PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Park Ready To Take Center Stage

Stevie Belmont
05-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Monmouth Park Ready To Take Center Stage

Monmouth Park is ready to kick off the 2010 meet with a big bang on Saturday May 22. With $50 million in purse money ready to be spread over a 50-day period—Monmouth Park will be the place to be for many this summer. A big 13-race card is in store for opening day at Monmouth Park. I will be there and I will try to give some updates on Twitter as the day goes on. A recap of the big day will be posted—along with many pictures from opening day. Monmouth Park has always been my summer home away from home—It’s like Christmas Day in May!

Below are some links that will help you get ready for Monmouth Park’s Elite Summer Meet.

Monmouth Park Blog (http://monmouthpark.com/Blogs.aspx?id=2905&blogid=147)

Handicapping Contest—Survival At The Shore (http://monmouthpark.com/content.aspx?id=251)

Horseraceinsider—Free Grandstand Admission Opening Day (http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/Press-Release/article/monmouth-park-notes-thursday-may-20-2010/)

Andy Beyer—Monmouth Hopes For Horse Industry Revival (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/21/AR2010052101986.html)

Horseraceinsider—148 Horses Entered For Opener (http://www.horseraceinsider.com/blog.php/Press-Release/article/148-horses-entered-for-saturdays-13-race-monmouth-opener/)

NJ Newsroom—Will Monmouth Park’s New Push Raise Profile? (http://http://www.newjerseynewsroom.com/professional/will-monmouth-parks-new-push-raise-profile-of-racetrack)

Asbury Park Press—Revamped Meet Creates Excitement At Track (http://www.app.com/article/20100518/SPORTS/100518139/1002/SPORTS/Revamped-meet-creates-excitement-at-track)

Asbury Park Press—Monmouth Park Ready To Open Saturday (http://www.app.com/article/20100521/999999999/5210304/1024/POLITICS/Monmouth-Park-to-open-for-season-on-Saturday)

Asbury Park Press—Will Monmouth Park’s Big Gamble Pay Off? (http://www.app.com/article/20100520/NEWS/5200355/Will-Monmouth-Park-s-big-gamble-pay-off)

Asbury Park Press—Public Will Decide Race Track’s Fate (http://www.app.com/article/201005182230/OPINION05/5180345?odyssey=mod_related_topix)

NJ.COM—Monmouth Park Unveils Details Of ‘Million Dollar Meet’ (http://www.nj.com/sports/njsports/index.ssf/2010/05/monmouth_park_unveils_details.html)

ESPN—Garrett Gomez Lookin Forward To Monmouth Meet (http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/blog/_/name/gomez_garrett/id/5206399/looking-forward-monmouth-meet)

USA Today—Record Purses On Tap For Monmouth Park (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2010-05-18-2033470918_x.htm)

Tom
05-21-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm looking forward to the meet.
Innovation deserves to be rewarded, so I am doing the bulk of my betting there and Woodbine this year. Support the idea and maybe more tracks will wake up.

No need to bet into any race with less than 8 horses running.

point given
05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm there too. BTW, anyone else think that its outrageous for NJ bred maidens to have a MSW for $75,000 purse ? They could have gotten many of the purses at 1/3 off. and still been generous. Also interesting that on the NYRA feed today they were advertising that you could bet Monmouth on NYRA rewards but not on OTB.

lamboguy
05-21-2010, 05:57 PM
if they do get the handle, it will keep the place alive. somewhere in heaven phil isilin is praying for them.

onefast99
05-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I'm there too. BTW, anyone else think that its outrageous for NJ bred maidens to have a MSW for $75,000 purse ? They could have gotten many of the purses at 1/3 off. and still been generous. Also interesting that on the NYRA feed today they were advertising that you could bet Monmouth on NYRA rewards but not on OTB.
They had to put up a nice purse for the NJ breds many have the entire winter off and since it is a NJ track why not reward the statebreds.

point given
05-21-2010, 06:29 PM
They had to put up a nice purse for the NJ breds many have the entire winter off and since it is a NJ track why not reward the statebreds.

I don't believe in state bred welfare programs. whether it be NJ, NY etc. They should be able race year round and not be so heavily subsidized. Add money for statebreds that compete in open company, but the stakes races have $100k purse and NJ MSW $75,000 ?

Bluto Blutarsky
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
You know who complains the most about state bred purses?
The people who don't own a state bred.
The trainers that don't have a state bred in their barn.
Go to Fasig Tipton or Keeneland and get in the game.

Tom
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
You know who complains the most about state bred purses?
The people who don't own a state bred.
The trainers that don't have a state bred in their barn.
Go to Fasig Tipton or Keeneland and get in the game.

Don't forget the fans who get stuck betting these miserable excuses of race horses. It's like having the beer boys at Yankee stadium have an at-bat.

Stillriledup
05-21-2010, 08:33 PM
This is going to be a great meet for live players who know a lame horse when they see one in the warmups. Trainers will run em broken down just to get the 1,500. (someone on PA said every horse gets 1,500, i dont know if that's actually true, but i read it on this site)

Does anyone know if you actually have to FINISH the race to get the 1,500?

If not, you can stick a broken down one in the gate and just pull him up after 10 feet and get the 1,500.

Robert Goren
05-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Ok what was the handle opening day last year. I want to see if up 300% like some this board are predicting.

andymays
05-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Ok what was the handle opening day last year. I want to see if up 300% like some this board are predicting.

They are going to rock the world! :ThmbUp:

The biggest percentage increases will come on Fridays and Sundays.

Tomorrow should be huge.

GaryG
05-21-2010, 09:03 PM
They are going to rock the world! :ThmbUp:

The biggest percentage increases will come on Fridays and Sundays.

Tomorrow should be huge.That is a really good looking card. As deep and competitive as I have ever seen. As most of us figured, there are droppers up the wazoo, several from Dutrow. I plan to go after the P3 and P4, as there should be overlays aplenty. :jump: :jump:

andymays
05-21-2010, 09:06 PM
That is a really good looking card. As deep and competitive as I have ever seen. As most of us figured, there are droppers up the wazoo, several from Dutrow. I plan to go after the P3 and P4, as there should be overlays aplenty. :jump: :jump:

Pay attention to the two turn races on dirt.

He who takes notes and watches video replays will score at Monmouth. Use the hell out of Stable Alert for the ones with perfect trips and well as horrible trips. It will pay off down the road.

Rutgers
05-21-2010, 09:53 PM

Last year opening day was Saturday May 9, 2009

Attendence: 10,292

On-Track handle: $664,938

Total Handle: $4,279,440

Bluto Blutarsky
05-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't forget the fans who get stuck betting these miserable excuses of race horses. It's like having the beer boys at Yankee stadium have an at-bat.
Hey Tom
Monmouth will card 12- 13 races a day. If you see a state bred race that is a "miserable excuse" - don't bet it.
Nobody is "stuck".

Tom
05-21-2010, 10:00 PM
When they stick those lousy races in the middle of the multi-races bet, yes, you are.

arno
05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Last year at Mth

Total handle on track was 38 Million
Total handle overall was 293 Million

In order to reach that figure in 71 day meet (remember there are dates until November.

The daily (on track) handle has to be $535,000
The daily (overall) handle has to be $4,200,000

They have to double handle to break even .
Will the overall average handle be $8,400,000?

I doubt 8.4 especially when you have to average in Sundays in Novemebr when most people are home watching the NFL.

Jasonm921
05-21-2010, 11:40 PM
I htink Monmouth has a shot at succeeding here. This meet has generated as much buzz as a track can get. I'm going there tomorrow with the wife and parents. That's four people who would have been at belmont that are now at the Jersey Shore. I'm guessing Saturdays attendance numbers at Belmont to be 5,250 and Monmouths to be about 13,000. Also watch for Sundays stats....Belmonts first few races are horrible short fields competing with full fields at Monmouth.

Robert Goren
05-22-2010, 12:08 AM
5k people at Belmont. Lincoln, Ne drew 5k last friday night. They are both on their last legs. But then Lincoln never was much, but Belmont... So sad.:(

point given
05-22-2010, 12:18 AM
I believe Monmouth will kick NYRA butt during the Belmont meet , however the Saratoga meet will do fine as usual and Monmouth will taper back. I'll hazard a guess that Monmouth does $6.5 mil opening day total handle. They certainly have all the attention going.

Stillriledup
05-22-2010, 01:34 AM
Monmouth handicapping expert Brad Thomas talks about some of the trainers at the upcoming meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aR-F55MRTE

onefast99
05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't believe in state bred welfare programs. whether it be NJ, NY etc. They should be able race year round and not be so heavily subsidized. Add money for statebreds that compete in open company, but the stakes races have $100k purse and NJ MSW $75,000 ?
NJ racing begins in late May(this year) and ends in late November, those horses normally are laid up until mid February when they begin there training. Some are entered at AC on the grass but most just wait to race against other Jbreds at MP. NY has NY breds racing year round and so does Kentucky, Florida, California, Pennsylvania and nearly every other state.

onefast99
05-22-2010, 09:29 AM
Last year at Mth

In order to reach that figure in 71 day meet (remember there are dates until November.

I doubt 8.4 especially when you have to average in Sundays in Novemebr when most people are home watching the NFL.
Sunday racing never existed before in NJ how do you know what they will do handle wise? The new marketing program during the fall is called racing and football, they will have a lot of giveaways and offer drink specials etc etc. Once again it is an experiment and I believe they will have a decent turnout.

onefast99
05-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Tom
Monmouth will card 12- 13 races a day. If you see a state bred race that is a "miserable excuse" - don't bet it.
Nobody is "stuck".
I guess those 12.5k maidens at Santa Anita that so happen to be right in the middle of their pick 6 are much easier to handicap! Every track uses a few of these wide open affairs, it's part of the game.

GaryG
05-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Glad to see the Jersey horseman getting a lagniappe. May the Silly Goose get fat this summer!

onefast99
05-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Glad to see the Jersey horseman getting a lagniappe. May the Silly Goose get fat this summer!
From your mouth to Gods ears as my mom would say. 80k for a first level allowance on opening day, in the previous years we ran for less in a stakes race!

The Hawk
05-22-2010, 10:01 AM
I htink Monmouth has a shot at succeeding here. This meet has generated as much buzz as a track can get. I'm going there tomorrow with the wife and parents. That's four people who would have been at belmont that are now at the Jersey Shore. I'm guessing Saturdays attendance numbers at Belmont to be 5,250 and Monmouths to be about 13,000. Also watch for Sundays stats....Belmonts first few races are horrible short fields competing with full fields at Monmouth.

I expect Monmouth to get over 20,000 today.

onefast99
05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Rough numbers being thrown around are 17k will come thru the turnstyles. Enjoy the track, if you need a fun place to eat afterwards there are a few good ones at Pier Village right on the ocean in West Long Branch, everything form Stewarts Root Beer to Mcloones. Enjoy.

comet52
05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
What do you mean by "break even"?

NJ now has half the racing dates it did last year.

Last year at Mth

Robert Goren
05-22-2010, 12:12 PM
It is 40 minutes to post and equibase has gotten their scratches yet. Even Belmont has sent theirs. A new day indeed.:rolleyes:

Charli125
05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I always try to give the tracks a bit of a break at the beginning of their meet. We would all hope of course that they would be thinking about things like this, but I'll go easy on them for a few days.

I just hope they don't focus entirely on the ontrack folks and forget about those of us out in internet land.

Hedevar
05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
I expect Monmouth to get over 20,000 today.

The sad thing is, that when some of us began going to the races 20,000 on a Saturday was expected at major tracks across the country.

nearco
05-22-2010, 12:43 PM
So what happened to the huge fields? I'm seeing mostly 7-10 horse fields on today's card.

Tom
05-22-2010, 03:10 PM
It is 40 minutes to post and equibase has gotten their scratches yet. Even Belmont has sent theirs. A new day indeed.:rolleyes:

Agree - NO EXCUSES.
Fire someone.

How pathetic this industry is at every level.

I have already walked away from the computer and totally lost interest in placing any bets today. Maybe I'll try again next year. :rolleyes:

This game really sucks.

The Hawk
05-22-2010, 05:42 PM
The sad thing is, that when some of us began going to the races 20,000 on a Saturday was expected at major tracks across the country.

True enough. But that was the extent of their audience. There were 17,000 on track today, and how many thousands more playing at home, and at other tracks? We need to focus on the positive. Us old-timers like to long for yesterday, and in many ways it was much better, but the fact is there were more people playing the Monmouth Park races today than there were 30 years ago on Opening Day.

Hedevar
05-22-2010, 05:58 PM
True enough. But that was the extent of their audience. There were 17,000 on track today, and how many thousands more playing at home, and at other tracks? We need to focus on the positive. Us old-timers like to long for yesterday, and in many ways it was much better, but the fact is there were more people playing the Monmouth Park races today than there were 30 years ago on Opening Day.

You said it yourself Hawk, "in many ways it was much better." The industry as a whole was far better off but I don't want to sound like one of those guys that goes around saying how much better everything was in the past. There are some positives today.

point given
05-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Note that today had FREE grandstand admission and 1/2 price clubhouse. I'd guess that they will get 10-12000 for regular weekends.

miesque
05-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Well I have to congratulate Monmouth on a succesful opening day and it looks to be a promising season on the Jersey Shore. I have added Monmouth to my Summer track visit schedule and am very much looking forward to it.:cool:

llegend39
05-23-2010, 07:10 AM
This is going to be a great meet for live players who know a lame horse when they see one in the warmups. Trainers will run em broken down just to get the 1,500. (someone on PA said every horse gets 1,500, i dont know if that's actually true, but i read it on this site)

Does anyone know if you actually have to FINISH the race to get the 1,500?

If not, you can stick a broken down one in the gate and just pull him up after 10 feet and get the 1,500.

TVG"S Simon Bray onsite yesterday was explaining it He said they HAD TO CROSS THE FINISH LINE in order to get the $1500.00

arno
05-23-2010, 10:55 AM
At Monmouth yesterday the grandstand was packed yet the clubhouse was empty.

The traok officials knew it would be that way cause of the free grandstand admission.

Did any one see how many programs were left over at the clubhouse program stand at 6PM?

I'll be leaving in in 30 minutes for day number 2.

Any guesses on attendance?
I will guess 9,500

onefast99
05-23-2010, 10:59 AM
At Monmouth yesterday the grandstand was packed yet the clubhouse was empty.

The traok officials knew it would be that way cause of the free grandstand admission.

Did any one see how many programs were left over at the clubhouse program stand at 6PM?

I'll be leaving in in 30 minutes for day number 2.

Any guesses on attendance?
I will guess 9,500
With the weather forecast calling for showers I would venture to say 10,000 will be a good figure with 6m in total handle.

Bluto Blutarsky
05-23-2010, 11:21 AM
TVG"S Simon Bray onsite yesterday was explaining it He said they HAD TO CROSS THE FINISH LINE in order to get the $1500.00

Simon Bray is wrong. I spoke to a NJ state steward today.
When the starting gate opens, the $1500 is yours- you DO NOT have to cross the finish line.

Rutgers
05-23-2010, 12:04 PM
It's 12 noon and no posted changes at Monmouth Park.

Same old Monmouth Park.

onefast99
05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
Simon Bray is wrong. I spoke to a NJ state steward today.
When the starting gate opens, the $1500 is yours- you DO NOT have to cross the finish line.
You are correct just enter the gate and the money is in your account(in 4 to 5 days as the State is a bit behind).

onefast99
05-23-2010, 07:47 PM
It's 12 noon and no posted changes at Monmouth Park.

Same old Monmouth Park.
Actually the Carvel ice cream stand has chocolate sprinkles now instead of the rainbow ones, so I dont agree MP isnt' the same old same old.

Stevie Belmont
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Saturday was a great day. Big crowd and a lot of optimism everywhere.

They have to get more betting machines however. The amount they have is just not enough.

andymays
05-23-2010, 09:21 PM

They have to get more betting machines however. The amount they have is just not enough.

Never been to Monmouth but if it's a meet anything like Del Mar you get a lot of people who only bet casually during the year and don't really know how to bet. When you combine that with 10 cent supers you end up with people spending 5 minutes at the machine with a $3.60 voucher trying to make the most of it. It is one of the reasons I can't stand going to Del Mar. Getting stuck behind someone that doesn't know what they're doing can be a miserable experience. Especially if you wait till a few minutes before post time.

Dave Schwartz
05-23-2010, 09:36 PM
I really hope this goes well. Of all the tracks I have ever been to, Monmouth Park is my absolute favorite.

Here's to wishing them good fortune!

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

point given
05-23-2010, 10:06 PM

No problem on the 2nd floor with tellers or machines, ground level is always crazy

Rutgers
05-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Actually the Carvel ice cream stand has chocolate sprinkles now instead of the rainbow ones...

That's probably the real reason for the increased attendance and handle!

When I used to go to Monmouth, I used to always have Carvel for the seven race. (of course some days in order to do that I had to get in line during the 5th race :D ) Now that they have chocolate sprinkles, I will have to head back there this weekend.

onefast99
05-24-2010, 08:47 AM
That's probably the real reason for the increased attendance and handle!

When I used to go to Monmouth, I used to always have Carvel for the seven race. (of course some days in order to do that I had to get in line during the 5th race :D ) Now that they have chocolate sprinkles, I will have to head back there this weekend.
There were no lines at the Carvel stand this weekend. The beer stands, lemonade stand and hot dog concessions did a brisk business. 10 degrees warmer and the wait at Carvel will be 25 minutes.