PDA

View Full Version : Monmouth Opening Day

Brogan
05-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Monmouth is taking entries for opening day today.

Any predictions about how many full fields?

I say they run the table...12-for-12.

andymays
05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
I wish them all the best. :ThmbUp:

The Racing Secretary should be able to put together a great variety of races.

For the first time Monmouth will be my primary track. I'm looking forward to it.

lamboguy
05-19-2010, 07:21 AM
i know that you have to have your papers in the by today in order to get a reasonable date. i am trying to get in a $10k claimer on may 31 so i sent the papers there yesterday. that purse is $28,000. that race will probably have about 30 entrants for it.

andymays
05-19-2010, 07:27 AM
i know that you have to have your papers in the by today in order to get a reasonable date. i am trying to get in a $10k claimer on may 31 so i sent the papers there yesterday. that purse is $28,000. that race will probably have about 30 entrants for it.

What's your opinion on how much the purse structure will affect the claiming races?

For example a 5k claiming race will most likely be filled by a bunch of 10k and 12k claimers because of the big purses right?

Brogan
05-19-2010, 09:42 AM
For example a 5k claiming race will most likely be filled by a bunch of 10k and 12k claimers because of the big purses right?

I think you hit the nail on the head. I also think there will be a very full claiming box this meet. I hope they printed up enough claim slips and envelopes.

magwell
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
What's your opinion on how much the purse structure will affect the claiming races?

For example a 5k claiming race will most likely be filled by a bunch of 10k and 12k claimers because of the big purses right? The claiming game should be great as there will be major deflation because of the big purses......:cool:

Brogan
05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
I haven't been around the track enough this year yet. Is there any plan for a preference system for entry??? (other than what's already in place for turf)

lamboguy
05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
I haven't been around the track enough this year yet. Is there any plan for a preference system for entry??? (other than what's already in place for turf)
monmouth is on the date system. the first to have their papers in the office gets preference to those that are in later after may 18. when you run at monmouth on say may 22 and another horse runs on may 23, the horse that ran on may 22 takes precedent. the key factor is that the papers must be in the office. papers in the office takes precedent over time from horses that have run in other tracks. my filly is stabled in philadelphia park, but my papers are now in monmouth.

lamboguy
05-19-2010, 10:07 AM

that is definately going to be the case,there will be plenty of drops for this meet.

i am entering a horse off a win and am dropping. but my horse did run a worse number than her prior win.
i also don't think that i could win with her at a higher level there the way she ran last time.

andymays
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
that is definately going to be the case,there will be plenty of drops for this meet.

i am entering a horse off a win and am dropping. but my horse did run a worse number than her prior win.
i also don't think that i could win with her at a higher level there the way she ran last time.

Did they put together any starter allowance series for the meet?

andymays
05-19-2010, 10:46 AM
With Elite Monmouth Meet, New Jersey Hopes to Make Money by Spending Money

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/sports/19racing.html

Excerpt:

“It’s the bettor who is going to decide whether this is a good idea,” said the trainer John Forbes, who heads the local horsemen’s group. “If we all search our memory banks for the last decade, we will remember article after article, study after study, blog after blog that says this is what the customer is asking for. We’re going to try to give it to them.”

onefast99
05-19-2010, 12:18 PM

You better read the conditions on some of the claiming races, preference goes to the condition first. Some claiming races will be limited to horses who have run for a maximum tag in 2010, for example a 5k claiming race may be limited to horses who have not run for more than 12.5k in 2010. Also there is no rule that you must raise a claimer up in price this year, you can actually claim one for 10k and drop it to 5k in its next race. The state will also reap the benefits as sales tax is 7% on any horse who is being claimed for the first time at the meet.

Show Me the Wire
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Monmouth is taking entries for opening day today.

Any predictions about how many full fields?

I say they run the table...12-for-12.

Full fields would certainly show the importance of purse structure as a solution to the small field issue.

smartybadger
05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
It doesn't disappoint:

http://equibase.com/static/entry/MTH052210USA-EQB.html

Bluto Blutarsky
05-19-2010, 03:27 PM
There are rats in these NJ bred races running solely to get the $1500 for the also rans.

andymays
05-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Plenty of Horses in Box for Monmouth Opener

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57100/plenty-of-horses-in-box-for-monmouth-opener

Excerpt:

The first day of the Monmouth Park experiment can be considered a success as far as the entry box goes, as 148 horses were entered in 13 races with purses totaling $812,000.

Six of the races May 22 drew alternates. Thirty horses were excluded.

Excerpt:

Stall space is at a premium this year with maiden special weight events going for $75,000 and entry-level allowance races for $80,000. Three New Jersey-bred races on the opening-day card drew 12 or more horses.

onefast99
05-19-2010, 04:15 PM
You better read the conditions on some of the claiming races, preference goes to the condition first. Some claiming races will be limited to horses who have run for a maximum tag in 2010, for example a 5k claiming race may be limited to horses who have not run for more than 12.5k in 2010. Also there is no rule that you must raise a claimer up in price this year, you can actually claim one for 10k and drop it to 5k in its next race. The state will also reap the benefits as sales tax is 7% on any horse who is being claimed for the first time at the meet.
The claiming rule will be changed to the following, you will be in for the claim amount for 20 days on the twenty first day you can drop . Example on May 22nd you claim one for 15k on the 21st day thereafter you can drop to the bottom. The claiming box will be a very busy place this meet!