PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy the DRF or get the info off of the Internet?

Igeteven
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Do you buy the DRF or get the info off of the Internet?

Me, I have not bought a form in years, I get all the info off of the internet, I am just wondering.

1. People buy it or use the internet for information.

Lester

andymays
05-24-2010, 09:54 PM
Since the DRF formulator started having run up distances and turf rail positions in the PP's I buy them online.

Might be a good poll????

Stillriledup
05-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Both. Depends on the situation.

Deepsix
05-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Looks like a change-up..... Buy the DRF at the local liquor store/OTB, on-track, etc, ; OR download the DRF PPs online.

What is the question?

Igeteven
05-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Looks like a change-up..... Buy the DRF at the local liquor store/OTB, on-track, etc, ; OR download the DRF PPs online.

What is the question?

DO YOU DEEPSIX, BUY IT OR BUY IT ON LINE OR DON'T USE IT AT ALL

THAT'S IS THE QUESTION. Don't tell me, I know, only the shadow knows. :lol:

Deepsix
05-24-2010, 10:11 PM
OK, so you aren't concerned about handicapping software (Formulator) but just the bare-bones PPs. Got it! Nope, don't use it just for PPs,

Igeteven
05-25-2010, 01:05 AM
OK, so you aren't concerned about handicapping software (Formulator) but just the bare-bones PPs. Got it! Nope, don't use it just for PPs,

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Johnny V
05-25-2010, 06:33 AM
I have purchased the DRF PP's only three times since the start of this year. I have been using BRIS online PP's almost exclusively. Until about three years ago I bought the DRF just about every day.

illinoisbred
05-25-2010, 07:29 AM
When I was a kid(early 60's) I used to go with my dad to our local downtown sporting goods/pipe tobacco/newstand shop. The DRF came in on the 8:00 train every evening. Back then our town had a population of approx. 10-12,000 and located about 25 miles NW of Arlington Park. The shop got 40 DRFS every evening and often sold them out by their 9:00 closing time. This shop also provided the unique service of taking bets-as little as .50 win bets- and if you won had an envelope to pick up with your name on it the next evening. I'm guessing here but I think the DRF price was .75.

When I started buying the form on a daily basis(mid 80's), it was thrown in my driveway along with the Chicago Tribune by our local newspaper distributor. He billed me once a month and I think the form was $1.75-$2.00 then.

By the early 90's if I didn't go to the track and purchase the next days form I had to drive 6 miles to a local gas station at 5:00 in the morning and buy one. The station got 4 copies and most days they were lucky if they sold 1 additional copy besides mine. Since I was basically the only daily customer the DRF cut my town off by the mid 90's. Now if I didn't attend the track I had to drive to the closest OTB(15 miles) or to a 7-11 in a town also 15 miles away. The form's price was $3.50-$4.00.

In late 1999 or 2000 I bought my 1st computer and quickly found TSN and their .50 condensed programs. Since then thats all I've used and have never felt the need or desire to purchase a DRF.

Robert Goren
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
At home I use BRIS, on those rare times I go the track I buy the track program for $3.50, I refuse to pay $7.00 DRF. That price is a killer for the better like me.

Horseplayersbet.com
05-25-2010, 08:01 AM
When I was a kid(early 60's) I used to go with my dad to our local downtown sporting goods/pipe tobacco/newstand shop. The DRF came in on the 8:00 train every evening. Back then our town had a population of approx. 10-12,000 and located about 25 miles NW of Arlington Park. The shop got 40 DRFS every evening and often sold them out by their 9:00 closing time. This shop also provided the unique service of taking bets-as little as .50 win bets- and if you won had an envelope to pick up with your name on it the next evening. I'm guessing here but I think the DRF price was .75.

When I started buying the form on a daily basis(mid 80's), it was thrown in my driveway along with the Chicago Tribune by our local newspaper distributor. He billed me once a month and I think the form was $1.75-$2.00 then.

By the early 90's if I didn't go to the track and purchase the next days form I had to drive 6 miles to a local gas station at 5:00 in the morning and buy one. The station got 4 copies and most days they were lucky if they sold 1 additional copy besides mine. Since I was basically the only daily customer the DRF cut my town off by the mid 90's. Now if I didn't attend the track I had to drive to the closest OTB(15 miles) or to a 7-11 in a town also 15 miles away. The form's price was $3.50-$4.00.

In late 1999 or 2000 I bought my 1st computer and quickly found TSN and their .50 condensed programs. Since then thats all I've used and have never felt the need or desire to purchase a DRF.
Stopped buying the DRF around 2000 as well, never liked the Beyer figs ever, I could relate more to the TSN/Bris speed figs instead. Bought from TSN like you. Now I'm with BRIS and Trackmaster, since TSN disappeared.

lamboguy
05-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Stopped buying the DRF around 2000 as well, never liked the Beyer figs ever, I could relate more to the TSN/Bris speed figs instead. Bought from TSN like you. Now I'm with BRIS and Trackmaster, since TSN disappeared.
i get all my racing forms for free, but really hardly look at them, i personally like turfday stats and my notes on horses.i have found a good set of pace figures that i have started to use as a handicapping tool, and a tool to help me place my horses. the pace figures that i have do not carry every track, so i look at the form on those that i don't have the pace figures on.

jandrus
05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
most times track program. I can buy sunday paper for $2 twice as many pages.awhile back drf said paper and ink cost went up. when i frist got drf it was a buck and had alot of tracks. now its $7 weekend and not as many tracks. so in the time i been playing cost up 600%. to me it spells out one thing. "GREED"

bitter
05-25-2010, 09:26 AM
caught between a rock and a hard place

if i don't have time to get a drf early in the morning i will print off the formulator at work, in fear that all the copies will be sold out (b/c i don't have the ink for 150+ pages and 4 different tracks at my house), so its an alternative for me.

personally i love the print version of drf, always have, always will. Even if they gouge me for it, i usually only play on the weekends anyways and it would cost me almost the same amount if i downloaded 6+ cards.

Black Ruby
05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
It's gotten more and more difficult (and expensive) to get the edition of the DRF with the tracks I want, so I get the Bris free through TS. I'd really prefer to have a newpaper-like version of Bris, where I can see the horses all at once as compared to scrolling on the computer.

Fingal
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Started with the form, switched to TSN after the DRF started it's never ending price increases. And now it's BRIS, for me they show much better patterns. Since they kept my .50 for the comma deleated downloads for the year since I came from TSN, & then the free ultimates I get through Twinspires, what's not to like ?

Why pay for tracks I don't use, why pay for info I can find on the internet for free ? If I want to read those articles as a hard copy I can pick up a discarded form on my way out af the track at the end of the day.

takeout
05-25-2010, 03:15 PM
Internet exclusively since the early ‘90’s. Used TSN until they were done away with. Now using BRIS but getting those wrong DRF trainer names again because of it. A small thing but irksome.