freeneasy
07-26-2003, 02:25 PM
andy had the hammer today boy

Dave Schwartz
07-26-2003, 05:35 PM
Beyer link, bad?

karlskorner
07-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Sorry about that, it was there this morning when I posted, guess DRF can't wait for Reno people. Try this

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/sports/columns/beyerandrew/

andicap
07-26-2003, 06:47 PM
The movie has been panned by most "serious" reviewers. My question is: I wonder how people who never read the book feel about the film.
Films rarely to justice to their books and undoubtedly most of us will feel the same way.

The number of films I have seen that equalled or surpassed the books I can count on one hand:

Godfather comes to mind right away.

Pace Cap'n
07-26-2003, 08:43 PM
Not being a qualified critic or reviewer, I will nevetheless relate a few impressions of the movie, having just now returned from the late matinee.

1) Maybe there were a few empty seats, but not many. However, the average age closely resembled the demographics at the OTB.

2) Not many movies will draw applause. When War Admiral went down in defeat, cheers and clapping all around. When the movie ended (rather suddenly), a brief silence, then a good round of applause. From that, and from whispers overheard during the film, people definitely liked it.

3) No wonder the critics didn't laud it. No nudity, really foul language (no F-word), no head games, a straightforward storyline that will uplift rather than depress---what would a critic see in a film like that?

4)I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed every minute.

kenwoodall
07-27-2003, 04:31 AM
Beyer wrote a good review but at the part where he said today's racing industry should convince the public that today's horsemen are genuine he forgot to add "But if my horse loses the winner is all doped up"! ala Beyer!

betovernetcapper
07-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Did anyone else think this movie was a bit too long?

cj
07-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
Beyer link, bad?

The drf2000.com no longer works, have to use drf.com.

karlskorner
07-27-2003, 11:16 AM
www.sltrib.com/2003/Jul/07272003/arts/78646.asp

lousycapper
07-27-2003, 04:38 PM
That Mr. Beyer can't pick horses as well as he can write movie reviews. Maybe he has a new career as a movie critic?

-L.C.

Bubbles
07-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Just saw it. Good flick. The casting was impeccable, especially with Tobey McGuire. You could see why some critics didn't like it, but there were probably only 5, 10 empty seats in this 110-some-seat theatre.

All in all, three out of four stars. Good plot, good casting, even a little humor. Recommended.

superfecta
07-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by andicap
The movie has been panned by most "serious" reviewers. My question is: I wonder how people who never read the book feel about the film.
Films rarely to justice to their books and undoubtedly most of us will feel the same way.

The number of films I have seen that equalled or surpassed the books I can count on one hand:

Godfather comes to mind right away. Panned? by who?Gene Siskel?He don't count ,he's dead.Most reviews are good,some say the movie is too sappy in spots,but if its true,you can only do so much with the story.But I think that has to do with the taste of the reviewer,not the story.Some knocks against it are about lack of stuff from the book,but heck if they put that stuff they left out it would be a miniseries,not a movie.And i never got the "godfather" movies or books,but thats me.This film should appeal to many types of viewer.My choice to surpass the book as a film....Forrest Gump.

andicap
07-27-2003, 10:46 PM
NY Times and WSJ both disliked it (liberals and conservatives!, although more high-brow). Not so much panned it, but said it was disappointing.

Newsweek was mixed.
I did see positive ones -- Chicago Tribune -- 4 stars.

Like I have been saying, mixed reviews.

But like I said, I'm wondering if these critics are subconsciously comparing the book to the movie. If so, they might like the film.

And oh yes, critics are wrong all the time.... a lot of them don't exactly have the "popular touch".

I remember they hated "Blues Brothers," a great, great fun film.
And "Blade Runner." another classic.

Tom
07-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Typically, the worse the review, the more I want to see it. Siskel and Egghead were pretty much a joke, unless you wanted to know who had the best popcorn-just ask butter-butt, whichever one that was.

Skanoochies
07-27-2003, 11:55 PM
My choice for the best film to outdo the book? "The Bible".

Film editing made it a lot shorter.

Skanoochies.:)

andicap
07-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Speaking of the film,
"The Bible" you ever see Mel Brooks' "History of the World, Part I" where he's Moses on the mount.

"I have here 15 Commandmants (crash!!) -- 10 Commandmants!!"

BTW, George Vecsey the sports columnist in the NY Times gave "SeaBiscuit" a rave review. I see why the critics didn't like it.
Someone wrote today the film got generally positive reviews although some critics called it "overally sentimental."

Critics HATE sentimental movies. The public, however, loves them.
Some of the greatest films ever can be called sentimental. Nothing wrong with that.

Can't wait to see the film now -- (laid up this weekend with a little minor surgery and with a 4 yr old it's tough to get to the movies).

Observer
07-29-2003, 11:14 AM
Okay .. saw the movie now, without having yet read the book .. can you believe it .. think I'm one of a handful not to have read the book ..

Anyway .. while I did really like the movie .. no matter the poetic license they've used in telling the story .. and it will become part of my collection when it is released on DVD .. I unfortunately did find some things that do bug me (what an idiot, I am!). I just can't help it .. being a racing enthusiast .. some of these things just hit me without my looking for them.

But, I refuse to get into detail .. don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

andicap
07-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Hollywood is ALWAYS going to use dramatic license in changing things or making things incorrect. That's just the way it works and that will never ever change.

Sure its great when they get all the details right but
you just have to realize that all movies are fiction even those based on real events. Look at all those "biographies" Hollywood does --

I bet Seabiscuit had better marks than most other films based on an actual events.

Word of mouth seems to be very strong. I predict a strong 2nd week at the box office since there doesn't seem to be a strong new adult-skewed film opening this weekend.

Observer
07-29-2003, 02:01 PM
andicap,

Like I said, I like the movie .. my problems with it have nothing to do with the "Hollywood" making of the story, and what may or may not have been accurate according to history.

What I am referring to are things that my eye caught naturally .. things that just kind of hit me funny that lots of other people are not going to pick up on .. things that I am not going to get into in a public forum.

But again, let me stress, I understand the Hollywood part of making a movie .. I'm fine with that .. this has nothing to do with that. And I did say that before .. "no matter the poetic license they've used in telling the story .. " and I even went on to call myself an idiot for my eye catching these certain things .. and I was not looking to find things .. it just happened.

Show Me the Wire
07-29-2003, 02:03 PM
You mean like safety rails?

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Observer
07-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Alright, I'm not that much of a pain-in-the-ass to think they'd go and rip out the safety rails .. so no, that wasn't what got to me .. but stuff stort of along those lines .. definitely not script related.