PDA

View Full Version : kicking a field goal is harder than hitting a mlb fastball!

Zippy Chippy
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM
If you put 1000 random guys up against CC sebathia I'm sure some of them would get lucky and get some hits. Anyone ever go stand at the 35 yard line and see how far a 45 yard FG is? I consider myself a very good athlete. A couple of us went to the football field to kick fgs. It was impossible. Even extra points weren't gimmies. These guys make it look easy.. if you've never looked at a field goal from the kickers perspective I suggest you go take a look. You will appreciate it

cj's dad
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't know what you're smokin, but I can tell you for a fact that most decent high school soccer players can kick a 35-40 yd. field goal with not a big problem but couldn't hit a major league 90 mph fastball or minor league 80 MPH fastball for that matter with any consistency.

In high school, our freshman varsity star soccer player consistemtly hit 40 yarders (while playing varsity football) in games and practice. He was a complete nerd who would have cried if he had to face one of the schools better pitchers that routinely threw in the 80-90's.

cj
05-18-2010, 08:15 PM
It really just depends on what you have done in your life. I personally would have a lot better chance of hitting a fastball than I would of kicking a 45 yard field goal. However, with some practice at doing both, that would almost assuredly change.

Dave Schwartz
05-18-2010, 08:16 PM
It was the curve ball that ruined me.

cj's dad
05-18-2010, 08:28 PM

At age 17, I had a tryout w/ the Chi. White Sox in Easton Md.

I didn't realize how really average I was until that Saturday.

Baseball - has to be the toughest sport of them all.

JustRalph
05-18-2010, 08:29 PM

This was my problem too........

I had a coach who pitched for the Pirates for two years and came back to teaching and would every once in a while take the mound and give it to us at full speed. And he was a mediocre MLB pitcher for two years. It was hard as hell to stay in against that 85mph curve that starts out right at your head...and drops across the plate so easily for him............ tough to do.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/pics/john_morlan_autograph.jpg

cj's dad
05-18-2010, 08:42 PM
I was a freshman at a private Catholic High School in Towson Md. spring of "63 and tried out for baseball. We had to bat against the pitchers who were also trying out or who had played the years before as it was one big tryout. The coaches decided at what level you played if in fact you made the team(s) either Varsity or Junior Varsity.

I remember having at one point to bat against Dave Boswell, who later went on a a stellar career with the Minnesota Twins. The year before, the same school produced Phil Linz, who played for the NYY.

BTW- Boswell was a pr--k, but he could really bring it; and he could hit it a ton also.

Jay Trotter
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
cjd, as you said to Zippy "I don't know what you're smokin"! That's laughable! :lol:

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 11:24 PM
I think the average High School baseball player has no chance of hitting a 90 mph fast ball. there quite a few high school kickers who if given enough trys might get a 35 yd fg. Of course the real atheletes are Big time race car drivers. I know everyone says they could drive arround a race track at 200 mph. But could they do it in bumber to bumber traffic with every other car being driven by some crazy fool who loves to change lanes every time there is hood length opening. JMO

cj
05-19-2010, 12:11 AM
I think the average High School baseball player has no chance of hitting a 90 mph fast ball. there quite a few high school kickers who if given enough trys might get a 35 yd fg. Of course the real atheletes are Big time race car drivers. I know everyone says they could drive arround a race track at 200 mph. But could they do it in bumber to bumber traffic with every other car being driven by some crazy fool who loves to change lanes every time there is hood length opening. JMO

That isn't true in Oklahoma about baseball. These kids can play, and kids that throw 90 get hit.

dav4463
05-19-2010, 12:24 AM
We used to go to the football practice field and kick field goals. We played a game where we started with an extra point. We were allowed two tries. If successful, you backed up 5 yards until someone missed two in a row.

You are right! Extra points are a chore for me! I did get lucky once with a tailwind and I barely got a 45 yard FG over the crossbar with a barefoot kick!

Usually I missed both from 35 yards. I could usually hit one of my 30 yard kicks.

We used a holder made out of plastic pipe. It was a triangle and we could set the ball under it. It made a great holder and kept us from kicking each other!

It is technique. I notice NFL kicker's non-kicking leg ends up even with the ball or even goes past the ball. I can't do that! My left leg always ended up behind the ball. That's why I have no power.

Robert Goren
05-19-2010, 12:52 AM
That isn't true in Oklahoma about baseball. These kids can play, and kids that throw 90 get hit. Then they could step into double A ball because most players at the level have trouble with 90 mph fast ball. Of course they don't see a lot them because the pitchers who can throw one for a strike are at Triple A.

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2010, 01:57 AM
Hitting a 90 mph fastball is not THAT difficult once you get past the fear factor. And make no mistake - there IS a fear factor.

But once you get used to leaning in on pitches like that it is "just" a matter of connecting.

The breaking ball is the great equalizer. It prevents you from hitting the fastball with weight shift alone. You are forced to keep your "hands back" to be able to adjust to the off-speed.

Please do not misunderstand... I am not stating this as if I could do it. Like the guy in the other thread who spoke about umpiring, I, too, did a lot of that. I went to the Brinkman's school and graduated high enough to get a pro job but realized I was never going to follow through.

However, I did do a lot of Div I ball living in SoCal in the early '80s. I SAW a lot of 90 mph fastballs, but only low 90s. That was plenty fast enough for me - even behind the plate.

Funny story - The first time I ever saw a 90 mph was in an amateur baseball league game. The Orange County Amateur Baseball Association - OCABA - played some pretty good baseball. They had more than a handful of ex-major leaguers. The league president for years was Whitey Lockman.

On any given weekend, you would be amazed at just how many former MLB journeymen would show up to play. Of course, pitching was always the weak spot - because anybody who still had an arm was pitching professionally somewhere.

Hey, CJ's Dad - Remember Dave Skaggs? Must have been either 1982 or 1983 he comes out to play for one of the OCABA teams. Hits 8 homeruns in a double header. Yeah, the pitching was nothing like the major leagues.

Okay - my first game with a REAL 90 mph pitcher. Johnny Urrea, former San Diego pitcher was on the mound. He had hurt his arm and was trying to make a comeback after being released. I don't believe he ever did.

So, Johnny throws an honest-to-goodness 93 mph with just huge backspin on the ball. Normally the ball loses speed and gravity causes it to drop a little as it reaches the plate. But with Urrea's fastball, it just fights gravity all the way to the catcher's glove, giving the appearance of actually rising at the end. It does not rise, but it looks that way.

To make matters worse, everything John throws is just right at the knees. I mean, every pitch is between 1/2" low and 1/2" into the strike zone on the low end. And, of course, on a corner.

It was a nightmare of a game - my timing was off - and I was quick-calling everything. No joke... I must have missed 25 pitches by the 5th inning. One or two is normal. Worst game of my life. He was frustrated with me but a gentleman nonetheless.

LOL - A few weeks later, in the lesser league I played in, Urrea comes into to pitch against me. He made me look absolutely silly. I was just glad he didn't hit me. Believe me, intimidation is a factor. (I'd say I deserved it.)

Boy, I could tell you stories... problem is I think I'd be the only one interested. Like the time we were playing at Woodrow Wilson H.S. in Long Beach. Jeff Burroughs came out to play during the winter with us. (He went to WWHS I think but was playing with SEA at the time.) Anyway, he hit a rainmaker pop-up to left-center field. This ball left the school yard and landed on the opposite corner.

LOL - We were all so impressed that we stopped the game and paced it off to see how far it was. Just thinking about this made me Google-earth it.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/Burrough'sShot.png

At the time the determination was that it was about 700' but looking at the map to scale, I'd say more like 600'. I think the road was not as wide back then, but what do I know? I remembered a service station on the corner.

Sorry if I bored anyone, but those were fun times.

Marshall Bennett
05-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Try hitting a knuckleball tossed into a headwind . :)

cj's dad
05-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Yeah, he was pretty bad, but at least he played in the bigs.

Me, I couldn't get out of Easton, Md. except to come home.

6furlongs
05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I saw a fan kick a field goal of 50 yards to win a million dollars at a CFL game.
I doubt this same man was going to make contact with any major league fastball.

cj's dad
05-19-2010, 10:54 AM

And almost all others Dave.

Brooks Robinson, remember him ;) , when he was doing color commentary for the O's back when, always spoke of the difficulty of catching up with "uncle charley". He worked and worked on hitting the curve ball until he claimed that he was better cb hitter than a fast ball hitter.

You may however remember him more for his fielding than for his hitting.

Robert Goren
05-19-2010, 12:56 PM
When a player first gets to the majors he gets a steady diet of fastball till he proves he can it. Then they try the curve. There are plenty of players in the majors who have trouble with a curve, but there is nobody there who can't nail an 88 mph fastball. The guys who throw a 95 mph fastball for a strike pitch in the ninth. Nobody can hit them.

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
When a player first gets to the majors he gets a steady diet of fastball till he proves he can it. Then they try the curve. There are plenty of players in the majors who have trouble with a curve, but there is nobody there who can't nail an 88 mph fastball. The guys who throw a 95 mph fastball for a strike pitch in the ninth. Nobody can hit them.

LOL - Can't argue with that.

I recall one particular Saturday lunch with the Yankees at the Sheraton in Anaheim after a Friday night game. Several of the Yankees - Rick Cerrone was the ringleader, I think - were having a good laugh at the expense of the Angels.

Gossage had come in to close out the 8th and 9th and had faced maybe 5 hitters (I use the term "hitters" loosely.) The general theme at the plate was I want to get back to the dugout as quickly as possible without getting clobbered. I recall that DeCinces, Grich and Baylor just went up to the plate, took their three swings and sat down.

Gossage was just terrifying. That ball traveled so fast and every once in awhile it would "slip" away from him. When it "slipped" you were getting hit. There was just no time to get out of the way. And when you got hit, it would hurt. A lot.

As I recall, he was reputed to throw as hard as 105. That is a really big number.

BTW, as I recall, Gossage didn't laugh. But then, he never laughed. Rarely smiled. Kind of like Big John. Big, bad John.

Every mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive
He stood six foot six and weighed 2-45
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John

Dave Schwartz
05-19-2010, 01:17 PM
... which of course makes me think of Ryne Duren. At least I think in was him. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Coke bottle glasses. Story goes that he came out to the mound in relief once, took one pitch which landed halfway up the backstop and said, "I'm ready."

:lol: :lol:

PS: CJ's Dad, Yeah, I think I remember him. :rolleyes:

nomadpat
05-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I say kicking a FG is a lot easier. I have kicked a 45 yard one in my 30s. (grew up playing soccer) The problem is doing it when the defense is trying to block it. As far as hitting hitting a mlb fastball, I stand no chance. The height of my glory was a double in little league. :D and that was because of sticking the bat out at the right time, not due to swinging prowess

Marshall Bennett
05-19-2010, 03:29 PM
A batter's doubt about a pitcher's control often elevates the effectiveness of that pitcher's fastball . J.R. Richard often had the fear of God in batter's , especially early on in his career , when he was quite wild with a fastball often approaching 100 mph . On the other hand , Ferguson Jenkins had pin-point control . He seldom issued walks or hit anyone , had a great fastball , but often lead the league giving up gopher balls .

only11
05-19-2010, 06:02 PM
At age 17, I had a tryout w/ the Chi. White Sox in Easton Md.

I didn't realize how really average I was until that Saturday.

Baseball,tennis,golf..hardest sports to play..all indivisual sports..try hitting a federe serve at 125mph,,,try hitting a fastball at 90 plus that may change eye level,and try hittin a golf ball period..

cj's dad
05-19-2010, 07:19 PM
... which of course makes me think of Ryne Duren. At least I think in was him. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Coke bottle glasses. Story goes that he came out to the mound in relief once, took one pitch which landed halfway up the backstop and said, "I'm ready."

PS: CJ's Dad, Yeah, I think I remember him. :rolleyes:

It was duren - he did it purposely ti intimidate the hitters.

BTW- Gossage didn't intimidate George Brett in the 1980 playoffs. GB hit one of his 95+ fastballs into the 3rd deck at Yankee stadium leading to a 3-0 KC Royals sweep of the ALCS

ElKabong
05-19-2010, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=Dave Schwartz]... which of course makes me think of Ryne Duren. At least I think in was him. Please correct me if I am wrong.

A buddy told a good Duran story. Said on a GAME OF THE WEEK on CBS, Duran had been brushed back at the plate. He went to the mound the next inning and when the pitcher (or maybe the catcher) came up to the plate, Duran took off his glasses and put them in his back pocket.

The batter protested to the ump, ump told him to get in the batters box....and got plunked hard.

Don't know if it's true, but it's up there with the Roseboro/ Marichal thing if it is.

ElKabong
05-19-2010, 07:41 PM
A batter's doubt about a pitcher's control often elevates the effectiveness of that pitcher's fastball . J.R. Richard often had the fear of God in batter's , especially early on in his career , when he was quite wild with a fastball often approaching 100 mph . On the other hand , Ferguson Jenkins had pin-point control . He seldom issued walks or hit anyone , had a great fastball , but often lead the league giving up gopher balls .

When Fergie played here he always said he didn't mind challenging hitters w/ a 2 run lead or more w/ the bases cleared. Lot of his gopher balls were in that situation. He figured he'd get outs 9 outta ten times in that scenario & the odds were on his side.

He was special.

Speaking of JR.....Nolan Ryan was another "wild" pitcher, when he was with Calif...nobody dug in on him-- pure fear.

witchdoctor
05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Speaking of JR.....Nolan Ryan was another "wild" pitcher, when he was with Calif...nobody dug in on him-- pure fear.

I remember in college the Astros rotation was JR Richards was #1 and Nolan Ryan was #3. Who did they have separating those 2. Another 20 game winner named Joe Niekro. How about that to screw up your timing?

Marshall Bennett
05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I remember in college the Astros rotation was JR Richards was #1 and Nolan Ryan was #3. Who did they have separating those 2. Another 20 game winner named Joe Niekro. How about that to screw up your timing?
Bob Kneper followed Ryan to slow the pace again with his Jamie Moyer style of pitching . Ashame the Astros didn't have the hitting to complement this outstanding rotation . They did well , even made it to the playoffs , but what could have been .

Canarsie
05-20-2010, 02:26 PM
If your talking uncontested I'm 58 and could still nail 8 out 10 extra points. But I kicked when I was a teenager and it was a natural for me. I even did it barefoot and punted that way too. :lol: Now if your talking with 22 guys on the field that's a whole new ballgame it would be very tough.

One time when I was living in Opa Locka (close to Hialeah) we played a game at Miami Dade College North I drilled a 35 yarder right through the uprights. A coach saw me and offered a scholarship which I declined. I was a dummy more interested in drugs and girls back then. :bang:

There is nothing harder to do then hit a baseball. It's the only MAJOR pro sport (except hockey) where you usually start on the bottom rung and work your way up.

Valuist
05-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Then they could step into double A ball because most players at the level have trouble with 90 mph fast ball. Of course they don't see a lot them because the pitchers who can throw one for a strike are at Triple A.

I seen quite a few A league games and most of those guys can hit a straight 90 MPH fastball. Now a 90 plus MPH fastball WITH movement, that's a different story. I think any hitter would rather face a 90 MPH fastball than an 84 MPH slider.

cj's dad
08-14-2012, 01:42 PM
I mentioned earlier in this thread that he and I went to the same high school though he was a senior and I was a freshman. I received the school newsletter yesterday and saw that he passed away June 11th this year ay age 67.

Pretty decent career by today's standards:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bosweda01.shtml

Valuist
08-14-2012, 03:18 PM
I have seen high school players hit field goals from beyond 50 yards. I don't think Bryce Harper, as a high schooler, would've hit CC Sabathia.

Bettowin
08-14-2012, 03:49 PM
I have seen high school players hit field goals from beyond 50 yards. I don't think Bryce Harper, as a high schooler, would've hit CC Sabathia.

Bryce Harper as a high schooler would have definitely hit CC. Probably even taking him deep once in about 100 tries. After his sophmore year of high school and batting around .600 he left for JUCO so he could face better competition.

cj
08-14-2012, 03:53 PM

A fastball? Sure he could have, and so could many others. There are kids throwing as hard as CC in high school.

Bettowin
08-14-2012, 03:54 PM
A fastball? Sure he could have, and so could many others. There are kids throwing as hard as CC in high school.

Every year we have kids come right out of high school and hit 90+mph fastballs at Wichita State. Sorry to say many of them are from Oklahoma:)

thaskalos
08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I can hit a 90 mph fastball...and I am 50 years old. :cool:

Those who say that the hardest thing to do in sports is to hit a baseball, should try covering a fleet-footed wide receiver...when you don't even know the route that he is running.

Valuist
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Bryce Harper as a high schooler would have definitely hit CC. Probably even taking him deep once in about 100 tries. After his sophmore year of high school and batting around .600 he left for JUCO so he could face better competition.

Harper was in high school 3 years ago. So now after minor league at bats last year and major league at bats this year he's hitting a whopping .251. He's also a LH hitter. There may be MLB pitchers he could've hit hard 3 years ago but I doubt a tough left hander like CC.

Also, there's a HUGE difference between hitting a 90 MPH pitch and one in the mid to upper 90s. I played in HS and hit 90 MPH pitchers. We had a guy on our team who could hit 94-95 on the gun, made it to Triple A before blowing out his arm. The ball absolutely exploded late. Fortunately never had to face him in a game.

Bettowin
08-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Harper was in high school 3 years ago. So now after minor league at bats last year and major league at bats this year he's hitting a whopping .251. He's also a LH hitter. There may be MLB pitchers he could've hit hard 3 years ago but I doubt a tough left hander like CC.

Also, there's a HUGE difference between hitting a 90 MPH pitch and one in the mid to upper 90s. I played in HS and hit 90 MPH pitchers. We had a guy on our team who could hit 94-95 on the gun, made it to Triple A before blowing out his arm. The ball absolutely exploded late. Fortunately never had to face him in a game.

No need to keep arguing this but you are saying you could hit a 90mph fastball in high school and Bryce couldn't hit one in the mid 90's? I am not saying he would have bit .300 against CC but he would definitely been able to hit him and I'll stand by the fact that he would have been able to hit a home run off him not just a stick out the bat blooper.

BlueShoe
08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Amusing reading these posts about being able to hit a fastball. Time does march on, and being a realist, my days of being able to hit a pitch thrown by any good pitcher ended decades ago. Today I would probably strike out on three pitches when coming up to bat for the first time in a Senior Men's slow pitch softball game.:D But give me a little time to get back in shape, practice a bit, and who knows? But that it where it would end, slow pitch softball. Still had a not-too-bad outside shot on the basketball court the last time I played, but that is another topic.

Dave Schwartz
08-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a t-shirt that says:

"Old guys Rule."

Under that it says:

"The older I get the better I was."

I think that is highly applicable to this thread. (Including me.)

:lol:

Valuist
08-14-2012, 06:02 PM
No need to keep arguing this but you are saying you could hit a 90mph fastball in high school and Bryce couldn't hit one in the mid 90's? I am not saying he would have bit .300 against CC but he would definitely been able to hit him and I'll stand by the fact that he would have been able to hit a home run off him not just a stick out the bat blooper.

I never said I hit a major league pitcher (actually two DID make it to the majors but they were not major leaguers when I faced them). I have a friend who's son throws around 89 on the gun. He can't get a D-1 scholarship and his grades aren't holding him back. Its not that uncommon for someone to be able to throw 90 MPH. It IS uncommon for them to have movement and command as well as velocity. And a good offspeed pitch doesn't hurt. And not only is Sabathia a left hander but he throws around 3/4......would've been extremely tough for a 16 YO Harper to not bail against him.

cj
08-14-2012, 06:04 PM
And not only is Sabathia a left hander but he throws around 3/4......would've been extremely tough for a 16 YO Harper to not bail against him.

Not when you know what is coming.

Valuist
08-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Not when you know what is coming.

Unless you are stealing signs, how do you know its coming?

Are we talking about 90 MPH in a batting cage? Or from a major league pitcher who can paint the outside corner as well as brush you back?

I was a LH hitter and at the high school level, you don't see that many LH pitchers. Toughest guy I ever faced probably didn't top 80 MPH but he was a LH sidearmer. Its got to be very difficult for a LH hitter, even at the major league level, to hang in there against CC.

cj
08-14-2012, 06:51 PM
Unless you are stealing signs, how do you know its coming?

Are we talking about 90 MPH in a batting cage? Or from a major league pitcher who can paint the outside corner as well as brush you back?

I was a LH hitter and at the high school level, you don't see that many LH pitchers. Toughest guy I ever faced probably didn't top 80 MPH but he was a LH sidearmer. Its got to be very difficult for a LH hitter, even at the major league level, to hang in there against CC.

The original post said hitting a MLB fastball, which to me means you know the pitch is going to be a fastball. The original post also said kicking a field goal, not kicking one in a time crunch and having a group of 200 to 300 pound men running at you.

Bettowin
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Put together a high school all star team and pick any major league pitcher you want and I will bet you even money the pitcher won't throw a no hitter. I would set the over under on hits at 4.5 over nine innings.

High school players are pretty damn good nowadays. 30 years ago I was a hard thrower in the mid to high 80's and there were maybe 2 or 3 players in each lineup who could even catch up. Then again that was Minnesota where baseball isn't really a high priority;)

Valuist
08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Put together a high school all star team and pick any major league pitcher you want and I will bet you even money the pitcher won't throw a no hitter. I would set the over under on hits at 4.5 over nine innings.

High school players are pretty damn good nowadays. 30 years ago I was a hard thrower in the mid to high 80's and there were maybe 2 or 3 players in each lineup who could even catch up. Then again that was Minnesota where baseball isn't really a high priority;)

I agree that a high school all star team could probably get a few hits against MOST MLB pitchers, although I would probably line the O/U on hits at 2.5.

I think Ted Williams was the first to make the comment about hitting a baseball being the most difficult thing to do in sports. I assume he was talking about in an MLB game. But is it more difficult than an NHL goaltender shutting out a team with 35-40 shots on goal? Or a quarterback directing 4-5 touchdown drives against a solid NFL defense? How about a PGA golfer being able to play at a high level for more than a few years?

Funniest thing about this thread is the mention of 2 bums: John Morlan and Dave Skaggs, earlier in the thread. I remember having baseball cards of both back in the 70s.

wisconsin
08-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I could always hit well, so I tried out for the Brewers in 1980. First fastball I saw I drilled it. Did ok on those 5 or 6 pitches, some of which had to be in the 90 mph range.

Then, the coaches hollered out to see some "other" pitches. A curveball came at me as fast as the fastballs, and I ducked and buckled, and every coach there let me have it. It wound up right down the middle.

Then came the 40 yard dash. After that, we fielded fly balls. Throw to the cutoff man. No sweat. Throw all the way home. It was a perfect throw.....right back to the cutoff man again. Noodle arm, I was. Seems they were not looking for a DH. That was the end of my Major League career.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
I seen quite a few A league games and most of those guys can hit a straight 90 MPH fastball. Now a 90 plus MPH fastball WITH movement, that's a different story. I think any hitter would rather face a 90 MPH fastball than an 84 MPH slider.

Exactly. There's a world of difference between a 90 MPH ball coming out of the machine at the batting cage and a 90 MPH fastball coming from a major league pitcher who's trying to get you out. Movement is everything...if your pitch has zero movement and stays on the same plane, its much easier to hit than 90 with movement.

Stillriledup
09-10-2012, 02:33 AM

He would only have hit him if CC told him what pitch was coming. IF CC was trying to get him out, he would have gotten him out.