PDA

View Full Version : NTRA chief on ESPN

Valuist
07-26-2003, 12:31 AM
I thought he could've done a better job. He made the statement "horse racing has been increasing in popularity for the past 3-4 years," at which point Bob Ley interrogated him; "How do you know," he asked Smith. At this point I was fully expecting Smith to quote wagering and/or attendance numbers. Instead he quoted some lame survey on ESPN.com and talked about the TV ratings of one particular horse race (the Belmont; a race in which a horse was trying for the Triple Crown). He never even mentioned the wagering aspect; yet this is the same organization that gave us the inane "Go baby go" (has ANYONE ever heard someone mention that phrase at the track?) phrase.

Show Me the Wire
07-26-2003, 12:39 AM
Usually I hear owners refer to their horses as baby and the refrain sounds something like this, " come on baby(before the stretch), go baby, go baby, go baby(down the stretch). Pretty standard chant amongst the owners I am familiar with and trainers. The NTRA slogan may be a take-off of the owner mantra and that is why it does not make sense as "Go baby go".

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

Perception is reality

Valuist
07-26-2003, 12:56 AM
OK, you may hear it now, after all that advertising. But did you hear that in 1995? Or before that? I didn't.

I hear a lot of "go you f-ing 4." or "move your a$$ number 6". or (fill in jockey name) sucks!!

GameTheory
07-26-2003, 01:04 AM
"Go Baby Go" is an old cliche. Probably had a better chance of hearing it in 1955 than in 1995 though...

Tom
07-26-2003, 10:22 AM
I am always amazed at their plan to increase horse racing's popularity:

1. Use a slogan that only horsemen are familiar with
2. Advertise on horse racing TV shows.

Duh?????

Aren't these people ALREADY into racing?
How about a comercial or two during the Super Bowl.

Valuist
07-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Exactly. And lets not forget there was an increase in takeout to help subsidize this organization.

Storm Cadet
07-26-2003, 12:04 PM
Horse racing and it's parent organizations continue to use recycled people in their administrative capacities. Instead of going out to the colleges and pro teams or Universities that have SPORTS ADMINISTRATION education majors being taught how to market and manage a sports program, they use old jockeys, trainers and horsemen to continue to run things.

There are some horse syndicates that are very progressive and use marketing and promotion people in their business. You've seen some taking commercial time on TVG and ESPN's weekly shows, as well as they are always in the forfront when it comes time for insightfull commentary by news organizations because they employ a PR group that looks for the right sports. Do you think that people like Scott Lake, Zito, McPeek, and West Point thoroghbreds just were lucky to be featured on TVG's series about the 2003 yearling sales at Calder. They know doing stuff like that only helps build a business and sales and profits!

Look at NYRA...with all the new technology there is today, they have one of the most outdated web sites out there Little color, no pizaz, and they take days to get back to you. NYRA puts next to nothing onto this site. They can have up to the minute jockey changes, equipment and shoe changes, track conditions just like the tote boards at the tracks.

Churchill does a great job with their site using alot of new technology with LIVE cams; Monmouth Park in Jersey also does an excellent job because they have all that NJ Sports & Exposition $$$ and expertise from running all those sporting events at the Meadowlands (Jets, Giants, Metro Stars, Nets, to name a few)

Most of the older established places don't go to Madison Ave for advertising and marketing types to help them drum up new business and expand the sport!

DRF does have a pretty good marketing dept as evidenced by their National marketing strategies and web site (they also pay Jerry Bailey and Frankel and others for their spots). Few others do...Bris does a nice job...Thorograph is awfull when it comes to marketing itself. Their commercials are lame, you have to wait till the end to find out who they are talking about.

Beyond that, look at Churchill and what they are doing to renovate the facility. It will be great! I had the opprtunity to visit San Anita and Gulfstream the past year while on business trips! Both places were great and updated with restrooms, food service and sililar amenities up to date! Have any of you EVER seen the sad state of the insides of Aqueduct or Belmont. Brutal. I was shocked to see how bad office space, supports systems, press rooms, and the such are...major sports franchises don't put up with that outdated garbage. Maybe with the new slots, NYRA will put some $$$ into their facilities and come into the 21st century!