PDA

View Full Version : NHL Playoffs could not be Better

skate
05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Classic match with (puck control) two teams, Chic./San Jose.

And Two, never say die teams, Phil;./Mont.

Ratings should go sky high.

I'm seeing a Hawks vs Flyers final.

Rise Over Run
05-16-2010, 02:55 PM
Ratings should go sky high.

Yes, I anticipate viewership to increase 25%, from 4 to 5 households. :lol: :lol:

ldiatone
05-16-2010, 04:44 PM
i'll give it up to the flyers this year skate, down 3-0 & win the round. last time done......NYI vrs PGH. ed westfall scored the game winner 1-0 game 7.

headhawg
05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
Yes, I anticipate viewership to increase 25%, from 4 to 5 households. :lol: :lol:You're hilarious. :rolleyes: Probably a soccer fan...

You'd change your tune if you understood the game. Tell me that baseball or the NBA is more exciting than the Sharks-Blackhawks game that's on now.

skate
05-16-2010, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=headhawg]You're hilarious. :rolleyes: Probably a soccer fan...

:lol:

Here i thought he/she was making cookies today:confused:

Greyfox
05-16-2010, 05:43 PM
The games are great.
Unfortunately ice sports in the summer don't cut it for me.
Dragging on into June is just too much when I could be barbequing, or whatever.

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 06:14 PM
The games are great.
Unfortunately ice sports in the summer don't cut it for me.
Dragging on into June is just too much when I could be barbequing, or whatever.

ala basketball :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: :sleeping::sleeping:

Rise Over Run
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
You'd change your tune if you understood the game. Tell me that baseball or the NBA is more exciting than the Sharks-Blackhawks game that's on now.

I've watched hockey for years and played in a men's league for 4 years in the late 90's. I understand the game and the passion the fans have for it. Hockey is infinitely more exciting than any MLb or NBA game.

The point is that the majority of Americans do not choose to watch hockey. The NHL had it's chance in the early 90's but failed. ESPN gave up on the sport and now it's relegated to a channel that the majority of people don't get. It doesn't matter which teams are in the finals or how they got there, NHL is a 3rd tier sport in the USA. Deal with it.

skate
05-16-2010, 09:00 PM
rise?

using a lot of swill... to which i should say, what the hell is your point.

OH oh oh , i get it, what ever the talker heads tell you , bingo, that's you.

How childish, take your time. I'm between periods.

:kiss:

Rise Over Run
05-16-2010, 09:43 PM
rise?

using a lot of swill... to which i should say, what the hell is your point.

OH oh oh , i get it, what ever the talker heads tell you , bingo, that's you.

How childish, take your time. I'm between periods.

:kiss:

OK.

+ I have no clue what "using a lot of swill" means

+ It doesn't matter how many people want to jump up and down and tell you how great a game professional hockey is.
Whether it's playing or viewing; mainstream America has never caught on, and never will. The NHL had it's chance 15+ yrs ago, and it didn't happen. Don't take it personal, it's a great game. ;)

AZWrobel
05-16-2010, 11:12 PM
The lockout a few years back is what hurt the NHL. Prior to that the NHl had TV deals with the ESPN networks and Fox. I have a feeling ESPN may end up getting a deal done soon with the NHL to get these games back on a network that everyone can see. The San Jose/Chicago game was incredible today. One of the best hockey games I have seen and I think the public is starting to catch on more and more to the excitement that the NHL...(especially the playoffs) brings.

Pace Cap'n
05-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Hockey on TV has never caught on because it is almost impossible to see the puck on a regular TV set. HDTV makes is somewhat easier to follow the puck, but it's probably too late at this point.

skate
05-18-2010, 04:52 PM
a few years back they had a chip in the puck, which let the Tv follow the puck, while using a lite to indicate the puck.

Teams had complaints, they removed chip.

then i heasrd, they were looking into another way to indicate the puc movement, didnt happen.

What i do find to be very good about the game is the fact that just ONE goal means so much, that in itself (to me) makes NHL a good game.
To have action on Hockey (to me) is more exciting than NFL or NBA (for sure), but about the same for a horse race with action.

I doubt that the flyers will win tonite, but should take the series.

skate
05-18-2010, 06:48 PM
OK.

+ I have no clue what "using a lot of swill" means

+ It doesn't matter how many people want to jump up and down and tell you how great a game professional hockey is.
Whether it's playing or viewing; mainstream America has never caught on, and never will. The NHL had it's chance 15+ yrs ago, and it didn't happen. Don't take it personal, it's a great game. ;)

Ok ok ok, i sure see your point.

And i aint going "no" place, but mainstream America, seems to me, is the "one" on the way out.

Most likely an age thing here, but music, tv, movies etc. is the swill, not seen that way by most, but...

headhawg
05-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Blackhawks sweep the Sharks. Outstanding goaltending by Niemi. Back in the Stanly Cup Finals. Finally. Hooray! Go 'Hawks!

Valuist
05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
The Hawks have gotten better with each series. They really seem to be peaking and playing with a lot of confidence.

Steve 'StatMan'
05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
What a great turn around. Blackhawks got Rocky Wirtz in charge instead of his father, who kept the home games off of TV for decades, now the fans can see the game, and plenty more are interested in paying to go see the games live! The Chicago market finally got better for the NHL. They brought in talented young players, got a lot of advice from Jacques Lamaire, and a bunch more good things, and turned themselves into one heckofa hockey team! Now I don't people talking about the Blackhaws instead of our minor league Chicago Wolves (several championships, home games on cable TV, play in Allstate Arena in suburban Rosemont - formerly the Horizon.)

1st time in Stanley Cup Finals since around 1970-1971. Last Stanley Cup win was like 1960-1961-ish. So I may get to see them win one in my fully congiative lifetime! (I musta been 2 or 3 the last time they won it.)

Valuist
05-23-2010, 10:09 PM
I can't believe the fan/public turnaround in 2 years. NOBODY cared about the Hawks before last year.

skate
05-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Woo, i can't believe it's been since '71 for the Hawks.

Sure look good for now.

Space Monkey
05-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Good for the Hawks. Long time between drinks for the team and their fans.

I'm wondering how many here can say they went to a professional hockey game before plexiglass, when they used chicken wire to protect the fans. I can vaguely remember my Dad taking me to the old Rhode Island Auditorium to see the Rhode Island Reds play. Chicken wire, thick cigar smoke, and I got to see Eddie Giacomin play goal.

Count me in with those that can't understand why hockey hasn't caught on bigtime, nationwide. Hockey is awesome on HD. You can easily follow the puck and modern camera technology gives you great views of all the goals. Unlike the NBA, hockey players play the full 60 minutes. If they don't skate hard from their first shift to their last, they will find themselves either on their back or on the bench. Nothing beats playoff hockey for sustained action. I know people get set in their ways, but with most households owning Hd TV's nowadays, hockey should show more of a resurgence. Isn't it the #1 or #2 leader in Olympic ratings? Why do all those Olympic viewers give up on the NHL?

ceejay
05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/05/22/cap-crunched-blackhawks-motivated-to-win-now/ The Chicago Blackhawks, one win away from a spot in the Finals, have incentive beyond the ultimate of winning the Stanley Cup. Although the foundation of young stars Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane will be around for the long haul, this team will not stay whole for next season.

The Blackhawks have a massive, well-documented salary cap problem. The team is locked in to expensive, long-term contracts with veterans like defenseman Brian Campbell and forward Marian Hossa. Toews, Kane and Norris Trophy finalist Duncan Keith were rewarded with long-term deals this season, and the Blackhawks chose to focus on a championship this season. They will worry about next season, in their perfect world, after a Stanley Cup parade.

That doesn't mean the players are not fully aware of the situation....

Robert Goren
05-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Good for the Hawks. Long time between drinks for the team and their fans.

I'm wondering how many here can say they went to a professional hockey game before plexiglass, when they used chicken wire to protect the fans. I can vaguely remember my Dad taking me to the old Rhode Island Auditorium to see the Rhode Island Reds play. Chicken wire, thick cigar smoke, and I got to see Eddie Giacomin play goal.

Count me in with those that can't understand why hockey hasn't caught on bigtime, nationwide. Hockey is awesome on HD. You can easily follow the puck and modern camera technology gives you great views of all the goals. Unlike the NBA, hockey players play the full 60 minutes. If they don't skate hard from their first shift to their last, they will find themselves either on their back or on the bench. Nothing beats playoff hockey for sustained action. I know people get set in their ways, but with most households owning Hd TV's nowadays, hockey should show more of a resurgence. Isn't it the #1 or #2 leader in Olympic ratings? Why do all those Olympic viewers give up on the NHL? That says more about the winter Olympics than it does about hockey.

rastajenk
05-25-2010, 03:21 PM
"Why do all those Olympic viewers give up on the NHL?"

Fighting and other goon tactics. That may be important to a lot of the NHL's core fans, but they're not the ones boosting Olympic ratings.

BluegrassProf
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
Once the Wings are out, it stops counting.

All yous Hawks fans can kiss my grits.

:)

(seriously..please to beat those ridiculous damned Flyers... :ThmbUp: )

Space Monkey
05-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Fighting and other goon tactics. That may be important to a lot of the NHL's core fans, but they're not the ones boosting Olympic ratings.

No, fighting is not one of the main reasons true hockey fans love the sport. I asked my dad when I was very young why they fought in hockey. He said the pure speed of the game created such hard contact that MEN felt they had to retaliate. A team also needs tough aggressive players to protect the smaller, usually more skilled teammates. If thats too much for you, then I guess you don't like football either. Players in the NFL are much more vicious than the NHL. Only they do it protected by a lot more equipment. Maybe you prefer figure skating.

Space Monkey
05-25-2010, 05:06 PM
That says more about the winter Olympics than it does about hockey

Interesting comment Robert. At first I wanted to strongly disagree, but as I thought more about it, you may have a good point. After all curling got high ratings,,lol. But you know what, at work when guys talked about what happened in the Olympics, I heard much more about hockey than any other event. I think as a nation, we are just so engrained in our preferences that there's no room left for learning a new sport. Learning is the key word. IMO we've become a mentally lazy country.

skate
05-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Once the Wings are out, it stops counting.

All yous Hawks fans can kiss my grits.

:)

(seriously..please to beat those ridiculous damned Flyers... :ThmbUp: )

Crabgrass;

Now...You know where to put da puc. In the Donut ho, where the grass dont grow.;)

Again, aint those dam flyers somethin?:eek:

skate
05-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Interesting comment Robert. At first I wanted to strongly disagree, but as I thought more about it, you may have a good point. After all curling got high ratings,,lol. But you know what, at work when guys talked about what happened in the Olympics, I heard much more about hockey than any other event. I think as a nation, we are just so engrained in our preferences that there's no room left for learning a new sport. Learning is the key word. IMO we've become a mentally lazy country.

Got that, righto.

Seems like, people want to be Indubitable with Life, so.... they watch TV.:rolleyes:

BluegrassProf
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Crabgrass;

Now...You know where to put da puc. In the Donut ho, where the grass dont grow.;)

Again, aint those dam flyers somethin?:eek:Aha! There's the Flyers fan!

Figure SOMEONE'S gotta be watchin' em... :blush:

rastajenk
05-25-2010, 09:25 PM
No, fighting is not one of the main reasons true hockey fans love the sport. I didn't say true fans, I said NHL fans. Nor did I say that that's the reason they love the sport. I said it's one reason, among others, that more casual fans prefer the Olympic version to the NHL. Big hits into the boards is one thing; duking it out in de rigeur retaliation for something that happened 15 minutes ago is another. Just my opinion. Nothing you posted comes close to refuting it.

Space Monkey
05-26-2010, 09:35 AM
No problem Ras. Sorry if I misunderstood your post. I don't believe for a second that hockey gets higher ratings in the Olympics because of the ban on fighting. You didn't address my question about the NFL. Just wondering if you're a fan. Once again since I don't know your opinion, I'll make a general statement.

I feel that a lot of the people who criticize hockey for its fighting, are OK with the late hits, eye gouging in the pile, and other assorted dirty plays that can cause serious injury to the opposing player. I will also say that while there are dirty hits in hockey too, at least they drop the gloves and settle it like men, not like the NFL players who hide behind their equipment and go back to the huddle.

dav4463
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I am a basketball fan, but the NHL playoffs are far more exciting than the NBA playoffs this year.

Space Monkey
05-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Thank you Dave :) . I'm a Celtics fan but even though they are doing so well, the games just aren't makein it. Unless they pull a Bruin :( it looks like its a Laker/C final. I don't expect Phoenix to win a game at the Staple Center. Celtics/Lakers is like Sox/Yankees to me. I'll be UP for that series!!! It won't matter if the games are bad, a Laker beatdown is all that matters.

dav4463
05-27-2010, 01:18 AM
It did get a little more interesting with the Suns playing so well in game four and now with the Boston concussions and Rasheed's back.....who knows?

I just hope the Boston Bruins aren't at the Garden rooting the Celtics on to victory! Talk about bad karma! They should just invite Bill Buckner to sing the National Anthem if they really want to take a chance!

skate
05-27-2010, 01:11 PM
cant they find a cigar butt leftover from Red? might help:)

Space Monkey
05-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I'll look for that old Red cigar butt, but I must add that Stanley threw a wild pitch, Gedman dropped a foul pop and the game was tied before Bucks bad ankles couldn't allow him to get his glove down in time. And there was a game 7 that they could have won. The fact that Billy Buck has been blamed by 99.9% of the public for that '86 defeat is one of sports biggest falisies. McNamara should never have left him in. Billy was a gold glove fielder, but if you can't bend you shouldn't be in there in the 9th inning trying to protect a lead. Millions of people know all about that play, but how many people even know Jerry McNamara was the manager and it was his stupitidy (like Grady's and Pedro) that really cost the Sox the series?

skate
05-31-2010, 01:01 PM
I am a basketball fan, but the NHL playoffs are far more exciting than the NBA playoffs this year.

this is it,dave, nice play on the money line with the flyers at plus money tonite.

this gane should make the series.;)

skate
06-04-2010, 06:47 PM
OK babe, game four looks to be the Flyers.

At 2-1 overall the Hawks are up, but i suspect the Flyers will win series.:eek:

headhawg
06-04-2010, 10:13 PM
OK babe, game four looks to be the Flyers.

At 2-1 overall the Hawks are up, but i suspect the Flyers will win series.:eek:Uh..no. If the refs would call the games fairly this series would be over tonight. The 'Hawks have had such a disparity in penalities against throughout these playoffs it's ludicrous. Tonight, Pronger slashes Sharp and Doc Emeric says that Versus is still trying to find Sharp's retaliation slash on replay that resulted in a penalty. The Flyers were the second most penalized team in the league. This is a friggin' joke.

AZWrobel
06-05-2010, 03:03 AM
Uh..no. If the refs would call the games fairly this series would be over tonight. The 'Hawks have had such a disparity in penalities against throughout these playoffs it's ludicrous. Tonight, Pronger slashes Sharp and Doc Emeric says that Versus is still trying to find Sharp's retaliation slash on replay that resulted in a penalty. The Flyers were the second most penalized team in the league. This is a friggin' joke.

Headhawg....that game was an absolute joke. Apparently you can't breathe on Pronger and its ok for him to cross check, trip, and hook. He is the Michael Jordan of Hockey. He gets away with murder. Sharp's non-existent slash was unreal, and so was Ladd's penalty to start the game. Having said that, the Hawks have got to cut out the giveaways, and cut back on the turnovers in their own end. Philly is opportunistic and can win this series if the Hawks don't clean it up. I think Chicago comes with their best effort on Sunday.

Rookies
06-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Geez , was Kate Smith 100 when she originally suited up in the Spectrum ? :lol:

No brainer combo for Philly in a do-die situation: Smith and the young Hart with GBA!:)