PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio

Valuist
05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
One of the great voices in rock history, dies today at 67. Saw him last summer in concert and he can outperform 99% of the singers half his age. RIP

skate
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
give me a song, man, i need a song. I dont know this guy.:confused:

Valuist
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Rainbow: Man on the Silver Mountain, Stargazer, Kill the King
Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell, Children of the Sea, Sign of the Southern Cross, Mob Rules
Dio: Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver, The Last in Line
Heaven and Hell: Bible Black

Bands like Sabbath and Rainbow aren't "top 40" type bands. If one listens to only top 40 radio they probably wouldn't be familiar w/much of his work.

JustRalph
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
He was a little obscure, but a real rocker.......the guy could damn sure sing a rock song.....in the heavy metal Vein.. I didn't know he was that old.....Damn! I am getting old......Dio was known for replacing Ozzie Osbourne in Blk Sabbath

vOyFE-1LAI0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_James_Dio

skate
05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes sir, the-skAte isnt much on the top/bottom 40/80.

the last top ten i recall would be "Green Door".

but hey, he's most likely in a happy place, good for him.

Tom
05-16-2010, 05:52 PM
For skate....
qgBCQ11WMg0&feature=related

michiken
05-16-2010, 07:01 PM
I followed and have loved Ronnie James Dio's music since my youth. It is sad and hard to believe that one of my most beloved rock idols has passed away! When I got out of the hospital after my recent appendix surgery, I spent days on youtube listening to Dio and Dio related songs (yes the pain medication must have helped me flashback).

Ronnie's music, stage presence and heavy metal attitude inspired me to play guitar for many years. I followed his career from Rainbow, thru Sabbath, his solo career and on. I even owned some cassettes from his early 'Elf' band days.

I was fortunate to see Dio perform live on Black Sabbath's 'Mob Rules' tour at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Only a few singers could control the crowd with their voice like Dio did that night. Even Carol (my girlfriend at that time) left the building singing the 'Heaven and Hell On and On' chorus. She HATED Sabbath before she walked in and LOVED them when she walked out! Ronnie's charismatic voice has won her over.

Dio always had the best damn guitar players in his band. Ritchie Blackmore, Tony Iommi, Vivian Campbell, Doug Aldrich to name my favorites. He created many heavy metal anthems such as Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver, The Last in Line and many more that I will listen to until I die....

RJD, thank you so much for the musical memories you have brought into my life. It is ironic that one of my favorite songs that you did was "Die Young". I hope you rest in peace whether its in 'Heaven or Hell'.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/frtJQFe9apw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/frtJQFe9apw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Valuist
05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Well put Michiken. I'm guessing we're around the same age (I was born in 1963) and I first heard Dio when he was still with Rainbow. I can't think of too many who had a more powerful voice.

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2010, 07:36 PM
'Riders in the night can take you out of sight when they call...that's all'
-RJD

michiken
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
'Riders in the night can take you out of sight when they call...that's all'-RJD One Night in the City! Brings back memories of cruising Telegraph road...

Valuist --> Born in 1961. Yes we grew up during the best music era... men liked Metal and wimps played Disco!

skate
05-16-2010, 09:13 PM
that was wild Tom

bigmack
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I see from that vid he likes to act out his lyrics with theatric gestures. I was always a big fan of that. :rolleyes:

In any event, he created the devil's horns gesture.

OK.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/images-2.jpg

cj
05-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Sad day...I first heard him when he took over for Ozzy with Sabbath, then became a huge fan when he went with Dio. Caused me to go back and listen to old Rainbow stuff and I liked him even more. Dio was actually my first concert. I saw him twice on the same tour...once Twisted Sister opened for him and once Dokken.

RaceBookJoe
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Sad news...one of my favorite rock singers ever. He came from a band called Elf...which i always found funny since he was a short guy...powerful voice though. RIP

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2010, 03:28 AM
I see from that vid he likes to act out his lyrics with theatric gestures. I was always a big fan of that. :rolleyes:

In any event, he created the devil's horns gesture.

OK.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/images-2.jpgMan, why you gotta come in and crap on us grieving metalheads like this? You're gonna lose points in my book for this one (although that little image kind of makes up for your lack of discretion... :lol: )

Come up to Saratoga this year and maybe all will be forgiven.

I was/am a metalhead through and through, especially back in the day (day being the 80s and early 90s). Although I was never a HUGE fan of RJD (but you had to respect his vocal chops), I liked him best when he was out on his own doing the Dio thing...Last In Line, Rainbow In The Dark, Holy Diver...all great stuff...

Valuist
05-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Now some crackpot hate group masquerading as a "church" plans on protesting Dio's Memorial service.

http://rockvillemag.blogspot.com/

BluegrassProf
05-23-2010, 03:42 AM
Rainbow in the Dark is like the sweet potato-standard on a metal Thanksgiving dinner.

His cameo on the Tenacious D film was a total rockgasm. Badass right to the end. :ThmbUp:

Sad, sad day.