PDA

View Full Version : Was Gomez the reason....

only11
05-16-2010, 08:13 AM
2 time eclipse winner ..one of.. if not the best finisher in the game,was he the reason Lucky couldnt win his recent races....i find that hard to believe,,!

slew101
05-16-2010, 09:36 AM
No, just some bad breaks. Gomez will make more money on Blame this year than he would have on Lookin at Lucky.

As for Garcia, let's not get crazy about this great ride. If First Dude came back and won, how many people would be saying Garcia moved too early? Everyone.

joanied
05-16-2010, 11:17 AM
I mentioned somewhere I was happy Gomez got Blame...he'll have fun with that horse...hell of a race off that long vacation.

I think Gomez did good with Dublin...after that tour of the outside rail (that colt is a head case0...he did good to get him on the rail...never thought he had a shot in the Preakness anyway...but Gomez rode good.

Garcia did give Lucky a good ride...saved that ground as instructed and finished really strong...but IMO, it was Lucky's grit that won the race...he was not gonn alet First Dude get by him again...great stretch run, very exciting...and regardless of whether or not it was the change in jocks...Baffert's desision was a good one...his luck did change:ThmbUp:

affirmedny
05-16-2010, 05:43 PM
No, just some bad breaks. Gomez will make more money on Blame this year than he would have on Lookin at Lucky.

As for Garcia, let's not get crazy about this great ride. If First Dude came back and won, how many people would be saying Garcia moved too early? Everyone.

At last a voice of reason! I didn't see the kid save ANY ground as people are saying and thought the move was a tad premature. Nothing against the kid, but anybody who thinks Gomez wouldn't at the very least have ridden him just as well is out of his gourd.

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Sometimes horses wake up with a different pair of hands. Doesn't mean Gomez isn't a great jock.

affirmedny
05-16-2010, 05:56 PM
Sometimes horses wake up with a different pair of hands. Doesn't mean Gomez isn't a great jock.
Agreed, but still the jockey change is way overblown. That was the least of the reasons he won yesterday.

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Agreed, but still the jockey change is way overblown. That was the least of the reasons he won yesterday.
At this level of rider, the jock means nothing, all these guys are great and very little seperates them.

Hanover1
05-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Horse found a soft spot...Gomez would have prevailed as well imo.

Stillriledup
05-16-2010, 06:04 PM

Exactly.

Anyone who thinks differently better rethink his (or her) affinity for human factors in handicapping and start worrying more about the actual racehorses. I think that horseplayers get in trouble when they start overrating how important the humans are in the equasion of trying to select racehorse winners.

CincyHorseplayer
05-16-2010, 06:08 PM
I mentioned somewhere I was happy Gomez got Blame...he'll have fun with that horse...hell of a race off that long vacation.

I think Gomez did good with Dublin...after that tour of the outside rail (that colt is a head case0...he did good to get him on the rail...never thought he had a shot in the Preakness anyway...but Gomez rode good.

Garcia did give Lucky a good ride...saved that ground as instructed and finished really strong...but IMO, it was Lucky's grit that won the race...he was not gonn alet First Dude get by him again...great stretch run, very exciting...and regardless of whether or not it was the change in jocks...Baffert's desision was a good one...his luck did change:ThmbUp:

I bet Dublin and I thought it was a sign of good faith to put Gomez on.I thought the colt was sitting on a big race and after a horrible break he did run a big one.

What amazed me yesterday is how absolutely great SS looked in the PP followed an exact opposite in the race itself.I thought Cal was too giddy with him and he paid for it.

joanied
05-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I bet Dublin and I thought it was a sign of good faith to put Gomez on.I thought the colt was sitting on a big race and after a horrible break he did run a big one.

What amazed me yesterday is how absolutely great SS looked in the PP followed an exact opposite in the race itself.I thought Cal was too giddy with him and he paid for it.

I didn't think Dublin would get a check...didn't expect him to take Gomez on a tour...as I mentioned before...Gomez rode him great, IMO...and to reply to some of the other posts on Gomez...I really think Garcia rode a great race...he stayed cool and got the job done...I also mentioned, most of that win was just Lucky being his gritty self...he loves to win, I just love that colt...but yeah, considering the smaller field and everything else...Gomez would have won on him too...but I ani't takin' nothing away from that kid!

Yeah, SS was on his toes...but when Barton mentioned he'd lost wieght, I pretty much decided right then he might not win this...especially with Lucky & First Dude...I had Paddy in there, thought with place & show, they could go either way...Paddy didn't run a lick, did he? I need to watch a replay anyway...
yeah, Calvin can't help himself...one reason we like him so much...me thinks we won't hear anymore predicitions from him, Lisa will make sure of it:D ...but he's got his 3 Derbies...unbeleivable!!
I'm happy about Lucky:jump:

cj's dad
05-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Will never understand why folks put so much reliance on jockeys;the absolute best win at 30% +- . You ain't got the horsepower, ya ain't winnin'. IMO

CincyHorseplayer
05-16-2010, 08:05 PM
I didn't think Dublin would get a check...didn't expect him to take Gomez on a tour...as I mentioned before...Gomez rode him great, IMO...and to reply to some of the other posts on Gomez...I really think Garcia rode a great race...he stayed cool and got the job done...I also mentioned, most of that win was just Lucky being his gritty self...he loves to win, I just love that colt...but yeah, considering the smaller field and everything else...Gomez would have won on him too...but I ani't takin' nothing away from that kid!

Yeah, SS was on his toes...but when Barton mentioned he'd lost wieght, I pretty much decided right then he might not win this...especially with Lucky & First Dude...I had Paddy in there, thought with place & show, they could go either way...Paddy didn't run a lick, did he? I need to watch a replay anyway...
yeah, Calvin can't help himself...one reason we like him so much...me thinks we won't hear anymore predicitions from him, Lisa will make sure of it:D ...but he's got his 3 Derbies...unbeleivable!!
I'm happy about Lucky:jump:

See,this is why I love you.You mention weight loss and headcase.Valuable inside tips from people who know horses!!

Paddy I thought wouldn't appreciate dirt.The race itself IMO was wide open.The result doesn't crush my handicapping ego by any means!!

affirmedny
05-18-2010, 12:28 AM

All class Mr. Gomez:

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/blog/_/name/gomez_garrett/id/5194940/the-preakness-martin-garcia

joanied
05-18-2010, 11:57 AM
See,this is why I love you.You mention weight loss and headcase.Valuable inside tips from people who know horses!!

Paddy I thought wouldn't appreciate dirt.The race itself IMO was wide open.The result doesn't crush my handicapping ego by any means!!

Thanks, Cincy....but, me thinks most in the know realize that poor Dublin has got something going on in his head...might need the Horse Whisperer to find out what it is...it's very strange that he consistantly breaks right...we can only assume they have checked out the inside of his mouth, and even his eyesight...which I guess sounds crazy...but some tiny thing could be bothering him...it's shame, he does have talent.

Wish everyone had been in the know about SS weight...I'd bet a lot that used him in their wagrers, would have thought twice if they knew the colt lost weight:faint:

joanied
05-18-2010, 11:59 AM
All class Mr. Gomez:

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/blog/_/name/gomez_garrett/id/5194940/the-preakness-martin-garcia

I don't think anyone thinks otherwise... Gomez:ThmbUp: