PDA

View Full Version : Local Gov't sticking it to me today!

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 11:58 AM
So back in January i got a $142 dollar ticket for talking on my cell phone while driving, which here in the police state of Oregon is against the law. So back in February the court said if i wanted to take a $30 safe driving class then they would reschedule my court date for a formality kind of thing where i come in, present the certificate and they wave the ticket.

So they send me my court date in march for this procedure and it's scheduled for today, May 18th at 130pm. so i call them to reschedule and they said that i couldnt reschedule since this was already the reschedule.

i wanted to reschedule cause today is my 30th birthday. I am convinced they are just trying to screw with me LOL

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Get over it. This a good law. I wish we had here in Nebraska. I have been hit twice by some goof who can't let his phone to voice mail. A freind was badly hurt by some real estate agent talking on his cell while driving. Pay your fine and start paying attention to your driving instead of trying do 2 thing at once. Trust me, they still serve beer after 1:30 pm.

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Get over it. This a good law. I wish we had here in Nebraska. I have been hit twice by some goof who can't let his phone to voice mail. A freind was badly hurt by some real estate agent talking on his cell while driving. Pay your fine and start paying attention to your driving instead of trying do 2 thing at once. Trust me, they still serve beer after 1:30 pm.

it was more of a light hearted joke griping about the court date, i agree the law is actually a good thing. unfortunately it hasnt stopped much talking on the phone while driving, every day i see tons of people still doing it

boxcar
05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
it was more of a light hearted joke griping about the court date, i agree the law is actually a good thing. unfortunately it hasnt stopped much talking on the phone while driving, every day i see tons of people still doing it

I predict that cell phone usage will cause more car accidents and deaths than all the substance abuse cases put together. Heck...it might be the case now.

Boxcar

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
I predict that cell phone usage will cause more car accidents and deaths than all the substance abuse cases put together. Heck...it might be the case now.

Boxcar

i think your on the ball with that statement (did i just agree with Boxcar??:) )

at the class i took the cop said that what he noticed most about people driving and talking was that they often took wider turns and missed their lane and that making lane changes they often dont check their blind spot as much.

boxcar
05-18-2010, 12:41 PM
i think your on the ball with that statement (did i just agree with Boxcar??:) )

Better late than never. :D

Boxcar

NJ Stinks
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
The big 3-0!! :eek:

Happy Birthday, Jballscalls! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
happy birthday from me too.
eat, drink, and be merry.:)

boxcar
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
You're over the hill now, JB. You're on the big slide...but even so, enjoy the day and the ride. :D

Boxcar

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
You're over the hill now, JB. You're on the big slide...but even so, enjoy the day and the ride. :D

Boxcar

my uncle just emailed me and told me i'm old enough to be a conservative now LOL

boxcar
05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
my uncle just emailed me and told me i'm old enough to be a conservative now LOL

Let's put it this way: You should know better by now to not subscribe to liberal ideology. ;)

Boxcar

DJofSD
05-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree. It's a good law. Having almost been in two accidents when cell phone talkers either ran a stop sign or a red light, I say "hang up and drive."

DJofSD
05-18-2010, 02:32 PM

at the class i took the cop said that what he noticed most about people driving and talking was that they often took wider turns and missed their lane and that making lane changes they often dont check their blind spot as much.
I've seen that plus driving too slowly and not even looking into their mirrors before changing lanes and not using a turn indicator.

DJofSD
05-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Yes, happy B-day, and please, either pull off the road or let it go to voice mail. You'll have a better chance of seeing BD #31.

Tom
05-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Happy Birthday to you.
Welcome to the Dark Side....(30 and over)

That creaking you hear will just be your knees.
Oh, and the term Golden Years will soon have new meaning to you.
Dr. Seuss on the Golden Years:

I cannot see, I cannot pee

I cannot chew, I cannot screw

My memory shrinks, My hearing stinks

No sense of smell, I look like hell

My body's drooping, Have trouble pooping

The Golden Years have come at last

The Golden Years can kiss my ass!

DJofSD
05-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the reincarnated Lenny Bruce and Ted Giesel in a single body.

:3x: :ThmbUp:

hazzardm
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Happy Birthday outlaw

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM
judge let me off the ticket cause i took a safe driving class, i had a fun panic attack sitting in court today as well, big fun! :)

JustRalph
05-18-2010, 06:00 PM
It's a stupid law. More people crash eating hamburgers than do talking on cell phones........... Texting is different.

it is unnecessary. There are already laws on the books for "inattentive driving" the reason these laws are passed is to increase revenue. They see you on the phone, you have no defense. Automatic ticket, fine.

If you are eating a hamburger and swerving all over the road nothing is automatic.

I am for the no texting laws........ those are real problems. Especially with kids.

HUSKER55
05-19-2010, 01:37 AM
THEY have hands free phones for cars. you see them advertised all the time.

Have no clue how expensive the units are.

lsbets
05-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Eating, drinking, smoking, changing the station on the radio - lots of things are going to distract a bad driver. All these laws do is criminalize one more thing that people do on a daily basis, because the only way government can truly control the populace is by making us all criminals. It is sad to see so many people on here willing to give the police state more power because it makes them feel good about something. :ThmbDown:

JustRalph
04-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Report: Main factor in distracted driving deaths not phones, it's getting lost in thought

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/04/main-factor-in-distracted-driving-deaths-not-phones-its-gettin/

johnhannibalsmith
04-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Report: Main factor in distracted driving deaths not phones, it's getting lost in thought

Good old thread by the way. Jason was always pretty good spirited while also spirited.

"I was distracted."

"By what?"

"My thoughts."

"Blow on this until I say stop. No, the other little tube maam."

Is that really distracted driving? Isn't that just inattentiveness? Can they ban thinking? :D

mostpost
04-06-2013, 01:19 AM
It's a stupid law. More people crash eating hamburgers than do talking on cell phones........... Texting is different.

it is unnecessary. There are already laws on the books for "inattentive driving" the reason these laws are passed is to increase revenue. They see you on the phone, you have no defense. Automatic ticket, fine.

If you are eating a hamburger and swerving all over the road nothing is automatic.

I am for the no texting laws........ those are real problems. Especially with kids.
You are absolutely correct. From various sources I learned the following. In 1992 there were 11M Cell phone users in the United States. That same year there was 1.75 traffic fatalities for every one hundred million vehicle miles traveled. In 2012 there were 327 million cell phones in use. In 2012 there were 1.16 traffic fatalities for every one hundred million vehicle miles traveled, The number of cell phones increased 29 fold while the number of fatalities per million VMT dropped by a third.

Certain people will have accidents because they are incapable of concentrating on their driving, whether they are phoning or eating or applying makeup or doing nothing but driving. Others can talk on the phone or eat without a problem. I would draw the line a applying makeup or texting. I agree with you on that.

The difference is texting etc. requires you to remove your eyes from the road.
You use your ears and your mouth to carry on a phone conversation. Your eyes are not involved.

Someone will say that the problem is holding the phone in one hand and driving with the other. I do not see that as a problem as long as you use two hands while making a turn. With power steering it is easy to maneuver a car in most traffic situations. When I see a driver staring ahead with her hands in the classic ten o'clock-two o'clock position, I get away from her as fast as I can.

rastajenk
04-06-2013, 06:26 AM
You use your ears and your mouth to carry on a phone conversation. Your eyes are not involved.
Your brain is...or it should be.

BlueShoe
04-06-2013, 09:30 AM
While usually opposed to the nannyism that has swept the nation, on cell phones and texting bans I agree with. Every study I have ever seen states that for all practical purposes, driving while talking or texting is like driving while dead drunk. Disclaimer; must admit that on this issue I am very biased. Have an absolute hatred of cellphones, and do not own or use one. On a few occasions have come very close to getting in a brawl with a boorish user of these fiendish electronic leashes. Imo, they are a huge invasion of privacy and are a device used to control others from afar.

Tom
04-06-2013, 10:28 AM

[/url]

Ah, a republican problem.
Some here are breathing a sigh of relief today! :lol:

Tom
04-06-2013, 10:30 AM

Ironic you have to explain it to him!

mostpost
04-06-2013, 11:59 AM
My brain is very capable of multitasking.

Tom
04-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Yes, I can attest to that.
I have seen him be wrong about several things at once before.