PDA

View Full Version : Arapahoe Park Update (Good Stuff!)

craigbraddick
05-25-2010, 10:47 PM
This Saturday we start the 2010 Meet at Arapahoe Park in Aurora, CO. I posted a few weeks ago about this but thought I would update with some more information.

We race for thirty-nine days, Saturday, Sunday and Monday the first weekend and then every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through August 22nd. This is an increase of three days over 2009. Post time will be 1pm Mountain Time.

We will race a mix of Thoroughbreds and Quarter Horses and generally have one Arabian Race per day and from time to time, we will be racing the Appaloosa's and Paints.

Generally, we will stage nine races per day and will occasionally card ten races, the last race on those days being a match race between two Quarter Horses.

I previously stated purse money will be increasing by around $800k compared to 2009, I can now say purse monies will be at $3m for our 39 day meet, this is a 50% increase from 2009.

Through my friend on the forum, Cbedo, I have asked representatives of HANA to open a dialog with me about improving what we can offer the horseplayer. As the Track Announcer, I cannot lower takeout rates on my own. But, and I hope those who know me will agree with this, I have adopted the role of trying to represent the horseplayer to track management.

The Arapahoe Park User Group have just had its second meeting. Some of the ideas given by our customers I have already implimented for our upcoming season include: Season Tickets for $40 (versus $78 if you paid for just Saturday and Sunday) a Military Appreciation Day in late June (we have two airbases close by and one of the User Group is in the services,) access to jockeys by kids for autographs, coloring competitions and I have appointed race fans to report back to me issues with customer service so they can be addressed as soon as possible.

Media Improvements:

Races should be on Youtube by the evening of the raceday.

Thursday at 4pm MST we have a radio show at www.castlerockradio.com. A one hour show discussing horse racing. There will be phone in's previews and reviews and guests. Our first two guests this Thirsday will be Richard Maturi who has written a book on Earl Sande and our own Edie Dickenson.

Our handicapping show will take place at 11.45am MST. I will give away an Arapahoe Park piece of clothing for someone who can come up with a fancy name for this. Just put your idea in the thread!

Our nightly highlights show will run at 10pm MST on Altitude TV.

Also, I have an invite to anyone considering racecalling as a career. We now have a spare booth at the track and if they arrange it with me, I would be happy for them to use the spare booth to practice. If you already have a demo reel and are looking for a chance to call your first race, please contact me and we will see what can be arranged.

Finally, I know ARP is a small track and probably off many of your radar's but if you are willing to give us a go, please drop me an email at britishracecaller@gmail.com or call me at 303-690-2400 x1371 if you have any questions or need some information regarding the horses and the jockeys and I will be happy to try and supply the information you need to help with your handicapping. Similarly, if you (and your family, if they want) wish to visit the track, please call or email me and I will make sure we take care of you and if time allows give you all a peek behind the scenes as well.

Thanks for reading.

Craig W. Braddick (TV Host and Track Announcer at ARP)

SmartyParty
05-25-2010, 11:26 PM
Craig, I have read Maturi's book! How cool is that?!

NJ Stinks
05-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Craig, I just checked and my New Jersey Account Wagering Calendar does not have Arapahoe on the simulcast schedule again this year. Don't know if you can do anything about it but I just want to add that here in NJ, we are restricted to using NJ's ADW by state law whenever we are wagering inside the state. (I'd definitely give Arapahoe some action just because of your post here if Arapahoe was available.)

Here's the link to my state-run ADW just in case you want it:

https://4njbets.com/

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Craig, I just checked and my New Jersey Account Wagering Calendar does not have Arapahoe on the simulcast schedule again this year. Don't know if you can do anything about it but I just want to add that here in NJ, we are restricted to using NJ's ADW by state law whenever we are wagering inside the state. (I'd definitely give Arapahoe some action just because of your post here if Arapahoe was available.)

NJStinks:

THanks for the email. I will go over the contracts we have tomorrow and see what is gonig on with NJ with the Plant Manager who is in charge of these things. If possible, I will speak tothe NJ people and see what can be done. I will let you know, either way.

Thanks

Craig

NJ Stinks
05-26-2010, 12:36 AM
OK, Craig.

Thanks.

johnhannibalsmith
05-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Good work Craig - it sounds like you guys are looking in the right places.

Say hello to O. A. and the lovely miss Sharlot.

point given
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
The Arapahoe Rap

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I think the lovely Miss Charlotte is now at LAD!

Craig

open_question
05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the overview of the upcoming Arapahoe meet. Sounds like a good mix of racing, and the radio show and YouTube replays should be nice spotlights for the product.

Congratulations on the purse money increase as well, and much success with lowering the takeout.

In the past, I have avoided handicapping Arapahoe, but your enthusiasm for the racing there makes me want to do so this year.

GameTheory
05-26-2010, 07:13 PM
I believe we Colorado residents are also blocked from betting Arapahoe on-line. Guess what -- I'm not driving out there every day! Stupid!

Charli125
05-26-2010, 07:35 PM
I believe we Colorado residents are also blocked from betting Arapahoe on-line. Guess what -- I'm not driving out there every day! Stupid!

That is a shame.

We have someone who works at the track that is making a HUGE effort to better the experience for players. He obviously cares, and I'm sure has put a lot of time and energy into the improvements that have occured between now and last year.

Despite all of his efforts, the home state residents can't even play without attending the track. I'm sure it's from the misguided belief that if players can only play at the track, then they'll all come to the track. Sometimes this industry can be very frustrating.

Craig, can you verify if CO residents actually do not have access to the signal, and if so, any idea why?

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Game Theory: No-one is asking you to drive out here every day, though I am trying to make it worth your while to at least visit us on occasion You may also be interested in what I have to say below regarding signals being blocked.

Charli: CO residents do not have access to the signal at present. This, I believe, is a clause that goes back many agreements and is not one I am a fan of. However, please see below...

Today, I was in the first meeting to discuss the start of ADW Wagering in the State of Colorado. As of August 1, 2010, horseplayers in the state of Colorado will be able to open up an ADW account through Arapahoe Park/MiHi Racing.

We hope to offer similar rebate programs and values that are available to the larger players in the market and although at first we are going after the informed horseplayer, we think over time this will benefit all aspects of Colorado Racing.

We will have a website where you will have access to PP's and Track Feeds in real time. In the early stages of the operation it may be neccesary to wager through a 1-800 line but we will also be introducing online wagering as soon as it is feasible to do so.

I hope this news gives you both some hope and some reason to consider supporting our 2010 Meet and please let me know if I can do anything to assist you both in that regard.

Yours,

Craig.

sandpit
05-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Craig: Thanks for the info. Does Rick Evans still work out there? He was a steward last I heard. We worked together many moons ago at Ellis Park and at Hoosier as well. Very nice guy and fun to work with.

GameTheory
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Game Theory: No-one is asking you to drive out here every day, though I am trying to make it worth your while to at least visit us on occasion.And I probably will. But I spend the least amount of money betting when I'm actually at the track since it is too much of a pain to be able to consult all the things I normally have in front of me. So I bring a simple printout, make a few not very serious small bets, and wander around and take photographs, etc. And I forgo playing other tracks that are being simulcast as well -- it is all much better set-up in my home office. The idea that I'd give up all that just to go bet at Arapahoe on-site is retarded. So if they want my (and others) Colorado money, they should make it easy to give to them. I mean this rule effectively only applies to those sophisticated enough to have an ADW account in the first place -- I'd be surprised if you could find a single individual that it has impelled to go out to the track (or one of the limited number of OTB sites). The idea that it makes them more money could not be more wrong. Who argues for these things exactly? How does that go?

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Craig: Thanks for the info. Does Rick Evans still work out there? He was a steward last I heard. We worked together many moons ago at Ellis Park and at Hoosier as well. Very nice guy and fun to work with.

Hi Sandpit:

It is not a name I know so I assume he does not work here!

Thanks

Craig.

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 08:53 PM
And I probably will. But I spend the least amount of money betting when I'm actually at the track since it is too much of a pain to be able to consult all the things I normally have in front of me. So I bring a simple printout, make a few not very serious small bets, and wander around and take photographs, etc. And I forgo playing other tracks that are being simulcast as well -- it is all much better set-up in my home office. The idea that I'd give up all that just to go bet at Arapahoe on-site is retarded. So if they want my (and others) Colorado money, they should make it easy to give to them. I mean this rule effectively only applies to those sophisticated enough to have an ADW account in the first place -- I'd be surprised if you could find a single individual that it has impelled to go out to the track (or one of the limited number of OTB sites). The idea that it makes them more money could not be more wrong. Who argues for these things exactly? How does that go?

GameTheory:

I am not entirely sure what you are asking me.

I was not around when these rules were made and cannot explain why they were made.

We are on the same side, here. I am attempting to reach out to horseplayers to make their lives easier. And I think if you ask the people who have come out to our User Group, this is not something I am doing to mollify our audience, but to make an actual difference to the experience the horseplayer deserves. I totally understand your point regarding wagering more when you are at home and if there are specific things I can address that will help you when you come out to the track, I will try my utmost to make sure you are a happy customer.

Furthermore, ARP management helped to write the legislature and my boss even testified to the Senate and actually used a variation of the very valid point you made to help convince people to vote for this and get it to the Governers desk.

Ideally, it would have been nice to have offered ADW wagering from the start of our 2010 Meet. However, the political system delayed it and we had to wait for that to resolve itself. It now has.

I have read a lot of your posts on here over the last year or two and always enjoyed reading your viewpoint, so I have a suggestion. One evening when you are free, come and visit my office at the track (I do not mind stating late, it's no problem at all) and lets have a face to face of what you would like to see here at ARP and what we can do to make ADW wagering with us an attractive proposition for you.

If you are interested, please call me at 303-690-2400 x1371 or drop me an email: britishracecaller@gmail.com

Kind Regards,

Craig.

GameTheory
05-26-2010, 09:06 PM
GameTheory:

I am not entirely sure what you are asking me.

I was not around when these rules were made and cannot explain why they were made.I'm not complaining to you or about you, and I'm asking rhetorical questions. Just venting!

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 09:10 PM
Opening Day Picks!!!!

It is nearly time to get racing here at Arapahoe Park!

Below are my picks for Opening Day (Saturday.) Traditionally, the Announcer will give 3-4 picks but I have been honest when I only like (say) 2 horses in a race, I will not pad out the selections with other numbers. So some races, there may only be two picks in a field of 10-12! Feel free to disagree with me, but I would rather be honest with you!

Post Time is 1pm and we have 88 entries in our 9 race card, an average of 9.77 per race, so some competitive action coming your way!

Good Luck, watch out for our radio show on Thursday at 4pm on www.castlerockradio.com, guests the first week include journalists Edie Dickenson and Earl Sande, and we will have a preview of the weeks racing here at ARP!

On race days, watch: "The Arapahoe Rap" at 11.45 MST, the Handicapping Show (email me at britishracecaller@gmail.com if you would like to be a guest handicapper) on our simulcast signal.

And you will be able to check out race highlights on our youtube channel: Arapahoepark2010.

Also, remember to watch "A Day at the Races" on Altitude TV every raceday at 10pm MST!

Good Luck and may all the horses come home safe!

Craig.

R1: 2-6-9
R2: 7-9-4
R3: 2-1-7
R4: 5-1-2
R5: 4-7-11
R6: 10-1
R7: 5-6
R8: 6-5-2-4
R9: 2-12-10

$1 Pick 3. ($6 play)
R7: 5-6
R8: 6
R9: 2-12-10

Zman179
05-26-2010, 09:17 PM
This post has made Equidaily!

By the way, I like your style, Craig. It's nice to see a track trying to make things comfortable for its customers. I originally had no intention of even looking at Arapahoe, but now I'll definitely be betting on it!

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 09:28 PM

NJ:

Just an update. I had to do some digging around to find out who I needed to talk too in NJ about this. I am told in the past they showed no interest in taking our signal and I hope to speak to the decision maker tomorrow to see if I can do anything to make them reconsider.

Craig.

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 09:29 PM
This post has made Equidaily!

By the way, I like your style, Craig. It's nice to see a track trying to make things comfortable for its customers. I originally had no intention of even looking at Arapahoe, but now I'll definitely be betting on it!

Thank you for your kind words, Zman!

Knowing my luck everything will go well ubtil there is a slew of emails saying they cant understand the Announcer because he has a funny accent!!

Take care,

Craig

Charli125
05-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Game Theory: No-one is asking you to drive out here every day, though I am trying to make it worth your while to at least visit us on occasion You may also be interested in what I have to say below regarding signals being blocked.

Charli: CO residents do not have access to the signal at present. This, I believe, is a clause that goes back many agreements and is not one I am a fan of. However, please see below...

Today, I was in the first meeting to discuss the start of ADW Wagering in the State of Colorado. As of August 1, 2010, horseplayers in the state of Colorado will be able to open up an ADW account through Arapahoe Park/MiHi Racing.

We hope to offer similar rebate programs and values that are available to the larger players in the market and although at first we are going after the informed horseplayer, we think over time this will benefit all aspects of Colorado Racing.

We will have a website where you will have access to PP's and Track Feeds in real time. In the early stages of the operation it may be neccesary to wager through a 1-800 line but we will also be introducing online wagering as soon as it is feasible to do so.

I hope this news gives you both some hope and some reason to consider supporting our 2010 Meet and please let me know if I can do anything to assist you both in that regard.

Yours,

Craig.

Thanks for the response Craig, and again, thanks for all of your efforts.

JBmadera
05-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I know you'll have a great season Craig! Wish I still worked in Denver now and then, loved hopping over to the track before I jumped on my flight.

jb

craigbraddick
05-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Please listen to our radio show, feel free to interact on the chat room page and from 4.45 MST there will be a phone in: 1-888-321-7234, all our welcome.

www.castlerockradio.com

Craig

SmartyParty
05-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Please listen to our radio show, feel free to interact on the chat room page and from 4.45 MST there will be a phone in: 1-888-321-7234, all our welcome.

www.castlerockradio.com (http://www.castlerockradio.com)

Craig

Craig, it was good to touch base with you this morning. I've told lots of my friends to tune in!

SmartyParty
05-27-2010, 04:42 PM
No worries, Craig, but the thunderstorm passing through just knocked out our power! Good thing I have a generator. You have no idea how far out in the boonies I live!

craigbraddick
05-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Hi People!

I had Edie Dickenson on my radio show today and we shared stories about the much missed Luke Kruytbosch

Thought some of you would enjoy this:

http://yourlisten.com/channel/search/kruytbosch#top

Craig

JimG
05-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi People!

I had Edie Dickenson on my radio show today and we shared stories about the much missed Luke Kruytbosch

Thought some of you would enjoy this:

http://yourlisten.com/channel/search/kruytbosch#top

Craig

Craig,

Thank you for uploading that. It was very enjoyable. Luke is missed by many. Hope you folks have a terrific meet.

Jim

craigbraddick
05-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Post time for opening day is 1pm. if you are coming out and want to visit the booth give me a call 304-543-3981

Craig

craigbraddick
05-30-2010, 11:35 AM
On Day One we made an opening profit of win bets, of wait for it...20 cents! Did not hit an exotic of note but here are my picks for day 2, (Sunday at Arapahoe Park!)

R1: 6-1-2
R2: 5-3-6-10
R3: 1-5-3
R4: 12-7-6-11
R5: 2-7
R6: 4-11-2-6
R7: 8-1-10
R8: 4-2-7-1
R9: 1-7-2

Good Luck and may all the horses come home safe!

Craig

craigbraddick
05-31-2010, 08:14 PM
WOuld like to thank everyone for their support on opening weekend.

Handle was up 50% for the opening three days over the opening three days in 2009!

Craig

rwwupl
06-04-2010, 11:23 AM

www.castlerockradio.com

Craig

Craig,

Keep up the good work. You are trying to make things better for the fans. :ThmbUp:

http://www.aurorasentinel.com/articles/2010/06/03/living/features/doc4c07d3bfd76bc758317990.txt

Excerpt:

It’s shaping up to be one of the biggest and certainly the longest seasons at the track, with three more racing days this year than last year, an extra million dollars in the bank and a new betting system set to launch in August, according to track announcer Craig Braddick.

SmartyParty
06-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Craig, I loved your interview yesterday with Robert! Way to go!

craigbraddick
06-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Was indeed a good interview and I am very grateful to him. He just has so much to say, I could just ask a question and set him off for an hour, no probs!!!

Craig

craigbraddick
06-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Here are my picks for Saturday June 5th at ARP. 88 horses in 9 races.

That sounds like competitive racing to me!!

Saturday is Belmont day at ARP!!! ICe Box for me will take the money in the Belmont but we have a lot of good races at ARP.

Big fields continue to get us noticed. 88 horses in 9 races tomorrow!!

Here are my picks:

R1: 3-1-4
R2: 12-4-10-8
R3: 4-2
R4: 4-1-3-5
R5: 5-1
R6: 1-8
R7: 4
R8: 6-3
R9: 3-1-5-11

Early Pick 3 Races 4-6.
R4: 4-1-3
R5: 5-1
R6: 1-8
$12 to a $1 base.

Late Pick 3. Races 7-9:
R7: 4
R6: 6
R9: ALL (12)
$12 to a $1 base.

May all the horses come home safe!

Craig

Charli125
06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Holy bridgejumper in the 7th today! Looks to me like someone put at least 23K on the 5 to show. Ouch.

The show pool went from around $700 per race to almost 25K on that race!

craigbraddick
06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Holy bridgejumper in the 7th today! Looks to me like someone put at least 23K on the 5 to show. Ouch.

The show pool went from around $700 per race to almost 25K on that race!

Yep and we have a lot of very happy $2 show wagerers here right now!!!

Craig