PDA

View Full Version : Persistence

DJofSD
05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I caught up with the last 5 days of "Jeopardy" on Sunday. It was the semi-finals and finals of the annual Tournament of Champions.

The winner is a chemical engineer who had tried to get on the program six times over 16 years. He finally made it and became this years TOC winner capturing the $250,000 grand prize.

Persistence does pay off.

Overlay
05-24-2010, 11:35 AM
I'll be auditioning on Saturday, June 12 in New Orleans -- my fifth time through the process (and also in the pool if I make it again this time) at four different audition locations in 13 years. I've always been curious as to what makes the difference for those who have been in the pool multiple times before they finally get called. Is it just random? Do they somehow finally come across as more telegenic, either appearance-wise, knowledge-wise (like the score on the online test, or the separate 50-question test that they administer at the audition itself), or personality-wise (or whatever else it is that the contestant search team is looking for), in a particular appearance? Does the number of times that they've previously been in the pool without being called get factored in? I realize that the show has many, many more people in the pool than can appear as an actual contestant in the 18-month eligibility period, but I figure that having made it into the pool in the past can't hurt.

DJofSD
05-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Ken Jenning's book discusses that selection process a bit, as I remember. But I don't recall the details.

riskman
05-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll be auditioning on Saturday, June 12 in New Orleans -- my fifth time through the process (and also in the pool if I make it again this time) at four different audition locations in 13 years.

Your persistence is also noted. Hope that your chances are improved with your past experience and that that you make it into the pool, not that the task itself is any easier. Keep us informed of your progress. Good luck.

skate
05-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Be informed, i need a little more luck, thanks.

Still running.