PDA

View Full Version : Alan Goldberg-money machine

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2010, 11:30 AM
If you follow New York racing closely like myself you've got to love what trainer Alan Goldberg is doing lately (we will get to his Pimlico exploits in a minute). Here's what the old boy has sent out at the current Belmont meet:

Fit---3rd at 13-1
Straight Story--2nd at 4-5
Clear Out--5th at 7-1 (1st time starter)
Stormy Dixie--2nd at 10-1
Humble Song--1st at 19-1
Silver King--6th at 7-1
Talike Me--2nd at 9-1
Out Post--1st at 7-1

**I may be mistaken, but all of the above hadn't run since 2009 and were on turf with Angel Serpa in the irons. Also, most of them went wire to wire or attempted to do so...impressive.

Now on to Pimlico:
Preakness day Pimlico players who follow Goldberg in NY were rewarded BIG TIME last year and this year.
Social Queen won the Gr3 Gallorette last year after running a nice race in the Beaugay at AQU. Price was 9-1.
Race 2 yesterday saw Goldberg send out $14 winner Virsito, and we all know what happened in the Gr2 Dixie. Strike A Deal paid $30...
Oh yeah, both winners yesterday had been off since 2009 and went wire to wire on the turf with Ramon up. All the above mentioned runners are owned by Richard Santulli. Guess that's his main guy, but I've seen Goldberg run many for Jayeff B Stables.

Amazing stuff...anybody else notice the run this guy is on???

Robert Goren
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I was kind of hoping no one would notice this guy. I put trainers into 3 categories. What you see is what you get. You get less than what you see. Gets horses to win that you can't see. Goldberg falls into the last group. JMO

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I was kind of hoping no one would notice this guy. I put trainers into 3 categories. What you see is what you get. You get less than what you see. Gets horses to win that you can't see. Goldberg falls into the last group. JMO
Funny you mentioned that as I was debating whether or not to start this thread, but the sharp players out there have taken note already. I nailed all his Pimlico runners but kept doubting his NY runners. He wasn't getting the layoff runners last year in NY. I guess he will primarily run at Monmouth when they open. We'll see how long this continues, and I doubt he will have the same success when these runners make their 2nd start off the layoff...kind of a wedding/funeral thing.

Grits
05-16-2010, 12:51 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag, Goldberg is not a stranger to the winners circle at very nice odds. . . . . . . POT, I really, really, really wish you HAD NOT posted this information. I imagine others wish the same.

Goldberg's odds just

.:faint: TANKED!

Thank you, POT.

PhantomOnTour
05-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag, Goldberg is not a stranger to the winners circle at very nice odds. . . . . . . POT, I really, really, really wish you HAD NOT posted this information. I imagine others wish the same.

Goldberg's odds just

.:faint: TANKED!

Thank you, POT.
Get over it. His odds tank when he wins often enough. This thread will hardly affect his price...you're giving me too much credit. Do you write Steve Crist or other DRF staff when they pen similar articles about hot trainers? Litfin is in for a beating from you because he has put me on many good trainer angles....that still work today. People forget, and besides, how many layoff runners does he have? 50? How many more do you expect?
You should have let the thread die, but felt it necessary to keep it alive because you just had to scold me huh? Well thought out.

Many more excellent trainer moves exist in NY, but I will keep them to myself in the future. Trainer moves and owner combos are a pet project of mine. This is a short term thing to me. Pay attention...many more will arise.

bisket
05-16-2010, 01:43 PM
you know i saw strike a deal and thought the turf is hard this might be a good spot for him, but that horse killed a few wagers for me in the past when he seemed to have a similar set up. i sure would like to figure when this one is gonna run a good one. i knew deal was certainly capable of stepping up and winning that race, but looked past him.

offtrack
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Who exactly puts the cat into the bag in the first place?
How long do they keep it in there?
Mr. Goldberg appearantly has more than one cat.

my attempt at thread diversion...

1GCFAN
05-16-2010, 06:55 PM
:) Fortunate enough to score the tri with :8: Strike a Deal. Missed :7: Virsito when I didn't get to the track soon enough.

horses4courses
05-16-2010, 07:09 PM
"Live", under the radar, trainers are gold in this game.

There are nearly always enough players out there with reasons to bet other horses - I think your Goldberg angle is safe - unless his stats rise so high it's completely obvious.

Do you know how he has fared at Saratoga the past few years?
I can look it up before the meet starts - but it's a ways off before I start my work for for this year's meet.
I don't play much east coast racing outside of the summer, but I'll watch
Mr. Goldberg. My $20-40/race won't hurt much...... :lol:

Definitely sounds like a trainer to watch........

lamboguy
05-16-2010, 08:20 PM
"Live", under the radar, trainers are gold in this game.

There are nearly always enough players out there with reasons to bet other horses - I think your Goldberg angle is safe - unless his stats rise so high it's completely obvious.

Do you know how he has fared at Saratoga the past few years?
I can look it up before the meet starts - but it's a ways off before I start my work for for this year's meet.
I don't play much east coast racing outside of the summer, but I'll watch
Mr. Goldberg. My $20-40/race won't hurt much...... :lol:

Definitely sounds like a trainer to watch........up until the last couple of months and going back years alan goldberg would bust you every time. the better the horse looked the worse he ran. granted if you played him the last few months your pockets would be full!

Dahoss9698
05-16-2010, 09:11 PM
All the above mentioned runners are owned by Richard Santulli. Guess that's his main guy, but I've seen Goldberg run many for Jayeff B Stables.

Santulli was the managing general partner of Jayeff B.

exiles
05-16-2010, 09:12 PM
[QUOTE=PhantomOnTour]If you follow New York racing closely like myself you've got to love what trainer Alan Goldberg is doing lately (we will get to his Pimlico exploits in a minute). Here's what the old boy has sent out at the current Belmont meet:

Fit---3rd at 13-1
Humble Song--1st at 19-1
Silver King--6th at 7-1
Talike Me--2nd at 9-1
Out Post--1st at 7-1

**I may be mistaken, but all of the above hadn't run since 2009 and were on turf with Angel Serpa in the irons.

The 19/1 winner THU, was ridden by Duarte, i had the only P6 ticket for 97k. thank you Mr Goldberg .

thaskalos
05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
[QUOTE=PhantomOnTour]If you follow New York racing closely like myself you've got to love what trainer Alan Goldberg is doing lately (we will get to his Pimlico exploits in a minute). Here's what the old boy has sent out at the current Belmont meet:

Fit---3rd at 13-1
Humble Song--1st at 19-1
Silver King--6th at 7-1
Talike Me--2nd at 9-1
Out Post--1st at 7-1

**I may be mistaken, but all of the above hadn't run since 2009 and were on turf with Angel Serpa in the irons.

The 19/1 winner THU, was ridden by Duarte, i had the only P6 ticket for 97k. thank you Mr Goldberg . BRAVO!! That should pay for "the sheets" for a few years...

exiles
05-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Thank you ,Thaskale, thanks to the SHEETS i was able to single in the, the 6th and the 8th, both turf races allowing me to spread in the other legs.

NJ Stinks
05-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Fantastic score, Exiles! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

exiles
05-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Thank you NJSTINKS i lived in NJ for 30 years now I'm in VA, the only place i miss in NJ is MONMOUTH PARK.

Thanks again.

skate
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
Thank you ,Thaskale, thanks to the SHEETS i was able to single in the, the 6th and the 8th, both turf races allowing me to spread in the other legs.

HEY, nice babe.

Funny, the sheets, i dont see them anymore in Vegas.

Holiday Inn years ago had them, i know when and why they took them out.

horses4courses
05-17-2010, 05:18 PM
up until the last couple of months and going back years alan goldberg would bust you every time. the better the horse looked the worse he ran. granted if you played him the last few months your pockets would be full!

Ok.
Always interesting when sudden improvement occurs.

Improved training methods, luck, or finding a creative vet?

Did I say that?

andymays
05-17-2010, 05:26 PM
The workouts off the layoff caused me to leave him out. :bang:

No workouts after April 16th and the others were all short and slow.

andicap
05-18-2010, 04:34 AM
. Trainer moves and owner combos are a pet project of mine. This is a short term thing to me. Pay attention...many more will arise.

Phantom,
when you say "short term thing" do you mean you look for trainer moves that are working RIGHT NOW rather than going back a year or two? So you look to jump on board a bandwagon really early before the public figures it out?

If so, exactly WHEN do you start to pay attention? When a trainer has put over (or finished 2nd at high odds0 a couple of longshots in a short time? etc.

Ken Massa has done research to show those apparently profitable long-term trainer moves often don't hold up or are very volatile for various reasons. He too advises to look for the HOT trainers.

skate
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I agree with the WOs , leave him out ,but
he's got a real good (+180 days $1.58) and no other horse looks to go early.

with that said, you'd have to know the trainer.

Robert Goren
05-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Hot trainer are worth a lot. Sometimes I wonder how they do it. But that is beside the point when you are trying to cash a ticket.

Fastracehorse
05-18-2010, 04:57 PM
If you follow New York racing closely like myself you've got to love what trainer Alan Goldberg is doing lately (we will get to his Pimlico exploits in a minute). Here's what the old boy has sent out at the current Belmont meet:

Fit---3rd at 13-1
Humble Song--1st at 19-1
Silver King--6th at 7-1
Talike Me--2nd at 9-1
Out Post--1st at 7-1

**I may be mistaken, but all of the above hadn't run since 2009 and were on turf with Angel Serpa in the irons. Also, most of them went wire to wire or attempted to do so...impressive.

Now on to Pimlico:
Preakness day Pimlico players who follow Goldberg in NY were rewarded BIG TIME last year and this year.
Social Queen won the Gr3 Gallorette last year after running a nice race in the Beaugay at AQU. Price was 9-1.
Race 2 yesterday saw Goldberg send out $14 winner Virsito, and we all know what happened in the Gr2 Dixie. Strike A Deal paid $30...
Oh yeah, both winners yesterday had been off since 2009 and went wire to wire on the turf with Ramon up. All the above mentioned runners are owned by Richard Santulli. Guess that's his main guy, but I've seen Goldberg run many for Jayeff B Stables.

Amazing stuff...anybody else notice the run this guy is on???

Good racing info,

fffastt

Grits
05-18-2010, 05:38 PM
What one may find interesting, too, with a bit of digging, in addition to his list of starts in New York, though he shows 50 starts total this year with 24% wins, and 48% ITM finishes.

--is where Goldberg's horses are training?

COLTS NECK STABLES(CNS) – Colts Neck,NJ

Private training centers that bettors do not have access to are nice for trainers. And there's quite a long list of them. Can be beneficial for clocking workouts too.

http://www.thoroughbredcentral.com/tools-2/race-track-and-training-center-abbreviations/

Let's not forget, detail's everything when pointing to full disclosure.

bisket
05-18-2010, 05:57 PM

how could you realistically bet a horse with a line like that. he hasn't won a race in 2 years. that training track is probably where all the hijinks are taking place. the line of deuces and fours in 2008 at the bottom of deal's pps has about 100$ of my hard earned cash along with it :faint:

andymays
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
What one may find interesting, too, with a bit of digging, in addition to his list of starts in New York, though he shows 50 starts total this year with 24% wins, and 48% ITM finishes.

Private training centers that bettors do not have access to are nice for trainers. And there's quite a long list of them. Can be beneficial for clocking workouts too.

http://www.thoroughbredcentral.com/tools-2/race-track-and-training-center-abbreviations/

A workout pattern like that is usually put out to the public to confuse the handicappers in order to get a price and that's what happened. I don't know the connections so I don't know if it was intentional but you would think a reporter or someone would ask the trainer on the record about the layoff and the workouts. That's where someone like Christina Olivares can help quite a bit.

Dahoss9698
05-18-2010, 06:02 PM
how could you realistically bet a horse with a line like that. he hasn't won a race in 2 years. that training track is probably where all the hijinks are taking place. the line of deuces and fours in 2008 at the bottom of deal's pps has about 100$ of my hard earned cash along with it :faint:

I'm not redboarding, because I posted about betting him in the selections room. He wasn't obvious, but if he was he wouldn't have paid like he did. He caught a paceless race, for a white hot trainer and had run well off of a similar layoff in the past. There were plenty of other spots for him to run, so I took the fact they entered him there as a good sign.

andymays
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not redboarding, because I posted about betting him in the selections room. He wasn't obvious, but if he was he wouldn't have paid like he did. He caught a paceless race, for a white hot trainer and had run well off of a similar layoff in the past. There were plenty of other spots for him to run, so I took the fact they entered him there as a good sign.

Right, the flaw in my logic was that the trainer wouldn't put him in the spot if he wasn't ready. I should have used him and would have connected on a decent pick 3.

bisket
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
thanks for the rundown. everything you listed is the same reasons i've lost a bunch of cash on him.

skate
05-18-2010, 06:39 PM

If not there in person, how would you know about WOs ?