PDA

View Full Version : Racing cancelled at Hollywood Park on Wednesday...lack of entries*

Turfday
05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
nm

andymays
05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
They should get it over with and go on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. But on Saturday and Sunday they should start at 2 or 3 pm.

Cardus
05-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Who is starting the poll, "What will Vic do on Wednesday?"

sonnyp
05-23-2010, 08:04 PM
They should get it over with and go on Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. But on Saturday and Sunday they should start at 2 or 3 pm.

not to be redundant, but :

#1 (http://showpost.php?p=899558&postcount=1) sonnyp (http://member.php?u=9539)

vCash: 400

TheTimes...They Are A'changin
look around with a realistic eye at the condition of horseracing. california, new york, kentucky big trouble. maryland...dead. other states that are not hemoraging are in that position through artificial life support of slots and it's simply a matter of time before they flatline. new york, couldn't even fill 2 n.y. bred stake races on a card.

there are many people who have vested interests in the world of horseracing. trainers,owners, breeders etc.etc. the problem is their investment is in a "market" that has fewer and fewer consumers. outside of a decreasing population of bettors who's average age is 50 plus and those individuals who make their living in the industry, the average person in the market place simply does not care and has no interest.

the product is overexposed, watered down and, quite frankly, has gotten to the point where it fails to generate excitement in even it's most avid fans and participants. look at the approaching belmont, third leg of the triple crown. last i saw they were talking about 5 serious starters. will that get them out in droves ?

whether it succeeds or not, the only innovative move in the industry by monmoth, has started to convey what should be obvious......cut back !
less will be more. yes, many will not survive but as in nature, those left standing will be better off. the product will improve and the level of interest will increase.

cut back on breeding inferior horses, cut back on racing dates with lousy cards of 5 horse fields, cut back on the take out that leaves the bettor with no chance of turning a profit...cut back,cut back,cut back.

look at the card assembled at monmouth. 13 races, full fields, one that bettors feel they can eagerly participate in and have a chance. the handle will be up, the horsemen are excited by higher purses, and fans and gamblers will enjoy the added excitement of races with full fields.

let's hope it can sustain itself and it's a tough pill to swallow for those who won't survive but it always goes back to darwin and survival of the fittest rather than subsidizing those with vested interests.

InsideThePylons-MW
05-23-2010, 08:06 PM
It's just a matter of time until they are done the way they are going.

Everybody who races horses in the state (including yours truly) is either a moron, sucker or doesn't care about money.

Maybe they can get by on just weekends with 10 races per card unless they go to 5000 claimers racing for 20K so they don't all leave the state.

sandpit
05-23-2010, 08:49 PM
They figured to be in trouble trying to run six days this coming week, with the Memorial Day card. I'd heard that the experiment where they eliminated Thursdays was working okay from a bottom line standpoint, but for some reason they went back to running on that day...probably doesn't matter anyway, their days are sadly numbered.

delayjf
05-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I've always questioned the Friday night thing. They have got to lose handle on the east coast - but I'm sure they have run the numbers but I would still like to see them.

Stillriledup
05-24-2010, 12:43 AM
I don't remember cancellations like this when conventional dirt was on the ground.

Of course, it must be the economy, it can't be the plastic.

v j stauffer
05-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Who is starting the poll, "What will Vic do on Wednesday?"

Answer: Only one job. I'll coordinate Tyler's workers and take entires for the Saturday card.

Wish I could have had a more exciting answer.

Stillriledup
05-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Answer: Only one job. I'll coordinate Tyler's workers and take entires for the Saturday card.

Wish I could have had a more exciting answer.

If i want excitement, i'm going to dig up the LAVA MAN YESSSSSSSSSS! call. That always gets the goose bumps rolling!

Vic, how's your knee and your overall health, how you feeling these days?

Robert Goren
05-24-2010, 07:41 AM
I have a few questions. Are their stalls full ? Is this a case of trainers just refusing to enter horses or is there not enough horses? Is it a case of the racing secretary not writing the right kind of races?

v j stauffer
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
If i want excitement, i'm going to dig up the LAVA MAN YESSSSSSSSSS! call. That always gets the goose bumps rolling!

Vic, how's your knee and your overall health, how you feeling these days?

Thanks very much for asking. I feel great. My stress level has been DRAMATICALLY reduced now that I'm working for only Tyler. My knee is great and I'm a happy guy.

Looking forward to the rest of the meet. Zenyatta baby! Then Del Mar.

Stillriledup
05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks very much for asking. I feel great. My stress level has been DRAMATICALLY reduced now that I'm working for only Tyler. My knee is great and I'm a happy guy.

Looking forward to the rest of the meet. Zenyatta baby! Then Del Mar.

Awesome to hear. Glad you're feeling less stress. Going to be an exciting summer, you'll get more opportunities at Del Mar, i would imagine there's going to be more horses, not to mention bigger purses. Tyler always does well at Del Mar, i bet he's really looking forward to getting down there.