PDA

View Full Version : The gods must be crazy...

rmania
07-26-2003, 11:04 AM
...or at least they think they're gods.

I'm referring to the Stewards at Del Mar.

Did anyone happen to see the DQ in yesterday's 3rd race. What a disgrace. The boos were so load one could have sworn they were at Fennway Park while the Yankees were being introduced.

rmania
07-26-2003, 11:41 AM
Did I say "load" ? :rolleyes:

Meant to say "loud"....

Really though, I'm not surprised at the decision. The Stewards at Del Mar have been this way for years........

rmania
07-29-2003, 10:17 AM
From bogus inquiry to no inquiry at all.

What the heck is up?

This isn't sour apples. I'm just totally disgusted with these clowns and their blatant acts.

I've posted links to two Del Mar replays.

This first one resulted in a DQ of the #2 horse for imterference in the stretch (huh?)

http://www.dmtc.com/live/replays/asx/030725-03.asx

This second one received no inquiry at all even though the #1 horse severly impeded the #2 horse in the stretch causing the #2 horse her position. The fact that the #1 horse was much the better of the two (and won the race) should not have been an issue. The #1 still should have been (IMO) taken down.

http://www.dmtc.com/live/replays/asx/030728-02.asx

And these aren't the only questionable calls from this meet which is only one week old.

Reaction?

Observer
07-29-2003, 12:06 PM
First, let me say, it's hard to give a good opinion on a dq, or non-dq, without seeing shots from various angles .. head-on would be great .. and even the rear view can be helpful .. just going based on the regular angle is difficult ..

In the first incident .. it looked like the #2 horse was trying to get out all the way down the backstretch .. the jock even takes a tighter hold of the left rein just before going into the turn, which I thought should have been done sooner, since he appeared to be having trouble. All appeared fine turning home, but just before the 1/8th pole .. the #2 horse did appear to come out and make contact with the #10, and it appeared at and inside the 16th pole there may have also been some contact. Without seeing the head-on .. I'd have to say that I could imagine the contact just prior to the 1/8th pole (at 2:02 on the video) could have been enough to persuade them for a dq .. because it did look like the #10 horse came off her path.

As for the second incident .. don't think any other angles would help out because of the angle the horses are at with coming out of the turns .. but I certainly would not say the #2 was "severly impeeded." Maybe they should have posted the inquiry, but the #2 horse was giving way, and the hole was there for the #1, and if you watch the rider of the #2 horse, he never changes his position on the horse. At 1:27 in the video, you can clearly see the hole is there .. and if anything, I think the #2 horse came over on the #1, forcing the #1 in much tighter against the rail.

WINMANWIN
07-29-2003, 08:08 PM
RR, I feel for yea, and when the stewards are not consistent
and we as bettors are affected, it's a sad feeling. I'm QUITE
surprised with the cards at del mar. I see bottom level claimers
carded for 10 k, and that should be prohibited. At toga,
claimers run for 20, 25 bottom, Del mar should do the same thing.
I read frankel has scaled back, due to workmans comp premiums and Lukas is gone. Seems like left coast racing is suffering, and
appears to be in trouble. When you insult the fans with bull crap races like del mar has offered for the premier meet, Fans catch
on, an avoid an uninspiring card day after day. I certainly had
my fill..........:eek: