PDA

View Full Version : Monday at the Spa

Bubbles
07-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Hey all...

Last race at Saratoga on Thursday. Private Practice was 6-1, and the double I had going was gonna pay a respectable $52. HE DOESN'T TURN!!!!! Well, I got a lesser double with the odds-on fave that paid $8.80, leaving me with a loss of $14. Big better I am. Here's the analysis of the Monday card...

1ST-TOPSOIL KING has run two straight respectable races. He is reunited with Uske, gets a 2-pound weight break from his last start, and should beat this horrible field relatively easily. OLD CROW ran a fine race off a long layoff and should improve in his second start off this said layoff. ARJAY'S FLAG ran a good race on turf last out; switches to dirt and is a huge threat if he draws in.

2ND-CUPID'S COMET ran an 88 Beyer at this distance last out. Lake has scored with 23% of his runners this year; the one to beat. TUDOR COURT was a well-beaten fifth in a swiftly-run sprint at BEL last out; a threat if he repeats that time. RAISED EYEBROWS ran second in 7F effort; time was relatively quick; contender.

3RD-MY SNOOKIE'S BOY has ran impressive gate works at BEL. He gets Prado and could surprise in this baby race. GLORIOUS HERO also has decent works coming into this one. McPeek has scored with 13% of his 2YOs; might be the one to beat. POTOMAC CHASE gets first-time lasix and, like the top two, has solid works; wouldn't surprise.

4TH-PTAH ran a beautiful race off a two-month layoff coming from 10 lengths back to win by daylight; may even improve in second start back. I'M A GOER didn't run horribly off a similar layoff, and like my winner, will improve; can't count out. ERIN'S STORM raised his Beyer 53(!) points in his switch to the lawn; gets Chavez and completes the triple.

5TH-SAPODILLA (BEST BET) has impressed clockers in her morning works; Prado up on this Biancone firster; hard to go against. FANTASTIC CITY hasn't been out of the barn since April, but her lone fast-track race wasn't bad; most formidable part of Pletcher entry. FIAFFY was a well-beaten third in his first start since being shipped from Dubai; will improve here, but not enough to get McLaughlin another triumph.

6TH-FINAL TABLE ran a 92 Beyer in his first start off a six-month break; white-hot Hennig stable sends out another winner. LOVE LESS and SHAKE THE DICE comprise a fearsome entry for Lake. Both have the ability to rate, but what happens if FT gets out to an uncontested lead? STRAIGHT A, while not winning, has had a solid year, cashing in four stakes races in Florida; can he take advantage of the class drop?

7TH-WARLEIGH is one of Barbados's top horses (not saying much, I know). Look at his time in last year's Gold Cup. 1:45 4/5!!!!!!!! Could be much the best in this high-level claimer that is loaded with classy horses. SPOTTED OWL ran well in his first try off eight-month layoff; will improve. QUIET RULER hasn't run particularly well in his two tries this year, but he ran a monster race here last year; upset chance.

8TH-GAL O GAL ran a 91 Beyer in his lone NY try this year, winning in an incredibly quick time; the pick in the GIII Lake George. FILM MAKER closed superbly in MTH try off two-month break; will improve in first try at the Spa. OCEAN DRIVE is 5-for-6 lifetime, and is also coming off an impressive start off a break; the horse to try to beat.

9TH-MISCHIEVIOUSLY has a class edge here, as she's run in the NY Stallion Series in April; the choice in an absolutely terrible field. BURNT BUSH's races don't say a lot, but an impressive 7/20 move makes me think the horse can fill an exotics ticket. SANGUE TOO LOUD posted a career-high Beyer last out. Cotto stays up and gets a 7-pound weight break; contender.

Good luck, everybody!

Bubbles
07-27-2003, 05:10 PM
O.K. As is the norm, I get the Daily News and open it to the view of tomorrow's card. As is the norm, the guy doing the morning-line odds must have just gotten out of rehab...

4TH RACE

Snorter, 5-2, favorite in 10-horse field
Ptah, 15-1, next-to-last choice

Ptah romped in his first start off a layoff and is even eligible to IMPROVE OFF OF THAT! Snorter has never raced on the turf, and his works coming up to this have been only so-so. I have Ptah beating Snorter by 13 lengths, and while I may come across as sightly insane, I don't think that I've erred in my judgment enough to be off by 25 bucks.

6TH RACE

Cool Luke, 4-1, second choice in nine-entry field
Final Table, 10-1, sixth choice

Final Table is coming off a great race (92 Beyer) which was after a six-month freshening, and like Ptah, can do better here. Cool Luke ran one exceptional race last September that he hasn't come close to duplicating since (highest Beyer since was a 90). His work over the training track wasn't bad, but he might need to run back to the September 21st-effort to contend here.

Well, I DO need to get out of red figures, so this could be a good thing.

Bubbles
07-28-2003, 08:15 PM
Hit the $50-late double to come home $6.70 to the good. Down $7.30 still, but at least my horses turned!