?
I give a rats ass what they do. I am more concerned about racing than looking a puffed up supposed "beautiful people..," who are really plain in comparison to a beautiful horse

JustRalph
05-26-2010, 06:29 PM

you can already see that

http://www.jockeychantalsutherland.com/

David-LV
05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
You're on the money with this one Andy. It sounds like good marketing to me. Del Mar is one of the few successes in racing, and hopefully will continue to be.

Success, what success, racing on that poly junk you call success.

DMR is another example of failed California racing.

_______
David-LV

therussmeister
05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
I would hope Del Mar's female fan base is 100% female. :eek:

BluegrassProf
05-26-2010, 09:46 PM
you can already see that

http://www.jockeychantalsutherland.com/That is, bar-none, the single most ridiculous website I've ever seen.

Ree.Dikulus.

DJofSD
05-27-2010, 01:32 AM
zz-bottom: Del Mar has had a concert series on Friday nights for a goodly number of years. This year they've kicked it up a notch with the final concert being a little band from Texas that a few people have heard of. You want a younger crowd at the races? Well, I think having popular bands especially those will local followings is a great way to do it. By the way, Guy Lombardo is dead.

Del Mar always has been a social event. But now with the decline of racing, the social aspect has a bit more prominence.

So, even though I dislike the trend in racing and loath the plastic dirt almost as much a Andy, I still will be there opening day. It's fun, it's a tradition and it's the only Californian track I care to visit. Besides, the women put on quite a show!

Summer time and the livin' is easy. Handicapping Del Mar, not so much.

castaway01
05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Success, what success, racing on that poly junk you call success.

DMR is another example of failed California racing.

_______
David-LV

Check out the attendance and handle sometime...then compare it to the rest of the country.

I'm leaving polytrack out of this thread...we were discussing the marketing campaign.

carlonr
05-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Any one who thinks that these kids don't bet has obviously not been to Del Mar. And every year after the meet ends, the OTB next to the track gains a few more of the younger crowd. The marketing does not stop with what attracts people to the track. People join the rewards program. They start getting the mailers with the betting vouchers and the emails with the upcoming promotions and giveaways. They start to get educated. They start coming out to the major stakes races etc. It all starts with just getting them there in the first place!

andymays
05-28-2010, 06:53 AM
Any one who thinks that these kids don't bet has obviously not been to Del Mar. And every year after the meet ends, the OTB next to the track gains a few more of the younger crowd. The marketing does not stop with what attracts people to the track. People join the rewards program. They start getting the mailers with the betting vouchers and the emails with the upcoming promotions and giveaways. They start to get educated. They start coming out to the major stakes races etc. It all starts with just getting them there in the first place!

Carl, I don't know if I'd go that far about the Satellite and the rewards program but the live meet definitely attracts a younger crowd. Especially for the concerts after the races.

andymays
07-20-2010, 01:40 PM
http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/del-mar/article_a55a22b0-bffb-562f-8dda-f2bfba82c581.html

Excerpt:

Another demographic the track actively markets is young people ---- particularly young women, he said.

"The cornerstone of our market targeting is young adults, and especially females," Dado said. "We get more young people, and especially young women, than any other racing venue. That's because we present ourselves as a great place for young people to come out and spend an afternoon and enjoy themselves. We see groups of women arrive together all the time, and that's not something you see elsewhere."

Part of the appeal for the younger set is the track's crowd-drawing Four O'clock Fridays, a series of concerts on the new Seaside stage after the last race every Friday.

It's free with track admission, although anyone who wants to see the concert only may attend for a fee.

DJofSD
07-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I like the concerts because it keeps the drunks off the road until I leave. And, since there's not as many people leaving the track at the same time, getting out of the parking lot is much easier.

Stillriledup
07-20-2010, 05:03 PM
I believe Chantal is in the new HBO series. That's probably part of the reason she's coming out.

They're making the most out of what they have to work with.

I like any article about Del Mar that doesn't mention Polytrack or Rick Arthur. ;)

Chantal's 'coming out'? Who knew! :ThmbUp:

nijinski
07-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Wish they could get Sting to sing "Every Step You Take" with Zenyatta warming up with her dance.

carlonr
07-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Am I correct is assuming that Del Mar is not one of the three?-

5k-claim
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
So is this the thread going to have some photographic evidence after tomorrow?

I am just asking on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an account, and wanted to know.

garyscpa
07-20-2010, 08:44 PM
So is this the thread going to have some photographic evidence after tomorrow?

I am just asking on behalf of a friend who doesn't have an account, and wanted to know.

Hey, I have a friend like that, too. :D

comet52
07-21-2010, 03:45 AM
Sexy? You mean this kinda sexy?

http://lgo.mit.edu/blog/drewhill/files/fat-bastard.jpg

5k-claim
07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Sexy? You mean this kinda sexy?

I think my friend was thinking more along the lines of pictures from the beer drinking, non-betting, socializing crowd. Not from the hardcore handicapper's section.

A little over 20 years ago when I did handicap and wager every day there was a gentleman who looked pretty much like this who I would see at the simulcast all the time. He was a super nice guy to talk to and a good handicapper.

andymays
07-21-2010, 02:18 PM
From www.equidaily.com

From the LIFE Magazine archives - Del Mar history:

>>> Photo: Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz and George Raft enjoy a day at Del Mar, 1959
>>> Burt Bachrach wishing luck to Bill Shoemaker prior to a race, 1970 [pg 68]
>>> Profile of Bing Crosy including his involvement with Del Mar, 1938 [pg 54]

http://images.google.com/hosted/life/l?imgurl=49197783755a671b&q=desi%20arnaz%20source:life&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddesi%2Barnaz%2Bsource:life%26start%3D 180%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26ndsp%3D18%26tbs%3Disch:1

http://books.google.com/books?id=2lMEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA68-IA4&dq=del+mar&as_pt=MAGAZINES&cd=7#v=onepage&q&f=false

http://books.google.com/books?id=EUkEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA54&dq=del+mar&as_pt=MAGAZINES&cd=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

BIG RED
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
you can already see that

http://www.jockeychantalsutherland.com/

Lady Godiva ?

Hope Del Mar keeps on keep'n on :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
07-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Am I correct is assuming that Del Mar is not one of the three?-
correct

Bullet Plane
07-21-2010, 03:04 PM
The "young" crowd?

Get real! The horseracing crowd is not young. By ignoring the core audience (middle aged American) they are taking the game down the tubes. The middle aged generation has plenty of bang and bucks. Lets get them back to the track by thinking of THEM for 5 seconds.

They will bring the young people with them. That's how I came to the track- parents brought me. We've seen polls here - an overwhelming majority have been taken to the races by parents for the first time.

What are the mindless promoters doing to get the middle aged to the track? That is really all that matters to save the game. They are fiddling while "Rome" is burning. Getting a bunch of young drunks to yell and tear things down and not bet a dime will sink this game.

Young people don't have the money to bet horses. I was just barely making it when I was young. I was watching football and baseball on TV because it was free. I needed cheap entertainment.

It's not all about the young. I don't have anything against them. My kids are young, and they have a hell of alot more money than I did when I was young. But, lets get real!

andymays
07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/22/singing-trainer-told-keep-his-day-job/

Excerpt:

If yesterday’s attendance was any indication, the marketing strategy is paying off. Along with the rich and the well-heeled, and those toting beach chairs and coolers, were many of the young and beautiful looking for action both on the track and off.

Hollywood heyday: There was still a hint of the Hollywood glamour of yesteryear. Actress Bo Derek, a bona fide horse lover and member of the California Horse Racing Board, was a star attraction in the director’s box. She was there sans boyfriend John Corbett, who recently told Regis Philbin they will get married — some day.

Actress Constance Towers, married to actor John Gavin, former U.S. ambassador to Mexico, was also in the crowd. MTV “Yo Momma” host Wilmer Valderrama was expected to attend but was a no show.
While there wasn’t a big Hollywood presence Wednesday, there will be Saturday when S. D. native Mario Lopez brings his “Extra” TV crew there to film.

Where are the goal posts? NFL quarterbacks were in the crowd, including Oakland Raiders quarterback Kyle Boller with his beauty queen bride, Carrie Prejean.

The couple, who married last month, met at the Turf Club last July. Prejean sang the track theme song on Opening Day last year, while pop vocalist Taylor Dayne had the honors Wednesday.

Other quarterbacks who gathered in a private suite included free agent Jeff Garcia; Green Bay Packers’ Aaron Rodgers; and St. Louis Rams’ A.J. Feeley. Former Dallas Cowboys Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman was also on hand. Race officials joked about keeping linebacker Shawne Merriman away from their room. “He might sack them,” said marketing V.P. Craig Dado.
Rounding out the sports roster was Olympic alpine ski gold medalist Bode Miller.

David-LV
07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Now that opening day is over, reality sets in.

Day 2 racing at DMR:

1- Trouble with Poly-Crap surface.
2- 53 horses racing today after scratches.

_________
David-LV

Valuist
07-22-2010, 08:36 PM

. ;)

Chantal coming out? Hmmmm that does sound very interesting. Would make a very interesting storyline for "Jockeys".

andymays
07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Chantal coming out? Hmmmm that does sound very interesting. Would make a very interesting storyline for "Jockeys".

Jockey was cancelled I believe.

I'm sure Del Mar will promote Chantal when she comes out. I can't stand the surface and a couple of other things but they know how to throw a party and market their meet. Chantal will be all over the media for a few days.

andymays
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
DEL MAR: 15 DUI arrests on first day of racing season

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/del-mar/2bf2e594-9690-11df-ac4d-001cc4c03286.html

Excerpt:

On the first day of the racing season at the Del Mar Thorougbred Club, police arrested 15 suspected drunken drivers nearby, as part of a saturation patrol for impaired motorists, a sheriff's news release said this week.

The arrests took place from 4 p.m. Wednesday to midnight Thursday in Del Mar, Solana Beach and Encinitas.

In all, there were 319 traffic stops and 79 field sobriety tests given . Along with the arrests for suspected DUI, there was one drug arrest and two public intoxication arrests, the release said.

rwwupl
07-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Entertainment rules the night at Del Mar... I think the Horsemen and the Horse players went home...weeee. Who pays for the extra police?

andymays
07-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Entertainment rules the night at Del Mar... I think the Horsemen and the Horse players went home...weeee. Who pays for the extra police?

If they gave everyone there a sobriety test when they left they would have had at least 10,000 DUI's. Talk about having a bad day. Lose your ass on opening day, have several drinks, get a DUI, get a divorce, then jump. ;)

Cat Thief
07-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Sting and Zenyatta ... that would be perfect. That horse she knows when she is the centre of attention and knows how to put on a show. That would be a definite crowd drawer