PDA

View Full Version : tony calo

lamboguy
05-25-2010, 02:11 PM
he can never replace ross morton at fingler lakes, but i do like tony's race calls.

here is a man anouncing finger lakes with enthusiasm, he not on tells you where your horse is at throughout the race, but he makes a nw2l race exciting, like anouncing a 3 way thriller down the lane.

jognlope
05-25-2010, 07:00 PM
I watch FL every day and he adds a lot of color to it and knows details. And there they go....

jballscalls
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Luke K. once told me about his good friend Tony Calo "if people could just go beyond his style, the guy calls a really good and accurate race"

had the pleasure to have lunch with Tony at Turf Paradise a couple years ago and he was really fun to hang with and couldnt have been nicer.

lamboguy
05-25-2010, 07:20 PM
Luke K. once told me about his good friend Tony Calo "if people could just go beyond his style, the guy calls a really good and accurate race"

had the pleasure to have lunch with Tony at Turf Paradise a couple years ago and he was really fun to hang with and couldnt have been nicer.
i love tony, and i dearly loved luke, what a guy he was and boy he cud he drink a beer or 2

johnhannibalsmith
05-26-2010, 01:19 AM
Admittedly, it took me a while to get past all of the cliche phrasing when he was in California ("...killer crossover..."), but I realized there are VERY few that see the race as well as Mr. Calo. I won't ever argue with those that are annoyed by the delivery, but the man is as good, if not better, than anyone at painting the picture.

owlet
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
And there they gooo
With Tony Calooo

craigbraddick
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM
I think Tony is a very good caller.

Craig

open_question
05-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Agree with the support for Tony Calo; he's one of the few callers I don't mute or tune out.

lamboguy
05-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Agree with the support for Tony Calo; he's one of the few callers I don't mute or tune out.
thank you for agreeing with me, i only hope that tony reads this board like other callers and knows how much he is appreciated

Marshall Bennett
05-26-2010, 08:06 PM
His call from the gate is repulsive, other than that he's okay.

dirty moose
05-19-2014, 04:30 PM
One of the better callers in the game, IMO.

v j stauffer
05-19-2014, 04:43 PM
Count me as a Calo fan.

Stillriledup
05-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Completes....the Super FECTA!!!!

Hard to knock this guy, very solid.

comet52
05-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I love the guy, I wish he was at a bigger track somewhere.

JustRalph
05-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Only announcer I can do an impression of..........for the first five seconds of every race

Maximillion
05-19-2014, 08:53 PM
My favorite saying of his is "they better recognize......" :)

He does do a nice job of painting a picture.....you can tell he spent some time handicapping the race.Others I think do this well are Bobby Nueman and Frank Mirahmadi.

FantasticDan
05-19-2014, 09:10 PM
Finger Lakes runs for what, eight months? And with no turf racing, and one bottom claiming race after another, Calo does a terrific job of bringing enthusiasm and professionalism to every call. Finger Lakes is very luck to have him. :ThmbUp:

dirty moose
05-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Finger Lakes runs for what, eight months? And with no turf racing, and one bottom claiming race after another

And that's why it's one of the better tracks to play. IMO You can keep Belmont, the 6 turf and MSW every other race.

BlueShoe
05-22-2014, 01:15 PM
And that's why it's one of the better tracks to play. IMO You can keep Belmont, the 6 turf and MSW every other race.
With California's wacky simulcast schedule we seldom have FL to play, most of my exposure to it has been in the Nevada racebooks. Do like it, with one exception, and have done okay there. Thing not liked is that almost all of their claiming races are conditioned claimers of one kind or another, and not a fan of conditioned claimers, which seem to be getting more and more complicated.

Mr. Calo seems to have found a very comfortable home at Finger Lakes. Eight months of steady work in one place with the winters off sounds like a very nice position for a track announcer. Always liked his work during his time in NorCal, and Tony certainly belongs on any list of not quite so well known underated announcers.

Valuist
05-22-2014, 01:18 PM
Only announcer I can do an impression of..........for the first five seconds of every race

Cmon Ralph. EVERYBODY can do a Battaglia impression.

thaskalos
05-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Tony Calo does a fine job. :ThmbUp:

dilanesp
05-22-2014, 04:44 PM
"And there they go" doesn't bother me. It goes back at least as far as Harry Henson (and is a variation on Joe Hernandez's "there they go") and is one of the standard ways of opening a race call. And Calo does a fine job.

More generally, I think a lot of racing fans care way too much about who is calling the races. Just don't make lots of mistakes and it's fine. The reality is that in racing's heyday, when there were tens of thousands of people on track, nobody heard the stretch calls anyway. And a lot of announcers who worked back then would be considered boring by modern standards. (This point, by the way, applies beyond race calling to other forms of sportscasting. Pat Summerall went for years calling classic big events with an understated, monotone delivery. Didn't matter one bit. It's the competition that makes the memory, not the call.)