PDA

View Full Version : Perry Ouzts wins without stirrups.......

horses4courses
05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Perry Ouzts managed to stay in the saddle and boot home a winner today at River Downs after lKEREDARI (Oasis Dream [GB]) and the royally-bred SHINTOH (Giant's Causeway).

Ouzts loses irons, but finds a way to win

Veteran Perry Ouzts wins one the old-fashioned way (Courtesy of John Englehardt/River Downs)
Jockey Perry Ouzts pulled a new trick out of his helmet at River Downs on Monday. The 55-year-old veteran was astride 6-5 favorite EASTER ARRIVAL (Brolly) in the 2ND race, and as the starting gate broke open, so did the buckle that holds his iron attached to the saddle on his right side.

For about a sixteenth of a mile he rode with one boot dangling and the other in his right iron.

"It was really awkward, and I was afraid the horse might get out, so I just took my other boot out of the irons," said Ouzts, who is riding at River Downs for the 37th season.

With his legs holding him to the horse, Ouzts moved quickly from fourth to first around the sloppy far turn.

"When we straightened out in the lane I told him, 'Don't give up on me now -- we've come too far this way not to win it now,'" the rider recalled. "I started diggin' in with my boot heels and he took off!"

Easter Arrival drove past the finish line 1 3/4 lengths in front of the second-place horse in the maiden claimer.

When Ouzts returned to the winner's circle, he was greeted by fans shaking their heads.

"What's in store next week, you gonna ride one backwards?" shouted one onlooker.

"I'm turning you in to the stewards for impersonating an Indian," Clerk of Scales Felix Chavez jested.

After weighing out, Ouzts posed for photos with students from the Butler Tech Equine Science Program, in his hand he held a $100 dollar bill.

"Dale Shade, the trainer gave this to me after the race," said Ouzts. "He said thanks for the extra effort."

A winner of 22 riding titles at River Downs and more than 5,200 career victories, Ouzts is currently the leading jockey, with his nearest rival 21 wins behind him.

JustRalph
05-17-2010, 09:44 PM
I think he is older than 55...... I was watching him ride at Beulah park when I was in Junior high school........and I am over 50 now.......I am gonna look for the replay somewhere..........

Hedevar
05-18-2010, 08:41 AM
I think he is older than 55...... I was watching him ride at Beulah park when I was in Junior high school........and I am over 50 now.......I am gonna look for the replay somewhere..........

I agree that Ouzts is older. I remember seeing him win races at Sportsman's 40 years ago. Regardless what he did was pretty cool.

jballscalls
05-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I got to meet Perry when i was at River and he was very nice. getting to call his 5000th win was certainly special for me, the guy is a class act