PDA

View Full Version : CA. Race Track Wars. Fab. Frank vs. Oak Tree/Del Mar/Hollywood Park

andymays
05-16-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0516-jim-murray-race-20100516,0,3564173.story

Excerpt:

If the company that runs Santa Anita can't make a deal with the nonprofit Oak Tree Racing Assn. to run its annual fall meeting at the Arcadia track, then Hollywood Park and Del Mar are prepared to offer their facilities, executives at both tracks said Saturday.

andymays
05-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Future of Breeders' Cup at Santa Anita in doubt!

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oak-tree-20100515,0,4535494.story

Excerpt:

Mills indicated that the Chapter 11 reorganization of Stronach's company was an opportunity to start over, rather than "defend the status quo, which is defending the decline of the business." As one example of that decline, he cited the 2006 California Horse Racing Board mandate that its thoroughbred tracks install synthetic racing surfaces.

"At Santa Anita, that's $25 million later," he said. "And now, nobody wants the stuff."

Robert Goren
05-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Going from bad to worse.

andymays
05-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Put up the Museums and Petting Zoos where the Tracks in California used to be and get it over with already.

This war will be interesting to follow with all the press releases tweaking one another but it's not good for racing.

Everyone thought Fabulous Frank would straighten things out for the better when he held his meetings here some months ago but instead he projected more uncertainty and doubt about the future of racing in California.

California racing was already headed in the toilet and this war could put it there permanently.

DJofSD
05-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Re-arranging the site for Oak Tree is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

And the band played on.

andymays
05-16-2010, 01:09 PM
Re-arranging the site for Oak Tree is re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

And the band played on.

That's about right. :lol:

46zilzal
05-16-2010, 01:16 PM
This bull shit is what happens when MBA's run the show and not horse people.

andymays
05-16-2010, 01:21 PM
This bull shit is what happens when MBA's run the show and not horse people.

MBA's and their Attorneys.

This is all the product of years of short sighted decisions and battles of big personalities with their big egos in California.

DJofSD
05-16-2010, 01:25 PM
I would agree.

Some think that Frankie is some kind of deus ex machina but he's part of the problem.

Hedevar
05-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I don't want to surprise anyone but it is actually possible to be a horse person and a lawyer.

DJofSD
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
You mean like Darrell Viena?

andymays
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I don't want to surprise anyone but it is actually possible to be a horse person and a lawyer.

I just had an email exchange with someone who is a horse person and a lawyer. This particular guy is an outstanding Trainer and Lawyer. :ThmbUp:

andymays
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
This just in from Jerry Jam (posted with his permisson) regarding the LA Times article:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0516-jim-murray-race-20100516,0,3564173.story

Eric:

Contrary to your story (below), neither Joe nor Jack will come forward to help Oak Tree because it is NOT in their best interests or within their control:

1) To begin with, the racing dates are NOT Oak Tree's, but the CHRB'S,

2) Del Mar will not be able to handle it because their turf course is too chewed up after their meet, not to mention their unsafe/inconsistent polycrap track which many trainers/owners will boycott this year. Also, the San Diego community can barely support the 7 week Del Mar meet. and housing accommodations for trainers/grooms/etc. will also be very difficult, not to mention extremely costly and limited for any extended race meet. Plus, I hear there are conflicts with the SD Fairgrounds schedule,

3) HP won't hold it for some of the same reasons plus the fact that Jack will never do anything for free!! Also, HP might close after their upcoming winter meet anyway so demolition of their "asbestos filled" grandstand can commence.

Stronach (has already been promised) and will get the Oak Tree dates and then essentially control CA horseracing; a fact that the CHRB is well aware of. The CHRB will NOT do anything to upset Frank as he holds all of the cards and they know it!!! Eric, this is a nice, feel good story but not reflective about what's really going on behind the scenes....

Unfortunately, Oak Tree will not continue and their dates will be taken over by Stronach, as I have stated for over 2 months...........

Jerry Jam

cj
05-16-2010, 02:33 PM
"Horse people" haven't done all that great a job either to be fair about it.

Deepsix
05-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Is there any real difference in Stronach's influence/control if Oak Tree loses the lease at Frank's track and Frank assumes those dates?? It's still Franks track either way. To my eye, as a player, I see no difference when Oak Tree is running, or when its not.

This bankruptcy is rather reminiscent of Airlines filing Chapter 11 and all contracts are voided/renegotiated, or when GM/Chrysler threaten bankruptcy and they are bailed out because of the fear of the potential impact of the bankruptcy. Within the law Frank's multi-layered organization has bailed him out once again.... with the Bankruptcy Courts blessing.

The whole racing universe is rather upside down right now.... it'll either stabilize, or it won't.

Igeteven
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
This just in from Jerry Jam (posted with his permisson) regarding the LA Times article:

Eric:

Contrary to your story (below), neither Joe nor Jack will come forward to help Oak Tree because it is NOT in their best interests or within their control:

1) To begin with, the racing dates are NOT Oak Tree's, but the CHRB'S,

2) Del Mar will not be able to handle it because their turf course is too chewed up after their meet, not to mention their unsafe/inconsistent polycrap track which many trainers/owners will boycott this year. Also, the San Diego community can barely support the 7 week Del Mar meet. and housing accommodations for trainers/grooms/etc. will also be very difficult, not to mention extremely costly and limited for any extended race meet. Plus, I hear there are conflicts with the SD Fairgrounds schedule,

3) HP won't hold it for some of the same reasons plus the fact that Jack will never do anything for free!! Also, HP might close after their upcoming winter meet anyway so demolition of their "asbestos filled" grandstand can commence.

Stronach (has already been promised) and will get the Oak Tree dates and then essentially control CA horseracing; a fact that the CHRB is well aware of. The CHRB will NOT do anything to upset Frank as he holds all of the cards and they know it!!! Eric, this is a nice, feel good story but not reflective about what's really going on behind the scenes....

Unfortunately, Oak Tree will not continue and their dates will be taken over by Stronach, as I have stated for over 2 months...........

Jerry Jam

I also predict this , Jerry are so right. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Im SO glad Del Mar is sticking with plastic surfaces, that way, i can enjoy my summer not wagering on horses and spend the profits i've made betting on natural dirt the other 9 months of the year. They've forced me to not bet their product anymore. No more synthetic for me, i won't bet one dollar anymore on this stuff, all my betting dollars will be heading to natural dirt.

DJofSD
05-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Within the law Frank's multi-layered organization has bailed him out once again.... with the Bankruptcy Courts blessing.

I read on a web site yesterday that as a result of going through BK, there are some long standing greviances being address having to do with voting rights. Franks' control of MEC has been lessened. Exactly how this effect MI and the race track operations is not yet clear to me.

Also, there are several payments each in the tens of millions of dollars being made. That has got to affect the free cash flow and how much ready cash he'll have available to him.

andymays
05-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Del Mar, Hollywood reach out to Oak Tree

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113017.html

Excerpt:

Oak Tree executive vice president Spencer Chillingworth said that Oak Tree would like to conduct its meeting at Santa Anita.
"I think my board's preference is to stay where they are," he said.

Excerpt:

"Oak Tree has done a lot of good for the industry and should have an alternative if they can't work something out with Stronach."

Del Mar's track is located on the San Diego fair grounds. The fair grounds's website lists one major event during the time that Oak Tree has racing dates, a horse show on the first weekend of October. Del Mar president Craig Fravel said Sunday that executives from his track have been in contact with Oak Tree officials in recent days.

"We'll run some projections and be helpful any way we can," he said.

Oak Tree's lease arrangement with Magna will be discussed at a California Horse Racing Board meeting at Golden Gate Fields on Thursday. The issue was already on the agenda before the lease was voided last week.

Stillriledup
05-17-2010, 05:19 PM
Del Mar, Hollywood reach out to Oak Tree

http://www.drf.com/news/article/113017.html

Excerpt:

Oak Tree executive vice president Spencer Chillingworth said that Oak Tree would like to conduct its meeting at Santa Anita.
"I think my board's preference is to stay where they are," he said.

Excerpt:

"Oak Tree has done a lot of good for the industry and should have an alternative if they can't work something out with Stronach."

Del Mar's track is located on the San Diego fair grounds. The fair grounds's website lists one major event during the time that Oak Tree has racing dates, a horse show on the first weekend of October. Del Mar president Craig Fravel said Sunday that executives from his track have been in contact with Oak Tree officials in recent days.

"We'll run some projections and be helpful any way we can," he said.

Oak Tree's lease arrangement with Magna will be discussed at a California Horse Racing Board meeting at Golden Gate Fields on Thursday. The issue was already on the agenda before the lease was voided last week.

Wouldnt that be crazy if DMR raced all thru October!

andymays
05-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Wouldnt that be crazy if DMR raced all thru October!

I have no idea how they're gonna hold this upcoming meet together for 5 days a week. There are less horses than last year and purses on certain races have been decreased.

I'm gonna be looking forward to Monmouth. They are going to kick ass this upcoming meet.

Stillriledup
05-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I have no idea how they're gonna hold this upcoming meet together for 5 days a week. There are less horses than last year and purses on certain races have been decreased.

I'm gonna be looking forward to Monmouth. They are going to kick ass this upcoming meet.

Monmouth > Del Mar.

thespaah
05-17-2010, 10:30 PM
is there some kind of mandate Oak Tree must run it's meet in the State of California?

Igeteven
05-17-2010, 10:32 PM
is there some kind of mandate Oak Tree must run it's meet in the State of California?

No, the CHRB has the last say so.

The dates can go to whom ever they please and Santa Anita is holding all the cards right now.

andymays
05-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Ron Charles Resigns as President of Santa Anita

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/05/ron-charles-resigns-as-santa-anita-president.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LAT_Sports_Blog+%28The+Fabulo us+Forum%29

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my informed opinion things are gonna get nasty in California racing.

Meanwhile, Monthmouth is getting ready to rock.

andymays
05-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Del Mar sees chance to stage Oak Tree
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/18/del-mar-sees-chance-to-stage-oak-tree/

Excerpt:

Of the developments between Oak Tree and Santa Anita, Fravel said: “It’s unfortunate a racing association that has been such a major contributor to the overall well-being of racing in Southern California for so many years has been treated this way.

“I have concerns about the future of Santa Anita but I hope that Santa Anita remains, and I feel it has to remain, the vital part of racing that it has always been.”

andymays
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
MID Affirms Support for California Racing

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57093/mid-affirms-support-for-california-racing

Excerpt:

The statement from MID, which as of April 30 assumed racetrack and wagering company assets previously owned by bankrupt Magna Entertainment, noted that actions taken by Santa Anita concerning the Oak Tree lease "have been misperceived by the California horse racing industry, including the California Horse Racing Board, the Thoroughbred Owners of California, Breeders’ Cup, trainers and breeders in California, other racetracks in California, the California fairs, and Oak Tree. We believe that our intentions have misunderstood."

DJofSD
05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
He can sing along with Eric: Please don't let me be misunderstood. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSyW7kPfMFg) (San Diego resident too).

Deepsix
05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Just the news release that you'd expect of MID, eh? Following the Thur CHRB meeting a few additional details should begin to emerge though I'd anticipate that the heavy duty machinations will be handled out of public view and we'll get them by drips and drabs.

I can't wait for the FACTS instead of the speculation.

andymays
05-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Each group has its own reporters and they speak to each other through the media instead of picking up the phone.

It's a crack up. :D

Tom
05-18-2010, 11:02 PM
Who cares about the Oak Tree meet anyway? If they run iit as the Santa Anita meet, what changes, other than they use OSA instead of SA in the PPs and screw up databases?

LottaKash
05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
California racing was already headed in the toilet and this war could put it there permanently.

The past couple of years, both the horsemen, and the tracks have sent their strong signal to the players, "they just don't care about us, and "our" part in all of this".....They are getting their just rewards now...

So, they can "KMA".....:cool:.... as, they lost me a good while ago...

best.

redshift1
05-19-2010, 01:03 AM
Who cares about the Oak Tree meet anyway? If they run iit as the Santa Anita meet, what changes, other than they use OSA instead of SA in the PPs and screw up databases?

It might shift the live feed from TVG to HRTV.

andymays
05-19-2010, 07:06 AM
Ray Paulick: A MIGHTY OAK TREE

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/paulick-report-forum-brought-to-you-by-breeders-cup-a-mighty-oak-tree/

Excerpt:

The California racing industry’s reaction to the move by MI Developments was swift and strong. Its Canadian-based management team apparently had no idea how important Oak Tree is to owners, breeders, fans and many others involved in Thoroughbred racing and breeding, not only in California but nationwide. Oak Tree—an annual fall meeting run for horsemen by horsemen–has been one of the most forward-looking, benevolent and successful racing associations in the United States.

Excerpt:

Why is Oak Tree important to California and to the racing industry?

Because we provide a lot of money to things like equine research at UC Davis. We contribute to both Northern and Southern California chaplaincies. We just gave $5,000 to Northern California equine practitioners for a new medical device they wanted. We contribute to the California Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Foundation, which cares for backstretch employees. The equine hospital we donated to Santa Anita. We took over and remodeled a recreation building at Santa Anita that has pool tables, a television lounge, workout rooms, and a cafeteria for backstretch workers.

Does the owner of Santa Anita benefit from Oak Tree?

Sure, for one thing everybody confuses us with Santa Anita. When we give to the local police department and fire department for their charities, they just assume it comes from Santa Anita.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure the idea put forth in the first excerpt that that OAK TREE won some kind of victory yesterday is the right thing to come out with ahead of the meeting. Just because a MI executive changed his tone a little doesn't mean anything. Fabulous Frank might wake up today and get pissed off at this particular article and "go off".

The food fight is only just beginning. Wait till tomorrow. ;)

Pick6
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Here is one difference (from wikipedia):

The Oak Tree Racing Association is an American not-for-profit corporation that exists to conduct live thoroughbred horse racing in Southern California.

Deepsix
05-19-2010, 05:48 PM
We keep talking about Oaktree so I pulled up this link. I'm unsure IF this is the current membership (but I think its close??) and its interesting to put some names/faces/bios with the organization.

http://www.oaktreeracing.com/content/oak-tree-directors

Fager Fan
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
Here is one difference (from wikipedia):

What's the difference? There's nothing wrong with being in business to make a profit. Do you really care if track management gives their profits to the BC and the Los Angeles philharmonic or it goes back into the track? Given the fact that racing's in real trouble all over the country, it seems smarter to me that the profits go back into the track. We need profitable tracks.