PDA

View Full Version : Paragallo sentenced up to two years in jail.

thaskalos
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Ernie Paragallo was convicted in March, in a non-jury trial, for misdemeanor animal cruelty counts. He must also pay a total of $33,000 - $1,000 a count - in fines.

"Your moral compass is out of kilter and it points you in improper directions" Judge George G. Pulver Jr. told Paragallo at his sentencing. "Your sense of integrity, your code of conduct, and your perception of right and wrong were perhaps formed by your days on either the mean streets or Wall Street."

Java Gold@TFT
05-18-2010, 04:12 PM
The judge gave him the maximum allowable under the animal cruelty laws in place. He will also have to pay restitution for the rescue and rehabilitation of all of the horses taken from the farm. That number will be significantly higher than the first $33,000.

I say - Good for the Judge. Ernie will never get another liscence anywhere in the states.

Hedevar
05-18-2010, 04:31 PM
I hope they have enough room to keep him for most of the deuce.

only11
05-18-2010, 05:44 PM
hope he meets BUBBA

Hanover1
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Anyone working on that farm that called themselves a horseperson should be held accountable as well. When its feedtime, and yer not feeding......Im just sayin.......

Cardus
05-18-2010, 06:07 PM
Ernie Paragallo was convicted in March, in a non-jury trial, for misdemeanor animal cruelty counts. He must also pay a total of $33,000 - $1,000 a count - in fines.

"Your moral compass is out of kilter and it points you in improper directions" Judge George G. Pulver Jr. told Paragallo at his sentencing. "Your sense of integrity, your code of conduct, and your perception of right and wrong were perhaps formed by your days on either the mean streets or Wall Street."

Some in the criminal justice system -- judges and attorneys, e.g. -- have used the upbringing on "mean streets" as a justification for criminal activity.

Could you imagine a judge saying this to a teenage or young black adult when issuing a maximum sentence?

Hanover1
05-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Some in the criminal justice system -- judges and attorneys, e.g. -- have used the upbringing on "mean streets" as a justification for criminal activity.

Could you imagine a judge saying this to a teenage or young black adult when issuing a maximum sentence?
Yes, I can.....

skate
05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
where's he from?

xfile
05-18-2010, 07:06 PM
He deserves to pull at least 2 yrs in miserable Greene county jail. Should have been longer.....Good for that judge - maximum

SmartyParty
05-18-2010, 07:14 PM
I saw one of his poor horses, Escaped From New York, at Old Friends. He totally deserves the maximum!

BluegrassProf
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Some in the criminal justice system -- judges and attorneys, e.g. -- have used the upbringing on "mean streets" as a justification for criminal activity.Note that there's a considerable difference between a justification and a contributing factor - the latter is referenced quite often (and accurately-so), the former, not so much.

Re: Paragallo...interesting Finley piece from a bit back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=finley_bill&id=4053915
This is horse racing, where even the very worst miscreants always seem to be welcomed back.

Grits
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
"Hate it for ya, Ernie. My heart bleeds. Since giving up abusing horses, try golf for a new hobby when you get out of the slammer. Finding a country club that'll grant you membership, though, may be a little iffy."

Cardus
05-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Note that there's a considerable difference between a justification and a contributing factor - the latter is referenced quite often (and accurately-so), the former, not so much.

Re: Paragallo...interesting Finley piece from a bit back:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/columns/story?columnist=finley_bill&id=4053915

That is a quite debatable opinion, and not hyphenated.

SmartyParty
05-18-2010, 10:32 PM
"Hate it for ya, Ernie. My heart bleeds. Since giving up abusing horses, try golf for a new hobby when you get out of the slammer. Finding a country club that'll grant you membership, though, may be a little iffy."

:)

BluegrassProf
05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
That is a quite debatable opinion, and not hyphenated.It's absolutely not opinion. Take my word for it: there's a mountain of criminological research that tell us very clearly that sociocultural environment has an enormous impact on criminal offending. It's not a justification; it's a contributing factor.

But more than anything else, it's largely off-topic. If you'd like to continue this discussion, please do so via PM; I can provide you with some excellent sources of literature and empirical research on that very issue.

This is what I do, so it's always on my mind - apologies for the derail.

Tom
05-18-2010, 11:20 PM
If this scum bag didn't get the death penalty, he got off easy.
Let's hope that he is abused and "enjoyed" by many in his new home.
Her deserves whatever he get in there..and I hope is it real baaaaad.

Garbage.

Igeteven
05-19-2010, 12:55 AM

I would have made him work at the pound for 20 years, cleaning up dog poop

Cardus
05-19-2010, 08:29 AM
It's absolutely not opinion. Take my word for it: there's a mountain of criminological research that tell us very clearly that sociocultural environment has an enormous impact on criminal offending. It's not a justification; it's a contributing factor.

But more than anything else, it's largely off-topic. If you'd like to continue this discussion, please do so via PM; I can provide you with some excellent sources of literature and empirical research on that very issue.

This is what I do, so it's always on my mind - apologies for the derail.

So I have to continue this with a PM while you take up valuable thread space with your "derail" and wave it away with an apology?

You must be a professor.

joanied
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
They didn't say where he'll do his time...anyone know? Attica would be good ...of course, they will appeal, so it may be some time before he has to check in...although, IMO, he'll not win in the appeal...I can't wait to read that he's inside...hope they give him a proper body search :eek: ...every nook & cranny:D and put him in with Big Bubba :jump:

Hedevar
05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't know where New York commits it's misdemeanants but I doubt that it is Attica. The commitment date would depend on whether the judge but a stay on commitment pending appeal which I doubt considering it was a bench trial.

joanied
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't know where New York commits it's misdemeanants but I doubt that it is Attica. The commitment date would depend on whether the judge but a stay on commitment pending appeal which I doubt considering it was a bench trial.

I was making a joke about Attica...guess I shoulda used a smiley!!

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2010, 02:30 PM
"Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa Ha!"

-Nelson Muntz

jognlope
05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
Good news. A farm up here that does a very good job was featured, taking some of his horses. They'll be fine there.

joanied
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
jog...thanks...that is good news.

Hanover1
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
He needs to go to the Ozwald State Correctional Facility and be placed in the pod of Adibizzi.......

joanied
05-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Hanover1...that's a great idea:ThmbUp: ...too bad Hannibal Lecter isn't around...they could share some Chianti :D

xfile
05-20-2010, 07:04 AM
Some good news to come from all of this.....
"Paragallo sentenced while a former horse, EscapedfromNewYork, enjoys his freedom at Old Friends"

http://www.examiner.com/x-43823-Lexington-Horse-Racing-Examiner~y2010m5d19-Paragallo-sentenced-while-a-former-horse-EscapedfromNewYork-enjoys-his-freedom-at-Old-Friends (http://www.examiner.com/x-43823-Lexington-Horse-Racing-Examiner%7Ey2010m5d19-Paragallo-sentenced-while-a-former-horse-EscapedfromNewYork-enjoys-his-freedom-at-Old-Friends)

lamboguy
05-20-2010, 07:21 AM
they took earnie out of the courthouse in handcuffs. he will be in jail until the judge rules whether he will be set free on appeal. that is pretty standard procedure for a violent crime like this one, and make no mistake about this one, it was a very violent and disgusting event.

if he did the same thing to humans he would have got 10 times more time.

i have no idea how sentences are structured in new york, but my guess would be that he would be inside for at least 10 months. he can do his time in disgrace for what he has done, and i don't think that the other state prisoners care for his type of behavior. i would suspect that they would treat him as if he was a child abuser.

xfile
05-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Strangely a lot of convicts have a soft spot for animals, women and children and really hate abusers. We can only hope he gets confronted by one of these that knows of him and who he is. I hope a prisoner steals his food until his bones show through his skin - the scumbag.

thaskalos
05-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Strangely a lot of convicts have a soft spot for animals, women and children and really hate abusers. We can only hope he gets confronted by one of these that knows of him and who he is. I hope a prisoner steals his food until his bones show through his skin - the scumbag. Judging by the looks of him...that will take a while...