PDA

View Full Version : NYRA calls Belmont meet in jeopardy

Grits
05-17-2010, 09:54 PM
This is troubling, particularly when viewing price increases at Belmont, as opposed to the gouging of Churchill.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113038.html

The last time the Belmont did not have either the Kentucky Derby or Preakness winner was 2006. A crowd of 61,168 attended the race, won by Jazil. Total handle was $81.4 million.
In 2006, grandstand admission was $5 and clubhouse admission was $10. Now, those prices are $10 and $20, respectively. Seats for the 2006 Belmont ranged in price from $40 to $300. This year, seats range in prices from $45 to $350. The most dramatic increase in the last five years is seats in the preferred grandstand that were $100 in 2006 now cost $120.

thespaah
05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
This is troubling, particularly when viewing price increases at Belmont, as opposed to the gouging of Churchill.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113038.html

The last time the Belmont did not have either the Kentucky Derby or Preakness winner was 2006. A crowd of 61,168 attended the race, won by Jazil. Total handle was $81.4 million.
In 2006, grandstand admission was $5 and clubhouse admission was $10. Now, those prices are $10 and $20, respectively. Seats for the 2006 Belmont ranged in price from $40 to $300. This year, seats range in prices from $45 to $350. The most dramatic increase in the last five years is seats in the preferred grandstand that were $100 in 2006 now cost $120.
NYRA needs to ratchet down those prices and market the heck out the Belmont Stakes Day program. They need to do whatever they can to get people in there.
For the remainder of the meet, lower admission prices. Grandstand should be free and Clubhouse reduced as well. Parking should be free for those who arrive before the first race, then $1 after then. I know the unions reprsenting the admissions and parking people will complain because their hours will be cut ,but tough sh!t. Everybody has to make sacrifices.
Hopefully, the weather will cooperate.

Tom
05-17-2010, 10:29 PM
Sure looks like gouging to me.
I would never pay those prices.
I bitch about the $3 to get into Saratoga.
I'm from FL, where parking and admission are always FREE!
And, we had funny Cide, too.....just a little later than Belmont did! :rolleyes::D

Robert Goren
05-17-2010, 11:48 PM
NYRA needs to cut its purses. They should have a long time ago. If you are not getting the handle, then you have cut expenses. Purses are their biggest expense. The horses running there have long ago stopped being of the quality that would make people want to bet on them. 5 and 6 horse fields of bottom claimers do deserve the purse money being. NYRA long ago like most race track managements caved to the horse people at the expense of the gamblers. JMO

Dahoss9698
05-17-2010, 11:52 PM
NYRA needs to cut its purses. They should have a long time ago. If you are not getting the handle, then you have cut expenses. Purses are their biggest expense. The horses running there have long ago stopped being of the quality that would make people want to bet on them. 5 and 6 horse fields of bottom claimers do deserve the purse money being. NYRA long ago like most race track managements caved to the horse people at the expense of the gamblers. JMO

How close to you pay attention to NYRA? They did cut purses and some stakes this year. That said, they still have quality racing.

Hanover1
05-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Seems a part of a larger problem, as you pointed out in another thread. Cutting purses may well further lower the quality of racing?

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 12:15 AM
Seems a part of a larger problem, as you pointed out in another thread. Cutting purses may well further lower the quality of racing? Well, they obvious haven't cut enough. They have to find the point where handle will support the purses. I know that the lower the purses the lower the quality of races and then there is a lower handle. But there is point they the lines meet. They aren't there yet or they would be losing money hand over fist. Anybody who thinks expanded gambling is the answer is dead wrong. It merely drain off more gamblers from betting on horses and we end up with bunch tracks like Penn National where nobody gives a rat's ass about the racing going on there. JMO

thespaah
05-18-2010, 07:49 AM
Well, they obvious haven't cut enough. They have to find the point where handle will support the purses. I know that the lower the purses the lower the quality of races and then there is a lower handle. But there is point they the lines meet. They aren't there yet or they would be losing money hand over fist. Anybody who thinks expanded gambling is the answer is dead wrong. It merely drain off more gamblers from betting on horses and we end up with bunch tracks like Penn National where nobody gives a rat's ass about the racing going on there. JMO
Ok...Here we go. It's already much more difficult for NYRA to compete with the soon to be inflated purse structures in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
If NYRA were to lower purses still, just what will that accomplish?
It may buy them a few more days of racing but at the end of the day horsemen are going to go where the money is loyalty to NY racing be damned.
Lowering purses only compounds the problem.

pat
05-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Parking is already free

sandpit
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
How close to you pay attention to NYRA? They did cut purses and some stakes this year. That said, they still have quality racing.

The quality of NYRA racing has gone steadily downhill in the last 5 years...there are more NY breds and beaten claimers run there than ever before...it is an illusion that the quality is as good as it used to be. Same thing for Keeneland. If you look at Keeneland's programs from 10-15 years ago, you will see one or maybe 2 claiming races per day. Now they have at least four and sometimes a beaten claimer, which NEVER existed there until recently. Churchill is now running beaten claimers on the grass, for God's sake. When you consider that the CD workout rule states that no maidens or non-stakes nominated horses will be allowed to work on the grass, then they turn around and let low-level races go on it, it speaks volume about the decline of quality.

This is an overall problem, not just NYRA's.

Grits
05-18-2010, 09:51 AM
This is NOT good and it would be a true travesty for racing.

More from the Times Union Monday edition:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=932128

About those reserved tables under the tent . . . . . . prayer may be in order!

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Ok...Here we go. It's already much more difficult for NYRA to compete with the soon to be inflated purse structures in Delaware and Pennsylvania.
If NYRA were to lower purses still, just what will that accomplish?
It may buy them a few more days of racing but at the end of the day horsemen are going to go where the money is loyalty to NY racing be damned.
Lowering purses only compounds the problem. They can get horses, maybe not quality they have now. The problem is not getting horses, but getting gamblers. I have never seen more dis respect for the better than I have seen from the NY horsemen. I am still smarting from that boycott by horsemen last winter over slots. Never miss a chance to spit in the face of the better. Go run run at one of those racinos and see how you are treated there. Move your stable to Penn National if you think the grass is greener there. JMO

badcompany
05-18-2010, 10:17 AM
This is NOT good and it would be a true travesty for racing.

More from the Times Union Monday edition:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=932128

About those reserved tables under the tent . . . . . . prayer may be in order!

It's Deja Vu all over again. Didn't we just hear these same threats from OTB?

"We're gonna shut down!"

"We're not kidding!"

"We really mean it"

"Don't test us!!"

"You'll be sorry!"

"Goodbye, cruel world!"

Of course, when these threats were met with a collective "Who gives a rat's ass," OTB's tone changed a bit.

"Okay, if you're gonna be like that, we'll stay open for another year"

Cardus
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Another incomplete piece of journalism.

It would take one sentence to explain properly the following:

"NYRA's $350 seat is for the both the spring and fall meets, not only for Belmont Stakes Day."

People who purchase the $350 "Seasonal Seating Package" have that seat -- which looks out onto the finish line (literally) -- for every weekend and holiday for both the spring and fall meets.

Also, when there is a Triple Crown on the line, the seats in the "Package" are golden seats that fetch a lot more than $350... and that is for Belmont Stakes Day only.

For instance, in 2004, a couple paid $1500 for a pair of seats one row behind me in the Preferred Grandstand, Section 3J.

Tom
05-18-2010, 11:26 AM
.....and this time, I MEAN it! :rolleyes:

Come on down to Finger Lakes.
We got racing....the only thing is, your NYB Allowance horses....out here we call them $4,000 claimers. Other than that, we pay purse money and would welcome you all. Might even fire up the barby under our big tent.

Let me know about Toga...I can get us tables under the tent if they cancel.
BillW, that is less driving for you! :D

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
To say that racing has gone down hill is an understatement. When I first started betting, a 4 yo mdn could not get a stall at any track worth its salt.

Dahoss9698
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
The quality of NYRA racing has gone steadily downhill in the last 5 years...there are more NY breds and beaten claimers run there than ever before...it is an illusion that the quality is as good as it used to be. Same thing for Keeneland. If you look at Keeneland's programs from 10-15 years ago, you will see one or maybe 2 claiming races per day. Now they have at least four and sometimes a beaten claimer, which NEVER existed there until recently. Churchill is now running beaten claimers on the grass, for God's sake. When you consider that the CD workout rule states that no maidens or non-stakes nominated horses will be allowed to work on the grass, then they turn around and let low-level races go on it, it speaks volume about the decline of quality.

This is an overall problem, not just NYRA's.

Agreed. The quality of all racing has gone down in the last 5 years. But, compared to other meets, NYRA still has "quality" racing. Look at Penn National. They have really strong purses right now and bottom level claimers running for the purses.

Grits
05-18-2010, 04:19 PM
With three of the only nine thoroughbred tracks built and running in the U.S. prior to 1906 in New York, it would be devastating to see this sport suffer such a loss. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think the New York Assemblymen will allow this to happen. I can't believe with concerted joint effort this will come to pass.

ANY DAY watching New York racing at either of their tracks simply beats the quality of most other racing throughout the country. Lord knows, I don't want to see it go away.

So, please, stay at the table, boys. Stay until somebody gets it in gear, and gets it right. The new deal at Monmouth hasn't been a concern before and it may prove to be your worst nightmare. Its a stone's throw down I-95, and should give reason for damn close examination of every single entity involved with the product.

On another thought, TLG, ask 'em to add .50 Trifectas to the NY cards. They keep bettors under the signer radar. Anything to help the bettor. Plus, the newbie's glow at winning a big one--tri, pick 4, etc and having to sign would dim when he/she realizes it better be included on his/her tax filing.

For instance, in 2004, a couple paid $1500 for a pair of seats one row behind me in the Preferred Grandstand, Section 3J.

Cardus, the couple in their $1500 seats with their outstanding panoramic view, how'd they do when they saw Birdstone comin',

steadily . . . gaining . . . gaining . . . well . . . we remember how that one ended. Lord, it was tough. Next couple of years with Afleet Alex and Jazil were good too. Still, fine weeks of racing. In '07 when Rags beat out Curlin though--man, what a run between the two, every cent paid for those preferred grandstand finish line seats for mom and myself were worth it. It was one of the most fun weeks I've ever spent at Belmont. Having her with me everyday, and her loving racing at 77 years old, made it all the better.

Grits
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57088/paterson-says-nyra-will-get-state-bailout

YES! (Upon looking for Ernie's sentence, I discover first.)

State officials in New York have agreed on one point that they will not let the New York Racing Association shut down after the Belmont Stakes (gr. I) or for the Saratoga summer meet. How exactly the racing group, which is running out of money, will stay afloat is still the sticking point. "That’s not going to happen," Gov. David Paterson said May 18 of a looming NYRA shutdown.

Including:

Further, NYRA officials argue that the state--because it now owns NYCOTB--is on the hook for the money owed NYRA by the OTB giant. NYCOTB, in its Chapter 9 bankruptcy filing, acknowledges a $15 million debt to NYRA; officials at NYRA have said that amount has since grown to $17 million. "NYRA has a good case for the money," Pretlow said. "OTB is the state and OTB owes NYRA, ergo, the state owes NYRA."

tzipi
05-18-2010, 04:45 PM
The government bailed out NYRA to the tune of 17 million this afternoon to save Saratoga and racing for now. One thing I don't get and I could be wrong. Doesn't the state owe 20 or 30 million to NYRA for the VLT machine hold up and doesn't the state(NYCOTB) owe the industry somewhere around 75-100 million?

thespaah
05-18-2010, 05:16 PM
Parking is already freeok..

thespaah
05-18-2010, 05:26 PM
They can get horses, maybe not quality they have now. The problem is not getting horses, but getting gamblers. I have never seen more dis respect for the better than I have seen from the NY horsemen. I am still smarting from that boycott by horsemen last winter over slots. Never miss a chance to spit in the face of the better. Go run run at one of those racinos and see how you are treated there. Move your stable to Penn National if you think the grass is greener there. JMO
It has always been that way. Horsement have alwys looked upon berttors with contempt. Why? Not for business reasons, but on a personal level. To be fair though, some bettors hold the same contempt for trainers and jocketys as well...Every time they lose a bet.
There is along standing animosity from horsement toward bettors. It is what it is.
What confuses me is ,I think some horsemen think they can earn a living without the wagering on races. Well where in Sam Hill do these people (horsemen) think the money for purses comes from? The sky?

Cardus
05-18-2010, 05:39 PM
With three of the only nine thoroughbred tracks built and running in the U.S. prior to 1906 in New York, it would be devastating to see this sport suffer such a loss. Of course, I could be wrong, but I don't think the New York Assemblymen will allow this to happen. I can't believe with concerted joint effort this will come to pass.

ANY DAY watching New York racing at either of their tracks simply beats the quality of most other racing throughout the country. Lord knows, I don't want to see it go away.

So, please, stay at the table, boys. Stay until somebody gets it in gear, and gets it right. The new deal at Monmouth hasn't been a concern before and it may prove to be your worst nightmare. Its a stone's throw down I-95, and should give reason for damn close examination of every single entity involved with the product.

On another thought, TLG, ask 'em to add .50 Trifectas to the NY cards. They keep bettors under the signer radar. Anything to help the bettor. Plus, the newbie's glow at winning a big one--tri, pick 4, etc and having to sign would dim when he/she realizes it better be included on his/her tax filing.

Cardus, the couple in their $1500 seats with their outstanding panoramic view, how'd they do when they saw Birdstone comin',

steadily . . . gaining . . . gaining . . . well . . . we remember how that one ended. Lord, it was tough. Next couple of years with Afleet Alex and Jazil were good too. Still, fine weeks of racing. In '07 when Rags beat out Curlin though--man, what a run between the two, every cent paid for those preferred grandstand finish line seats for mom and myself were worth it. It was one of the most fun weeks I've ever spent at Belmont. Having her with me everyday, and her loving racing at 77 years old, made it all the better.

I was too busy rooting for Birdstone to realize how said couple were doing in deep stretch.

JustRalph
05-18-2010, 05:43 PM
I am just like Paterson, I can't see it happening............

joanied
05-18-2010, 05:53 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/breaking-news/57088

No surprise, IMO. Belmont & Saratoga will continue to run!!

Grits
05-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I was too busy rooting for Birdstone to realize how said couple were doing in deep stretch.

LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:lol:

Cardus
05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
LOLOLOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL:lol:

No, I'm being straight up.

trying2win
05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
NYRA long ago like most race track managements caved to the horse people at the expense of the gamblers. JMO

RG:

I agree.

T2W
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"He who is greedy is always in want."

--Horace

trying2win
05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm guessing that NYRA'S answer to their revenue shortage, would be to hire over-priced private consultants who will suggest:

1. Raise the takeouts ontrack and at state OTBS.

2. Raise the signal fees.

3. Raise the concession prices.

4. Raise parking fees.

5. Raise seating prices.

6. Plead poverty to some sleazy New York state politicians, and tell them sob stories about if they don't get slots...they'll have to close down all the major NEW YORK thoroghbred tracks, and that would put a lot of people in the state horse racing business out of a job.

--My common sense suggestions for NYRA would be:

A. Lower the takeouts. Plus, keep the nickel breakage at all levels of payoffs. No more of the current shady progressive takeouts according to the size of the mutuel payoffs.

B. Close down all the NEW YORK state OTBS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't OTBS take an extra cut off the top of mutuel payoffs? If so, bettors don't want that. Expand their opportunities to bet NYRA tracks online, not curtail them. Horse racing fans more and more, seem to like the convenience to bet online. So why not give the customers more of what they want? Gosh, what a concept!

C. Make free live video available online in and out of NEW YORK state. Get rid of the stupid, current policies that NYRA has in place now regarding live video availability.

D. Expand the markets of their major NEW YORK thoroughbred tracks. At present, many USA ADWS haven't been able to get access to the NYRA signal. I'm sure offshore ADWS like LINK2BET would love to get the NYRA signal too. That would give NYRA many more international bettors wanting to bet their tracks.

E. Forget about slot machines. They are a curse to the poor and the naive.

--I ask you....What parts of common sense am I missing? Why can't NYRA
officials take off their blinders, and see my suggestions and many other PACE ADVANTAGE suggestions on how to improve NYRA's revenue situation?

--In my opinion, the best consultants are the customers...not private, over-paid consultants.

T2W

----------------------------------------------------------------------
~"Common sense is the knack of seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

--C.E. Stowe

Tom
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM
What needs to happen is NYCOTB needs to be FORCED to lie up to it's legal responsibilities to pay it's debts to both NYRA and the breeders. OTB should be prohibited from taking ANY out of state signals until they pay local debts. OTB is nothing but a leech and it's CEO is a thief who must be fired.

Now, gtting NY to do anything that makes sense......You'll see peace in the Middle East long before that happens. NY is run by morons and crooks. There is nothing about NY that makes any sense at all.

NYS motto - We defy logic!

Rutgers
05-19-2010, 01:06 AM
--My common sense suggestions for NYRA would be:

A. Lower the takeouts. Plus, keep the nickel breakage at all levels of payoffs. No more of the current shady progressive takeouts according to the size of the mutuel payoffs.

B. Close down all the NEW YORK state OTBS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't OTBS take an extra cut off the top of mutuel payoffs? If so, bettors don't want that. Expand their opportunities to bet NYRA tracks online, not curtail them. Horse racing fans more and more, seem to like the convenience to bet online. So why not give the customers more of what they want? Gosh, what a concept!

C. Make free live video available online in and out of NEW YORK state. Get rid of the stupid, current policies that NYRA has in place now regarding live video availability.

D. Expand the markets of their major NEW YORK thoroughbred tracks. At present, many USA ADWS haven't been able to get access to the NYRA signal. I'm sure offshore ADWS like LINK2BET would love to get the NYRA signal too. That would give NYRA many more international bettors wanting to bet their tracks.

E. Forget about slot machines. They are a curse to the poor and the naive.

--I ask you....What parts of common sense am I missing? Why can't NYRA
officials take off their blinders, and see my suggestions and many other PACE ADVANTAGE suggestions on how to improve NYRA's revenue situation?

--In my opinion, the best consultants are the customers...not private, over-paid consultants.

Very good suggestions, but NYRA has little to no control over most of the items

A.) The takeout rates and breakage for NYRA are established by NY State law, not NYRA. When the law allowed them to lower the Pick 6 takeout on non-carryover days, they did.

BTW nickel breakage is the exception, not the rule, in the US. In order to get nickel breakage the compromise was the higher payouts would have higher breakage. In the long run it is advantageous to most horseplayers. The dime you save at lower payouts is a higher percentage of your profit then the 40 to 80 cents you lose at the higher levels. And since most players will have a lower payoff’s many times over, like a $200 win bet vs., having a $500 Pick 4 payoff for $2, the saving is even greater.

B.) NYRA would be in favor of the OTB’s closing down and taking over the operations. But they do not have that power to do that. That power lies with the State of New York.

C.) Here again it is not NYRA’s policy, but New York State law.

D.) As far as I know, all the major ADW’s (TVG, You Bet, Twinspires, all NY OTB’s, NYRAOne, NJBets, CT OTB, Phonebet) do have the NYRA signal. There are a number of reason why certain racetracks and ADW do not have agreements, and it is not always the fault of the racetrack.

E.) NYRA is owed the VLT’s and are legally entitled to them. And the VLT’s will be operated by an outside company.

Of course, the next question should be why doesn’t New York State make to the changes.

A.) The high takeout on NYRA helps the government owed/operated OTB. They were also opposed to nickel breakage, because it would hurt the OTB. (That is why the higher payoffs have higher breakage, the State wouldn’t agree to nickel breakage without it)

B.) The State won’t close the OTB, because they provide so many political patronage jobs.

C.) Here again it in place to help the OTB. Restricting the live signal, discourages people from wagering thru non-OTB ADW.

As I said before, NYRA is not perfect, but I think they do a pretty good job, especially when you factor in most politicians (and newspapers) are anti-NYRA and pro-OTB. Charlie Hayward is one of the most, if not the most, pro-horseplayer track executive. He is also a proven businessman, so I don’t think he needs to bring in a consultant. What he needs is for the state to live up to their legal obligations, and pay the $17 million from NYCOTB and name a VLT operator (in addition paying the loss VLT revenue from April 2009)

trying2win
05-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Rutgers:

Thank you for enlightening me how the sleazy, incompetent, overspending Neanderthal politicians in Albany are slowly crippling the horse racing prosperity of the NYRA tracks. What is WRONG with these #$%&!@ New York state politicians? Then the next step would be for the NYRA executives to show a little spine, and lobby these stupid Albany politicians to consider horse race player common sense ideas, to improve the NYRA financial picture.

Same goes for New York state, resident horse racing fans who like playing the NYRA tracks. I suggest to show a little initiative,and lobby the New York state politicians to change their closed-minded horse racing policies. Publicly embarrass the politicians who are overspenders and underachievers, who voted for the current horse racing policies and publicly embarrass them with with letters to the editor, for example.

Search for the odd Albany politician with common sense, when it comes to sensible horse racing policies and laud him or her. Seek out wanna bee politicians in the next state election who side with horse racing customers
with common sense ideas. Encourage friends and acquaintences to vote for them. Get out and vote. Low voter turnouts just favor the state labor unions. These unions probably huddle with tax-and-spend type state politicians to formulate strategies for the state union members to tell all their friends from other civic labor union to vote for these status quo, incompetent politicians, so they can get re-elected. Nothing will ever change as long as most of the anti-horse racing, Neantherthal New York state politicians are in power.

T2W
~"Cowards die many times before their death. The valiant never taste of death but once."

--William Shakespeare

PaceAdvantage
05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
The government bailed out NYRA to the tune of 17 million this afternoon to save Saratoga and racing for now. One thing I don't get and I could be wrong. Doesn't the state owe 20 or 30 million to NYRA for the VLT machine hold up and doesn't the state(NYCOTB) owe the industry somewhere around 75-100 million?NY State is almost as broke as California...no surprise it's not easy for them to come up with the money.

thespaah
05-19-2010, 11:21 PM
NY State is almost as broke as California...no surprise it's not easy for them to come up with the money.
There is a common thread in the "most broke" states is that they are big union, replete with political patronage, have high cost public worker salaries/pensions and have the highest rates of investigated, charged and/or convicted public official.
The New York political establishment is directly responsible for the Aqu VLT debacle.
Every powerful politician in the state was looking for "their piece" of the VLT pie.
I think the Aqu casino plans failed because there were simply too many palms to grease.

Nothing will change in the Empire State. Why? Because things have always been done this way and the citizens of NY insist on re-electing these people term after term. They have only themselves to blame.
Meanwhile the NY State govt continues to allow a potentially very valuable piece of real estate go to waste.

Robert Goren
05-19-2010, 11:25 PM
If NY politicians had any guts they would repeal the VLT law and make NYRA do what is need to save NY racing. This dream of VLT is only postponing the inevitable. The stopping dreaming of ever getting VLT money get to work of make NY racing able stand on its own two feet. JMO

slewis
05-20-2010, 12:09 AM
There is a common thread in the "most broke" states is that they are big union, replete with political patronage, have high cost public worker salaries/pensions and have the highest rates of investigated, charged and/or convicted public official.
The New York political establishment is directly responsible for the Aqu VLT debacle.
Every powerful politician in the state was looking for "their piece" of the VLT pie.
I think the Aqu casino plans failed because there were simply too many palms to grease.

Nothing will change in the Empire State. Why? Because things have always been done this way and the citizens of NY insist on re-electing these people term after term. They have only themselves to blame.
Meanwhile the NY State govt continues to allow a potentially very valuable piece of real estate go to waste.

Do you mean a guy like Michael Bloomberg?

How's about we elect Charles Haywood as Governor and force in Hal Handel as Assembly Speaker.:lol:

Then we'll have Maidens running for $150,000..... and Gr3 races will be minimum of 3 mil...:lol:

You lot are clueless.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2010, 12:11 AM
You lot are clueless.I think you're striving to be named the "ddog of the horse racing section" with this classic put down....

slewis
05-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Rutgers:

Thank you for enlightening me how the sleazy, incompetent, overspending Neanderthal politicians in Albany are slowly crippling the horse racing prosperity of the NYRA tracks. What is WRONG with these #$%&!@ New York state politicians? Then the next step would be for the NYRA executives to show a little spine, and lobby these stupid Albany politicians to consider horse race player common sense ideas, to improve the NYRA financial picture.

Same goes for New York state, resident horse racing fans who like playing the NYRA tracks. I suggest to show a little initiative,and lobby the New York state politicians to change their closed-minded horse racing policies. Publicly embarrass the politicians who are overspenders and underachievers, who voted for the current horse racing policies and publicly embarrass them with with letters to the editor, for example.

Search for the odd Albany politician with common sense, when it comes to sensible horse racing policies and laud him or her. Seek out wanna bee politicians in the next state election who side with horse racing customers
with common sense ideas. Encourage friends and acquaintences to vote for them. Get out and vote. Low voter turnouts just favor the state labor unions. These unions probably huddle with tax-and-spend type state politicians to formulate strategies for the state union members to tell all their friends from other civic labor union to vote for these status quo, incompetent politicians, so they can get re-elected. Nothing will ever change as long as most of the anti-horse racing, Neantherthal New York state politicians are in power.

T2W
~"Cowards die many times before their death. The valiant never taste of death but once."

--William Shakespeare

You forgot the part how we should lobby Albany to have the Iditerod race start on Broadway (with artificial snow shipped in and paid for with the proceeds from the VLT's) directly to Canada,through your backyard and straight to Alaska.

Amazing how someone from Edmonton thinks he knows how the politics of the greatest state in the union works.

slewis
05-20-2010, 12:31 AM
I think you're striving to be named the "ddog of the horse racing section" with this classic put down....

At least YOU realize PA that there are more important things to fill budget holes with then NYRA woes.

The State needs to step in and provide enough capital to get through this BUT only after careful audit to see where the money already given NYRA has gone.

This is precisely why Moyers arguements on previous threads regarding privatizing NY racing were ridiculous. Any privitization would be tied to VLT's.

WOW, that's good for racing...like a private entity is REALLY interested in the racing aspect of the deal. Racing in NY would surely die a slow death.
But I'll tell you what...

Put in VLT's and start running Maiden races for $80,000 and you'll piss off Albany like you've never seen before....

With the fiscal woes of this State, that whole franchise agreement should be scrapped, and if VLT's are installed monies are to go for Capital improvements ONLY and purses raised REASONABLY over a 5 yr period... And dont site the Monmouth experiment as an arguement like "we need to run $80,000 NW1 to compete with NJ".....mark my words and remember this thread... that experiment will be, for the most part, a big failure.
I predict by September the Handle at Monmouth will be up less than 15% and Kulina will be saying, "well, we tried".

Slots are not the answer to racings woes.

Robert Goren
05-20-2010, 03:49 AM
At least YOU realize PA that there are more important things to fill budget holes with then NYRA woes.

The State needs to step in and provide enough capital to get through this BUT only after careful audit to see where the money already given NYRA has gone.

This is precisely why Moyers arguements on previous threads regarding privatizing NY racing were ridiculous. Any privitization would be tied to VLT's.

WOW, that's good for racing...like a private entity is REALLY interested in the racing aspect of the deal. Racing in NY would surely die a slow death.

Put in VLT's and start running Maiden races for $80,000 and you'll piss off Albany like you've never seen before....

With the fiscal woes of this State, that whole franchise agreement should be scrapped, and if VLT's are installed monies are to go for Capital improvements ONLY and purses raised REASONABLY over a 5 yr period... And dont site the Monmouth experiment as an arguement like "we need to run $80,000 NW1 to compete with NJ".....mark my words and remember this thread... that experiment will be, for the most part, a big failure.
I predict by September the Handle at Monmouth will be up less than 15% and Kulina will be saying, "well, we tried".

Slots are not the answer to racings woes. A voice of reason calling out from the darkness.

Tom
05-20-2010, 07:36 AM
You forgot the part how we should lobby Albany to have the Iditerod race start on Broadway

All these years I thought it was called the Ididadog.

PhantomOnTour
05-20-2010, 09:40 AM
All these years I thought it was called the Ididadog.
Iditarod? I always called it the Idiot-trod.

onefast99
05-20-2010, 09:59 AM

Slots are not the answer to racings woes.
I am sure it is safe to say that by the Monday following the Haskell we will know if this is the future of racing in NJ or its demise. If it is the future Kulina will not be part of it.

PaceAdvantage
05-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Iditarod?Wasn't this Kate Hudson's recent claim to fame?

Stillriledup
05-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Wasn't this Kate Hudson's recent claim to fame?

:lol: