PDA

View Full Version : WEG / Standardbred Canada

Trotman
05-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Starting Thursday May 20 all WEG result charts on Standardbred Canada will be charting and timing the opening 1/8 and the 7/8ths. If they get enough positive feedback from handicappers then this would put the wheels in motion to get programs re-formatted as there are other program providers that would need to have the same to be universal.

LottaKash
05-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Starting Thursday May 20 all WEG result charts on Standardbred Canada will be charting and timing the opening 1/8 and the 7/8ths. If they get enough positive feedback from handicappers then this would put the wheels in motion to get programs re-formatted as there are other program providers that would need to have the same to be universal.

A good thing Trotman, imo....I am all for anything to advance the player in his quest for finding the winner of a race.....I hope it leads to a new type of past performance sheet....We could use a new look and feel in that regard....:jump:

I was watching the races just this evening at Mohawk, and for a few races they were flashing the 1st 1/8ths, and late on the 7/8th's as well...They didn't do this for all the races, but I think that was due to technical glitches...Other wise, it was a rathe eye-opening thing to see the new numbers added to the regualr 1/4 mile splits....:ThmbUp:

best,

Ray2000
05-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Some IMO "Happy Hour" comments on WEG programs

1. They're free:jump:

2. Who owns the data? Particularly the added info (Trakus) compared to Equibase/USTA

3. Each race has a Class/Speed rating but this is not shown in PP lines for previous races. What am I supposed to compare this to? Look up each race program?

4. The Driver/Trainer ROI data is extremely useful. I would like to see individual Driver and Trainer ROIs rather than Dr/Tr combination starts.

Specific to Trakus data:

5. I'm assuming that the 'dist' number means the length of the path the animal traveled during the time the clock was running but to me it's just confusing and space wasting. I cannot find a clear definition of distance in their FAQ. Is it tied to the Race Track Official Timer? (or does it include the trip to the paddock.:))
http://www.trakus.com/press-pdf/trakus_FAQ.pdf
(I can see a way to screw it up with a cell phone call interference at the finish line, just kidding )

6. (As LK noted) the "7/8" call/LBs is the same as Equibase "Stretch" call/LBs

7. Looks Like Individual Fourth Quarter Times are still based on human estimates of LBs at the 3/4 pole and Finish. I guess Trakus LBs are not valid for USTA records.

One other point..

I would like to see the whole horse racing industry do away with 'fifths of a second' notation. They do make stop watches now that are good to the tenth of a second.:)

Waitress!...

mirror Image
05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
The fifth of a second = 1 length has been standard since
the stone age.
The problem with that is your figuring the same no matter if
the horse is a 10k claimer or a class horse. Even if the 10K
horse races in 2:00 and the class horse races in sub 1:50.

DeanT
05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Woodbine (ie Greenwood/Mohawk) did tenths for a couple seasons. Something like 1991-3 maybe? Then they went back to fifths. I think because no one else followed them to make the industry standard tenths.

Sea Biscuit
05-22-2010, 09:20 AM
They have taken out the 3rd quarter times for individual horses which I thought was a downer.

on the plus side they have included the money won for last 6 and last 10 races for each horse something for which I must have sent then a dozen emails.:ThmbUp:

All in all an improved program in my opinion.

Sea Biscuit

Trotman
05-22-2010, 09:51 AM
The truth be known WEG said the information has always been there and honestly believes what the handicappers want it should be there for them and this is why they are doing it. The fact though is that Standarbred Canada which controls the info has said that the USTA which is the body in the US and the US based program providers do not want to make the change because what they supply is ample and they don't want to overhaul their product. The two largest markets are WEG and the Meadowlands with the largest betting pools and the Meadowlands thinks this new format will work but I'm hearing that the USTA and the program providers are not buying it which sounds like this fight is just starting. IMO this really is not about that the USTA saying they don't want to change, they I think would be willing to do what is best for harness racing, but it sounds as if they are backing down from pressure from the program providers. It is time for the USTA and Standardbred Canada to flex their muscles and say this is the way it is going to be and if these program providers don't want to follow then they don't get the info. And isn't this great at a time when handles are down and no one going to the tracks because certain groups want to continue the way they always have for personal gain and we the bettor suffer.

LottaKash
05-22-2010, 12:41 PM
They have taken out the 3rd quarter times for individual horses which I thought was a downer.

on the plus side they have included the money won for last 6 and last 10 races for each horse something for which I must have sent then a dozen emails.:ThmbUp:

All in all an improved program in my opinion.

Sea Biscuit

Biscuit, I haven't seen the "local" program for the WEG horse, I only use the TM Pace Past Performances....But, are you saying that they are leaving out the 3/4 time for race, "out" ?.....Meaning that the 3/4 time of the race, will no longer be shown in "their" programs..?

That WOULD be a Big-Downer, and a Huge Mistake, imo....We have learned to rely on that number, to properly assess the pace of the race, for so long, I am not sure how you could do without it...At least I....

best,

LottaKash
05-22-2010, 12:42 PM
The truth be known WEG said the information has always been there and honestly believes what the handicappers want it should be there for them and this is why they are doing it. The fact though is that Standarbred Canada which controls the info has said that the USTA which is the body in the US and the US based program providers do not want to make the change because what they supply is ample and they don't want to overhaul their product. The two largest markets are WEG and the Meadowlands with the largest betting pools and the Meadowlands thinks this new format will work but I'm hearing that the USTA and the program providers are not buying it which sounds like this fight is just starting. IMO this really is not about that the USTA saying they don't want to change, they I think would be willing to do what is best for harness racing, but it sounds as if they are backing down from pressure from the program providers. It is time for the USTA and Standardbred Canada to flex their muscles and say this is the way it is going to be and if these program providers don't want to follow then they don't get the info. And isn't this great at a time when handles are down and no one going to the tracks because certain groups want to continue the way they always have for personal gain and we the bettor suffer.

Well put, Trots....I agree much....:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

best,

Sea Biscuit
05-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Biscuit, I haven't seen the "local" program for the WEG horse, I only use the TM Pace Past Performances....But, are you saying that they are leaving out the 3/4 time for race, "out" ?.....Meaning that the 3/4 time of the race, will no longer be shown in "their" programs..?

That WOULD be a Big-Downer, and a Huge Mistake, imo....We have learned to rely on that number, to properly assess the pace of the race, for so long, I am not sure how you could do without it...At least I....

best,

No John you misunderstood me. They didn't leave out 3/4 time of the race.

What I meant was they left out the calculated 3rd qtr time for the individual horses which was there in their previous programs. Probably due to lack of space.

I hope it is clear to you now.

Best

Sea Biscuit