PDA

View Full Version : The Official 'Toga Party VIII Thread

OTM Al
05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Now that the TC season is winding down and that little issue with NYS government just got solved, it's high time to start the official Toga Party VIII thread. (Don't you think Roman numerals add class to anything?)

As stated before, the particulars are:

Tables reserved in the Festival Tent Aug 14 - Aug 22 (every day but that Tuesday that is....you can go then if you want, but we won't be there)

$6 per person per day to cover the cost of the tables. If for some reason I actually get back more than I paid, any extra will go to TRF. I always give them a few bucks when I'm up there anyway. Good karma.

You don't have to sign up to sit with us, just show up. If the tent staff doesn't know what you're talking about when you say "Where's the PA Group" (we've had a few slow ones...) just look around for laptops. There's always a few there. BTW, I'll bring a heavy extension cord and power supply thingie again.

Even though you don't have to sign up, it does help if you let me know if you are coming. I will get a goodie bag put together for everyone who I know is coming, so that way I know how many I need to make. Also helps everyone that's been there before to coordinate a bit.

So come and join us. Personally, I'm up there on and off through the whole meet and it always feels a lot lonlier those last 2 weeks after seeing everyone. Its a lot of fun, lots of capping, and a few beers mixed in between.

BillW
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
I've got the 18th thru the 22nd planned (I don't know if I like this class thing though ;) ). :ThmbUp:

OTM Al
05-25-2010, 04:15 PM
I've got the 18th thru the 22nd planned. :ThmbUp:

Glad you're able to come this year! We still owe you one after that paddock fiasco at Belmont.

offtrack
05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Despite protestations to the contrary, I will be there every day.

JustRalph
05-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks like I will be tagging along with Bill........

Rookies
05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
$6 per person per day to cover the cost of the tables. If for some reason I actually get back more than I paid, any extra will go to TRF. I always give them a few bucks when I'm up there anyway. Good karma.
Al: Good of you to shell out to Left Wing causes like (T)he (R)ain
(F)orest!

Even though you don't have to sign up, it does help if you let me know if you are coming. I will get a goodie bag put together for everyone who I know is coming, so that way I know how many I need to make.

I was thinking of Harp... However, I will bring a goodie bag of Canada's finest Lagers for your better 1/2 and you could partake too, Al. And, if there's a preference for the finest Commie Tobacco, a company in TO gets shipments from Havana and little old ladies hand roll in front of you. I could be persuaded.

So come and join us. Personally, I'm up there on and off through the whole meet and it always feels a lot lonlier those last 2 weeks after seeing everyone. Its a lot of fun, lots of capping, and a few beers mixed in between.
Screw-the -drivers are the drink du Jour for the Spa for the Rookies' boys. Absolut + America's finest OJ Simpson provider- Tropicana and a few beers...:lol: If you're there on the first weekend Al, I/we shall drop by.

CurtisontheBay
05-26-2010, 08:08 AM
This is an Official Reply:

Justin and I will be there the 19th thru 21st; leaving Sunday AM.

PS:

Since I stand most of the time can I only pitch in $3 ??

andicap
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Right now it's a bit uncertain but i'm looking at coming up Thursday morning and staying through Sunday racing so i guess that would be the 19th-22nd,

Judging by past history, it will take me four days to get any winners.

CurtisontheBay
05-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Right now it's a bit uncertain but i'm looking at coming up Thursday morning and staying through Sunday racing so i guess that would be the 19th-22nd,

Judging by past history, it will take me four days to get any winners.

Andy,

I will pay for the ink cartridge if you promise to print cj's figs in a font size bigger than a "2".

PS- I do want a receipt !!

Grits
05-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Ink cartridges and/or laser drums are part of one's required expenses at Saratoga. Ones that are no different than meals, lodging or gate admission. Same goes for Belmont, and other tracks. One can do printouts before leaving home, or pack the printer and supplies and take them along. Weekends are doable ahead, before leaving home, extended stays, not so easy. Somehow ink remains the biggest rip off there is in the vast world of computer technology. Wow, do I resent the $80 to $90 for a laser drum. Or the $22 for an ink jet cartridge. Pure theft . . . .:faint: Hate it.

Still, there's no way I could manage to read size 2 font of anything.

Tom
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
I think Wed-Thurs for me. Can't get Friday off. :mad:

badcompany
05-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I already have reservations for thurs thru sunday. So, I'll definitely be there Fri & Sat.

btw,

My real name is Brett.

Introducing myself, last year, as Bad Company, was a little rough on the dignity.

Grits
05-27-2010, 09:35 AM
My real name is Brett.

Introducing myself, last year, as Bad Company, was a little rough on the dignity.

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Too funny!!!:lol:

OTM Al
05-27-2010, 09:53 AM
I already have reservations for thurs thru sunday. So, I'll definitely be there Fri & Sat.

btw,

My real name is Brett.

You had to start somewhere :) Glad you will be joining us again.

Tom, can't you cite a resurgence of the H1N1 virus and how your whole vacation and weekend was ruined by it?

Ralph, it will be good to meet you.

Andy, invest in the iPad. You can put all your files on there, so no printing cost and you can make them as small as you like because the iPad has this really great zoom feature. Probably will pay for itself in ink costs in a few days......

offtrack, Rookies, look forward to seeing you there too.

BombsAway Bob
05-27-2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.saratoga.org/visitors/packages.asp
Fast Track Pack - Racing Package
The Top Hill Motel offers you this Saratoga Race Course Package.
This package includes:

Overnight acccommodations
Clubhouse admission to Saratoga Race Course(seating not included)
Racing Program Guide
Complimentary Continental Breakfast
Package Rates and Details - $99 for one night (1-2 people). Valid on: July 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, August 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, September 1, 5, 6. Prices are subject to change due to special events.

Top Hill Motel
3290 Route 9 (South Broadway)
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-584-5232
www.saratogatophill.com (http://www.saratogatophill.com/)

Saratoga Track Package
It's post time in Saratoga Springs! Enoy a full day of horse racing at one of the oldest and most prestigious tracks in the country, within one mile from the hotel. The Saratoga Race Course opens for only 6 weeks each year, so this is your opportunity to experience the world famous race track and everything Saratoga Springs has to offer!

This package includes:

Overnight acccommodations
Clubhouse admission to Saratoga Race Course (seating not included)
Official Racing Program Guide
Hot and Fresh Cooked to Order Breakfast
Package Rates and Details - Pricing starts at $235 per person. Available 7/23/10 through 9/6/10. Not available for Travers weekend. No racing on Tuesdays.

Hilton Garden Inn - Saratoga Springs
125 South Broadway
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-587-1500
www.saratogasprings.hgi.com (http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/specials_detail_popup.jhtml?ctyhocn=ALBSSGI&promoId=142030046)

andicap
05-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Andy,

I will pay for the ink cartridge if you promise to print cj's figs in a font size bigger than a "2".

PS- I do want a receipt !!

Who's bringing the printer? I will probably not have a car so i won't be able to bring one.

andicap
05-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Andy, invest in the iPad. You can put all your files on there, so no printing cost and you can make them as small as you like because the iPad has this really great zoom feature. Probably will pay for itself in ink costs in a few days....

Problem with the iPad is I can't run HTR -- it's Windows-based. And I'm more of a Google man myself. If I ever get a tablet it will run on Android. Open source is the only way to go.

BillW
05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Who's bringing the printer? I will probably not have a car so i won't be able to bring one.

I'll have one but it will be in my hotel room in Albany (The same one I had in the house)

BombsAway Bob
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
I bought a PIXMA 2600 @Walmart recently for $30, includes 2 ink cartridges.
Refill PG-40 carts are $21, & are good for printing about 8-10 racecards...
Cheap way to have a "group" printer at track.

Track Collector
05-29-2010, 02:04 PM
I'll be there Thursday thru Saturday. Looking forward to meeting some new PA members, as well as re-visiting with some old ones.

JoePrunes -- Thanks for the lodging help!

Dennis -- I'll be staying Thursday and Friday at the same place you and the boys will be at. I'll try to keep the noise down so as to not cause too much commotion. :)

CurtisontheBay
05-29-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll be there Thursday thru Saturday. Looking forward to meeting some new PA members, as well as re-visiting with some old ones.

JoePrunes -- Thanks for the lodging help!

Dennis -- I'll be staying Thursday and Friday at the same place you and the boys will be at. I'll try to keep the noise down so as to not cause too much commotion. :)

Hi Chris, there's a nice bar and restaurant about 1/2 mile up the road from the Island View - close to "home" and reasonably priced. Looking fwd. to seeing you again.

Are you driving up from Md. ??

Track Collector
05-29-2010, 10:23 PM
Are you driving up from Md. ??

Yes, I'm leaving earlier Thursday morning, and I'm probably crazy driving back home Saturday evening after the races.

cj
05-30-2010, 10:14 PM
This is an Official Reply:

Justin and I will be there the 19th thru 21st; leaving Sunday AM.

PS:

Since I stand most of the time can I only pitch in $3 ??

Ditto for me, maybe a few days extra on the latter side.

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 03:57 AM
Ditto for me, maybe a few days extra on the latter side.Guess that means I'll be ordering lots of extra food and drink this year... :lol:

cj
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Guess that means I'll be ordering lots of extra food and drink this year... :lol:

Did I mention I'm going to stay at your house as well?

PaceAdvantage
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Did I mention I'm going to stay at your house as well?I'm not quite sure I would refer to it as a full blown house...more like a cottage or a cabin than a house...but it does have its charm...

BillW
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm not quite sure I would refer to it as a full blown house...more like a cottage or a cabin than a house...but it does have its charm...

If there's beer in the fridge, it's a full blown house! :p

cj
05-31-2010, 11:49 PM
Of course I'll return the favor when you come out for the Oklahoma Derby.

CurtisontheBay
06-02-2010, 10:33 AM
I've got the 18th thru the 22nd planned (I don't know if I like this class thing though ;) ). :ThmbUp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXsEO2eKo4

miesque
06-02-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aXsEO2eKo4

:D That is one of my favorite Rodney Dangerfield movie snippets and often immediately springs to mind when the topic comes up.

I hope you guys all have a wonderful time and the weather coorperates. I will be roughing it up in the Million Room at Arlington Park that weekend.

Grits
06-02-2010, 10:48 AM
If there's beer in the fridge, it's a full blown house! :p

I've decided. I'm staying with y'all this year. I'm tired of my too pricey hotel stays. I'll bring your beers from the fridge, I'll clean up the kitchen for Red Knave. I've done enough cooking, so you guys cook.

I don't do windows; I don't do toilets. Forget that @#$%.

I don't care where else horses are running either.

And Miesque, the bathrooms at Belmont this week, as usual, are quite clean!!!! You'd be pleased . . . . maybe.

g

Mike at A+
06-10-2010, 10:07 AM
We'll be there 8/14 through 8/21 funded by my score in the Belmont Stakes.

andicap
06-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Got my reservations for Thursday-Sunday. I crapped around too long so the IslandView was booked but I got a room right next door at the Lake Luzerne Motel. Looked OK, and pictures on the Internet would always accurately represent the site, right? :D

CurtisontheBay
06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Got my reservations for Thursday-Sunday. I crapped around too long so the IslandView was booked but I got a room right next door at the Lake Luzerne Motel. Looked OK, and pictures on the Internet would always accurately represent the site, right? :D

I'm sure it is Andy- all the help at the Island View stay there !!!!!!

Storm Cadet
06-11-2010, 03:56 PM
What no "Animal House" for you guys this year? What do we have do do...recruit Suff back from horsie retirement to get a house again? No Red Knave BBQ with Chevas Regal flowing right after the last race? :eek:

BillW
06-11-2010, 04:01 PM
What no "Animal House" for you guys this year? What do we have do do...recruit Suff back from horsie retirement to get a house again? No Red Knave BBQ with Chevas Regal flowing right after the last race? :eek:

We'll figure something out. Maybe have to do some tailgatin' in the parking lot :cool:

Tom
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Which is 10 feet from the tables! :D

joeprunes
06-14-2010, 08:25 PM
We can bbq at island view ,ping pong, fish, swim,boating, 15 min. to lake george and 20 to the track. Its clean and we could reserve the whole place next year if all want. That is if we could get dennis away from the bar at the water house

CurtisontheBay
06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
We can bbq at island view ,ping pong, fish, swim,boating, 15 min. to lake george and 20 to the track. Its clean and we could reserve the whole place next year if all want. That is if we could get dennis away from the bar at the water house

EASY ----
My son reads these posts and he'll think I imbibe too much !!!

Besides, I promised the owner at the water House that I am bringing her my recipe for Maryland Crab Cakes this year !!

The Md. crab cakes they serve are ....well not what we would serve down here.

BTW- Joe, that is a great idea for next year - take over the whole place and party hearty !!

Bubbles
06-14-2010, 09:38 PM
It's been a while, guys, but ultimately, my dad and I are in "wait and see" mode. Trying to get a job, and if I'm around the area, we'll ultimately probably make some day trips during that week.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do have the pictures from last year that I haven't uploaded yet. One thing's led to another for a while, but they're in my email inbox and I'll send them along.

OTM Al
06-15-2010, 02:45 PM
It's been a while, guys, but ultimately, my dad and I are in "wait and see" mode. Trying to get a job, and if I'm around the area, we'll ultimately probably make some day trips during that week.

And before anyone asks, yes, I do have the pictures from last year that I haven't uploaded yet. One thing's led to another for a while, but they're in my email inbox and I'll send them along.

Hey, was beginning to wonder about you guys. Good luck with the job search and hope we can see the both of you, even if only for a day.

joeprunes
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
-Dennis if your sons don`t know you by now..................I also want the recipe for the crab cakes(please).. Ronnie (storm cadet) hope we are going to see you this year, so whats up????..I could coach st johns basketball team if you want, I work cheap..Really would love to get jim (pickwick) to come up for a day he`s really a great guy to be at the track with and in his home town he showed me the best hamberger sandwich in ny..Dennis you would love this bar..oops sorry bout that....later

badcompany
06-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Hatties has very good crabcakes. Probably not Maryland level, but well above average.

Mike at A+
06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
We weren't too impressed with Hattie's but in all fairness that was close to 10 years ago. One place we have always gone to for drinks and live jazz is One Caroline. And everytime we went we were sorry that we had already eaten dinner because we drooled over the dinner plates that were being served to the people there. This year we will make it a point to have dinner there. They are a little pricey ($25+) but everything looked top shelf and big portions. And the live jazz is great.

And here's a tip for anyone who loves New York pizza. Last year, the wife and I went for a short 3 day mini-vacation because my dad had just passed away the year before in November after his final trip to Saratoga and we brought some of his ashes with us and they were spread on the finish line by a jockey who rides for a trainer who stays at the same motel we do. Can't divulge names because there is probably some stupid law preventing what was done. Anyway, we got off the Northway at exit 13 and drove through town to see if anything had changed since the year before. As we got through town and continued north on Route 9, we planned to stop at Minogue's Beverages for a few six packs. We were going to a steakhouse in Lake George that night so we wanted a light lunch. Now I don't remember the name of the place but it's on Route 9 North just north of Saratoga proper on the right in a strip mall where there is a deli named Kelly's Deli. With all honesty, I can say that the pizza I had there was just as good as anything I ever had growing up in Brooklyn. It was about 1:00 PM when we walked in and the place was empty which gave us second thoughts and there were several pizzas in the display case which made us even more suspect. But boy are we glad we decided to grab a few slices. We have already planned on making it our first meal stop this year. At about 1:00 on Saturday, August 14, we'll be there to down a pie (4 of us this time - kids are joining us).

Soooooooooo, if you like real good pizza, Mike at A+ gives this place 5 stars!

Storm Cadet
06-16-2010, 07:39 PM
-Dennis if your sons don`t know you by now..................I also want the recipe for the crab cakes(please).. Ronnie (storm cadet) hope we are going to see you this year, so whats up????..I could coach st johns basketball team if you want, I work cheap..Really would love to get jim (pickwick) to come up for a day he`s really a great guy to be at the track with and in his home town he showed me the best hamberger sandwich in ny..Dennis you would love this bar..oops sorry bout that....later

Has anybody heard from Pick in awhile? I don't know if I can make Saratoga again this year...the NCAA has me digging up more stuff on the UConn hoops program so we can officially banned them like USC football ;)

joeprunes
06-16-2010, 08:29 PM
Ron, jim is doing ok. He has some allergic reaction from certain foods and has good and bad days. Its hard for him to go on far trips. I`m sure he`s lurking the site. Sorry you cant make it, your good company....

OTM Al
06-17-2010, 04:52 PM
We weren't too impressed with Hattie's but in all fairness that was close to 10 years ago. One place we have always gone to for drinks and live jazz is One Caroline. And everytime we went we were sorry that we had already eaten dinner because we drooled over the dinner plates that were being served to the people there. This year we will make it a point to have dinner there. They are a little pricey ($25+) but everything looked top shelf and big portions. And the live jazz is great.

Soooooooooo, if you like real good pizza, Mike at A+ gives this place 5 stars!

I like One Caroline as well. Not real Cajun, not going to get that outside Louisiana anyway, but a decent facismile.

There's a couple good pizza joints up there. There's another further out 9 toward Corinth in a Stewart's strip mall (I'm too lazy to look it up but pretty sure I talked about it in last year's food thread). Good crust, fresh toppings and not greasy at all. Really like it. Definitely not the same place as it's on the left heading out of town :)

Storm Cadet
06-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Has anyone ever heard from that guy who fleeced some PA members a couple of years ago at SAR who stayed at the house?

Red Knave
06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Has anyone ever heard from that guy who fleeced some PA members a couple of years ago at SAR who stayed at the house?
I think we'd all like to know that.

I mean, he was a pretty good cook.

:D

BillW
06-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I think we'd all like to know that.

I mean, he was a pretty good cook.

:D

And prompt at paying the rent :eek:

CurtisontheBay
06-19-2010, 12:27 AM
And prompt at paying the rent :eek:

He went by Speedking (ED) and he probably paid on time as he had duped someone else into using their credit card.

Cj and my sons met him at Monmouth a year later and he was still scamming; fortunately we (cj) had knowledge to watch out for this guy.

He had a great time at saratoga spending someone else's $$$

BillW
06-19-2010, 12:46 AM
He went by Speedking (ED) and he probably paid on time as he had duped someone else into using their credit card.

No doubt

Cj and my sons met him at Monmouth a year later and he was still scamming; fortunately we (cj) had knowledge to watch out for this guy.

I don't think I heard this story. You guys will have to fill me in. The last he logged in here was 9/20/2007 just prior to the time he was fingered.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/member.php?u=1664

Storm Cadet
06-19-2010, 09:03 AM
As I recall, after we all left SAR, I drove Speedking back to Long Island where he caught a train back to Philly.

About two months later, in the fall, CJ, his dad, Speedking, Arnie (ump) from CJ's board, others all met at Monmouth Park. I think (CJ knows more to this) that CJ, and Speedking and Pick were trying to fine tune or tweak each of their programs using CJ and Picks vast knowledge of speed and pace figs.

We all had a great day, CJ brought some of us up to meet Larry Colmus (sp?) the race announcer which was neat.

After the races, CJ and Speed and I all went to dinner at a nice pub in Monmouth Junction where Speed and CJ continued their handicapping theory talk.

I remember driving Speedking to the train station that night, and never heard from the guy again. A week later is when I heard all about the guy and his charade.

cj
06-19-2010, 10:37 AM
He fleeced a very good guy. I actually didn't know it at the time, but when I met him in person I got a very bad feeling with the direction he was going. We said goodbye and I never heard from him again. I found out later that week what he had done. He was a con man, nothing more.

BillW
06-19-2010, 11:27 AM
He fleeced a very good guy. I actually didn't know it at the time, but when I met him in person I got a very bad feeling with the direction he was going. We said goodbye and I never heard from him again. I found out later that week what he had done. He was a con man, nothing more.

OK, I'm aware of that story ... that must have been just before or on the 9/20/2007 date. IIRC the story broke on 9/20 or a day or so later and he was never seen around here again (that we know of).

cj
06-19-2010, 11:33 AM
OK, I'm aware of that story ... that must have been just before or on the 9/20/2007 date. IIRC the story broke on 9/20 or a day or so later and he was never seen around here again (that we know of).

I went to Monmouth during my trip to Saratoga. It was the last week of the meet at the Spa.

Storm Cadet
06-19-2010, 12:59 PM

and from what I remember, he didn't cash too many tickets. He placed a lot of large wagers and didn't cash too many. Pretty knowledgeable horse guy. Surprised that NOBODY has ever seen him at SAR-BEL-AQU or Monmouth ever again.

joeprunes
06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
I was there at that time and speed cashed many tickets and i cashed some for him. I knew he and and the other guy(no names) were calling on the cell and betting every race i also was talking with the other guy but i wasnt involed in their betting. It was quite a bit of money involed but no charges were made it was an exspensive lesson learned by a very nice guy. Guys like speed ususlly get caught up with there scam and he`ll get his some day.

badcompany
06-24-2010, 12:59 PM
So, the scam was that he borrowed someone's CC , said "I'll pay you Tuesday" and never did?

Track Collector
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I normally do not like to do this, but I've decided to jump on another trip the same weekend as the PA group gathering. Unexpected, and with VERY late notice, horseracing has been approved and will take place at this year's Northwestern Montana Fair in Kalispell, MT on 08/21 and 08/22. Racing was discontinued after 2005, and this year's return does not assure that I will have an opportunity to attend in future years.

Therefore, I have reservations at the Island View (same place CJ's Dad and others will be at) for Thursday 08/19 and Friday 08/20 which can be transferred to another party if someone sends me a p-m within the next 7 days. I recall rates were ~ $85 + tax each night. If no one is interested, I'll turn them back over to the Island View.

CurtisontheBay
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I normally do not like to do this, but I've decided to jump on another trip the same weekend as the PA group gathering. Unexpected, and with VERY late notice, horseracing has been approved and will take place at this year's Northwestern Montana Fair in Kalispell, MT on 08/21 and 08/22. Racing was discontinued after 2005, and this year's return does not assure that I will have an opportunity to attend in future years.

Therefore, I have reservations at the Island View (same place CJ's Dad and others will be at) for Thursday 08/19 and Friday 08/20 which can be transferred to another party if someone sends me a p-m within the next 7 days. I recall rates were ~ $85 + tax each night. If no one is interested, I'll turn them back over to the Island View.

Sorry that you are passing TC, but I understand as I know you are an avid "track collector" - maybe next year.

BTW, if your reservation is grabbed up by any of the "wingnuts" on this board, you're going to have some "splanin" to do.