PDA

View Full Version : The Century Dream Juvenile Fillies

andtheyreoff
05-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Taken from the brisnet series.

It's Churchill Downs, 1 1/16 on a fast dirt track.

The rest of the series (plus a personally-added F&M Turf race) will be added.

The winners will be revealed once polling closes for each race.

tzipi
05-18-2010, 10:52 PM
NO ONE will get in front of Ruffian and no one will finish in front of her at the wire. JMO ;)
Great field of fillies though :ThmbUp:

Paseana
05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
I know it's next to impossible to vote for anyone but Ruffian in this poll, but I'm going to.

The history of this game is what makes for so many passionate arguments between so many demented lovers of these horses, and that makes it what it is. This is a great poll, just because it gives all of us who love these horses, both past and current, another chance to argue over who was best, and boy are we all good at that!

I vote for Landaluce here. She was a freak, as Ruffian was, but I really believe that the 1982 Landaluce would have given the 1974 Ruffian all she could handle and more.

Arguments, anyone?

joanied
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I was tempted to vote for Moccasin or Affectionately...the latter was a super freak, IMO...and obviously Ruffian would be anyone's quick pick...but I decided to go with Landaluce...she was a once in a lifetime filly, she was a total freak of nature and although this fantasy field is awesome...me thinks Landaluce would win.

Cardus
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
How does Zenyatta not make this field?

Had she raced as a juvenile, she would have been undefeated and unchallenged.

It's insanity.

joanied
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
if she had, she probably would not be racing now.

Pick6
05-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Ruffian would have beaten most 2YO champion males.

only11
05-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I know it's next to impossible to vote for anyone but Ruffian in this poll, but I'm going to.

The history of this game is what makes for so many passionate arguments between so many demented lovers of these horses, and that makes it what it is. This is a great poll, just because it gives all of us who love these horses, both past and current, another chance to argue over who was best, and boy are we all good at that!

I vote for Landaluce here. She was a freak, as Ruffian was, but I really believe that the 1982 Landaluce would have given the 1974 Ruffian all she could handle and more.

Arguments, anyone?
Landaluce was the female Seattle Slew....any idea what she died from?

Cardus
05-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I watched the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies race won by Flanders with the brother of Paul Barrone, who is Sciacca's assistant trainer.

On replay, he catches that awkward step that she took -- clearly illustrated on the slo-mo -- and declares that "she'll never race again."

It sounded premature and almost foolish in the moment, but he turned out to be right.

That was a game effort:

"DON'T COUNT FLANDERS OUT YET."

joanied
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Landaluce was the female Seattle Slew....any idea what she died from?

Did you know she won her only 5 starts by a combined average of 46 1/2 lengths...incredible.

It was a such a sad :( thing when she died...too young, too talented and too loved by everyone.
She died of Colitis X, an intestinal infection, which was complicated with a bacterial infection that produced blood clots on her lungs and other organs.

How this happened is probably still anyone's guess...

46zilzal
05-19-2010, 06:20 PM
there are many not even mentioned here like Gallorette, summarized at Wikipedia:As a three-year-old in 1945, she stood 16 hands 1 inch. Her first race was a victory over Hoop Jr., the colt that went on to win that year's Kentucky Derby. She then took on the colts again in the Wood Memorial Stakes, coming in second to Jeep. "The Great Ones," a Blood-Horse book, says of her: "She was a big mare; as big as most of the colts she raced against, tougher than some of them, faster than almost all of them."

Gallorette was running when races for fillies beyond the age of three were limited, and as a result, most of her important races were against male horses. In truth, there were races to run in, but being for females, they carried much smaller purses. (The first $100,000 race for fillies and mares only was the New Castle Handicap (the forerunner of the Delaware Handicap), and was inaugurated long after Gallorette had retired.) Against females, she took the Acorn Stakes, the Pimlico Oaks, and the Delaware Oaks. She beat every Eastern filly of any quality. Back to racing colts, she carried the same weight and competed in the Dwyer Stakes, losing it by a nose to Wildlife. But she won the Empire City Handicap, beating the Belmont Stakes winner, Pavot. About then, Gallorette got tired, or fed up, or just lost heart, because she then lost six races in a row.