PDA

View Full Version : Lack of backside workers critical

WinterTriangle
05-20-2010, 11:59 PM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/md-preakness-foreign-workers-20100510,0,1391375.story (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/md-preakness-foreign-workers-20100510,0,1391375.story)

"A dearth of Latino racetrack workers — grooms, exercise riders and other stable hands, the largely unseen but indispensable backbone of the $1 billion thoroughbred horse racing industry — is forcing a realignment of duties at Baltimore's Pimlico Race Track and other tracks, and appears to be affecting the ability of some owners to compete effectively at the races....."

Stillriledup
05-21-2010, 12:03 AM
I'll bet the best backstretch workers can ask for raises and get them.

WinterTriangle
05-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Pay is $500 a week plus a bonus if horse wins $, according to article.

Gee, when we were working ourselves thru college, my friends and I sought jobs like this for the summer! Live at home while not at college, or sleep in the barn, make and save $$, get to work outdoors and with horses. Wonder why they're not beating down the doors. Makes no sense to me.

Robert Goren
05-21-2010, 08:53 AM
most race meet don't end by the last week of august when a lot of colleges start classes.

WinterTriangle
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
most race meet don't end by the last week of august when a lot of colleges start classes.

I thought there was widespread joblessness.

Just trying to figure out why racehorse owners and tracks are experiencing such a dearth in workers.

BluegrassProf
05-21-2010, 03:34 PM
A job on the backside isn't like a summer gig at the chok'lit shoppe.

The work, the hours, the management, the culture...it can be hugely stressful and exhausting, for very little pay, and bucketloads of disrespect.

That's not to say jobs aren't plenty good & rewarding; there's all sorts of wonderful things about that whole little world, and absolutely, these guys are the ones that make racing what it is. Just shouldn't hold any romantic illusions about what backside work's really like.

Takes a certain person - most college students need not bother.

Robert Goren
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I agree. I grew up on a farm. There are not many "postcard" moments raising animals. It is mostly hard sweaty stinky work and a lot of it.

Robert Goren
05-21-2010, 03:48 PM
I thought there was widespread joblessness.

Just trying to figure out why racehorse owners and tracks are experiencing such a dearth in workers. Very low pay. If they could pay a 100k a year they would have all the workers they need. But they can't and so they don't.

Hanover1
05-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I know an American who is dependable with loads of experience looking for work on the backside at this time. PM me for further.......