PDA

View Full Version : The racetrack for a date

Valuist
05-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Is the track a good place to take a date? I think it depends on the two people's interest in racing. Its probably great for those who either never go, or go once or twice a year. For hardcore race fans, I think it has disaster written all over it.

I am supposed to go this Saturday w/the new g/f to Arlington....HER idea, not mine. I remember taking a girlfriend there once about 4 years ago. While walking back from the paddock, I ran into a couple friends I hadn't seen in awhile. My g/f and two other friends kept walking. I talked w/my track friends for a couple minutes and my g/f was angry thinking that I had dodged her. Then came the funny looks when I went inside to watch the race on the monitor while they went down by the rail (IMO, a terrible view at Arlington in which one virtually cannot see anything on the backstretch). Then of course, there's the obligatory race where the 3 newbies pick the winner based on the name, while your bet goes down in flames. I already tried to talk her into going for the final 6 races, which appear much more bettable than the first 5, which are loaded with small fields of bad horses running over a rubber surface. She still wants to attend the full card......

So what is the best way to approach it?
a) handicap the card like any other, and BET EARLY, before any alcohol or macho pride can affect one's thinking
b) focus on the woman, making only small bets. Downside is minimal, but it might be a little boring.
c) rely heavily on paddock and post parade inspection.
d) ignore the Poly and focus on Belmont and Churchill. If she says "I like the way Borel rides the rail", she's a keeper.

Zman179
05-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Definitely B. Make a few token pick 3's on the first five races so that you don't go out of your mind and bet like you normally would on the last six.

If you bet on the simulcasts at Belmont and Churchill, that will take time away from the girlfriend and she might start to be sorry that she suggested going to the track. Stick with Arlington only, it's only one day.

sonnyp
05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
you know the answer to your question already.

if you're going on a date, forget the gambling and pay attention to the girl.

if your going to gamble, on any level, leave her home and go bet horses.

c'mon...you've been around long enough to know there is NO SERVING TWO MASTERS !

Valuist
05-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Sonny and Zman-

You are exactly right. And no, I wasn't realistically planning on betting Belmont or Churchill, although I think I'll be pulling my hair out having to suffer thru a 6 horse field of NW2 lifetime claimers running over the PlastiTrack.

I've seen other guys bring dates to the track, get too focused on the racing and end up ignoring the girl. One friend brought a woman and then had to suffer thru a questionable DQ......it was kind of funny as he tried to keep his anger level down but it clearly was simmering. Never saw him w/that woman again.

Funny thing is, in the past 6 years, almost all of my betting has been done at home. But an 11 race card is long to sit thru.....w/out peaking at Bel or CD.

andymays
05-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Only if you win.

Most women hate gamblers unless they win all the time and that's impossible.

Unless she's bankrolling you. ;) :D

miesque
05-20-2010, 09:00 PM
I could do a long list of what to do and not to do but instead I will keep it simple and limit it to two (1) Do NOT go on a simulcasting tear betting multiple tracks between each race at Arlington. Even if that is normal for you, it is probably not going to give the impression you want to give, unless she happens to be a hard core degenerate horseplayer and some of those might be watching you with a raise eyebrow if you went into too much of a frenzy and not getting the requisite results, remember that women, at least subconsiously, take note of how guys that they they are in a relationship with (or who have relationship potential) spend money. (2) Make sure you are a gracious loser and watch your temper if you are one of those inclined to flash it when things go horribly askew (like a bad steward call or boneheaded jockey move). You can play your whole afternoon like a Stardivarius and totally blow it with the wrong outburst.

46zilzal
05-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Really depends on the lady. My wife grew up attending morning workouts at Stampede Park so it was a no brainer to take her there before we married.

goforgin
05-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow, similar to my story. Except we went to the old OTB in North Aurora (night), harness racing. We went to Arlington about 2 weeks later on about our 3rd date. But, the first date to the OTB, HER idea, not mine. She knew I liked horse racing and I think she thought I would be more comfortable (in my comfort zone). We've been together for 16 years now. I think the OTB night was the last time she's been in a parlor for any length of time, but she has been to Arlington again (about 1 trip per year). Recommend handicap the night before and have picks ready so you're on/off the machines in 30 seconds or so. Go down to the rail for 1/2 the races (or more if she likes it). Wait until the horses come back, the picture and the google toss. Check out the paddock a few times. Go to the west side so she can stand a foot or two away as the jockeys come through into the walking ring. If she drinks, offer to buy her one of those fancy-ass bright blue or red slushies. But, keep your head out of the form so she can see how much you enjoy the facility, the people, horses, jockeys, etc. May work for your MSW, but eventually you'll need to come clean about your passion for handicapping and that you like to gamble. But, if she can't appreciate a nice plant like AP to hang out at, win or loss a few bucks, then perhaps it's not in the PP's.

Stillriledup
05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
This is a good place for a date. The key is to never take your attention off HER. Don't handicap at all, that way, you wont be tempted to seriously follow the races, bet very small like a few bucks to show just to have 'action' and enjoy the day. The most important thing about a day like this for you is to get to know the girl better. Put the focus on HER not on the races and have the attitude that you're there to have fun with her, get to know her better and whatnut.

I remember a buddy of mine brought a girl to the races for a first date and it ended up horribly for him....i ended up 'hanging out' with his date while he was deep into the handicapping and betting. He did a ton of work on the card and really was focused on making money...then, he took a bad beat and was trying to get his money back and it spiraled all downhill from there for him.

I actually said to him after the fact, "dude that girl was smokin, what were you thinking?"

Johnny V
05-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I have taken many dates to the racetrack over the years and with the exception of one woman they were all complete novice bettors or first time attendees at the races. I have always enjoyed it and they all also have said they enjoyed the experience.
The key for me has been to keep it light, no simulcast betting, and showing them around the track and spending time in the paddock and showing and explaining things of interest to them. Just have fun. It should be easy. After all you are already doing something you enjoy and being somewhere you want to be anyway.

miesque
05-20-2010, 09:22 PM
But, if she can't appreciate a nice plant like AP to hang out at, win or loss a few bucks, then perhaps it's not in the PP's..

Absolutely agree with this comment, Arlington Park is about as female friendly a track as you will get (beautiful, bright, classy, spic 'n span clean, aesthetically pleasing, great customer service with all the modern amenities you would expect). If she does not enjoy an afternoon at the races there, the odds are not very good she is going to enjoy most other tracks.

Stillriledup
05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Also remember, girls might like tracks, but they don't necessarily like men who are 'gamblers'. Don't want to show her you have a strong 'gambling instinct'.

Bruddah
05-20-2010, 09:29 PM
You're one lucky fella. You have a possible girlfriend who likes the Horses. Learn from your mistakes from the last time. Let her set the pace and you follow her lead. No shame in letting the filly run out front as long as you win the race coming from behind.

Oopps! No tawdry puns intended! :eek: :rolleyes:

born2ride
05-20-2010, 09:36 PM
As a female, I'd be inclined to more interested in a guy if he showed me a little about what happens at the track. I'd not explain too much as that could make you look like a know-it-all, but offer to take her to paddock, ask her if she wants to make a bet and ask why she made the bet on that particular horse. Don't gamble too much but offering to pay for her bet is a nice touch. Basically I'm just adding to what has already been said - pay attention to her and get to know her while letting her get to know a little about you.

illinoisbred
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
I feel for ya Valuist. Over the course of a long afternoon(which saturday will be) its very difficult to avoid leaking,oozing,exuding,or expressing too much knowledge/info that will signal to her that racing is much more than a casual, recreational activity for you. At least that's been my experience from track 1st dates.

Stillriledup
05-20-2010, 09:40 PM
People love the racetrack if they have someone there who can tell them what's going on. I recently took a married couple to the track on a double date and it was their first time ever at a racetrack and they loved it. The wife told me that if i wasnt there to explain what was going on and to answer any question she had, she wouldn't have had as good of a time.

jballscalls
05-20-2010, 09:46 PM
I went on a first date once to the track (emerald) with a gal who was a veternarian student at WSU. she had been around barrel racing her whole life. So we went to the races and the first race she says "i can't imagine who would bet on the 5 or the 8, they look so sore in the hind end" so i look up and the 5 is the 4/5 chalk and the 8 is the 3/1 second choice! I box 4 other horses i liked and throw them out on her recommendation, and whammo! $400 and some odd bucks for a trifecta!

She looks at me and says this game is easy. unfortunately the first race was as lucky as i got ;)

Valuist
05-20-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't think I'll be betting too much. Synthetic racing is not a strong point in my betting arsenal. Ok at TP and Kee, HORRIBLE at Arlington. I live about 5-6 miles from the track and I have not wagered on a single main track race there since 2008. I would tend to agree w/most of the responses; keep the attention on her and not on Eddie Perez or Mike Stidham.

Bruddah- ROLMAO

nativenova
05-20-2010, 10:15 PM
It seems odd that she would pick the racetrack for a date, is she a gambler?

If not then maybe have her make the picks ,remember beginners luck,the less you know sometimes the better.

Bruddah
05-20-2010, 10:17 PM
People love the racetrack if they have someone there who can tell them what's going on. I recently took a married couple to the track on a double date and it was their first time ever at a racetrack and they loved it. The wife told me that if i wasnt there to explain what was going on and to answer any question she had, she wouldn't have had as good of a time.

Sorry, I copied the wrong post .

APguy
05-20-2010, 11:15 PM
I too live not too far from Arlington, and I always seem to bring either the wife or friends of ours/couples and we always have a great time! I normally do alot of my handicapin b4 we leave the house, bet early and sit back watch, eat and drink. Normally, im playin AP and Belmont... Its not a bad time when i miss a few races at belmont go inside to get a few drinks, check my bets and see I have a few hundred to collect!!!

QuarterCrack
05-20-2010, 11:38 PM
Reminds me of this thread:
http://forum.turfnsport.com/general-discussion-handicapping/6011-never-ever-take-first-date-simulcast.html

I think if you treat it as just a fun day at the track and forget about getting wrapped up in handicapping, it'll be fine. Be sure to answer any questions she has, and don't think you have to win money to impress her.

I would also focus only on the live racing, unless she seems REALLY bored between races. Someone new to the racetrack will be way more entertained by the live product than simulcast. Remember, keep it about her this time.
The fact that you usually don't bet the synthetic at Arlington works in your favor, since you won't feel pressure to win and will naturally keep bet sizes low.

Maybe team up on some show parlays for fun, and to keep the day entertaining for yourself. You guys can take turns picking the horse in each race, and you'll build on your camaraderie since you're both rooting in the same horse in every race. If you win, she'll think you guys make a great team, right?

Robert Goren
05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Been there, done that, not going to do it again. Every thing was going fine until she went to "powder her nose" All I heard for weeks what a pit the ladies room was.;)

PhantomOnTour
05-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Nice one Robert.

Gotta chose a place with a good chance of nice weather(Dmr,SA)...she won't like a sloppy track, and i KNOW i don't like a sloppy track ;)

proximity
05-21-2010, 02:56 AM
I could do a long list of what to do and not to do but instead....

but instead, you will just leave us hanging!! :D

proximity
05-23-2010, 03:25 AM
well, did this go down valuist?? or are you going to leave us hanging too...:)

startngate
05-23-2010, 07:50 AM
Had my biggest score in racing on a day when I took a girlfriend to Arlington for the Million in 1984. John Henry over Royal Heroine.

I spent most of the day just showing her around, and trying to explain what was going on at an elementary school level. She knew nothing about horse racing but bet the same horses I bet each race. We both ended up big winners, and the celebration after was better than cashing the tickets ... :cool:

Valuist
05-23-2010, 08:52 AM
well, did this go down valuist?? or are you going to leave us hanging too...:)

I thought it went great. I low-keyed the handicapping aspect, for the most part. I did start betting more late in the card and hit a few bets. Nothing big; she got to cash a couple tickets. The only track she'd ever been at before was Thistledown, so needless to say, Arlington is a ginormous improvement.

As one who has bet almost strictly from home the past 6 years or so, with the occasional trip to the OTB, I had forgotten about the "atmosphere" at Arlington. I rarely venture to the area near the rail but yesterday we spent most of our time there and in the paddock. The number of attractive females there was startling; No, I wasn't eyeing them but one can't help but notice them. Needless to say, the possibility of them being a distraction was much bigger than the possibility of being distracted by Belmont or Churchill.

JohnGalt1
05-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I always handicap the night before, but when I have taken a date to the track I put all my bets in as soon as the scratches are announced. Then I can devote full attention to her enjoyment, and we can place her bets as we go along.

If the odds on one of my picks falls too low, I will go cancel the bet.

WARNING to those whose tempers flare after a tough beat, maybe you should take your date to the ballet. :sleeping:

Horseplayersbet.com
05-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I took my fiance (now wife) to the track just so she could finally meet my father 20 years ago.

Prior to that, I only took one other girl on a date to the track. I don't know if it impressed her or not having all the rounders there saying hi to me.

Zman179
05-23-2010, 01:20 PM
A trip to the track in Chicago with a date also depends on what you would like to do together.

Take her to Arlington if you would like to impress her with the Sport of Kings and spend some time with her. :cool:

Take her to Hawthorne if you want to take her to one of the Cicero Ave hourly hotels and bang her until 6 o'clock. :lol:

ClassTrumpsSpeed
05-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Is the track a good place to take a date? I think it depends on the two people's interest in racing. Its probably great for those who either never go, or go once or twice a year. For hardcore race fans, I think it has disaster written all over it.

I am supposed to go this Saturday w/the new g/f to Arlington....HER idea, not mine. I remember taking a girlfriend there once about 4 years ago. While walking back from the paddock, I ran into a couple friends I hadn't seen in awhile. My g/f and two other friends kept walking. I talked w/my track friends for a couple minutes and my g/f was angry thinking that I had dodged her. Then came the funny looks when I went inside to watch the race on the monitor while they went down by the rail (IMO, a terrible view at Arlington in which one virtually cannot see anything on the backstretch). Then of course, there's the obligatory race where the 3 newbies pick the winner based on the name, while your bet goes down in flames. I already tried to talk her into going for the final 6 races, which appear much more bettable than the first 5, which are loaded with small fields of bad horses running over a rubber surface. She still wants to attend the full card......

a) handicap the card like any other, and BET EARLY, before any alcohol or macho pride can affect one's thinking
b) focus on the woman, making only small bets. Downside is minimal, but it might be a little boring.
d) ignore the Poly and focus on Belmont and Churchill. If she says "I like the way Borel rides the rail", she's a keeper.

Most women will not risk pairing off with a gambler due to the risk of ruin that is not present with more "stable" types, like those with regular jobs and 401(ks)....oops.

If you go, do your serious handicapping beforehand, and make it seem like you're just picking casually. If she's ditzy, you can impress her with "winning bets" that are high-probability, and if she's smart, go for a ajckpot win, since sex will be added to the payoff.

What she's really looking to see is how you approach risk, how you handle winning and losing, how you handle your money, and how much time she's going to lose to your horseplaying if you hook up. The one mistake you want to aoid is trying to elevate her interest in the track, since this will be seen as an intrusion borne of self-interest.

I once took a stripper to a Turf Club for one race, which lost. She was actually very impressed when I turned to her as they were turning for home, said "nope," and just walked, completely unruffled. To women, a date is a shared experience. The more you understand what's going on in her mind, the more you can make the experience enjoyable.

Think of it as if you were to tag along on one of her shopping trips.

WinterTriangle
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I actually said to him after the fact, "dude that girl was smokin, what were you thinking?"

Hence the stereotype of all the old dishevelled men hanging around ----alone-----at racetracks with crumpled DRF forms under their arms.

Don't expect the sport to "grow" if you only make it about gambling, and why I dislike that mono-approach.

It's a day out, lots of sights, people and horse watching, paddock inspections, food and drink, and a chance to cheer on the horse you and your date agreed on (that means you handicapped *together*) and if the weather is nice, all the better to stand outside at the apron in the sun. And better yet if she has kids and grandkids and you have yours and bring them on one of your dates, showing that this is, indeed, FAMILY entertainment.

Valuist
05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I took my fiance (now wife) to the track just so she could finally meet my father 20 years ago.

Prior to that, I only took one other girl on a date to the track. I don't know if it impressed her or not having all the rounders there saying hi to me.

That was the problem when a went back a few years ago. Ended up talking with too many friends.

Yesterday, I didn't see any friends and only a couple a vaguely familiar faces so no distractions. Of course, I wasn't hanging out in the area where most of my gambling friends and acquaintences would be.

Zman-

You could not get two more different kinds of crowds than the crowds at Arlington and at Hawthorne. I think many in the Arlington crowd aren't even aware that there is another track in the metro area.

Bruddah
05-23-2010, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=WinterTriangle]Hence the stereotype of all the old dishevelled men hanging around ----alone-----at racetracks with crumpled DRF forms under their arms.

Winter, please don't single me out as an example. (lol)

proximity
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I thought it went great....

that's good to hear valuist!!

(i figured it would at least beat my night of losing on the fairmount park simulcast before curling up alone in bed with the barry meadow classic: blackjack autumn):)

Cardus
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Box the 6-9 -- or play it straight -- in every race, but act like you have genuine reasons for liking both horses.

And call each Pick 3 that you play a "threesome."

You'll be fine.

thespaah
05-24-2010, 07:39 PM

I introduced three women to the track on dates. One I am married to. She likes the track. In fact she liked it enouigh to take her Mom to the track on a girl's night out. One I dated for two years. She liked the track so much she started taking HER friends to the track. The third: "If you want to bring me next time, I'll go, but I thought is was boring"...I got the message and never brought her back.
On each occasion I didn;t adjust my routine all that much. Thaen again I am not a hardcore horseplayer either. For me it's entertainment.
The occasions when I am bearing down and concentrating on the job and speak to virtually no one is when I go solo. Then it's work.

magwell
05-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Pittsburgh Phil said never bring a girl to the track .....not even your mother ;)