PDA

View Full Version : Infield Madness @ Pimlico

rastajenk
05-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Where's the thread about all-you-can-drink giving racing yet another bad rap. I was told that was a certainty. I found this in the hometown paper. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-hermann-preakness-20100515,0,1337296.story): "The infield wasn't exactly a family place. But it was a Happy Place, which is what Baltimore is going for with a new slogan for visitors unveiled last week.

That meant a slow day for police."

Boo, gloom-and-doomers....Hooray, Beer! :jump:

The Hawk
05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm glad to say I was dead wrong about this, I thought it would be a catastrophe.

ronsmac
05-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Pimlico made out like fat rats. They ran out of beer at a couple of the beer stations. The line for the all u can drink beer was at least 45 minutes. The mug was too small and most people only got 2or 3 beers for their 20 bucks because they were too frustrated by the lines and instead just forked up 3.50 per beer at the other stations. They even ran out of the mugs, so everyone who wanted one didn't get one, which turned out to be a good thing. If they have this same promo next yr. they must add at least 3 more beer stations.

Igeteven
05-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Please remember one can only rent beer, never own it. :lol:

bisket
05-16-2010, 01:36 PM
this reminds me of my college days in downtown baltimore at marshal's and shaefer's pub. they had .25 cent drafts on thursday evenings at both bars which were next to each other on light street. the line to get beer was always at 20 minute wait. you could hardly move in both places. i would get 4 drafts every time i went in line. luckily they were served in plastic cups. the mugs eliminated this angle :D . i thought of this when they announced the promotion. i don't think anyone would spend 80 bucks to not have to stand in line. :D

kenwoodall2
05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
What did Pimlico do to keep the infield partiers coming back?

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 05:57 PM
You knew they would have some kind of scam to limit the amount of beer they distributed.

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Where's the thread about all-you-can-drink giving racing yet another bad rap. I was told that was a certainty. I found this in the hometown paper. (http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-hermann-preakness-20100515,0,1337296.story): "The infield wasn't exactly a family place. But it was a Happy Place, which is what Baltimore is going for with a new slogan for visitors unveiled last week.

That meant a slow day for police."

Boo, gloom-and-doomers....Hooray, Beer! :jump:
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68050&highlight=drink

Hanover1
05-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Seems like they are going to have to do better than that to keep this generation of fans returning.....

The Hawk
05-16-2010, 07:45 PM
You knew they would have some kind of scam to limit the amount of beer they distributed.

I figured that would happen, but I thought it would then mean it would get ugly. Luckily, it didn't.

cj's dad
05-17-2010, 11:57 AM

I know for a fact all of this was pre-planned. Fewer spot-a-pots mean longer lines and fewer beer stands which created a log-jam. The only thing that was discussed in planning meetings but not implemented was to allow the $20 beer drinking customers to get only one beer at a time, i.e. not being able to get in line with multiple mugs. From what I was told they were in fact allowing multiple mug refills. But, as someone else posted, I spoke to 3 folks later that day and 3-4 beers seemed to be the limit. Most of the other beer was purchased.

BTW- zero arrests