PDA

View Full Version : Perils of Ownership

karlskorner
07-27-2003, 10:27 AM
From the Pawtucket Times about an owner, Lowell Kinch, who explains the basic costs of owning and racing horses. It is rather lengthy, but I thought this portion of the story was an extreme regarding breeding and ownership

"I bred a mare at Lane's End to Lord Avie for a $50,000. stud fee and then had her shipped back to a farm in New York, if the foal is dropped in New York, it becomes part of the lucrative NY Breeding Program and that's a very good organization. When I visited the mare at the barn, I asked the guy in charge, a southerner named Mark Stallings, if he would call me when the foal was dropped.

A few months later, I got a call from Mark, Mr. Kinch, he said this is Mark Stallings. I have some bad news for you. The foal was born dead. So I am brokenhearted and also out $50,000., but I ask Mark how the mare is doing and he says the mare is doing fine. She is standing in her stall and has an IV in her.

The next moring, Kinch continued, I get a call from Mark, Mr. Kinch he says, I've got more bad news for you, I just went to the barn and your mare has dropped dead during the night, I can't believe this happened. This never happened to me before. Kinch states he is out another $100,000 for the mare.

Ten minutes later, the phone rings again, it's Mark Stallings, I said to him, "Mark, both of my horses are dead. What more can possiblely go wrong" ?

Well, Mr. Kinch, Stallings drawled into the phone, " I just wanted to know, if you wanted them buried in one hole or two"

cj
07-27-2003, 10:35 AM
I admittedly know little about breeding, so maybe this is a dumb question. When you pay the stud fee, aren't you guarenteed a "live foal"?

karlskorner
07-27-2003, 10:58 AM
The story itself was rather lengthy and the URL too long to wrap. It was not about the money, probably a "live foal" was guranteed and probably the mare was insured, rather it was about the "time" spent awaiting the arrival of the foal and the time spent before it was brought to the track

lousycapper
07-27-2003, 04:13 PM
That there are people willing to spend enormous sums of money to breed and race horses. Without them there would be no "Sport of Kings". I doff my hat to them. Thank you!

-L.C.

stgeorge
07-27-2003, 10:27 PM
The full story is linked on www.equidaily.com ...

Scroll down the middle column and look for the link entitled, "Profile: Owner Lowell Kinch shares stories illustrating the highs and lows of the game..."