PDA

View Full Version : Obama to diss the Veterans on Memorial Day

Donnie
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM
From the Washington Post.....

Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago
By Anne E. Kornblut
With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

In 16 months at the White House, the Obamas have been back home just once - in February of 2009. But they plan to make the trip over Memorial Day weekend, an official said. After arriving on Thursday night, they will visit with friends and participate in private events.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as holding a breakfast for Gold Star families -- families whose loved ones died in military service -- at the White House earlier that day.

I can only say how disgusted I am. I am PROUD to say I didn't vote for him!

PhantomOnTour
05-25-2010, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't say that his failing to return to sweet home Chicago every 6wks would qualify as a 'great broken promise of his administration', would you? He has some bigger hits than that.

Failing to appear at Arlington on Memorial Day, however, is a great error. Bad time to go to Chicago. Maybe he's going to Arlington Park instead :)

PaceAdvantage
05-25-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm sure he'll magically show up if the outcry is loud enough...

mostpost
05-25-2010, 11:20 PM
From the Washington Post.....

Obama will use Memorial weekend for a trip home to Chicago
By Anne E. Kornblut
With the long Memorial Day weekend on the horizon, President Obama is finally addressing one of the great broken promises of his administration: his early pledge to return home to Chicago every six weeks or so.

In 16 months at the White House, the Obamas have been back home just once - in February of 2009. But they plan to make the trip over Memorial Day weekend, an official said. After arriving on Thursday night, they will visit with friends and participate in private events.

On Monday, Obama will make remarks at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery, south of Chicago - missing the usual tradition of presidents speaking at Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial Day.

Vice President Biden and his wife will appear in Obama's place, laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as holding a breakfast for Gold Star families -- families whose loved ones died in military service -- at the White House earlier that day.

I can only say how disgusted I am. I am PROUD to say I didn't vote for him!
So, help me understand. You're disgusted because Vice President and Mrs. Biden are holding a breakfast for Gold Star families? I really think those families deserve the recognition, but....

Were you equally disgusted in 1992 when George HW Bush skipped the ceremony, or were you sorry you voted for Ronald Reagan when he skipped the Arlington Cemetary ceremony in 1983. And Reagan did not even send the vice president as his emmisary. He sent the assistant secretary of Defense.
There are almost certainly other instances in which the President did not attend, but somehow it only matters because it is Obama.

Did you notice this part of the story?
Please explain why you feel veterans buried at Abraham Lincon National Cemetary are less important than veterans buried at Arlington National Cemetary. As a resident of the Chicago area (and a veteran) I am insulted by that attitude.

bigmack
05-25-2010, 11:29 PM
I am insulted by that attitude.
:lol: :lol: Stop. You're killing me.

Somebody cough-up an attendance record for every Presidente' visiting Arlington on MemDay. 'Til then, we know little.

Donnie
05-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I believe that all (yes, all) Presidents of the United States are "bound" to speak on behalf of our Veterans and in my mind The Arlington National Cemetary has become the symbol of Memorial Day (in my and many other American's minds). It has always brought a tear to my eye, the laying of the wreath.

I take offense that ANY U.S. President has NOT, on this day, shown the reverance and respect due those of you who have served this country, and those who have lost their lives defending this country and what it stands for. I take it as a sign of disrespect, no matter the President.

I am sorry you are insulted by my attitude. Although I personally had not served, my father and nearly all of my cousins have. Anyone who has served has my deepest respect and I thank them for their service.

Robert Goren
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
I am waiting for Donnie response to Reagan and Bush 41 dishing veterans. I know a veteran of WWII who is still smarting from Bush 41 stiffing him and about other 10,000 veterans at reunion he promise to address. I don't understand why veterans buried at Arlington are better than veterans buried in Chicago. Only someone filled hate would think one veteran's grave is more important than another's.

Robert Goren
05-25-2010, 11:59 PM
I believe that all (yes, all) Presidents of the United States are "bound" to speak on behalf of our Veterans and in my mind The Arlington National Cemetary has become the symbol of Memorial Day (in my and many other American's minds). It has always brought a tear to my eye, the laying of the wreath.

I take offense that ANY U.S. President has NOT, on this day, shown the reverance and respect due those of you who have served this country, and those who have lost their lives defending this country and what it stands for. I take it as a sign of disrespect, no matter the President.

I am sorry you are insulted by my attitude. Although I personally had not served, my father and nearly all of my cousins have. Anyone who has served has my deepest respect and I thank them for their service. I think it about time the president starting rotating Veteran's cemetarys on Memorial Day. I think that bring honor to all veterans no matter where they are laid to rest.

mostpost
05-26-2010, 12:02 AM
I am waiting for Donnie response to Reagan and Bush 41 dishing veterans. I know a veteran of WWII who is still smarting from Bush 41 stiffing him and about other 10,000 veterans at reunion he promise to address. I don't understand why veterans buried at Arlington are better than veterans buried in Chicago. Only someone filled hate would think one veteran's grave is more important than another's.
You know, and I know it isn't about missing the ceremony. It's about having something to blame Obama for. We also know it's not important what they blame him for as long as they blame him.

Of course Obama gets no credit for speakng at the National Cemetery near Chicago. Were Bush president now these folks would be perfectly fine with him speaking at Abe Lincoln cemetery. They would probably be praising him for being more inclusive.

mostpost
05-26-2010, 12:04 AM
I think it about time the president starting rotating Veteran's cemetarys on Memorial Day. I think that bring honor to all veterans no matter where they are laid to rest.
Good Idea! Maybe Arlington on even years and rotating other National Cemeteries on odd years.

Greyfox
05-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Were you equally disgusted in 1992 when George HW Bush skipped the ceremony, or were you sorry you voted for Ronald Reagan when he skipped the Arlington Cemetary ceremony in 1983. .

Good question. Probably not. Disgusted at the time, I mean.
However, were body bags coming home then?

newtothegame
05-26-2010, 05:25 AM

Yeah...and I am sure at some point in HISTORY, I would of been upset that Lincoln urinated in the woods as a child. Crimes against nature!!! Problem is, this is NOT lincolns time...nor Bush...nor ANYONE else except OBAMA. He is the CURRENT sitting POTUS. Deal with it!!!

Tom
05-26-2010, 07:38 AM
He honors them with his absence.

delayjf
05-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Like Greyfox pointed out, we are currently at War and while all veterans cemeteries are scared ground, Arlington is the national symbol of the sacrifice they made.

Perhaps someone who high fives with the likes of Bill Ayers needs to be doing it better than a President who served his country in WWII.

jballscalls
05-26-2010, 10:11 AM
You know, and I know it isn't about missing the ceremony. It's about having something to blame Obama for. We also know it's not important what they blame him for as long as they blame him.

Of course Obama gets no credit for speakng at the National Cemetery near Chicago. Were Bush president now these folks would be perfectly fine with him speaking at Abe Lincoln cemetery. They would probably be praising him for being more inclusive.

Gotta agree with you here. i'm almost shocked these guys are complaining about this, just cause they complain about EVERY thing else the guy does. i mean at some point you'd think they'd be exhausted by it. It must be the Tea in their veins that keeps their energy levels up.

Of course they would be fine with this if Bush was speaking at the Abe lincoln cemetary, however ironically you'd probably be upset about it if it was Bush!

i mean i can't wait til 2012 to get obama out of office either, but i think they are just knitpicking on this one.

Donnie
05-26-2010, 10:15 AM
Personally, I do not have a party affliation. I vote on the issues, not the Party. BOTH sides of the aisle need to be cleaned. There should be no such thing as a career politician. Limited contributions with a spending cap should be installed to keep people from "buying" an election.

I am very disappointed in not only our Leader, but the entire Congress and Senate for that matter. I did not vote for Obama, but he got a fair shake from me. His actions speak louder than his empty words. We are spending our way into oblivian. We have people who refuse to talk to one another about the REAL issues. We have more division in this country than I have ever seen in my entire life, and BOTH sides are to blame.

I cringe everytime I hear the word reform, because it has become a catch phrase for overhaul. Things need to be fixed, not overhauled.

It is good to see these people on the Capital suddenly realizing that come Novemeber they will be unemployed. BOTH SIDES. And the first thing that needs to be fixed is their severance packages! They should be left high and dry like many American workers who for many years are retroactively stripped of their retirement plans.

Enough is enough. Let's get some people who will give the American people substance instead of lip service.

RaceBookJoe
05-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Personally, I do not have a party affliation. I vote on the issues, not the Party. BOTH sides of the aisle need to be cleaned. There should be no such thing as a career politician. Limited contributions with a spending cap should be installed to keep people from "buying" an election.

I am very disappointed in not only our Leader, but the entire Congress and Senate for that matter. I did not vote for Obama, but he got a fair shake from me. His actions speak louder than his empty words. We are spending our way into oblivian. We have people who refuse to talk to one another about the REAL issues. We have more division in this country than I have ever seen in my entire life, and BOTH sides are to blame.

I cringe everytime I hear the word reform, because it has become a catch phrase for overhaul. Things need to be fixed, not overhauled.

It is good to see these people on the Capital suddenly realizing that come Novemeber they will be unemployed. BOTH SIDES. And the first thing that needs to be fixed is their severance packages! They should be left high and dry like many American workers who for many years are retroactively stripped of their retirement plans.

Enough is enough. Let's get some people who will give the American people substance instead of lip service.

Great post....and i think there are a lot of Americans who feel the same. rbj

bigmack
05-26-2010, 11:07 AM
It must be the Tea in their veins that keeps their energy levels up.
What does this mean?

jballscalls
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
What does this mean?

our pal Tom had made a comment about 'those with tea in their veins' being real americans or not standing for this POS or something to that effect.

I was just using his term/phrase. i've grown to enjoy Ovomit as well, that one has grown on me.

ddog
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Great post....and i think there are a lot of Americans who feel the same. rbj

The truth is that you can vote them all in and out every election cycle.

They are not the cause of the divisions, the divisions are what gives you a CONgress and admin that really can't do much and understands less.

Events , complexity of world wide systems move faster and at their own behest.

The days of even thinking WE control them are long since past.

The absence of obama at Arlington doesn't mean a thing to me, he is just a mouthpiece for one world fascists, who needs him? Not me.

Tom
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
...i've grown to enjoy Ovomit as well,

We aim to please!

kenwoodall2
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Everyone disses Vets for their own agenda; just ask "Old Friends" and their honoring dead racehorses on Foreign-War-Dead-Veterans-Memorial Day.

ElKabong
05-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Gotta agree with you here. i'm almost shocked these guys are complaining about this, just cause they complain about EVERY thing else the guy does. i mean at some point you'd think they'd be exhausted by it. It must be the Tea in their veins that keeps their energy levels up.

A straighforward question for you, based upon that reply. Did you serve in the armed forces?

Robert Goren
05-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Everyone disses Vets for their own agenda; just ask "Old Friends" and their honoring dead racehorses on Foreign-War-Dead-Veterans-Memorial Day. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, was started to honor Union soldiers killed during the Civil War. It has been enlarged to include all deceased veterans. Many people including me also use the date to remember dear relatives who are no longer with us. My bother and I put a wreath on my mother's grave this morning. I do not consider this dissing Vets. If you do, I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you find many people who agree with you.

jballscalls
05-27-2010, 12:10 AM
A straighforward question for you, based upon that reply. Did you serve in the armed forces?

no, i'm way to much of a chicken

bigmack
05-27-2010, 12:15 AM
My bother and I put a wreath on my mother's grave this morning. I do not consider this dissing Vets. If you do, I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but I don't think you find many people who agree with you.
Touching story but check your calender. I think MemDay is Monday.

ElKabong
05-27-2010, 12:19 AM
no, i'm way to much of a chicken

Thanks for the reply, was just curious.

I wasn't poking for a particular angle, it';s just that most folks I served with had/ have a greater appreciation for Memorial Day after we served, than we did before enlisting. I had a feeling from your reply that you hadn't served.

In my case, i served with Vietnam war Vets & didn't enter until after the war ended.... Hearing them out you get a better understanding for the Holiday.

At least that's my opinion and experience. Also, a lot of people that never served have a better grasp of the meaning of the holiday than many who'd served, including me. I don't do anything special most years for Memorial day. I should, but usually don't.

But, 0bama not observing this holiday is troubling to people like me. We do live in a time of TWO wars, and this really shouldn't be lost on him. But it is. In his position of leadership he ought to know better. But he doesn't.

NJ Stinks
05-27-2010, 12:43 AM
But, 0bama not observing this holiday is troubling to people like me. We do live in a time of TWO wars, and this really shouldn't be lost on him. But it is. In his position of leadership he ought to know better. But he doesn't.

Obama is observing the day. Only at a Chicago national cemetery.

If I didn't come here often, I'd be pulling my hair out. :bang:

Robert Goren
05-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Touching story but check your calender. I think MemDay is Monday. He is going to visiting some of his wife's side graves over the weekend out of town. We wanted to this together.

bigmack
05-27-2010, 12:55 AM
Obama is observing the day. Only at a Chicago national cemetery.

If I didn't come here often, I'd be pulling my hair out.
I can't see how anyone would draw the conclusion that they decided to get back to The Windy City, WLS, WXRT, et al. for a little r&r & catch-up....

O, and throwing MemDay a bone by sticking his nose in a local cemetery. Isn't the reason this is a possible issue is that not going to Arlington by a Pres on MemDay is not commonplace?

He is going to visiting some of his wife's side graves over the weekend out of town. We wanted to this together.
Sounds fair. Just a bit off top for how a Pres handles the day. Know what I mean?

NJ Stinks
05-27-2010, 01:07 AM
I can't see how anyone would draw the conclusion that they decided to get back to The Windy City, WLS, WXRT, et al. for a little r&r & catch-up....

O, and throwing MemDay a bone by sticking his nose in a local cemetery. Isn't the reason this is a possible issue is that not going to Arlington by a Pres on MemDay is not commonplace?

What issue? There's only an issue if you are looking for an issue.

bigmack
05-27-2010, 01:20 AM
What issue? There's only an issue if you are looking for an issue.
If something happened with regularity 99% of the time would the other 1% be of note?

EyeE:

Family goes to their summer cabin every MemDay forever. This year the old man says, "We're going to Aunt Bees house". Family asks 'why?' and the old man says "There's only an issue if you're looking for an issue".

Family looks at old man like he's gone berserk. Turns out they have a point.

ddog
05-27-2010, 02:56 PM
When it's all about the symbols cause that's all you have then I guess I was wrong on this.

He should go , as fake as the whole deal is , to the people that think symbolism from a fraud still matters, why disappoint them?

bama, go you can fly to chi after or before, you have your own air force?

Maybe strap on a pressure suit and swoop in on a b1 or something. mission accomplished and all that rot.

ddog
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
If something happened with regularity 99% of the time would the other 1% be of note?

EyeE:

Family goes to their summer cabin every MemDay forever. This year the old man says, "We're going to Aunt Bees house". Family asks 'why?' and the old man says "There's only an issue if you're looking for an issue".

Family looks at old man like he's gone berserk. Turns out they have a point.

they are not looking for an issue, they are looking for their cabin and a few spare bucks for gas.
:D

why exactly does the prez get a vacation in a depression anyway?
:eek:

Steve 'StatMan'
05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm hearing quite a lot of helicopters here in Chicago on the north side near the lake. A few yesterday, but much moreso today. Hopefully the security is well set up for Obama here. I may not care for him as a President, but as President, I want him safe & secure. Yeah, that does make traffic suck worse than usual, that's why I'd rather have a less-busy traffic day to bog down.

Tom
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Hope he doesn't drop tar balls in your lake.