PDA

View Full Version : Note to track tv depts

strapper
05-15-2010, 01:42 PM
One of my pet peeves of in-house track coverage is the failure by some signals to keep the odds up on the screen as the horses are loading the gate. Does anyone else feel this way? I would think any last-second bettor would certainly want the up-to-the-second prices remaining at the ready.

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Feel that way myself and when I have a say, I always ask the odds to be kept on the screen for as long as possible.

However, sometimes a camera person/director has to reframe the shot when they take the odds off the screen and when all the horses are in the gate, that can be even more distracting, imo.

Also, although some tracks have very up to date graphics packages that can fold, unfold, scroll, etc. without adjusting the shot, the cost of such packages is still on the high side for many.

Craig

thespaah
05-15-2010, 06:08 PM
One of my pet peeves of in-house track coverage is the failure by some signals to keep the odds up on the screen as the horses are loading the gate. Does anyone else feel this way? I would think any last-second bettor would certainly want the up-to-the-second prices remaining at the ready.nevr could figure that one out.
I guess just like other sports tv productions, graphics are available from certain cameras only.

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Days of having the use of a camera for graphics were at least twernty-five years ago!

Craig

thespaah
05-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Days of having the use of a camera for graphics were at least twernty-five years ago!

Craigok..Then why is it during NFL telecasts there are no graphics whne end zone or reverse angle cameras are used during live action?
PLease explain why there are no graphics on "off angle" cameras during NHL games.
I am not stating you are incorrect. I am simply throwing this out there to get an answer.

craigbraddick
05-15-2010, 09:49 PM
ok..Then why is it during NFL telecasts there are no graphics whne end zone or reverse angle cameras are used during live action?
PLease explain why there are no graphics on "off angle" cameras during NHL games.
I am not stating you are incorrect. I am simply throwing this out there to get an answer.

Technically, one can put any graphic on any shot as long as you have the software for it in your production suite but to use your example, but is very easy to set the graphics package or instruct the vision mixer never to use graphics on certain camera shots.

But I think we are talking at cross purposes. I was referring to physically using a camera mainly for putting a non electronic graphic on the screen!

Sorry!

Craig