PDA

View Full Version : not bad, Jamie Moyer

skate
05-19-2010, 09:07 PM
has 99 wins, since turning Forty.

Only two others...

RXB
05-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Moyer continues to blow hitters away with his 80-mph fastball... the anti-Ryan.

cj's dad
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
has 99 wins, since turning Forty.

Only two others...

I assume are asking for the two who have more ??

One is Phil Niekro 125

Cy Young and Warren Spahn each had 82

Steve 'StatMan'
05-20-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll guess Gaylord Perry as the other, though it might have been Wilbur Wood.

cj's dad
05-20-2010, 01:11 PM
I'll guess Gaylord Perry as the other, though it might have been Wilbur Wood.

Others I came up with:

Nolan Ryan - 71
Gaylord Perry - 64
Roger Clemens - 61

Wilbur Wood - retired at age 36 - I was surprised by that !!

Note: info provided by: www.baseball-ref.com (http://www.baseball-ref.com) (the best)

skate
05-20-2010, 02:20 PM
Nikro would be correcto.

the other pitcher would be Jack Quinn, gave yanks, 1st Pennant.

Pitched until he was 50, won 109 games after 40, led league twice, after 45, in saves.

Most wins after age 40 games came with the A's.

Consider, we live longer today, he must have been a tough cookie, born in PA, started working in the coal mines.

cj's dad
05-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Jack Quinn -

amazing that he "only won" 247 games and 109 of those after he reached 40 !!

bisket
05-20-2010, 06:08 PM
one of the worst moves dem' o's ever made was letting moyer go. if they would have kept him that next year i still think they would have gone to the world series. i had the opportunity to discuss this with sammy perlozzo after that season, and it was funny because it was a few days before they signed jimmy key. i told him that i thought the fact that every pitcher the o's had threw the same speed really hurt them in the playoffs, and we need someone with an offspeed repertoire to break up the rotation. he agreed and said they were going to sign someone just like moyer and i'd hear about it soon. jimmy key was an ok addition, but he was on his way downhill fast at that time. boy it would have been nice to have moyer. he didn't want to leave, and i think he still lives in baltimore.

cj's dad
05-20-2010, 07:17 PM
JamieMoyer and wife Karen !!- Have the Moyer Foundation which supports kids in distress and also has Camp Erin. Not sure if he still lives in the B'more area.

kingfin66
05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Moyer lives in Florida these days.

OTM Al
05-21-2010, 09:07 AM
one of the worst moves dem' o's ever made was letting moyer go. if they would have kept him that next year i still think they would have gone to the world series. i had the opportunity to discuss this with sammy perlozzo after that season, and it was funny because it was a few days before they signed jimmy key. i told him that i thought the fact that every pitcher the o's had threw the same speed really hurt them in the playoffs, and we need someone with an offspeed repertoire to break up the rotation. he agreed and said they were going to sign someone just like moyer and i'd hear about it soon. jimmy key was an ok addition, but he was on his way downhill fast at that time. boy it would have been nice to have moyer. he didn't want to leave, and i think he still lives in baltimore.

Even before that the Cubs didn't keep him. They had both him and Greg Maddux and lost them both. Would have been a great foundation to build on way back when, but then again we are talking about a franchise that hasn't cared about winning for most of my lifetime.

skate
05-21-2010, 11:01 AM
bisket;

good point on "having a different speed range" player on the club.

I dont remember but i thought Philly giot him from Seattle? i do recall he really wasnt much as far as his figures go, but his personality along with 'he gets up for Big Games'Also, (playoffs) really makes him one of the best.

I think Chuckey and his staff have somethin to do with success being contagious.